Korean Blood Types

February 25, 2014

Comments

How can we have NOT talked about Blood Types all this time? Seriously! This is important stuff! Well, not really that important, because it’s not necessarily true, but it is shocking how our blood type descriptions do fit us quite well.

What shocks us, though, is that we fit our blood type descriptions better than we fit our Horoscope descriptions. I never really related with the Capricorn/Aquarius characteristics, and the only thing Martina agreed with as a Taurus was in being stubborn. These blood type qualities, though? Yes, I’m antisocial and Martina is a social butterfly. I can be sociable in a social setting, but I don’t put up with much and avoid stuff I don’t like. Also, supposedly I don’t care much for forgiving and forgetting, because I’m never offended, so there’s nothing to forgive or forget. It’s impossible to offend me. IMPOSSIBLE. Maybe that’s why I’m not in any Kpop fandoms? OHHH BURN! No wait don’t go! It was a joke! Ahhhh. There I go again being too blunt.

I wonder if Korea has the equivalent to Big Poppa. “Who they attractin with that line ‘what’s yo name what’s yo sign'”? In Korea it’d be more like “what’s yo name what’s yo blood type?” And instead of Big Poppa it’d be Big Abba. I’d totally listen to that song. On a more serious note, hey you: Kpop Celebrities. I know you read these blog posts (you don’t have to hide anymore). Where’s that club for AB people? I need to know plz.

Soo Zee was telling us how, in first dates, blood types very often come up in conversation. Maybe not to any great depth, but it’s asked, even if just in passing. Have you been asked your Astrological sign on your first dates?

I only know one person who’s really into astrology. I won’t name him, in case he’s reading. We did have a chat with him, once, though, and it was freaky how into it he was. It’s even down to the point where he can say “it’s this day in the Astrological calendar so ______ kind of stuff is supposed to happen today.” I remember he blamed the cracking of his toilet as a result of it, because technology was supposed to act up that day. I wouldn’t consider my pooper technology, really, though I suppose it technically stands up to the definition. You know, I guess that conversation we had was so specific that he probably already knows that it’s him, so there’s no point in us naming him anymore. Ok, fine. You win. His name was G-Dragon. Ha! No.

Also, there’s a fairly popular webtoon on the Korean net about Blood Types. I’m gonna link it here for relevance: BOOYA! Some of them are actually quite hilarious. They’re worth checking out :D

Yeah! So that’s it for this week’s TL;DR. Please let us know if there’s any characteristics we missed out on for the blood types, and also if you’re in any way shocked by our blood types. We’re shocked how much they fit us. Maybe you guise were like “pffft it figures.” I wonder if there’s a common bloodtype amongst commenters here. Maybe it’s only A types that are drawn to commenting? I wonder. There’s only one way to find out: by clicking on this pretty button below right here:

Comments

TL;DR

Korean Blood Types

1. what about blood types like B+ does that matter at all??

2. hhmm.. I’ve always found it interesting how some they belive so much in the blood types.. (well or in horoscopes for that matter). But I gotta say I’m more keen to belive in what the astrological signs tell about a person than that what blood type you are. I mean in relation to blood types there are only 4 types (or more if we have to include whether it is positive or negative.. but in other words 4 in general) soooooo does that mean that all those countless people around the world are divided into only 4 cathegories… I’m not saying that 12 cathegories is much either but still.. if I had to choose, I’d prefer the Astrological signs
    Anyways, I’m also AB- and I can see myself fitting some of the charasteristics you guys mentioned but regarding others I’m not so sure really, the same goes for my sign though, I agree only about some of the stuff they say about it.. although, of course there wouldn’t be such a thing that grasps all you personality.. I mean that’s what makes us different ;P

3. I’m blood type O and this sounds so contradicting but I’m an outgoing, extroverted-like person with introverted characteristics. I hate small talks and don’t like people but I’m outgoing and loud. Not too sure about the workaholic part because I love to work but hate it.. major procrastinator.

4. Blood types makes me remember U-kiss… a long time ago, when Alexander and Kibum were still part of the group, they did a show called “U-kiss Vampire” based on their blood types and it was HILARIOUS! Also, Mblaq’s fans are called A+ because all the Mblaq members are blood type A… this stuff is really part of korean culture….
    although I’m blood type O, I’m introverted but I really like organizing events and I always give my all in everything I do (actually only if I like what I do…)and I don’t get angry easily but when I do… even the devil gets scared, lol joking (or not), :/

• I always wondered why mblaq’s fans are called A+. I thought it was because their fans are the best? Kinda like mfbty

• I thought it was weird when I found out why we were called A+, but the birth of our fan club name is pretty hilarious all thanks to Joon, who wanted to change his blood type the second he found out everyone in the group was type A

(but we are the best XD)

• I wonder if their company did it on purpose or if it was a coincidence?

