After School Club: What We Wanted to Say

January 7, 2015

Comments

Hi everyone!

Though we’re on hiatus for January, and Leigh and Soo Zee are off on vacation, that doesn’t really mean that we’ve taken much of a break lately. Ha! We just came back from filming an ultra fun episode of After School Club with Kevin, Eric, and Jimin. It was our first time on the show! We’ve spoken with Eric a few times about doing an episode together, and now that our schedules were kinda free, we thought it’d be a good time to come on. Woot! If you didn’t watch it yet, you can check it out here. Yay!

We are a bit saddened by one thing, though, and we wanted to share it here, because we didn’t get a chance to share it on the show. See, we were given a bit of a loose guideline about what questions were going to be asked beforehand. During the Hangout Session, people planned what questions they wanted to ask us, which is how we came up with our awesome name for our band. If Jimin, Simon, Martina, Kevin, and Eric all were in a band, what would we be called? Well, the answer is probably the best thing we ever did on TV. HA!

However, the next question that was supposed to be asked was skipped, and it’s kinda our fault. Danielle, who is co-founder of the European Nasties, popped up on the screen, and we got very excited, and started talking a lot more than we should have. We saw her in our European Tours, and we’re really honoured that she’s helping out with the European Nasties Facebook page, so we blathered on for a bit too long. And that’s unfortunate, because that means that we didn’t have time for the next person, Anna, to ask her question, which was a really important one that we wanted to discuss today. The question was something along the lines of “any advice for an aspiring Youtuber?” Here’s what we wanted to say:

One of the things we focus on most is how we can improve ourselves. We look back on our old videos and we’re embarrassed at how bad they are. The lighting is awful; the sound is echoey; the talking goes on for too long. We constantly look back on our older videos and try to see what we didn’t like about them, and do our best to try to make them better. So the main point we’d suggest is to never stop trying to make better content.

This, however, doesn’t just go for the technical side of it, but also for the things you say and do in your videos as well. When you’re on the internet, you can always see people’s responses to your blog posts. You can read it in their comments, or on Twitter, or on their own blogs, whatever. And when you read them, you can see what you can change in your content on top of that. This is something we make sure we try to do. We’ve read about how we’ve said things that are offensive in the past, and we do our best to not make the same mistakes again. The way we described Hyuna’s dancing in 2011 we would never say now. The ways in which we described concepts in Kpop videos we’ll never use again. Some of the skits or games we’ve done…yeah, not our brightest moments. We look back to what we did before, and we do our best to grow. We made lots of dumb mistakes in the past, said some things and did some videos that at the time seemed harmless enough, but now we wish we could change. It’s challenging, and embarrassing even, to look back on some of the stuff we’ve done, but once we’re made aware of them, we think about them deeply, discuss them with each other and with Leigh and Soo Zee thoroughly, and do our best to not repeat the same mistakes.

It’s challenging, though, to find the points on which we can change. Some people make points that we flat out disagree with, others take posts completely out of context or even spread total lies about us, some just have a very deep hatred of white people in general, and a special few wish death on us and even our pets. It’s challenging to wade through the anger to find civil discussions on the mistakes we’ve made, but – in the end – even if it’s uncomfortable to read them, it’s still a challenge we take on in our hopes of trying to grow and to improve our content. It’s something we hope that other bloggers can take heart in doing themselves, to keep on revising, to keep challenging themselves, and to keep growing :D

We want to thank all those people for the past seven years that have taken the time to send us an email or to write a blog post that criticized something with did or said in a civil and intelligent manner. If it wasn’t for you we wouldn’t haven taken the time to reflect on our mistakes. But to those of you that called us various names, threatened our lives, or harassed us online, we want you to know that your ugly comments are simply blocked out and dismissed. If you truly want someone to change or see fault in their ways, then screaming profanities at them is not the way to foster growth. If you’re truly and honestly looking for change then you need to take the time to be civil and discuss the issue with someone, otherwise you just seem like an angry crazy person spewing hatred and perpetuating violence.

So, I realize now that this probably would have went well over the 20 minute mark. Time really flies when you’re live on TV! It really felt like we were on there for, like, five minutes.

Altogether, though, looking at all of the rage that’s happening on Twitter, we do want to say that we’re sorry if you watched one of our videos and we said or did something that displeased you. We’re trying to get better. We never stop trying. But we mess up sometimes. Unfortunately, though, the internet looks like a game of Tetris: all of your accomplishments vanish, and all that remains behind are the mistakes you’ve made. Hopefully, we don’t keep on repeating those mistakes. Thanks to those of you who put up with our crap and support us over the years. After all, we’re only human and make dumb mistakes like everyone else in the world.

And, on that note, long live JISIMAKER!

