A Drinking Guide to Psy’s “Hangover”

June 10, 2014

Comments

We’re talking about Psy’s “Hangover” which just came out today for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. Yes, we’re talking about it instead of other Kpop videos, because – don’t deny it – Psy’s a lot more important than most Kpop artists. Stop denying it! And, hey, we like Psy’s video a lot more than everyone else’s video. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out here:

So, this video here isn’t in our typical Kpop Music Monday review style. We thought it’d be a good opportunity to explain a lot of the scenes for those of you who aren’t really familiar with Korea’s drinking culture. While Gangnam Style was pretty far out there, Hangover is – for us – more of a documentary than a pop video. Well, except for the flaming destruction at the end, of course.

What we didn’t really talk about, though, is our thoughts on the song. Err, well, let’s just say it’s our least favourite of Psy’s songs. It’s still really fun, but not as high energy as what we’re used to from Psy. And, really, it seems more like Snoop Lion featuring Psy, rather than Psy featuring Snoop Lion. Snoop coulda done this song with someone else and it woulda been ok. Psy couldn’t have done this song without Snoop, though.

But that’s just our thoughts on the song. We freaking LOVE the video, though. Oh man! This is what we’re looking for! We were so disappointed with CL’s bizarre “The Baddest Female” which is nothing like Korea whatsoever. Psy’s video, though, is very much Korea. These are scenes from our lives, people! This is a FAPFAP for alcohol, just with a bigger budget and better soundtrack and cooler people. But the idea is the same! Psy’s video shows what makes Korea cool. CL’s video shows what makes CL seem cool, though we can smell through it. It’s almost like Psy makes videos for, you know, Korean people, while so much other Kpop tries so hard to emulate Western Culture, Batoost’s Beautiful Night and Troublemaker’s Now being the prime examples. Psy, we like your videos.

One major thing we forgot to mention in this video is how it depicts 1cha 2cha 3cha, which I don’t think we talked about in any of our videos before. Basically, it’s Korea’s version of barhopping. You go to one place, eat some food and drink, then go to another place and eat food and drink, then another place and do the same, then noraebang, then something else, until you pass out or give up. You see that a bit with Snoop and Psy, when they go for Chinese food, then to the noraebang, then to the amusement park, then for some more food, and then it’s sunrise. Interesting info on this video: we just watched the interview of Psy and Snoop on Kimmel, and Snoop said how they shot nonstop for 18 hours. Kinda fits the vibe of the 1cha 2cha 3cha, but it’s mostly just because that’s how music video shoots in Korea usually are. Drink till you pass out, work till you pass out.

Also interesting to note: G-Dragon’s singing in the Noraebang wasn’t weird for weirdness’ sake. He’s emulating the trot lounge singer style. Kinda like a jazz singer, almost. There are lounge bars in Korea where people sing like this, and throw the mic around like that as well. It’s not common to see for people in our demographic, but it’s out there. We’ve seen it, fleetingly :D

And, I gotta say, this is probably the best crossover collaboration I’ve seen in Kpop. G-Dragon’s song with Missy woulda been better if Missy was back in her prime. Instead, it kinda felt out of place and just a paid for verse, like JYJ’s Ayy Gurl with Kanye. Both seemed forced. Psy doing a song with Snoop about substance abuse: now that’s something that makes sense. Though, I will admit, Snoop rapping about being in Korea…did seem a bit awkward to me.

Anyhow, those are our thoughts on the video. The song’s growing on us but it’s still not fully hooked in. I’ll give it a week once every freaking store in our neighbourhood plays it all day everyday. OH WAIT! We’re going to LA on Wednesday! We should be safe! Well, we’ll see.

We’ve got some bloopers from today’s video as well, if you’re interested in seeing us fumble at pool, check it out. Hot damn that game is difficult!

And, lastly, if you like this video, here’s an awkward product placement telling you to click on the bottom button right here for more! Aww yiss!

Comments

A Drinking Guide to Psy’s “Hangover”

1. I really really don’t like the song at all. There isn’t really much special about it to me, it’s very run-of-the-mill and it doesn’t really have a strong K-Pop feel to it. The video was okay… but despite all of those really Korean subtleties that you guise explained (very well, by the way!) I feel like those things were subtle enough for the video to come across as just a crazy, slightly chubby ad very drunk Korean man who dances around, simply in order to please the American audience. Overall, I was pretty disappointed and it’s not my cup of tea. At all.