• It seemed like a coincidence, because they all genuinely looked shocked to find out they were all type A, especially Joon, but maybe the company chose the MBLAQ members based on blood type? That must have been some audition. Dancing? Singing? Rapping? Who cares. What’s your blood type? A? you’re in! xDDD

5. I find it interesting that my blood type O and my zodiac sign (Leo) seem to fit perfectly with one another, however I’m like the complete opposite, I’m very passive and introverted (also very lazy and like to procrastinate) more of a follower than a leader. though I can be very unforgiving and apparently scary when angered so maybe there is a tiny truth in all of that stuff.

6. Haha I wonder what blood types meemers and spudgy are.

7. I’m a blood type B+. Does the +/- have anything to say for koreans? I think a lot of what I have heard about blood type B matches me, but there will always be some differences.

8. I’ve known my blood type since I got my tonsils removed and I’m blodd type AB. Which is really obvious because I’m clearly the smartest and the most unique one *cough* oops hi.

Let me tell you man, Simon…you and I are THE BEST. Plus, we don’t have to donate our blood because it doesn’t match MWAHAHA! (okay, a lot of my friends want to donate but man I hate that shit, no me gusta)

9. Hmm I definitely think I match my blood type (O) – extroverted, organized, workaholic, but definitely also ruthless and vengeful when I’m wronged haha. I think my boyfriend also matches his blood type (A) – introverted and over-analyzing.

10. Xan

I’m B+… but the traits couldn’t be further from my personality. On the other hand, AB fits me perfectly >.< Oh well… :)

11. So Simon as a cusp, are you Capriquarius??

12. I really want to know my blood type! However, i know my father is blood type O and that describes him perfectly!!!!
    I told myself that i would go donate my blood to gind out. But i’m afraid of needles so it’s like my carrot on the end of a stick. I reeeeally want to know now!!

13. I knew my blood type… I had to get my blood drawn once and they just gave me a card with my bloodtype on it. Guess it’s also something you need to have in your wallet if something happens, they don’t have to draw blood anymore to know which blood type you have, but can see it on the card and get the blood needed for you if you have blood loss.
    Did you know that there is a I think it’s a Korean comic strip? RealCrazyMan’s blood types comic.
    It’s about the blooddtypes. They give situations like when it’s Christmas and they explain on a very funny way how the different bloodtypes would react on that situation.
    Gotta say AB is awesome in those xD
    Go Simon! xD

I’m blood type B and I’m proud of it xD

14. I have O blood type too ! ^-^ but I think that what you’ve talked about is just one enormous superstition :D coz I’m more like AB…
    btw did you know Martina that we’re the best potential blood donors ? ^u^

15. I’m O- and I’m so introverted, and I don’t agree with being a workaholic as I’m not super lazy, but I’m not that hard-working either. I’m more like in-between or I am when I need to be. :P Here in the U.K if you’re O- you get a gold blood donation card, and everyone else get the same generic cards haha. Always thought it was unfair we can only receive O- and everyone else can take our blood, you vampires!

16. Also, to comment on your comments on Western v. Eastern, I will confirm
    that pretty much everyone in America knows their astrological sign, but
    no one I know actually believes in any of it. For example, I know that
    I’m a Scorpio, but that means absolutely nothing to me. One of my
    friends always used to say things like, “I dunno! I’m a Gemini! I can’t
    decide!” when we were in high school, but it was always jokingly. I also
    had a teacher that would use star signs as an icebreaker/conversation
    starter. None of us actually put any kind of trust in horoscopes,
    though. I tend to roll my eyes at people that actually read horoscopes
    for real — they’re just generic statements that you can MAKE true if
    you want to badly enough. You know, self-fulfilling prophecy.

On
    the other hand, I have a chronic illness and have to have my blood drawn
    at least every six months, and it’s been this way for several years. I
    still have no idea what my blood type is. When I went to Japan, everyone
    asked me what my blood type is, and I just shrugged and said, “I don’t
    know!” which was always met with shocked faces.