Comments

Special Features

After School Club: What We Wanted to Say

1. I don’t know if you guys, sorry, guise, will see this, but I just wanted you to know that if all the people hating on you put that same energy into finding things to be cheerful about, like you guys do, this world would be wonderful indeed. <3

• Thanks for the great comment! We always read alllllll the comments even if we can’t respond to them all. It’s really easy to fall into an angry funk (I’ve been there before especially) but shifting your focus to cheerful things or helpful things (like volunteering at a food bank, feeding the homeless, being a Big Brother or Sister, walking animals at an animal shelter…) really imbues with positive energy.

2. Been a nasty ever since 2011 up till today when i stumbled upon one of your KMMs on tumblr and thought to myself “hey, they’re pretty funny ” so I followed you guys on your updates and watched your Livechats live when I have the time and I enjoyed all of your videos. Your FAPFAP make me hungry and your WANK just make me want to go adventuring :D. Thanks for all the videos you have made EYK .Well the internet are full of judgemental and ignorant people who tend to look on the outside but not the inside so heck care to them:) Get some rest and We’ll see you soon :)

3. Hi, Simon and Martina. This is probably my first comment in your page. :D The reason is really obvious. My english is soooooo bad T__T I understand when you guys talking, but for me writing is hell. I follow you since 2009 or 2010. I really really like your korean culture videos. I learn so much in your videos. Thank you so much for sharing with us your amazing adventures in Korea. I love it. 전 페루인이에요. ^^ 화이팅!

• Thanks for leaving a comment!! OMG don’t worry about your English, it’s fantastic! Something I always told my students when I was teaching is that the point of learning a language is to learn how to communicate with another person! If you’re so worried about making a tiny grammar mistake that you don’t even talk to someone, you’ve already failed. Just let the words flow out and say what’s on your mind! And honestly, English speakers don’t care about mistakes, we just want to chat. Also here is a secret: we are all terrible at grammar… ㅋㅋㅋ Please come back again and make some new friends! :D

• HI Suseet! I just wanted to say that I think your English is really good. You say that your written English is bad, but after reading your message, I disagree with you. Your English is great!!
      Please post more often and share your thoughts with us! It will make writing in English easier the more you do it, and all of us Nasties would love to hear from you!
      (Maybe one day, I’ll be able to write in Korean as well as you write in English!)

• Thank you :) Korean in the beginning is a little bit easy; then become harder. But fortunately in internet are so many free korean class in english. Because of that, i learn english. Hehe

4. HI s and m, firstly, HOW AWESOME IS NASTY LOVE? I know it has been hard to see on twitter and tumblr, because we don’t really have much of a platform to show how much we support you guys, and we couldn’t rebut the ridiculous statements on twitter because DAMN YOU CHARACTER LIMIT!

Anyway, the reason I, and so many other nasties, love your videos is because you are both so funny, and light hearted, and honest in your kmm reviews (though the other points stand for your other videos as well…I guess you could be honest about a croissant too?) Anyway, even if we didn’t agree with your opinions on kmm, most of us did not find it offensive, just the select few, now non-fans who dont understand the difference between having an opinion and saying extremely mean things against their apparently perfect idols.

Thank you for making this post to try and clear some things up, and I want to say that you perfectly touched on a point people seem to be missing, you are both human beings, who make mistakes, and you have been reviewing those mistakes, and are taking advice and are trying to be both better people and make better videos as such. The thing with hyuna was about 4 years ago, and although time doesn’t fix mistakes, you have learnt from that mistake, and are trying your best to ensure you don’t make the same mistake again, but people who are trying to hate you will and have dug through all of your content ti find the most minute things they can use agains you, even if it was from 4 years ago.

Anyway what I am trying to say is I don’t want you guys to stop being the funny, honest, bright, and friendly people we all love you for being, because of haters who don’t really have credible reasons for being so, which they would see they took a step back for 5 minutes. and anyway WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT ASC YOUNG MAN/WOMEN? YOU’RE SICK, SO GET YOURSELVES BACK INTO BED OR THEY COUCH OR ANYWHERE THAT INVOLVES YOU RESTING AND GETTING BETTER! *mum mode off*

5. Oh man, that Tetris analogy was beautiful. I’m still loving the way you guys at EYK are always growing and reflecting on things. Thank you for all the years and the years to come EYK Crew and friends!!

6. Well said! It was hard for me to read all those malicious comments on your twitter. It’s great to see that you guys have taken it in your stride, and sets a wonderful example of it all. It’s been rewarding for me as a viewer to watch your team improve over the years, and I look forward to the great content you’ll produce this year!

