February 2, 2013
BoA “Disturbance” – Vote for it Here!
Ok, so we’ve been talking about this for a while now. We need to find a way so that girls and girl groups stop getting screwed over in the KpopCharts. There are some totally awesome songs out there, as well as totally awesome groups, that we just don’t get the chance to talk about unless they’re mega huge, like Girl’s Generation. Otherwise, smaller rookie groups with a fraction of the views will get voted in. Which, sure, is good for rookie groups, because they get a chance, but they’re not necessarily always a fair representation of what’s cool in Kpop at the moment.
So what do you think of our suggestion of us picking from the top 3 videos, rather than just automatically picking the top video? It’s got a few benefits:
1) We have more of an input on who we review, which means more fun for some reviews. If we get stuck talking about a video we don’t like, then the Kpop Music Monday might not be as fun, and we’d rather have fun reviews. We can’t like every song that’s in first place, you know?
2) We can balance out the reviews. Kpop Music Monday is a sausage fest. Girls need love, too. They’re a big part of Kpop, but you wouldn’t know that from watching our Kpop Music Mondays.
3) There’ll be an element of surprise, which is absent lately. People know who we’re gonna review by midnight Saturday, while our old Music Mondays were like “OMG! Who are you gonna review?”
There are some cons, of course
1) OMG Y U SO BIAS?!?! As soon as we pick someone who isn’t in first place…can you imagine the hellfury we’ll get from that fangroup? U GUISE ARE HATERZ! We’d be called every name in the book. One of the reasons why we built these KpopCharts was so that people could stop accusing us of that. We’d face it again. We’d be doing it for a good cause, but – hell – do we really want to deal with more whining?
2) That’s really the only con i can think of, unless you can think of others. Guise?
Let us know what you think.
Oh: and BoA’s video’s good, and deserves to be reviewed, which is why we’re talking about this right now.
Sistar19 “Gone Not Around Any Longer” – Vote for it Here!
Woohoo! Sistar’s back! Well, not fully back, but we’re big Sistar fans, aka Sissies. Alone was great, Loving U was even better, and this song is pretty cool as well. Not as great as Loving U, though. That makes me want to dance around everywhere. I don’t have that urge here. Doesn’t mean that it’s a bad song, though! It’s got saxomophones, and saxomophones are great. M83 fans, anyone? Midnight City is groovy, baby.
Also, this video is really well done. Really well done. That scene where the boy is getting pushed, and then he disappears through the door. HOLY CRAP IS THAT EVER IMPACTFUL! That, right there, is quality emotion-wrangling. That’s profound, man.
One thing we will say, though: we can’t remember the name of this song for the life of us. It would be easier if it was Gone Around Not Any Longer, because then I can abbreviate it as “GANAL” which is funny, and I can remember funny. Maybe if I say it a few more times I can remember.
GONE NOT AROUND ANY LONGER. Repeat it in a mirror. I must remember the name of this song!
Eric Nam “Heaven’s Door” – Vote for it Here!
See: we talk about rookies sometimes as well! We can’t talk about every rookie for Kpop Music Monday, because there are only so many Mondays per year, and about ten rookies per Monday (ha!) but we can at least try to shed some light on them in our KpopCharts and hopefully get you voting for them.
Side note, we actually saw a Malamute in Korea. If you’re ever in Hongdae at night on the weekend, there’s a cotton candy place at one of the busiest intersections in the clubby area, and the small cotton candy machine is only memorable because there’s a giant malamute there. It’s just sitting there, usually sleeping, with the owner. Big crowds of people gather round to see the dog, rather than get the cotton candy. We never actually had any of the cotton candy there, now that we think about it, but THE DOGGY IS SO CUTE! Well, not too cute. I tried petting it once and it growled at me. NEVER AGAIN!
THERE ARE 345 COMMENTS.
CLICK HERE TO SEE THEM OR ADD YOURS!