Update: Check out the comments below to see how the registration process has changed

Want to drive in Korea? Let’s rephrase that: drive legally in Korea? If so, you’re going to need to get a Korean Driver’s license. Don’t know how to get one? Don’t worry! That’s why you came here! Follow this guide, and you’ll be driving on the maddening streets of Korea in no time, where illegal maneuvers are the norm, and red lights are suggestions rather than the law. To get your license, you’re going to need a few things. The first two are obvious:

1) Your Alien Registration Card.

2) Your passport.

3) Your driver’s license from your home country. If you don’t have one, then you need to take a different approach. For this how-to guide, we’re only dealing with people who have a driver’s license from their home country.

4) 3 headshots that are 3×4 centimeters. You can get these done at Emart, for example, for a few thousand won.

5) 11,000 won in cash. The first five will be spent on your physical exam, and the last six will be spent on buying stamps. We’re not sure what these stamps are for, but we had to buy them anyway.

Once you’ve got all of this, then you’re ready to roll! Take everything your closest Department of Motor Vehicles, sign some papers, pass your physical exam, buy some stamps, and – voila! You can legally drive in Korea. Be warned, though; going this route means that you have to trade in your home country’s driver’s license for a Korean one. You can get your license back at any time if you trade back your Korean one. You’re essentially doing a swap. We don’t really understand the reasoning behind the swap, so if any of you know why this is done please tell us!

If you don’t know where your closest DMV is, then watch our video! At the end of it, we have a list of all the different locations, along with their phone numbers. Hopefully, if your co-teacher is nice (or your Korean skills are rocking) then you can call the DMV in your area up and ask how to get there. We went to the one in Incheon, and explain how to get there in the video as well. So click on the picture above for our video on How to Get Your Korean Driver’s License, or check out the sidebar for different formats.

Comments Related Latest Trending
WANK - Japan thumb eyk

Japanese Snowstorm of Destruction and DOOM!

Martina’s best friend is visiting Korea, so we couldn’t film anything this week. Fortunately, we have our fun Japan footage that we’ve been keeping secret forever…now ready to share!

17 see more
Living with your family Forever

TL;DR – Living with Parents…FOREVER

How long do people in Korea live with their parents, and how does it differ from what we’re used to from North America? We’ll talk about Kangaroo Dependents and your mom’s credit card in this week’s TL;DR!

374 see more
Black Day Party

Black Day Black Bean K-Drama Party!

Thanks for hanging out with us and Viki for our Black Day K-Drama party!

55 see more
indie thumb eyk

Korean Indie Playlist Time!

We’re back with another Korean Indie Playlist, and we’re talking about Swings, Joon, and Secret Agent Sound. Woot!

22 see more
Ron Burgundy

WTF – Ron Burgundy Portable Rice Eater

What I learned from this packaging: eat rice with this thing, grow a badass moustache, and the ladies will swoon over you. Thank you, Japan!

54 see more

Friday Night DeadChat – Fart Murder Mystery!

We had to pre-record this LiveChat, and thankfully, because someone was ripping farts. Guess whodunit in this week’s Fart Murder Mystery!

71 see more