7. Hello Simon & Martina from Australia <3
    My best friend had introduced me to you guys ages ago, before you had your studio, when you moved to seoul and when Meemers wasn't part of your family then :) What made me stick to you guys and love you was because of KKM and your personality. Most of the opinions you gave I mostly agreed and I liked it when you gave both your position and negative comments. I think people are a little more sensitive or either they're just young. I was like that when I first go into kpop back in 2008 then I grew and cared only about the music than the artist.
    When I found out that you guys were going to be on ASC, I was so excited and had hoped that one day you guys were going to on it, you know being good friends with Eric and Kevin :D The first part I enjoyed it until I went to look at the YT comments which made me feel a bit sad of the mean comments. I had met you guys two years ago (wow times goes by so fast) for the 1st kwave festival and it was the best moment that year in 2013. You guys were sweet and loving people. After meeting you I teared up a bit because of happiness LOL Keep doing what you doing and I'll keep supporting you guys. Wish you guys best of luck and succeed more in the future :)

8. Hi there! I don’t post much but there is something I need to say. I’ve watched your videos since you guys were in that little apartment with the loft upstairs (that sounds so creepy but I’m not sure how else to describe it) and I have never once felt offended or insulted by you guys. I strongly believe that people like to just find things to be offended by, even if they have no clue what it really is, because people like to complain and be angry over nothing. The problem with internet is that most people use it to hide behind their screens to get away with attacking people and spreading awful things. And I don’t think it will ever go away. But the good thing about internet is that it’s a major portal to good things and freedom. You guys are able to show most of the world Korea and the life you have there. And just think that if you decide to have children one day, they will have the ultimate home videos. But seriously, how cool would it be for them to see this huge following you guys built and all the happiness you brought it? I suppose my point is that you guys should do what you want, don’t worry about offending anyone because most people aren’t really even offended, and be confidant that your work is wonderful :)

9. Haha JISIMAKER!! I think you guise are geniuses! I’m gonna be giggling about that band name all day.
    Congrats on being on ASC!! It’s so exciting watching your growth and increasing opportunities over the years.
    I’ve been following you guys, Simon and Martina, for a long time….actually, I’m not sure how long it has been but almost from the beginning. You two are so inspiring – you had dreams and aspirations and us Nasties got to watch as you guys worked to achieve so many things. Martina and Simon, you have accomplished so many things and are still continuing to grow.
    You two make me strive to work harder on the things I want and to never stop learning.

While some people have too much time to waste on their hands and nitpick over things that you did or said in the past that you have obviously reflected on and grown from, everyone has things they aren’t proud of. That is how people grown and improve in all aspects of life. It’s sad that some people waste their time on so much negativity, I imagine that they probably live a very negative life. Please don’t let those negative people get to you. We all love you guys here and part of the reason we love you guise is because you’re such upbeat, optimistic, fun, goofy, and loving people.

Simon and Martina: You are 100% responsible for sparking the idea of going to South Korea to teach English…with my dog. (After over a year of research on recruiters and taking my dog with me, I’m starting my TEFL course this month,)

Oops, kind of wrote a novel :3

Anyways, I love the entire EYK Crew, Simon, Martina, Spudgy, Meemers, and all the Nasties <3 <3 <3

P.S. Whether you keep or get rid of the Kpop Charts, I will support your decision. I primarily used it as a way to stay up to date on music in South Korea and discover new musicians.

10. I never realised how much hate you guys get, and it disgusts be that people would send death threats. You have the right mind though! By this criticism you can find a solution and improve. Don’t be embarrassed by your previous videos though because at the time that is the best you could do.

11. Once, I did a very long comment about a BAP MM, and I think I’ve did it properly, and was happy about it because I knew that you guise would read it without thinking I was just trying to get at you or something. After all, you both are adults and I think criticism, even though it’s sometimes really hard to handle, is a good thing on the long run.

And that’s why I wish you a Happy New Year and I hope this year, we’ll be able to see more of you and the EYK crew. I also somewhat feel like I missed you last year. There was still videos, yes. But, and that’s my own opinion, I feel like there’s been less K-content stuff than before. Maybe because it’s been more oriented on travels, maybe because there’s more WTF and live chat, I don’t really know. I miss the K-Indie playlist and the KMM that are focused on only one MV (or two, mainly because you can go throught it more deeply and come up with funny sketches and stuff like that). I also greatly miss Kpop Update, but I know this will not come back, sadly. I was happy about the inland travel you made with you crew though. That was really fun to watch and we still learned about Korea, seen pretty countryside scenery. I always liked WANK for that : learning about other korean things than music. I also still enjoy your TLDR a lot, for the same reason, and because we can understand more how your brains and your minds work (if that makes sense).

I know you’re working on other project too, like the coffee shop and the app and I know that there’s only 24h in a day, 7 days a week and all that jazz. I get also that at one point, you might evolve in something new or different from what you’ve been, and that’s ok. I’m only saying that I miss your input on music, A LOT. And that I wish will be able to have more WANK in Korea too. I like WTF, but really not as much as all the other segment because it sorta became a trend in Youtube : find something weird and try it in front of the camera. Yeah, it’s still somewhat fun, but it’s also getting somewhat old after a while.

I also hope you get some rest during January and you come back recharge n February!

