A Drinking Guide to Psy’s “Hangover”

June 10, 2014

Comments

We’re talking about Psy’s “Hangover” which just came out today for this week’s Kpop Music Monday. Yes, we’re talking about it instead of other Kpop videos, because – don’t deny it – Psy’s a lot more important than most Kpop artists. Stop denying it! And, hey, we like Psy’s video a lot more than everyone else’s video. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out here:

So, this video here isn’t in our typical Kpop Music Monday review style. We thought it’d be a good opportunity to explain a lot of the scenes for those of you who aren’t really familiar with Korea’s drinking culture. While Gangnam Style was pretty far out there, Hangover is – for us – more of a documentary than a pop video. Well, except for the flaming destruction at the end, of course.

What we didn’t really talk about, though, is our thoughts on the song. Err, well, let’s just say it’s our least favourite of Psy’s songs. It’s still really fun, but not as high energy as what we’re used to from Psy. And, really, it seems more like Snoop Lion featuring Psy, rather than Psy featuring Snoop Lion. Snoop coulda done this song with someone else and it woulda been ok. Psy couldn’t have done this song without Snoop, though.

But that’s just our thoughts on the song. We freaking LOVE the video, though. Oh man! This is what we’re looking for! We were so disappointed with CL’s bizarre “The Baddest Female” which is nothing like Korea whatsoever. Psy’s video, though, is very much Korea. These are scenes from our lives, people! This is a FAPFAP for alcohol, just with a bigger budget and better soundtrack and cooler people. But the idea is the same! Psy’s video shows what makes Korea cool. CL’s video shows what makes CL seem cool, though we can smell through it. It’s almost like Psy makes videos for, you know, Korean people, while so much other Kpop tries so hard to emulate Western Culture, Batoost’s Beautiful Night and Troublemaker’s Now being the prime examples. Psy, we like your videos.

One major thing we forgot to mention in this video is how it depicts 1cha 2cha 3cha, which I don’t think we talked about in any of our videos before. Basically, it’s Korea’s version of barhopping. You go to one place, eat some food and drink, then go to another place and eat food and drink, then another place and do the same, then noraebang, then something else, until you pass out or give up. You see that a bit with Snoop and Psy, when they go for Chinese food, then to the noraebang, then to the amusement park, then for some more food, and then it’s sunrise. Interesting info on this video: we just watched the interview of Psy and Snoop on Kimmel, and Snoop said how they shot nonstop for 18 hours. Kinda fits the vibe of the 1cha 2cha 3cha, but it’s mostly just because that’s how music video shoots in Korea usually are. Drink till you pass out, work till you pass out.

Also interesting to note: G-Dragon’s singing in the Noraebang wasn’t weird for weirdness’ sake. He’s emulating the trot lounge singer style. Kinda like a jazz singer, almost. There are lounge bars in Korea where people sing like this, and throw the mic around like that as well. It’s not common to see for people in our demographic, but it’s out there. We’ve seen it, fleetingly :D

And, I gotta say, this is probably the best crossover collaboration I’ve seen in Kpop. G-Dragon’s song with Missy woulda been better if Missy was back in her prime. Instead, it kinda felt out of place and just a paid for verse, like JYJ’s Ayy Gurl with Kanye. Both seemed forced. Psy doing a song with Snoop about substance abuse: now that’s something that makes sense. Though, I will admit, Snoop rapping about being in Korea…did seem a bit awkward to me.

Anyhow, those are our thoughts on the video. The song’s growing on us but it’s still not fully hooked in. I’ll give it a week once every freaking store in our neighbourhood plays it all day everyday. OH WAIT! We’re going to LA on Wednesday! We should be safe! Well, we’ll see.

We’ve got some bloopers from today’s video as well, if you’re interested in seeing us fumble at pool, check it out. Hot damn that game is difficult!

And, lastly, if you like this video, here’s an awkward product placement telling you to click on the bottom button right here for more! Aww yiss!

Comments

A Drinking Guide to Psy’s “Hangover”

1. meh song.

2. When I was in Japan I made at lot of Korean friends at my International Language School and we would always go out drinking together – especially since they can actually keep up with drinking and not be down after a beer like most Japanese people, lol. But they taught me a lot, so despite not having gone to Korea I was able to relate a lot to the video. I remember one time holding my friend’s hair back while she was throwing up and the other girl came in and told me I was doing it wrong and starting slamming her hand against the other’s back. It was such a shock at first but I eventually got used to it, lol.

3. the MV is so entertaining …. I try to hear and understand the lyrics but cant concentrate watching the video.. haha… the scenes are so funny..i specially like the ladies.. LOL but is a song I would NOT listen as is not my kind of music… I prefer Gangnam style than hangover.. but the MV is good…. I like psy.

