5 Minute Makeup

February 25, 2014

Comments

Imagine this. It’s 11:40am on a Saturday. Your friend phones you. You slap your hand around trying to feel for your phone on your side table. You pick up the phone groggily. “What!? I’m sleeping! This better be good” you mumble grumpily. “Oh it’s good alright. I won a contest to meet Big Bang and 2NE1 for lunch and I can bring one lucky friend. They’re going to be outside your house in 20 minutes in a bright red limo! GET YER ARSE OUT OF BED!!!!” You hang up the phone and in one fluid movement you’re out of bed and running into the shower. “20 minutes?!” you frantically think…”that’s not even enough time to wash and dry my hair! I guess it’s a hat day. Well at least I can put my makeup on in five minutes or less thanks to Martina’s ‘5 Minute Makeup video’ I recently watched on YouTube. I should take a selfie with TOP and send it to her as a thank you.”

Yes, yes you should because one day this makeup tutorial could get you a hot date with a kpop idol. Okay. So perhaps it won’t, but it will save your butt when you have to look better than usual and only have a short amount of time to accomplish it. When it comes to putting on makeup quickly, it depends on where you are going and who you are facing. This 5 Minute tutorial is intended to be used for a face-to-face kindof of situation since it helps you maintain a natural look when up close to another human being. Getting ready to be on camera? That’s a whole different ball game!

BIG HOWEVER! In order for this tutorial to work for you, you have to use an eyeshadow that best matches your skin’s undertone and lightens your skin. Your aim is to make your eyes look bigger and brighter, something that dark colours will not achieve. I’ve added some pictures of different eyeshadow shades you could use depending on your skin colour. I use white or a light pink eyeshadow to match my undertone, what would you use? If you don’t know what you’d use, I want to talk about those pesky undertones and how to find what your natural colour is so that you can use this 5 Minute Makeup look perfectly!

Skin Undertones And How To Match Your Natural Colours

I remember when I was a little kid my mom had this amazing flip book with little swatches of fabric. This little fabric makeup book was created so that you could find your skin’s undertone. You skin colour might be called white or black, but your undertone is totally different! Using this little fabric flip book you could physically see what fabric matched your skin. For me, I matched with the pinks very well and clashes horribly with the oranges. So I found out that I am white with a pink undertone. Your undertones can be pink, yellow, peach, golden, or brown. So you can be white with a yellow undertone, white with a golden undertone, black with a golden undertone, white with a pink undertone, olive with a yellow undertone. There are a whole slew of confusing terms for this like having cool or warm shades, having blue or red or green undertones, but I frankly don’t understand them very well. Skin can also be fair, ivory, olive, dark, golden, bronze…wahhhh so many choices! Essentially, you’ve got a basic skin colour + an undertone of either pink or red, peachy (pink+yellow), or yellow or golden. I don’t fully understand the green undertone so if anyone can help me figure that undertone out I’d love to know! I’ve seen examples of green undertones online but no matter how hard I look I can’t see where the green is coming from.

So this is my little cheat sheet:

-Pink + white skin go for a white/beige or light pink eyeshadow

-Yellow~golden + white skin go for a white/peach toned eyeshadow

-Red or yellow + olive skin go for dark rose or red brown (not pink)/non-shimmery bronze/non-shimmery copper (this is the toughest skin to match the undertone)

-Yellow or Golden + caramel skin go for a light brown/non-shimmery gold eyeshadow

-Red~golden + dark chocolate skin go for a medium brown/dark chocolate pink eyeshadow

The key to making your eyes look naturally bigger and brighter is to use a lighter colour than your skin without drawing attention to the fact that you are wearing makeup. Using a lower lid liner that is a light sparkling colour helps open up your eye as well, and I find a silver or gold colour does that really well. A lot of people use white but since most people’s skin is not actually true white I find it looks very obvious you’re wearing white. The silver and gold colours blend in a lot better to your skin thus giving you a naturally bright eyed bushy tailed look. I know that wearing pink, peach, or gold isn’t a natural skin colour, but if it’s close to your skin tone it does’t look as popping as wearing hot pink, purple, or baby powder blue. Of course these colours look awesome, but when you’re trying to sneakily pull of the natural look, avoid anything with too much shimmer or a very unnatural colour. Like when I wear super natural hot pink. You can’t even tell right? Hahahah! Let me know if these tips or tricks help out a bit! I’d love to hear what your go-to colour is and what colours look dreadful on you. For me, orange is the devil. It looks terrible on me!

Comments

Beauty,Open the Happy

5 Minute Makeup

1. i like how unlike other videos, the title is 5 minute makeup and the video actually is 5 minutes long.

2. i had problems figuring out too until i used the tip of seeing which jewellery looks better on you and makes your skin glow – (even if you don’t like or normally wear that kind of jewellery) – gold (yellow undertones) or silver (pink undertones). i’ve got warm/yellow undertones which means warmer colours look better on me – which sucks because i find warm colours boring and love cold and bright colours :D damn you, nature!!

3. I get ready quickly by just not putting on makeup!

….sorry, couldn’t resist. It’s generally true, though. If I do wear makeup, it’s usually only eyeliner and nothing else. The only time I ever go all-out with makeup is when I cosplay. :P

4. bb cream and mascara are my absolute minimum make up look. i also tightline my upper lashline which is really quick to do and makes your eyes look way better than just mascara. i’d also say that another great tip for completely transforming your face with one product is blush – especially if you are deathly pale like me (lol) and that person is calling you at 11:40am on a saturday where you also happen to have a hangover … *ahem*.. blush really wakes up your face.