12. Cheers guys! I was on a bus for an hour and a half when all those tweets started coming on Saturday, and it was the strangest thing to see. I’m glad you got the opportunity to write this out and share your POV. I noticed some of the hate tweets were sheer trolls, trying to get blocked or cause a ruckus. I’ve always liked the way you put genuine thought into your videos, particularly the TL;DR ones, and you’ve definitely grown since I started watching (though I don’t remember a time I ever felt offended by anything you’ve said…)

Anyhow, I’m so happy you were on ASC (actually, right before you guys tweeted about it, I was wondering if you guise would ever make an appearance), and it’d be so fun to see you both on again for more After Shows or specials! I particularly appreciated the clever acronyms that it seemed no one picked up on at first…

13. Hi Simon and Martina! I am so happy that you guys went on After School Club! I don’t watch the show regularly but I love the show and especially this one since you guys are already friends with Kevin and Eric. It doesn’t even look like recording a show but just a hangout with friends!!!
    And also +1 to your supporter list because I am joining it! I first came across your video on polite hand gestures while I was searching on Youtube for videos about Korean culture. It was around 2 years ago when I started being interested in Korean culture and language so I watched a lot of the TL;DR. I learnt a lot from the fun videos! K-pop Music Monday introduce me to K-pop! I haven’t been too interested in K-pop before but watching your programs are just real fun and entertaining that I can’t help but start paying more attention to all the K-pop musics! What I like most about your programs are that you don’t just compliment on songs, food, or anything blindly and allows viewers to see it in a different angle. Moreover, you guys do it in a humorous and comedy way, which just make things x100 better^^
    I was so sad when you guys posted that there won’t be any videos in January…T^T I went on Youtube everyday to check for your new videos everyday for the last 2 years>< but I hope the EYK crew can have a good rest and come back with more awesome videos!!! and please keep on doing K-pop Music Mondays! I think it would be better if you can review on the whole album instead of just the title song because often for me, the title song is not my fav in the whole album. Please keep on doing it because this program is basically my source to new K-pop artist and song!
    OH and I am planning on having a 2-4 weeks vacation to Korea this coming summer!!! Can you possibly make a video on suggest sight seeing spots or even a whole route of seeing all the best things in Korea? Thank you soooooooo much and support you guys!!!

14. I usually don’t post comments but this time it feels necessary. I have watched your videos for a long time and i find it very sad that people are being so mean toward you guys. Know that us nasties are still here supporting you. Please dont feel down. I never felt displeased by tour videos but of course people have the right to have their own opinions, though i greatly disagree in the way they have been expressing it. I also disagree in the way that they try to influence others instead of letting them form their own opinions. Honestly i feel sorry for how people have been attacking you and i wish i could do something to make you feel better …. virtual hugs i guess xoxo
    I’ll still support you so keep your head up and be strong ;)

15. Simon, Martina, Leigh, and SooZee; you guys are awesome. I always have watched your videos and always will. You guys are filled with personality and have helped fall in love with Korean culture. I can’t wait for the next video! Take care homies!

Chris

16. I don’t post comments that often since I’m a shy person, but I’ve seen a lot of angry comments lately, which is saddening. :/ I have been watching your videos since 2011 so I guess I got attached to you guys like, a lot. I mean, I really enjoy watching the EYK crew just being themselves and all dorky. Without you guys, I would have never knew about awesome indie artists like Rocket Diary, Space Cowboys, Idiotape, Neon Bunny, etc. and lots of kpop groups. (Poop, I dont’t even know where do I belong in the kpop world, why does it have to be separated into many fandoms? So that indecisive people like me that loves all those bands will always suffer?) Anyways, I hope the best for you and the nasty family (and for Martina: You can do it!)

PS: I also wanted to tell you that whenever you keep or take down the music charts, I’ll still support you guys, although I enjoyed using it. Personally, I don’t consider it to be useless or a waste of time like other people would say because I like to discover new songs! (Lets spread the love of music on those angry burning toasts!)
    PS#2: I didn’t know where I could tell you this so I decided to do it here. Ha! A year ago, I had a pretty weird dream with you guy in it: We were in some kind of super fancy-looking mansion and we went upstairs. Then, suddenly SNSD and EXO appeared with the “We’ve been waiting for you” look on their faces and Kai came to Martina and kissed her pink bangs to thank her for praising his seductive hip-thrusting dance skills. What the O_o. (I also remember while watching one of the livechats that you also have “special” dreams, like when Simon had a scary dream and he was able wake up on his own xD)

17. This and Martina’s New Year’s post are by far two of my favorite pieces of writing from you both. Your honesty and humility are so admirable, and so rare on the internets (or in life for that matter) these days. I feel like this lesson of being able to admit my own failings and humbly try to do better is one I’ve been learning anew over the past year. Keep up the great work! And keep the more serious pieces coming–though I love your humor, I really enjoy when you both open up and share your more serious and personal sides, too. Much love and appreciation!