4. Not cool. DramaFever looks like it riffed off your review.

5. I felt like the amusement park scene was a reference to K.Will’s Love Blossom.

6. Am I the only one who reacted to the fact that Psy is using Simon’s signature hip-thrust dance move? This is the perfect video for Simon to have a cameo. :D

7. I thought Psy’s video was entertaining, but the song itself just didn’t do it for me. Coming from N America there are literally 10000000000 (maybe not literally) songs about getting drunk and drinking. Although Hangover was catchy, some of those other songs are better. As far as Psy goes I like his other stuff much more. I guess this video feels more like a Snoop Dog (is that even his name) video featuring Psy as opposed to the other way around. I did however, enjoy your KMM haha

8. I wonder how many takes that domino shots shot took? A common American equivalent is a boilermaker- whiskey in beer, or an Irish Car Bomb- whiskey floated on a shot of Bailey’s dropped into stout.
    This song seems to have a higher proportion of rap to song, and a lot of English. It doesn’t have the earworm little melody that Gentleman or Gangnam Style had.
    But the video was hilarious. Especially the final shot in the street. WHY WAS THAT MAN ON FIRE?

9. I like sake bombs lol they are like that soju-beer thing that you took your shot of, a really good shot of Sake and some Sapporro MMMMM gets you ka-runk

10. Thank you, I didn’t know most of the things you explained in the video. As for the song, I don’t like it either. Maybe I need to listen to it more to get the feeling for it but at the first time, I didn’t like it at all. And I agree with you: it’s more like Snoop feat. Psy than the other way round. As for the video, it is really funny indeed. Anyways, I appreciate your video a lot, I got to know more about Korea’s drinking culture. :)

11. Well…I knew this drinking style (I have seen a LOT of dramas) and I think he did something different again. The song is still growing on me, but I can see myself singing it in few days non-stop..And I think there will be always this “oppa Gangnam style shadow crawling after everything psy does”. If you haven’t seen Gangnam style and watched this you would be like “WOW SO COOL AND CRAZY” but after it everybody will be always like….it’s not that good as GS.
    I like it. a lot.

12. wow that ws soo very educational its ws chok full of facts & really interesting things which i ws thinkin ws kinda weird wen i 1st sw da video… the songchorus is really chatchy bt it didnt lik the song off the bat lik psy previous songs bt stil ws fun silly & quirky da same way we all knw psy so therez no radical change there!! GD & CL were silly too that ws really fun 2 watch!! :))

13. That video was absolutely amazing; I loved it. You are so right about it; it’s like a FAPFAP about alcohol in Korea.
    I’ve done the 1cha 2cha 3cha thing before. It’s kind of fun, but can get expensive and you’re literally out all night until the subway is running again which can be intense.

I love the combo of Snoop and Psy’s voices, but you are right… Snoop could have done this WITHOUT Psy, but not the other way around.
    I don’t feel like this will really go viral the way “Gangnam Style” did. Because. … It lacks the dance. Gangnam style was silly and ridiculous and awesome and amazing and catchy and had a great (silly_) dance! That’s what really made it. Gentlemen didn’t have as much of a dance, and the video wasn’t as funny… for me.
    But the video was great lol.

14. No need to talk about oberyn martell’s death,martina….:(

15. whilst I found the video interesting.. the song wasn’t too bad but I was definitely getting the vibe of “snoop dog/lion ft Psy” then “Psy ft. snoop dog/lion”.. i was actually hoping for some more Psy. Left me a bit “hmmmm”

16. I didn’t really like the song, but the video was pretty entertaining. Psy’s already got the money rollin, he’s already in the history books. I think all he wants to do now is make crazy videos while having fun.

17. Great video guys! It really shows on camera when you’re talking about something you’re passionate about ^^
    Now I gotta say something about the negative reactions that seem to come shooting at you two from all sides…

On one hand, I really don’t understand why fans gets so butthurt when their favourite group isn’t chosen KMM. It’s not like you get a exclusive interview with the group or get to see never-before-seen footages from behind-the-scenes. All Simon and Martina do is offer their (hilarious) comments on the video and song, coupled with skits and other stuff.

On the other hand, I am really fascinated by those fans, because they seem to treat KMM as some form of Eat Your Kimchi award for Best K-Pop Video of the Week, LOL. From the way the fans express their anger, you would think they were voting for Artist of the Year at the MAMAs.

Anyhoo, I’m glad S&M are staying true to what they like to do instead of trying to please the whole world. Stay awesome you two!