2. I feel like I’m the only one who loved this video and song right off the bat. :C Which makes me sad that more people don’t like it. Why compare it to his other songs at all? It’s its own thing, just enjoy it as it is (did that make any sense???). I showed it to my mom and brother, all of them loved it as well. Am I missing something??? :/
    And I don’t care that y’all did this song for KMM this week. You guise always do Psy’s songs when they come out. I stopped voting on the charts like last year (cuz the songs I usually want reviewed never get reviewed anyway, so I was just wasting time *Kanye Shrug*)so that isn’t an issue for me. Post what y’all want. As long as you guise aren’t insulting anyone or hurting anyone, I’m cool with it. :)

• For me, regardless of comparing, I just don’t really like this type of song. I like more…. pop-y (?) music :’) I don’t think it’s a bad song, it’s just not my cup of soju ;)

• I totally agree with your comment. Well said.

• Let’s be friends, lol. I LOVED THIS SONG. I was walking around my friends and sang it all day. They were so annoyed, haha.

3. This is my least favourite song of PSY and even though I appreciated PSY’s video (as I always, without fail, do) I couldn’t even finish it. (Got like 4/5 into it before I gave up.) I did however, really love this KMM. Thank you guys for the lovely video.

4. Its more of a collaboration than a Psy Video and I believe that is what we were told it would be. Thank you VERY MUCH for posting the guide. It was the best of both worlds: entertaining AND helpful.

5. well done! You guys got that video up so fast, its crazy. thanks for being so detailed, I like that you pointed out the ads….aaanndd not my favorite of Psy’s MVs although I wonder if the song would grow on me if I watched it more than once- maybe all his music is like that.

6. I wish y’all would include the previous/next post buttons again! I like those & use them to catch up :-(

7. I’ve had the drop shots before. We call them jagarbombs. I think it’s a shot of jagarmeister in a glass of red bull? I’m not sure the mix but I do know it’s jagarmeister. Boy they get you drunk fast. Also we call barhopping a pub crawl, because at the end of the night you will most likely be crawling around xD PS I don’t like this song but I probably will dance to it if I’ve had a couple jagarbombs on a pub crawl. Then it’s hangover hangover hangover hangover hangover time. -_-“

8. Thanks for explaining what was going on, it made me appreciate the video a lot more than I originally did. I don’t like the song at the moment but maybe if I hear it a few more times. At the end of the video it says another is coming this summer and so I’m hoping it will be a little more upbeat and fun sounding. I really loved Gentlemen. I could have sworn there was something else I wanted to say… dag nabbit! Have fun in LA. =)

9. I didn´t like the song at all, but enjoyed the video because of all the korean stuff going on.

10. It isn’t my favorite Psy song or mv but I think it is amusing enough. I think the reason I loved Gangnam Style is because it came out of nowhere for most people and it was like ‘Whoa are they playing Psy on the radio in America?!’ I appreciate how much time you took on this KMM it made me smile after a terrible day at work <3 You guys are so awesome!

11. Does Psy even sing in this video? Its so hard to tell with all of the voice filters…
    WHERE IS MY VIXX?!?!?! ∏.∏
    /creys/

12. I actually really love this song. The lyrics, beat, and video, I like everything about it. It was also a big plus that GD and CL was in it too.

• I personally love it too! I think it’s just super silly and it’s meant to be that way.

13. The song definitely grew on me the first time I listened to it and the MV made it even better for me. The part at the end I thought was great because I feel like Hangover as a whole is a way of Psy making fun of drinking culture in a music world where people praise the drinking culture. Nobody likes a Hangover and he’s playing on that and the part of the end really exemplifies that. I feel like a lot of people think Psy is just this silly guy who makes over the top music videos but each of his singles has played upon making fun of something. Also this song makes me really want to skip in an amusement park with Psy and Snoop XD

14. I’m the type of person who carries my iPod everywhere I go. Like, I need a constant soundtrack while I’m running errands. And I’ll have a whole mix of things on there. On my iPad, I’ve got songs I can play at parties. Sometimes I’ll have the same songs on both devices, Jay Park’s Hot, for example. Hangover seems like it would strictly be a Party Song.

15. I quite agree that Psy’s videos tend to be about what life in Korea is really like. I like that. But to me, the song is horrendous. I can forgive a bad video if the song is good, but the opposite doesn’t work for me. The video should be a visual support to the song, and here it feels like a great video with bad soundtrack. I do love the shot glass domino though!

16. This isn’t my favorite song from Psy, that’s all I’m going to say. But for the video, I had fun watching it! GD’s cameo caught me off guard, so it made me scream LOL. Now, I’m waiting to see if his new song coming out this summer called ‘Daddy’ will be better. :)

17. You must have enjoyed filming this video A LOT. All those drinking, and dancing, and singing. Hahaha. HOT GAY STUFF THOUGH. Oh and by the way, when did Psy sing? Hahaha. It’s unrecognizable.

18. Awful song. Couldn’t find a single moment or lyric that hooked me.
    Video was a little better, but still not as good as most of his other vids.
    But I DO appreciate EYK’s n00b guide to Korean drinking :D Although a lot of your watchers would already know half of this stuff, it’s good to see that new watchers won’t have a million assumed things or *cough* inside jokes *cough* (took me a while to catch up with them when I didn’t watch you all for a while).