18. Hi guys

I felt the need to comment as a long time fan and ex-crazy kpop fan.
    I have watched and participated in my share of fan wars, altough that was quite a few years back. Looking at the drama that goes down now makes me feel old :*)

I support your decision in taking down the kpop charts and stopping the KMM. Beacuse no matter how you reason, how you phrase it, fans will be disappointed and angry at the skits and reviews. And there is no need for the two of you to take this hate and frustration upon your shoulders! Life itself is difficult enough without adding more trouble that you can choose to avoid.

The both of you are so lovely and bubbly and adorable, there are no youtubers out there that can match you. But if you guys had been active during my most insane time I would have said mean things about you, most likely. It’s a sad thing to look back on, but as you say, we can all grow and change. But change takes time, years for most people, and as they grow up others come of age and start doing the same thing. So trying to change how some kpoppers think is like doing the work of Sisyphus. It will never end. Don’t go there, go forward instead. You have made your peace offering with this.

I really like that you are branching out and doing more things. I thoroughly enjoy all your current project. I support all your endeavours. I wish you the best of luck and will support you again and again. Take time to get well again. Lots of love!

19. I just want to say that I love all of your mistakes :) Your old videos are what drew me to you, and what started the love that I have for you guys. I may not be on the internet doing blogs, but I have made the same mistakes, or said or thought the same things about stuff in Korea. Like you I have grown out of it, or were truly embarassed when I think back on it all…lol. Your stuff helps me grow as a person who loves korea. You guys were fun back then, and your even more fun now. The fact that you want to make sure, not to repeat your mistakes from the past says everything anyone needs to know. Anyway I am happy to be a Nasty and def will still watch you guys.

20. I think the past videos you made were right for the time and now that kpop has grown and fans have changed. So to go back and watch them they can be taken offensively by some people,
    I support the change in your channel to stop the kpop charts and such because i would have done the same with how intense some fans can be and how easily offended everyone on the internet is, can’t please everyone. And now th Kpop fandom is bigger there are more people to please!

But those who genuinely love your videos will love the old videos aswell, so it makes the Nasty community closer knowing that they have seen past videos and still enjoy them and still love you guys for it, i love the old EYK videos! The more nasty the better, Kpop is getting nastier so EYK can too :P

Love you guys, have been a fan for 5 years now!

21. Yay, ASC! I also just wanted to say that your videos provide an opportunity for me to learn more about Korea and its culture, from your perspectives. They are entertaining, at times informative, but overall, inspiring. I would have not gotten this exposure to the Korean culture (also Japanese and European, especially the food, lol) otherwise. You have a right to enjoy doing what you want, and if viewers like me enjoy the process, like the youtube videos and blog posts, then all the better. The whole point of growing and developing, is to learn from mistakes. There will be good days and bad days. You guys are doing great. It is absolutely wrong of others to cyberbully you.

22. i’ve been a keen subscriber since your first year on youtube and never felt the need to disagree with anything you’ve said! i don’t understand the hate because it’s human nature to poke fun at the things we may or may not understand. you’ve made me laugh so hard and learn so much that i’ve planned for 2 years to go to South Korea as soon as i graduate from school.
    much love and support, Sydney nasty :)

23. This song pretty much sums up how destructive commenters should be considered.

24. JISIMAKER 4 Lyfe!

This was a really fun video! I have watched a good number of kpop music/talk/variety shows and after watching a few, they can get pretty repetitive and feel a bit rehearsed. Except Running Man, I love that show! I have only seen one other episode of After School Club, but as you guys said it seems very natural and fun.

I also wanted to add to the out pour of Nasty love and say how wonderful you guys are! I found your videos from Martina’s first BB Cream review and then binge-watched all of your videos over the next two days. I personally have never been offended by anything you have done or said in your videos, probably because I have the same sense of humor, and I have seen the respect that you show to Korean culture and your fans. It seems that people get on their soap boxes when someone makes comments (positive or negative) about another culture, race, gender, etc. Like “I can talk smack about my momma, but you can’t” kind of thing. Or people being called a “weeaboo” just because they like Japanese culture, anime, manga, or whatever. It is almost like you are damned if you like it or damned if you don’t.
    I watch a lot of British comedians and they tend to slay Americans (excluding you Canada, everyone pretty much loves you guys) when it comes to their stand-up. At first I was really offended by the things that they said because it was someone from another country making fun of my country. However, when I stepped back and realized it was a joke and actually very accurate, I could laugh about it. Instead of seeing it as an attack just because they weren’t American, I understood that it was said in jest and there was nothing malicious behind it. Just because someone is from a different country or culture, doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to like, make observations, or comment on another country/culture. Especially if they are doing it in a respectful and appropriate manner. And if you don’t like what they are saying, walk away. You don’t need to seek them out and then take it upon yourself to get offended on behalf of other people. But I have just decided that you can’t make everyone happy and it is best to surround yourself with people that are kind, honest, and rational. Rational being the key word here.