18. It was catchy, but like someone else before me said, it’s not really psy. It doesn’t have the same quirkiness psy’s usual songs have. Gangnam style was so popular because it was exactly what psy was about. It was all him and his thang, but this song is just kind of SNOOPY SNOOP SNOOP IN KOREA ft. psy…. But like I said, the song is catchy :P

19. i love hangover more than gentleman..

20. It bugs me out something fierce when people judge PSY based on one song with no prior research. I was talking to a friend about it and our opinion was something along the lines of ‘Like PSY gives a damn about the opinions of these (predominantly white) people. That guy is all about Korea and he is set for LIFE’.
    I love PSY however this song isn’t his style. It has a good flow and is defs quirky, but it isn’t PSY quirky. I don’t know whether it’s him or YG but they (however they are) are really trying to hold onto/replicate the fame Gangnam Style received, for obvious reasons. Someone below me said they wished YG would use their new international fame to promote their ‘better’ artists like CL or GD but frankly, I think PSY is better than them. Not saying I don’t like them but PSY has been in the business for over a decade with obvious (Korean-based) fame and his music relays important messages by criticizing them in the weirdest way possible.

I don’t know what I’m trying to get across here other than my passion for PSY and his work. I guess tl;dr PSY is a lot more talented than most people think and he shouldn’t be reduced down to that funny fat Asian guy with the weird dance.

21. Loved this video. The dropping shots into beer thing is common in the UK as well, though usually it’ll be Jaegermeister into either lager or red bull/energy drink of the pub’s choice.

22. Ash

I love that you did this kmm in this format, you took advantage of a great opportunity to teach us more about Korean cultIre! I’m actually in south Korea right now! Just the incheon airport for a few more hours, but I’m still psyched about it! I’m headed for China though so I can’t watch any of your videos for three months. That makes me sad cause every time I get scared and think “why did I leave my family? This is scary!” I just think about the entire eyk crew and the nasties and I know that even though we all haven’t met each other, we all have each others backs (: you’re all amazing people~ (^•^)

23. Jeez what’s with all the people freaking out about not getting a video from the chart reviewed? The world’s not going to end. No reason to be negative towards Simon and Martina. They don’t need to explain their choices. They can review any video they want-I don’t care which one because whatever it is, I know it will be fun to watch. Might as well dismantle the chart? Relax people. No need for that. Besides a guide for S&M, it’s a useful tool to gauge what’s popular and it lets me see what videos are out that I might have missed. All this nonsense just made me feel very protective of them because they’re the reason I discovered K-Pop. And it’s a wonderful and important thing in my life, so I don’t like to see them attacked. Keep doin’ what your doin’ Simon and Martina-it’s greatly appreciated.

24. What a wonderful Music Monday to test out my new nasty! status. <3

25. All I can say is that, Psy’s new song Hangover was interesting. It was definitely better with the explanations.
    Aside from G-Dragon in the music video, I think CL was also in it. I believe she was wearing the fur coat at the four minute mark. In fact there is this picture. http://instagram.com/p/pAR_K9LL0l/

26. Hi, I just want to share my point of view regarding those viewers who are disappointed because not one in the top three artists in this recent KMM chart got reviewed. Before that, I’d like to clarify that I’m not trying to pick a fight, so pretty please, don’t get me wrong  I think ALL fans who voted for their fave artists, not only those fans for the top three artsits, have the right to be disappointed. They certainly have given their effort to make their fave artist be in the top three. They voted, liked through their fb & google, tweeted about it, and did whatever they can. So it would come naturally to be disappointed upon knowing that all your efforts went down the drain, well, sort of (again, I’m not asking for a fight :)).Think of a high school project you have poured all your efforts into finishing, but on the day of the submission, your teacher changed her mind about it and asked for some other output. Sucks, right? I suggest that S&M should have announced, “Okay people, there’s going to be a break for the voting process for this week’s KMM chart in order to give way for a super duper special KMM feature.” That way, it’s a win-win situation. No disappointed fans, but only viewers who are holding tightly to their seats, waiting with excitement for the special feature :)

But two thumbs up for S&M for being spontaneous entertainers ;) good luck to you guys!