19. Nice music Monday guise! I agree with DAENVGIELL6. You could have easily spend time breaking down the video and its level of English accuracy >.> But instead you taught us a little more about Korea and apparently… let Phy’s new song/video… which really isnt that good… have a free pass? Or perhaps you will come back and tell us what you really think of this later?

20. You guys did a great job on this music monday! Instead of bashing on how terrible this song is (which it really is) and then praising the video (which is seriously too awesome) you creatively took a different approach! Props to you guise :D Thanks again for useful Korean drinking tips and keep up your creative flow (how do you guys manage to keep on coming up with new fun things?)

21. Srf

Gotta say I agree with you on Psy’s song, it wasn’t as good as Gangnam Style or Gentleman – the constant ‘hangover’ line in the background wears out pretty fast. But I have to say, I enjoyed this KMM a lot. It was really informative, especially about the video, which I didn’t pay that much attention too. Your KMM made me analyse it a bit more to recognise how Korean it was.

This made me think about other Kpop videos that aren’t as Korean, and can be a bit boring because they lack culture and depth. Sure, anyone can walk around in designer clothes, or wear next to nothing as a ‘concept’, but these don’t really stand out anymore. Lots of people wouldn’t have paid attention to GS if it didn’t have the funky horse dance or the larger than life personality that is Psy. I feel like a lot of Kpop music videos lose this originality when they try to forget their roots, if you will.

Thanks for this KMM, I hope you do more like these in future.

• Yeah! We were really inspired in this one, and I really hope we can watch some other videos that inspire us as well. There’s only so much you can say about sexy dances and lip rubs in weirdly lit box sets…

22. the MV is so entertaining …. I try to hear and understand the lyrics but cant concentrate watching the video.. haha… the scenes are so funny..i specially like the ladies.. LOL but is a song I would NOT listen as is not my kind of music… I prefer Gangnam style than hangover.. but the MV is good…. I like psy.

23. When I was in Japan I made at lot of Korean friends at my International Language School and we would always go out drinking together – especially since they can actually keep up with drinking and not be down after a beer like most Japanese people, lol. But they taught me a lot, so despite not having gone to Korea I was able to relate a lot to the video. I remember one time holding my friend’s hair back while she was throwing up and the other girl came in and told me I was doing it wrong and starting slamming her hand against the other’s back. It was such a shock at first but I eventually got used to it, lol.

24. Not cool. DramaFever looks like it riffed off your review.

25. I felt like the amusement park scene was a reference to K.Will’s Love Blossom.

26. Wow! What an amazing KMM! So many interesting locations and new things we haven’t seen you done yet, I really love it! :D

I didn’t particularly like the song. I barely could hear PSY in there and I’m not very fond of Snoop’s voice, so, yeahhh.

And Martina – you look absolutely lovely in this video.

27. Dayum! This is really funny. When I saw the MV I thought: Whoa, all my friends in Norway should see this video, since it really shows so so much Korean drinking culture. And then BOOM! Eyk crew explains the whole thing, in a funny and genius way. So now I will share your video, along with Psys video! EYK, I really do love you. Not in a creepy way. Ok, a tiny bit creepy.

I think I will like the song more and more, but I did miss the whole escalating feeling. It was a bit too careful for me. But I LOVED the video – it’s kinda artistic, right? Awesome video people. Now I need to test out that gay juice. Wait, what?

28. So, i think i can finally write my comment, after having given the song a few good rounds of listening, and watched the MV several times.
    The song is -really- growing on me. I didn’t like it at all in the beginning, but it was the MV that kept me rewatching “Hangover” and now the song is really starting to grow on me too.

This is a pretty awesome MV, and it has that shareability to it, almost like gangnam style. I think people are very quick to write this song off as ‘bad’ and thus just ignore the MV entirely.
    Really, it’s worth a few listens. I eventually began to take notice of how well the song actually went with the MV, how the chorus kicks in when sh*t is about to hit the fan, or something amusing happens.

I also noticed, which, i’m surprised Simon and Martina didn’t mention, is that at one part of the song, Snoop added ‘uh’ at the end of the lyric, in order to make the text rhyme, whiich, they butchered the rookie group EYKCrew for with their version of Gentleman. ;)

I overall enjoy the MV and now i’m really enjoying the song aswell.

My favourite part so far is when the spoon whacks that dude in the back of the head, and all hell breaks loose. More specifically the karate fly kick in the background i find quite amusing.

29. meh song.

30. Oh shots in beer. Reminding of my youth because we would go across into Mexico and drink because you only had to be 18…but we were younger… uhm anyways our favorite was Flaming Dr. Peppers. A cup of beer and shot glass with amaretto and 151 proof rum. Take the shot, light it on fire, drop it in the glass of beer and jug baby jug. We got drunk pretty darn fast.