Anyway, on to happier thoughts. I honestly don’t know what I would do without your videos, so thank you so much for all that you do!! Wishing you health and happiness in 2015!

25. Hey guys, can anyone just explain to me the whole situation? I just saw this post on my twitter feed and read it naturally but this post seemed darker than others :/
    I did some digging into EYK past tweets and they werent nice at all. However im still confused on where this is from? Did EYK say something that ruffled some feathers of a particular fandom?

Fan of EYK for years and I have never seen so much childish and immature comments/hate on this channel.
    EYK has opinions just like everyone else and it seems like something was taken out of context :/

Cheers guys. EYK <3

• I’m so confused too, I’ve never seen the mean comments they are getting and for me it came out of nowhere. All my friends that are into KPOP love Simon and Martina and I’ve only seen positive things about them in the past

26. Hope to see JISIMAKER debut one day HAHAHAHA!
    I really love how you deal with the haters so maturely. I was watching ASC and the comments just got so out of hand that it was kinda disturbing =o=
    @Martina That dress looked beautiful btw! Anyways hope to see more EYK this year!!

27. It was totally worth it staying up until 2 AM for you guys and to have my tweet read by Kevin (U-Kiss is one of my top 5 favorite male groups) and for you guys to say hi specifically to the green region. The show was enjoyable as always and the band name (Fighting JISIMAKER!) and sneaking in of W.A.N.K. and I.F.A.R.T gave me a laugh. I appreciated your blog post too because what I like about you guys more than the videos you make is your love for each other, your pomposity, your humility and your desire to grow and become better people. Those are the things that cause me to respect you and love you. Your videos along with discovering my love for culture (as it incorporates all the things I like learning and talking about: food, music, books, theater, art, architecture, history, philosophy, etc.) have created in me a desire to learn more about Korea. I want to move there and teach so I can go beyond the honeymoon stage and to really begin to know the culture and to challenge and stretch myself and the beliefs, values and ideas I hold. So I thank you Simon, Martina and the entire EYK crew for growing and for encouraging me to grow myself.

• not pomposity!Yikes, that is no where near what I meant. I intended positivism. Testament to the importance of triple checking.

28. Hi guise. I watched the show and I was part of the LOA (Live Online Audience) in replacement of Vero Mejia that could not be there because of the time zone. The whole show was excellent. I was worried that some A-hole Hater could try to ruin the show but everything went silky smooth. It was a shame you could not answer the last planned question as you mentioned in this post, but the fact that you wrote this is more enough reason to stop the silly hate against you. Not only you proved that you recognize some mistakes done in the past, but you also showed everyone that you grow from those experiences and evolve around those mistakes. I honestly don’t think the haters will dissapear but at least you tried to reason with them.

I believe this year 2015 will be an awesome year for the whole Eat Your Kimchi crew and all the nasties.

I wish you the best and we’ll be supporting you toghether with Verito from our facebook page “Soy Un Dorito” where we have this space for Spanish speaking Nasties.

Long live JISIMAKER!!!!

29. Another great name would have been Kjems! All your initials lol. This is actually my first time commenting even though I’ve been watching you guys since Exo “What is love”! I still watch it now and then. Love from Florida!

30. Wow…… so much hate….. wow too many haters… wow…..

Speaking about when i found out that EYK will be a guest in ASC After Club i was thrilled.. like ive been a fan you guys since a long long time ago, and thanks for me being a sasaeng i can meet you guys TWICE first, when i just arrived in seoul, and just wandering around hongdae when finally i saw that building with the always on lightning, then i was accross the street tweeting you hardly, until martina shows up in the studio windows, pointing downstairs to tell me simon was across the street. And the second meet was, (THIS ONE IS LIKE A TOTAL SASAENG MODE, AND BECAUSE THE FIRST DOOR WAS UNLOCKED, SO YEAH) in front of your studio door, sitting in the stairs, while writing a quick fan letter,and then you two come up, simon was in a total shock, martina was holding a spudgy, and then i was locked up cause you two think no one up there but there’s was me. It happen way back there in january 2013. I dont know if you guys remember this but, yeah it was AWESOME.. lolz

Well back to the news that you will be a guest in ASC..
    I dont really watch or live streaming to ASC, because it just not my thing (no hate please ㅠㅠ), after i found out u guys will be on asc, in an instant i fill the request to be in the hang out.. i was happy finally they were on LIVE TV Programme.. but after i read carefully about all these hate towards them i feel like… yooooo calm down,yes they were just a human who makes a mistake.. i mean like who are you can judging them?? They not gonna always fulling all what you wish.. so please stop all these hate, spread love to all people…