27. I personally don’t get all the hate towards this song I find it fun and something I would totally get hammered to. I don’t think it compares to gangnam style or gentleman but I still love it. but whatever that’s my food for thought. however the comments I been seeing that been bugging me are that’s GD’s and CL’s cameos are pointless.. really? Psy is always throwing in random cameos of other YG members in his videos and I never seen people react so negatively about it… I just don’t understand what the big deal is.. I mean I can see how it plays out… PSY: “OI, Snoop let’s take these noona out for some Karaoke” Snoop: “Aw yeah, let’s do this” *runs into G-Dragon on the way there* PSY: “GD what are you doing out here?” G-Dragon: “I found a cigarette outside a bar and… I forget what I do” Snoop: “that was mine and it wasn’t a ciggarette baby” PSY: “You really need to stop finding odd smelling cigarettes… but hey join us in Karaoke” *GD sings Karaoke but he keeps forgetting what he do*
    PSY: “Ok that was fun now let’s leave GD and the Nooans I feel like some Taekwondo”
    Snoop: “Why we leaving the ladies?”
    PSY: “Don’t worry I’m sure we’ll find them again at a carnival later”
    -get’s to the dojo and finds CL-
    PSY: ” CL what are you doing here…?”
    CL: “I like finding Dojos to work on clapping my hands
    Snoop: “In a fur coat and tims?”
    CL: “Got to keep my swag in check while I do it”
    Snoop: “Works for me”

See it makes perfect sense… when your drunk it makes perfect sense

28. I think it’s a fun colab. I like Psy as an artist so I watch it all. I just enjoy seeing them together having a great time. I saw the G-Dragon/Missy colab and enjoyed that too. It’s the unity I love. A generation of music I miss dearly that is being passed on (shared with) to a culture that represents it so well is an honor. Much success to them all and I’ll keep watching and enjoying. We’re fans of theirs as well.

29. I just wanted to say that I really loved the format of this video. It’s very tight, crisp, professional. Not to mention fun and informative. While I liked having you two able to talk and interact when you did that trial run change-up the KMM format a few months ago, I missed the sense of structure and the skits/play of the original format. This video, to me, seems like almost like an evolution of your style in its potential to bring those two things together. This probably took a ton of work, though, so I’m not sure it’s feasible to do something like this every week? I’m not really all that into K-Pop to be honest, but I always watch KMM because of the playfulness of the segments. Anyway, just my two cents! Great job! :)

30. I feel like I’m the only one who loved this video and song right off the bat. :C Which makes me sad that more people don’t like it. Why compare it to his other songs at all? It’s its own thing, just enjoy it as it is (did that make any sense???). I showed it to my mom and brother, all of them loved it as well. Am I missing something??? :/
    And I don’t care that y’all did this song for KMM this week. You guise always do Psy’s songs when they come out. I stopped voting on the charts like last year (cuz the songs I usually want reviewed never get reviewed anyway, so I was just wasting time *Kanye Shrug*)so that isn’t an issue for me. Post what y’all want. As long as you guise aren’t insulting anyone or hurting anyone, I’m cool with it. :)

• Let’s be friends, lol. I LOVED THIS SONG. I was walking around my friends and sang it all day. They were so annoyed, haha.

• For me, regardless of comparing, I just don’t really like this type of song. I like more…. pop-y (?) music :’) I don’t think it’s a bad song, it’s just not my cup of soju ;)

• I totally agree with your comment. Well said.

31. I really really don’t like the song at all. There isn’t really much special about it to me, it’s very run-of-the-mill and it doesn’t really have a strong K-Pop feel to it. The video was okay… but despite all of those really Korean subtleties that you guise explained (very well, by the way!) I feel like those things were subtle enough for the video to come across as just a crazy, slightly chubby ad very drunk Korean man who dances around, simply in order to please the American audience. Overall, I was pretty disappointed and it’s not my cup of tea. At all.

32. Too bad this won’t go viral because once Psy’s does all people are going to think is that the funny asian guy is back and is getting drunk with Snoop Dog/Lion/HellhecouldbearaccoonandIwouldn’tcare.
    I know drinking in Korea is usually about bonding and whatnot but the viral world is going to take one look at this and think that Korea is a place to party all the time and get drunk without consequences because obviously vomiting and hangovers aren’t consequences if the funny asian guy can do them.
    Idk. I’m just REALLY not looking forward to seeing this everywhere for the next few months.
    End mindless rant.

33. Can you guys do this kind of review more often? I mean maybe not so basic culture stuff, but more informative style :) its more like your other videos and tbh kmm are my least favorite of all your videos.. i loveeee the ones that discuss modern culture especially because i’m just a passive kpop listener (and i have yet to meet a single korean who actually likes kpop, out of the 100 some people i’ve met like 80% hate it) and i think discussing the aspects of korea that koreans actually partake in is more informatively beneficial particularly since the foreign audience, i’ve noticed, tends to get so wound up inside this tiny little kpop world without really taking into consideration the rest of korea, and i think you guys are a really good middle man for relaying that kind of information :)

34. Interesting fact: we actually saw a drug deal go down yesterday. For really reals. When we were filming our drug talk, we saw a guy drive up in his car, roll down the window (ayy girl) and whistle at another guy down the street. The guy down the street walked up to the guy in the car, shook hands quickly, and walked away into a building, while the car driver drove away.

