5 Minute Makeup

February 25, 2014

Comments

Imagine this. It’s 11:40am on a Saturday. Your friend phones you. You slap your hand around trying to feel for your phone on your side table. You pick up the phone groggily. “What!? I’m sleeping! This better be good” you mumble grumpily. “Oh it’s good alright. I won a contest to meet Big Bang and 2NE1 for lunch and I can bring one lucky friend. They’re going to be outside your house in 20 minutes in a bright red limo! GET YER ARSE OUT OF BED!!!!” You hang up the phone and in one fluid movement you’re out of bed and running into the shower. “20 minutes?!” you frantically think…”that’s not even enough time to wash and dry my hair! I guess it’s a hat day. Well at least I can put my makeup on in five minutes or less thanks to Martina’s ‘5 Minute Makeup video’ I recently watched on YouTube. I should take a selfie with TOP and send it to her as a thank you.”

Yes, yes you should because one day this makeup tutorial could get you a hot date with a kpop idol. Okay. So perhaps it won’t, but it will save your butt when you have to look better than usual and only have a short amount of time to accomplish it. When it comes to putting on makeup quickly, it depends on where you are going and who you are facing. This 5 Minute tutorial is intended to be used for a face-to-face kindof of situation since it helps you maintain a natural look when up close to another human being. Getting ready to be on camera? That’s a whole different ball game!

BIG HOWEVER! In order for this tutorial to work for you, you have to use an eyeshadow that best matches your skin’s undertone and lightens your skin. Your aim is to make your eyes look bigger and brighter, something that dark colours will not achieve. I’ve added some pictures of different eyeshadow shades you could use depending on your skin colour. I use white or a light pink eyeshadow to match my undertone, what would you use? If you don’t know what you’d use, I want to talk about those pesky undertones and how to find what your natural colour is so that you can use this 5 Minute Makeup look perfectly!

Skin Undertones And How To Match Your Natural Colours

I remember when I was a little kid my mom had this amazing flip book with little swatches of fabric. This little fabric makeup book was created so that you could find your skin’s undertone. You skin colour might be called white or black, but your undertone is totally different! Using this little fabric flip book you could physically see what fabric matched your skin. For me, I matched with the pinks very well and clashes horribly with the oranges. So I found out that I am white with a pink undertone. Your undertones can be pink, yellow, peach, golden, or brown. So you can be white with a yellow undertone, white with a golden undertone, black with a golden undertone, white with a pink undertone, olive with a yellow undertone. There are a whole slew of confusing terms for this like having cool or warm shades, having blue or red or green undertones, but I frankly don’t understand them very well. Skin can also be fair, ivory, olive, dark, golden, bronze…wahhhh so many choices! Essentially, you’ve got a basic skin colour + an undertone of either pink or red, peachy (pink+yellow), or yellow or golden. I don’t fully understand the green undertone so if anyone can help me figure that undertone out I’d love to know! I’ve seen examples of green undertones online but no matter how hard I look I can’t see where the green is coming from.

So this is my little cheat sheet:

-Pink + white skin go for a white/beige or light pink eyeshadow

-Yellow~golden + white skin go for a white/peach toned eyeshadow

-Red or yellow + olive skin go for dark rose or red brown (not pink)/non-shimmery bronze/non-shimmery copper (this is the toughest skin to match the undertone)

-Yellow or Golden + caramel skin go for a light brown/non-shimmery gold eyeshadow

-Red~golden + dark chocolate skin go for a medium brown/dark chocolate pink eyeshadow

The key to making your eyes look naturally bigger and brighter is to use a lighter colour than your skin without drawing attention to the fact that you are wearing makeup. Using a lower lid liner that is a light sparkling colour helps open up your eye as well, and I find a silver or gold colour does that really well. A lot of people use white but since most people’s skin is not actually true white I find it looks very obvious you’re wearing white. The silver and gold colours blend in a lot better to your skin thus giving you a naturally bright eyed bushy tailed look. I know that wearing pink, peach, or gold isn’t a natural skin colour, but if it’s close to your skin tone it does’t look as popping as wearing hot pink, purple, or baby powder blue. Of course these colours look awesome, but when you’re trying to sneakily pull of the natural look, avoid anything with too much shimmer or a very unnatural colour. Like when I wear super natural hot pink. You can’t even tell right? Hahahah! Let me know if these tips or tricks help out a bit! I’d love to hear what your go-to colour is and what colours look dreadful on you. For me, orange is the devil. It looks terrible on me!

Comments

Beauty,Open the Happy

5 Minute Makeup

1. In response to the comment below, I also use Urban Decay’s eyeshadow primer potion! BUUUTTTTT Etude House had a sale and I bought their primer for $3.00 and it works the same. That’s total nonsense cheap!

2. i was timed while i colored in kindergarten so i realized pretty fast

3. My hand-eye coordination is horrible when it comes to eye make-up. I always end up looking like I put eyeliner on while riding a horse. Although, my handwriting is horrible too… I wonder if it is connected?

4. Ely

Such a useful and awesome tutorial!! You’re so good at putting eyeliner! I’m jealous! Haha! Btw, what kind of eyeshadow base do you use? :) I know nothing about makeup and I’m wondering… hehe… ^^

5. Rarw I’m one of the few people who can’t wear mascara, my monolids make my lashes point down so I can’t really curl them either :( Anyone know a good curler?…a non-heating one thanks…pretty sure I’ll take out an eye with a heat lash curler….

6. I actually don’t mind the dewy look, to me it feels lighter than the matte bb I tried. I’ve never checked out how it looks on camera though. After watching your bb cream video recently I bought a bunch of Etude House samples online and they are freaking amazing!~ you’ve totally converted me to bb cream, and the Korean ones are better than the other ones I’ve tried. My skin tone is very similar to yours, so I’ll give the bad guy bb a try sometime. I can’t wait to come to Korea later this year and stock up in person!!!