Peace out

여러분~~~~~~ 사랑해~~ ♡♡♡♡

31. I managed to catch this episode of ASC live and was so excited to see you guys on it! (I normally don’t watch it, but did just for you guys). I LOVE all your videos, and no joke you guys are far and away my favorite youtubers. I watch all of your videos as soon as I can, and although I only became a kpop fan and a nasty shortly thereafter in 2011, I did go back and watch almost all of your older videos and have watched every single one since then. You bring so much joy and laughter to your fans! I was honestly shocked and surprised to see so much blind hate against you in the live comments on the ASC video. Kpop stars are still normal people, and normal people have a sense of humor. Good-naturedly poking fun at or pointing out ridiculousness isn’t wrong or bad to do in the slightest. And let’s be honest here, there are a ton of ridiculous things going on in kpop (funny and not-so-funny) and it’s good to talk about them and not always be super serious about everything. And come on, kpop can be really fluffy anyway, so why get so uppity about a few slight criticisms, which are usually just jokes? As your meeting with U-Kiss and other groups prove, the stars themselves have no problems with the jokes, and like them too! It’s more fun to go through life with a positive attitude, not taking anything too seriously, and being silly–which you guys show again and again. I hope to have a fun life (and fun, loving marriage) like you guys. Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t pay attention to the senseless haters! If anything, I don’t think you guys should be walking on eggshells and can be more blunt/honest and poke more direct fun in your videos if you want to. Haters are going to find something to hate anyway, so why try to tone it down for them when us Nasties love you the way you are. I love that you guys try to find the positive and continually strive to grow and be better!! You guys are awesome and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! <3

32. I don’t get it why apologize for stuff done in the past? I love it that you guys give your honest opinion, even if its taken the wrong way whats the big deal. It was in the past, opinions change and as time goes on you get a greater understanding of korean culture and how sensitive some kpop fans are.

Here is a question: what videos are you apologizing for anyway?

• Generally speaking, apologizing shows that you are aware that you’ve hurt someone, either physically or emotionally, that you didn’t intend to cause harm, that you’re sorry you hurt them, that you have learned from the experience, and that you will try to do better in the future. Apologizing helps to repair damaged relationships–even little ones like stepping on a stranger’s toes.

We can’t see inside people’s hearts and minds, so we have to trust their words and actions. If someone never apologizes, how do we know they feel sorry for something they did? Even if they never do it again, we might think they just haven’t had the opportunity (or something like that). So we need them to apologize to help start rebuilding our trust in them and our relationship with them.

I admire a lot of what Martina and Simon have accomplished with EYK, but they’re human. They’ve made some mistakes along the way (*cough* Fangurilla *cough*). They will continue to make mistakes. Acknowledging those mistakes and promising to grow from them makes me admire them more.

Now if they’d just bring back KMM…

• I know that apologizing is when you are AWARE that you hurt people in which case that is great to apologize for. But if the event happened in the past and you did not even know you offended someone and that someone brings up that they were offended by you in the past when you had no idea, sure you can apologize.

But if that happens often like in every video you ever make, you are just going to be apologising constantly because anyone can be offended by anything. I guess I find it annoying because Simon and Martina try in their videos to reiterate over and over that it is their opinion. When EYK does any sort of skit or whatever its never to hurt other people.

Yet people still get offended and they apologize often because they care about their fans. For me it basically says sorry for having opinions different from yours on whatever subject. If they are apologising for a specific part of a video or something that would be a different story.

Also I personally found fangurilla hilarious whereas other people may be offended, should Simon and Martina apologize and get rid of it because others are offended? I hope not because if they go down the path of trying to please everyone, instead of being themselves and having fun with it regardless of what people think, I think EYK would change for the worse.

I guess I just want them to know that they don’t have to apologise for their opinions but if they did something they think offended a ton of people be SPECIFIC or else it feels like you are sorry for everything even the fun things.

33. The best way is always through. Cheer up :)
    Not everybody is going to love you or understand you, however, keep your heads up, take care of your heart and dont let this define or bitter the wonderful things and accomplishments you have made this far. Mi favorite parts on your videos is seeing you enjoy life and the little thing, so dont let this problems turn your vision about your work the other way around, dont live for the hate or the love. Simon and Martina remember that hurting people often hurt other people as a result of their own pain. I always love your work but appreciate the fact that you are working on growing in your different areas, just focus on your passion because in life you always are up or down but never stable, dont let your inner peace be shaky regardless of whats happens on the outside. Teach people with your example! LOVE YOU <3

34. Nicely said. I’ve watched you guys for quite a while. I’ve never seen you say anything intentionally mean.

35. I love your videos! They bring a smile to my face and brighten my days while introducing me to new things and cultures. Your euronasty tour videos were fantastic! Keep up the good work!

I have been watching your videos for a number of years now. Overtime, it became a tradition to watch your Kpop Music Mondays at the dinner table with the rest of my family. Your videos even helped to turn my mom into a Kpop fan!!!!