We were all like “Soo Zee! That was a drug deal! Did you see that! That dude bought drugs!” and Soo Zee had no idea what went down. I feel like we initiated her into the underworld :D

• Well that’s not something you see everyday! XD (unless, you know, you deal drugs…)

• It’s actually the first time we ever saw that happen in Korea :D

• There is something oddly charming about this. Like you’re elderly, rural Minnesotans who are seeing something in the big city for the first time. “Wouldja lookit that! It’s a drug deal! You know what else is like a drug? My Nan’s rhubarb pie dontcha know.” *

*Unnecessary stereotyping of Minnesotans used for dramatic effect

• I love how you ended this comment with a :D

35. This is probably not the big single we’ve been waiting for. Daddy could be the one.

36. Hey guys! This is my first comment ever! :D I just felt like you were getting a lot of crap so I wanted to let you know that I’m just glad you make videos at all! I was doing homework (for Korean) and then I was like IT’S A MONDAY so I checked and there it was, a new video! They’re always hilarious and informative no matter what they’re about! Keep doing whatever nasty stuff you wanna do! x) <3

37. Thanks for all the cultural data…but really, I need to say it, I REALLY REALLY HATE THIS VIDEO!

Part of the “charm” of Kpop is that it is a global product, not created for the korean or asian market. This video in particular could be really “korean”, but it is REALLY going global due to PSY’s unfortunate projection, and I do not think that showing the trashy side of Korean Culture was the best. Korean Culture is very diverse and beautiful, and PSY has done nothing but show the funny/trashy/cliché side of it; in this particular video, there is not even a Korean singing about Korea, bur Snoop Dogg…PSY is nothing but a prop for the rapper!

I don’t like PSY, I can´t find his work “funny”, but rather offensive and reductive. I consider YG should use all the contacts gained thanks to “Gangnam Style” to promote their true and talented artists (like G-Dragon or Taeyang)

• Honestly, I disagree. I think it’s awesome to see all side of Korea. I know that myself and my friends are TIRED of seeing countries display all the GLORIOUS parts of their country while hiding their bad – I think PSY’s video not only shows what other countries would deem as a “downside” but he is also showing that by making a video and show it off he’s proud of it. You do not have Korea without their crazy drinking culture and this just showcases that. I would honestly have this than watching UKISS have a threesome.

• that’s the life… of course that MV is not peace of art, but just for fun is ok. U know all k-pop is so sweet and perfect, that sometimes need some spices.
      And about drinking, i heard statistic that heaviest drinkers lives in Russia and east Europe ;D so relax

• Hm. Fascinating! I don’t really think this side of Korea is that trashy or negative, you know? I don’t feel like alcohol in Korea has the same connotations as drinking alcohol elsewhere. Here it’s a very social bonding kinda thing, rather than a “let’s get messed up and belligerent and woooooaaa spring break mofos!”

• I my travels, and when talking to people I know who have traveled, the United States has one of the most overt overwhelming negative connotation associated with drinking (no hate I’m American). I’d guess Canada, seeing as it is physically close, may also have similar ideas. I think it has a lot to do with how each country was founded and the current drinking laws. For example, you have to be 21 yrs old to drink in the US, and society both sensationalizes and condones drinking. So many people when they hit 21 (or before as a was of rebellion) go WAY off the deep end. I live in a college town and the term 21er exists just to describe that birthday. During which you are meant to get drunk if you go out. I have literally seen people’s cars tagged with comments saying “if you don’t get blackout drunk you’re doing it wrong,” and “drink tell you puke on your birthday that’s what its there for.”

Personally, I’m not a fan of public drunkenness (or drunk people in general) but I do believe culture plays an enormous role in how people interpret these types of things. And every culture will have a different opinion on the matter.

38. Ya I’m not really a fan of this one, I’ll stick with “Right Now”. I think that will forever be my favorite Psy song.
    However, I did like the video. Even though I don’t drink it was interesting to learn about the differences!

• agreed, Right Now is awesome. By far my favorite Psy song (that I’ve heard, anyway).

39. That pool game looks really hard. Ha, leave it to us asians to play a game that involves angles and math and all that stuff :p

40. Also, hats off to choosing what ever the flip you want for KMM. Some people just need to calm their farms :)

• This. Hangover is definitely not my fav song currently on the charts but it is KMM gold! Keep making awesome videos that YOU love Simon and Martina <3