17. Don’t know my blood type ;~; But I AM a Taurus! :D And year of the ssssssssnake!~ Thhhh~

18. So Vulcans are all AB? LoL

19. I’m blood type O, but AB literally described me. I am nothing like O….well maybe the “I’LL FORGIVE BUT NEVER FORGET!”

20. The webtoon is in Korean. Are there any websites that translate it into English ?

21. Simon & Martina can u talk about Pollution in Korea and china , I know u haven’t gone to china but I read on the news somewhere that china pollution gonna affect neighboring country like Korea and japan , and from what I read the pollution in china is really bad so how is it in Korea air & water . etc

22. Wow, if Simon is an AB, that just boosts my favoring to ABs. They seem like my type XD

23. It’s also interesting to me to compare/contrast the bloodtype stereotypes with those that exist in Japan. For example, ABs are INCREDIBLY stigmatized in Japan because they’re seen as “unpredictable,” “eccentric,” and “opinionated,” which are disagreeable traits in Japanese society. You guys mentioned that Bs are stigmatized in Korea, whereas in Japan, they’re seen as very laid back, go with the flow kind of people that tend to be charismatic and make good leaders — which is good in Japanese culture.

But the one thing I’d really like to point out is the irony of Asia’s obsession with bloodtype personality traits. Did you know that the original research done into bloodtyping was actually a racist effort to prove, biologically, that Asians were all of a certain bloodtype, and thus inherently inferior to Europeans? Yup. True story. So actually, yes, the descriptions were all completely biased. Now, from the original researcher’s point of view, they were biased toward his particular race. Now it’s interesting that they’ve taken on a life of their own and completely different bloodtypes are viewed as favorable/unfavorable based on the culture of the viewer.

• Interesting Lynnette… can you recommend anything further to read on it?

• Okay, so I mixed it up a bit, haha. Blood-typing was originally used by Nazi Germany to perpetuate ideals of “pure blood” and racial supremacy. It was also used in Japan to racially stereotype Taiwanese people during Japan’s occupation of China. Once blood types were medically discovered, they were immediately hijacked by people trying to make it into a racist comment on personalities/violent tendencies. You can read more about it by Googling “Blood Eugenics,” or simply “Origins of blood type stereotypes.”

Here’s an interesting article from a German website: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/how-german-blood-purity-research-advanced-medical-knowledge-a-902865.html

And here’s an interesting article about blood type culture in Japan: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20170787

And also an article on a Korean blog about blood-type stereotype: http://blog.korea.net/?p=5911

Ultimately, all books that have been published regarding “personality traits” based on blood-typing were ALL written by people with absolutely NO medical background.

• Side note: Did you ever watch that “U-KISS Vampire” show? Hilarious. They would divide the group up by blood-type and put them in weird situations and analyze how they reacted. Of course, I’m sure the editors skewed it to make them all perfectly match their blood-type descriptions, but it was still entertaining, nevertheless.

• I watched that a while back. It was really entertaining. Like you said, I’m sure they were told to play up their O traits or A traits or whatever. Dong-ho even hinted at that (I don’t remember if it was in the show or somewhere else), I think, cuz he got some backlash for being such an obnoxious B type, and he was like “guise, you know this is a variety show, right?”

24. Why am I so mind blown that blood type is the meaning behind B1A4’s name? It’s one of those things I was always curious about but constantly forget to look up.

Martina I love your hamster voice! You should do cartoon voices!

I have no clue what my blood type is, which is a tad odd considering I’ve had surgery hmmm. Based on your descriptions though, it sounds like I may be blood type A.

25. hmmm Japan also puts a lot of stock in blood types for fortune telling etc and the run down is largely similar, but with A being more of a negative thing [too straight-laced, serious, kind of OCD, a total glasses character in a way] and B being less negative [creative, go at their own pace]. i think that AB is still quirky and O is well-liked, but… i’m not super familiar with this stuff.
    btw, how awesome would a nasty avengers be? with spudgy as thor and meemers as loki. “why don’t you love me brother?” “you’re a dick.” yup. perfect.

26. I’m a bloodtype B(+), so I’m a douche. Yup. But I’ll twist it around. I have a clear opinion on the aspects of my day-to-day life and what is happening, I also like to debate, and have people agree with my, so I tend to want to convince them of my thinking, but would not forcefeed it.

I literally have the attention-span of a burning match-stick, so yeah I get bored easily, and tend to search for things to keep me busy. Which also means that I AM busy a lot, I work a lot and will be doing multiple things at once.