Your video/review was great. It was informative, shed some light on the happenings of the video. As for the MV/song. Uh I’m just not a fan of either at all. My friend who’s from Korea isn’t a fan either. Choosing I like the MV over the song and actually I like both over CL’s Baddest Female (that’s odd). The overly dominate presence of Snoop Dogg has given me the desire to listen to my old Snoop Dogg/Dr. Dre albums.

31. How did I know the k pop charts were going to be ignored for psy again. Am I they only one that cannot stand his songs? As a person he seems like an ok guy. Very nice and friendly but his music soooo not my thing. I was soo disappointed this morning. Set up of the music Monday was interesting but defiantly not my favorite kmm sorry.

32. I’m actually pretty sad that this song was chosen for music Monday. I was hoping for Taeyang or VIXX perhaps. Psy has never really been my favorite and this song didn’t help. I do like Psy but this song honestly seemed like a Snoop Dog song featuring Psy instead of the other way around. Kinda disappointed :/

• ….its actually growing on me….damn lol

• Haha, I had the same reaction to the song. Hated it my first listen, then watched it again was like dammit I sort of like it now…

33. I actually like the video ^^ but I don’t like the song itself…
    I’ve to say that I didn’t like Gangnam style at the beginning (I didn’t really knew Psy back then) but after some Interviews and Shows I really started to like Psy. I think he has a great Humor and by now I’m a big fan of him as a person/ artist. I think his songs are quite catchy but I don’t consider them as (how do I say this…) really high quality songs. Don’t get me wrong… I think they’re good songs, I know every song needs much work and I think every artist is free to do what he likes but they sometimes seem a little bit effortless to me :/ I like the different between Psys songs and MVs and it’s funny to watch the videos and Interviews :))
    Nice KMM :) I really liked that kind of format… Thank you for another great Video and Blog-post ^.^

34. I didn´t like the song :( Gangnam Style was absolutely great, Gentleman was hilarious, but this… the MV is just ok (beer´s brand advertising everywhere); also, I know PSY songs are not the meaningful ones, but they are chatchy and funny: the only thing I can hear here is “hangoverhangoverhangover…”. Is it autotune? (I´m unaware about music stuff), because I think it´s too much.
    However, I acknowledge the drinking guide was interesting.

I was expecting you to review “Quit Playing” :,(

• Same! I freaking hate this song as much as I am disappointed by the MV for Quit Playing, but I’d still rather have seen U-Kiss get reviewed. I found this MV amusing at best.

35. Well, since I live in ktown L.A., I’ve done a bit of the 1cha 2cha 3cha stuff. I’ve never gone to the pool halls. They weird me out here, but I’ve pretty much done everything else in this MV. Even sneak in alcohol into a noraebang.

As a someone not in Korea, but in a neighborhood with a lot of Korean establishments, a lot of the MV was like… OMG, I’ve seen that. OH WAIT, I’ve done that. From food to hangover drinks to the swishy swing of the soju bottles… yeah.

I think I need a juice cleanse after watching it.

BTW, my bestie and I agree Chum Churum is better. WOOOO! It’s funny because I used to drink it as the Lee Hyori soju and had no idea what it was and when that bottle was phased out, I went with Chamisul. I should have learned the name back then. Chamisul is for desperation use only. haha!

36. I’m pretty sure that almost everyplace has some version of dropping shots into bear or another version of some alcohol. Many of bar-hopping trips have had at least 1 JagerBomb (with beer not an energy drink) and I don’t even like beer…

I actually like Hangover best out of Gangnam style, Gentleman, and Hangover. But the video seemed.. a little low key I guess.

Anyways, I liked this KMM. It was an interesting format. I enjoyed it and wouldn’t mind if you do similar types of formats (and less skits cause I’m sure we all know that I’m not big on KMMs that have tons of skits).

37. I personally didn’t like this song, but I loved the video.

To me, the song didn’t have that Psy feeling. Psy was in it, but not IN it.

I just gotta bear it when the song is going to be played at the next Pep Rally when the school year starts…

Or someone plays it during summer school.

Also, New Single “Daddy” Coming [out] this summer/

I took that the “right” way.

38. I was also disappointed you didn’t do UKISS.

I’m pretty sure Eli didn’t a NASTY shout out.

39. So many people are saying such ignorant things back on youtube. Which is ironic since their’s so many views on youtube already. At first this video didn’t make sense to me and now I know why. Its because I don’t live in Korea and don’t understand its drinking culture. I feel like after people watch Psy’s hangover the video should automatically switch over to you guys so dumb people will become a little less dumb. Who’s with me!?

• I haven’t read the comments on YT since the video was at 301+. I think my eyes would bleed if I did.

40. omg, i don’t know did i like it but i think its crazy ;D totally mad