The feature I used the most on your website has always been the Kpop charts. They are the only way I discover new Kpop songs and bands. I noticed that your website no longer features the Kpop charts this past week and was honestly shocked. I feel that they are an integral part of the EatYourKimchi website along with the weekly Kpop Music Mondays (which both I and the rest of my family misses dearly). But if that’s not the direction you want to take your website in, that’s fine too. I’ll still be a huge fan of he EYK Crew regardless. :)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for 2015!

36. Chin up! All of us grow and learn from our mistakes. There is no one in the WORLD who has not done something and realised how bad it may be perceived to some others. Honestly, without some people notifying me more about certain subjects, I would be so vague about a lot of things! I think a lot of us want to hit the 2011 side of ourselves to be honest (or even a year beforehand!) Everyone grows from mistakes and forgiveness is the best medicine to help one grow too :) Keep up your hard work!

37. Haters are gonna hate. But, Just keep doing you eyk because you’re awesome!

38. First, JISIMAKER LMAO!

Secondly, you guys are fun, smart, and happy people. It’s cliched to say haters are gonna hate, but they are. Especially if the people they are hating are doing cool awesome stuff. Besides Kpop fans, there are Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and many more stans who get overly sensitive about what they are stanning. Unfortunately, there are many sad people who take their unhappiness out on others. Everyone just needs to calm down, and personally, as a fan, I feel that you do not need to pander to them anymore. That said, you should not listen to me either. We are all here because we like it when you do you.

39. I was squealing with delight when I heard you guys were going on ASC! I love that show and considering that you guys, Kevin and Eric have had a past together, I knew this episode was going to be a blast. Great way to start 2015.

As for your blog itself, I became a nasty just last year and I’ve watched some of your older videos, and maybe it’s me but I don’t find any of it all that offensive? What really saddens is to see how people are reduced to emotional fits and statements that really should be better left unsaid. And call me oblivious, but I don’t see these “mistakes” that you are claiming. At the end of the day, it’s your opinion and yes it’s subject to public reaction, however I think people really ought to back off and spend all that hated energy in knitting…or whatever makes them happy.

While this is an opportunity to develop your craft in creating videos, I hope that these criticisms don’t completely get to it, to the point where when you talk, everything just seems watered down and isn’t completely truthful. Netizens will always be netizens, will have nothing proud of about their lives living behind a keyboard, while you guys, are truly an inspiration for all the work you’ve done in the past 7 years. Sure, there have been things said I don’t necessarily agree with, but you live in your truth and convictions.

Here’s to a bright 2015! :)

40. Grab a cuppa cos this is a long one
    I like EYK it makes me laugh.
    Thoughts on haters

The odd thing about taking offence – It’s all about the person taking offence, not the perceived words/actions, as something you find offensive today, you wouldn’t even notice it two days later.
    This kind of attack is like the agro dude in the Bar:
    “ Hay you what you looking at” “You looking at me?” “you looked at me strange” wana go outside and I’ll smack your face in.
    And you hadn’t even noticed his existence – and that was the real problem. Violent attention seeking.
    The only “error ‘ you might have made was to tell the world that you were sick, = venerable = potential victim, and that ‘weakness” can be used to leverage perceived power and recognition by the needy.
    But the psychology of this is fascinating. And the behaviour will never be properly addressed, as clubs, schools, societies, religions, governments and terrorists use the same tactics to control and motivate (for good or bad) its members/population. If you follow me/belong to the group you are special and superior if you are not part of us you are not special you are subhuman and we can do whatever we want to you.
    Unfortunately this behaviour is part of being human, the scared sad lonely, desperately trying to belong and gain recognition and approval, as people are usually happiest in a clan/tribe, and to show that you belong to the Clan, you follow the leader – especially if the leader is a spiteful damaged unit, as you show really strong exaggerated support so they don’t turn on you!
    I wondered who these people really were who were spouting venom , and picked a hand full and had a rummage around in their social media, Internet not so anonymous, within nano-seconds I had found their full names, pets, younger siblings, friends and sporting team members. Where they went to school/ Uni and the clubs they are involved in, also the emails of club committees etc. They seemed bog standard normal likeable people. Also I followed links to other social media and blogs. Blogs talking about loneliness and problems with friends and family and not fitting in – the total teen to adult experience.
    One girl who had poured her heart out about loneliness seemed to be being groomed for something unsavoury as a clearly an adult was posting explicit material to her timeline – scary
    A couple others seemed a bit more unnerving, their accounts void of all personal stuff, and using a mature vocabulary and appeared to be driving things or cajoling others.
    Note: some of these scary people are older family men with unknown motivations …. Be aware.
    After reading some of the “trolls” blogs I just wanted to give them a big hug!
    But saying that being sad and lonely frustrated and angry at your current life or afraid of being excluded shouldn’t be a reason to attack and threaten people. Or at least you should be aware that in that state you can be easily manipulated into saying/doing things you wouldn’t normally do.

Anyhoo carry on be happy have fun and cause no harm!