On a side-note, for your previous Music Monday! Rainbow Blaxx has the double XX to represent the female chromosome. Thought you might wanna know :’)

27. That’s interesting! I think that my personality matches my horoscope (Pisces) extremely well, if not precisely. But I have never really looked into blood type before. I don’t know which blood type I am so I asked my parents for theirs; who aren’t entirely sure themselves but think they’re O. Does this mean I am an O for certain?

My friend (who introduced me) and I have been watching your videos for a while now, and enjoy laughing and learning from them. Thank you Simon and Martina (and Spudgy)! ^^

28. I think its the culture, they don’t eat a lot of fried food, and they don’t like tanning so sunscreen is always on their face.

• Koreans eat SOOOO much fried food. Fried chicken especially is really popular, often there are multiple fried chicken places in just one building. Fried food is really rich for me so I didn’t eat it too often in America but in Korea I don’t have much of a choice. If my coteachers or boss want to go somewhere after work it’s usually a fried chicken and beer place.

I do see plenty of Koreans with skin problems as well, one of the Korean teachers at my school had lots of skin trouble… she recently got her face lazered though, face was really red when she came to work but it’s starting to look normal again.

• Not tanning is true, but the not eating fried foods isn’t. There is fried chicken everywhere in Korea, plus a lot of street food or easy to make food is fried, like dumplings or any sort of on-a-stick food you buy from a street vendor.

29. *High five for type AB!* Sadly, some of the stuff for AB actually makes sense and fits me xD

30. I am blood type 0 and that is totally like me. Like its so scary that it fits me this much

31. I swear it’s the positive/negative signs!!! >:U Check your blood types and see if they’re negative or positive because it seems like the one’s with negative signs are the ones that aren’t agreeing with what their blood type description says

32. Ok, I´ve read in some horoscopes that different signs go well with some signs, and some not. There were also like, recommendations on which signs that were good to date and what signs wouldn´t match you. Is it the same with bloodtypes? For example AB matches well with O but not with B? :) Just curious!

33. Heya! Great video guys, I enjoyed watching it. TL;DR’s always make my tuesday night economics lectures enjoyable (^_^). On a side note, I found this really disturbing Tumblr stuff and wanted to leave a message. Do not let yourself be bothered by it and take it too seriously!!!!!!!! Fighting!!! You do a great job and I, for my part, love your video’s, jokes, style and clothing, reviews, spudgy, memer’s, stories, website, bloopers, THE INDIE CHARTS <3 <3 <3 and so forth and so forth!!! …. Maaaan, I guess I behave like a bloodtype O (o.O)…

34. Biased on the descriptions I’m ether A or O… I’ve had my blood tested before but that was always for like- am I anemic or am I low in ‘this’ vitamin/ mineral. And so I’ve never actually been told what my blood type is. I know my dad it o negative and my friend is the rarest- o positive so… -shrug- IDK?

35. MORE LIKE A WORDBANK. like if you got the joke xD

36. The page suddenly started acting up :
    I’m type A+ and whoa, I really fit the description. I’m an introvert, I overanalyze things, I’m horribly cautious, I usually stick to the rules and yes, I am a good student but only because I learn new things easily (if I wasn’t so lazy, I could have been an extremely good student but I don’t care). And sadly, yes, opportunities do pass me by all the time and it’s one of the things I hate about myself the most… Oh, and I mumble or sing to myself quite often too. Hi 5, Soo Zee!

37. My blood type is 0+, but it really doesn’t match my personality, I’m much closer to AB. I doubt the antigens on my erythrocytes have any effect on my personality, though xD

38. I am type A, and I totally agree with the descriptions I’ve seen. And the weird thing is that I’m always attracted to guys who are type B and they end up being total jerks…

39. I’m blood type A, though my personality matches to type B a lot more. I honestly thought for years that I was bloodtype B, mainly because of the characteristics type B has are so me, unlike type A. I do have some similarities with type O as well, since I’m really out-going person, but I do get bored very easily and frankly, I am a big asshole. :D Of course in Finland it’s also more about the horoscopes than blood types, I found out my blood type only in last September when I was in hospital (when I got diagnosed for Hodgkin’s lymphoma) and when I went to get a blood test I asked them to check my blood type as well. A+ not bad, so to say.

40. Maybe type A? That was the tentative answer I got from my parents, but they weren’t exactly sure. And analytical + shy really does describe me just about perfectly. Hmm. Interesting.