7. Exactly like that!

8. Oh how I have missed the martina makeup videos!!!
    Special little girly corner. :-)

I absolutely love the 5-minute face. It’s actually my go to make up plan whenever im just do day to day make uo. Bb cram totally makes it easier too.

When im really lazy I use my blush as eyeshadow also since I have red tones in my skin it actually looks natural on me. I bumo up the whole look with lip gloss cuz…shinee. (Kekeke. Kpop reference)

Anywho! Love how detailed the blog post is!

9. if you don’t hv time, you should totally try cushion thing! it works perfectly!

10. I love this! *dances* I love this *dances* I love this *dances* Anyone? anyone? :)

11. Eyeshadow base:
    I was using an awesome Australian one that I got in Melbourne from an amazing fan (don’t know the name off the top of my head) but I used it up quickly! I re-filled the container with my Urban Decay eyeshadow base b/c I love the application container.
    Liquid eyeliner:
    I use Kat Von D for my liquid eyeliner b/c it doesn’t go on all liquid and drippy and the brush is flexible for my style of cat eyes . BUT BUT BUT every person has a different feeling for liquid eyeliner so I recommend going to a place you can test a bunch (like Sephora) and try drawing a whole bunch of horizontal lines on your wrist. Then I walk around a bit and after 2 minutes I lick my finger and smudge it down all the lines vertically. You can see which one smudge easily, pull off, or chip away. After that I narrow it down to my favourite brush. Some are too stiff to make a cat eye, some are too flexible and can’t make a straight line. GOOD LUCK! :D

12. Non liquid eyeliner is Khôl pencil in French. I don’t know what it is in English…
    I love this look! Simple and fresh-looking, the way I like make-up. I also like using silver or glittery white on the lower-inside of my eyes to make it look like I had an entire night of sleep when in fact… hum.
    I’m not a fan of the big wings though… In my opinion you put a little too much eyeliner. When I put it on it makes my eyes look bigger, not smaller.
    Thank you!

13. I’ve always thought about using makeup, but I’m just too afraid. I always thought makeup was to help pretty people look prettier, and that it would be wasted on a person like me. I figured it would actually make someone like me look uglier. Also, eye makeup makes me nervous (putting stuff near the eye). And I wonder if it’s worth it when I’m born with a coloboma (eye defect). What’s the point of highlighting a weird feature? And I also have to wear glasses. Still, I sometimes dream that makeup will make me look pretty. I really like how you use makeup, Martina. Maybe someday I will become brave enough.

I really like your tutorial Martina! Maybe you could do one about a quick make-up job that is not focused on the eyes, but one that will make your face look prettier?

• Hi Sunflower, I know I’m not Martina but I totally want to reply to your comment because you seem like a genuinely good, kind person. With makeup it really is a learning process, and trying something you haven’t learned yet is totally scary. but makeup can be really fun if you don’t take it too seriously! I think if you are too nervous to work with your eyes, start by going on a search to find the perfect lipgloss for you. Have fun going into stores and sampling the lipsticks to find something that just makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Usually other women in makeup stores are preoccupied with sampling their own stuff, so I promise its a safe environment. Just approach it as a fun, artistic adventure and I’m sure you’ll come across a lip color that you can wear to feel pretty and confident!

14. I like taking a metallic shiny creme…thing. It’s like eyeshadow, and putting dabbing it right in the middle of my lid. It kind of looks like shimmery moth wings. I like it. :3

15. Ahhh, thanks for posting such a great video! Finally, an actual 5 minute face tutorial! I just tried it out, and it was the easiest thing ever. I’ve never been successful with the “5-minute face” prior to this… I actually had a book (!!) on how to do the perfect five-minute face… that had way too many steps. Worst purchase ever T_T

16. that super junior break was badass lol
    i love martina terms
    “bumpy eyelid wrinkles” and “black what is that called, black crayon thingy pencil gel makeup opposite of liquid normal black pencil crayon thingy… eyeliner? just eyeliner”

17. Martina, is this with your eyelash exstentions too?? :D

18. Aaaaah Martina, bless you. I learned how to do my winged eyeliner because of you, and I get many compliments because of that. ^_^

But I DO have a question: how do you get your eyeliner to work so smoothly?! I use the same as you, the Kat Von D tattoo liner, but it gets sticky as I apply it, especially if I’m already wearing eyeshadow. T_T I usually have to rub the bristles (ooh so nasty) on a piece of toilet paper to get all the sticky (and maybe dried?) liner off before I apply. And even then it’s a hit or miss (le sigh).

Help pleeeez?

• YES. Okay, I think I may be just adding too much eyeshadow?? haha, it likes to coat the bristles which make it hard for the eyeliner stuff to leak out.

Aaaaand, yes, I haven’t been snapping it shut all the way apparently. I shall remedy this.
      Thank you for the help and advice! xoxox ^^

19. Woah! I didn’t know they did custom palettes! Probably because I had blinders up when I was buying mine. All I could think was, “I must have the exact same palette Martina uses so that I can do my makeup in the same awesome way that she does.” That is brilliant! I will totally do that once my palette gets as worn down as yours! SO EXCITED!!! :D

20. Heh, I had a hat day once, my roommate had gotten bored and didn’t want to study one night so he spent an hour and a half putting my hair into super thing braids when it was still wet.
    I looked like a poodle with a perm from the 80s and couldn’t get my hair to go back to normal until that evening when I took a shower, ugh.

• Haha I did that when I was 9 and everybody at school made fun of me! Never again!