5. Cool video Martina, thanks for the tips. It was cool to see the makeup room too.

When I’m SUPER in a hurry, I might use a BB cream (but my skin is too sensitive so I usually use a photoready blender (?), also helps with the eyelids, then foundation on top) and illuminating powder all over. I will then use a brown gel eyeliner with a small flat brush on my brows (then a q-tip to smooth) and just between my eyelashes with a tiny wing on the corners and coloured chapstick (I think Avon makes them? my Mother-in-Law gave me a bounty of them for x-mas, they rock!) because all of these don’t require a ton of co-ordination and you can just slap stuff on and if you’re a little inaccurate, you can smooth the badness away with your fingers and don’t have to get remover out of the cabinet. I find that nice eyebrows (not necessarily 100% smooth – however you want to define them) really make one look polished, even when you only spent 2 minutes on your makeup.

6. Five-minute eye makeup is my daily routine! Not that I don’t like going to town with makeup on the rest of my face but I’ve accepted I have a skin condition and just putting makeup on is just feeding the problem, so I go o’ natural always. Anywho, my life saving quick tip is dry shampoo. I’m seriously always running late for work and some days don’t have time to wash & dry my hair. The dry shampoo revives greasy hair and adds some volume to make it look full and alive. I love it for my bangs especially since I fight with them all day long and they get greasy quickly.

7. For me I can’t walk out of my dorm without at least my foundation of concealer, bb cream and mineral powder (22 years old and still fighting an uphill battle against acne T^T). On the days I oversleep its that and a quick eyelash curl then mascara to make myself look awake.

8. sorry I am not a morning person to make the effort to put on makeup in the morning lol iitsss harrd!!!

9. I love the way you do these make-up tutorials, it’s so funny! By the way, I have dark blonde hair, so purple or pink eyeshadows don’t look very good on me…

10. I think that mascara and lipstick is also a good, fast, classy look. When I wear lipstick, I try not to do too much with my eyes anyways because it can make my makeup a little overwhelming. ^^

• Exactly! Perfect if you want a classy look but can’t bother with complicated eye make-up.

11. Heh, I had a hat day once, my roommate had gotten bored and didn’t want to study one night so he spent an hour and a half putting my hair into super thing braids when it was still wet.
    I looked like a poodle with a perm from the 80s and couldn’t get my hair to go back to normal until that evening when I took a shower, ugh.

• Haha I did that when I was 9 and everybody at school made fun of me! Never again!

12. Woah! I didn’t know they did custom palettes! Probably because I had blinders up when I was buying mine. All I could think was, “I must have the exact same palette Martina uses so that I can do my makeup in the same awesome way that she does.” That is brilliant! I will totally do that once my palette gets as worn down as yours! SO EXCITED!!! :D

13. Thanks for the video. I normally wake up super late so i only ever put on eyeliner and bb cream and mad dash out the door.Now i can finally look actually o.k.
    p.s. i love your make up tutorials

14. Kohl eyeliner is one answer you were looking for. It is called either a pencil or a crayon depending on the thickness of the physical thing. What you had is a pencil. I should know, I’m terrible with liquid for some reason.

I have a highlighter/concealer liquid duo (in a double-ended thingy) that I use when I’m in a hurry and looking super sleepy (translation: most every day) Highlighter just under my lower lashes, concealer just under that in a triangle to my cheekbones, blend for jesus in to the bb cream…bam! Less sleepy AND younger looking….not that I look old…or that anyone else does…
    Oh and I use a colored eyeliner instead of eyeshadow! Just in the middle of my eyelid with black on either side and as my tightliner. *nods* Good stuff colored eyeliner…

15. If I’m really in a rush then i just put on a tiny bit of foundation on the blotchy parts of my skin then blend it in. Then if I think my eyes look suuuper tired and it looks like I’m becoming a zombie then I’ll put on eyeliner. Sometimes my eyes look nice and big on their own so I leave them alone. :) I like the shiny white eyeliner that you put on the bottom though. I’ve never tried it and i usually leave it naked and then just do the wings on my eyelids. The one thing that i do sometimes though is that I connect the wing a tiny bit of my waterline so that the edge of my eye looks darker and then get drastically lighter by the time you halfway into your eye.

16. put on make-up? somehow when i try it translates to “draw on face” >.> which is why i generally don’t wear it…. unless no one can see

17. My 5 minute make up is practically the same as this. Foundation, powder, light eyeshadow and mascara. Though it never takes me 5 minutes to put all that on xD if I’m really stuck for time I’ll just foundation ma face and be all like “I woke up lyk diz”

18. Kat

Totally choked on my frosted mini wheats when suju suddenly came on. Thank you for the tips, Martina!! I’ve always wondered how you made your eyes look so pretty!

19. I totally feel your pain! The only reason I can put on makeup at all is because I dance, and I’ve never put on eyeliner. I always manage to poke myself in the eye (very limited hand eye coordination, obviously).

20. In response to the comment below, I also use Urban Decay’s eyeshadow primer potion! BUUUTTTTT Etude House had a sale and I bought their primer for $3.00 and it works the same. That’s total nonsense cheap!