TL;DR – China vs Korea

June 6, 2014

Comments

So, we tend to do these TL;DRs whenever we come back from traveling. We’ve done them on Australia, Japan, Europe, and Toronto. Now for one on Beijing and China. Hooray! I’m sure we’ll do one comparing LA’s Koreatown to Korea’s, umm, Koreacountry when we get back at the end of the month!

Back to Beijing, though, apart from the things we mentioned, there were a few other things we found interesting that we hope maybe you could help shed some light on.

Namely, we spoke with one of the event organizers at the conference we were attending. She’s a German girl living in Beijing. We asked her if she has a similar experience to us, in that Korean people often ask us if we’re American. She said no, people in Beijing often ask her if she’s Russian. Russian saram? Russian saram!? We asked her if there was the same kind of connotation there with asking a girl if she’s Russian as there is here in Korea, and she was totally shocked. So, for those of you in the know…is there a similar connotation in Beijing and China, or is it just what we’re experiencing here in Korea?

Another difference we found in Beijing: taxis. They’re still pretty cheap like taxis in Seoul, but it seems so much harder to get a taxi in Beijing than it is here. We only got into a Rickshaw after waiting for 20 minutes and not getting any taxis at all. I’m glad we didn’t get a taxi that night, though, because it was an absolutely wonderful experience and I’d gladly ride those instead of taxis for the rest of my life. SOOO FUN! We also saw a lot of “black cars” or something along those lines: black cars would stop in front of us and ask us where we’re going, but our guide would ignore them and only try to get the regular taxis, supposedly because the black cars aren’t licensed or something like that. Anyone have more info on this? We never experienced anything like that in Seoul.

Anyhow, we’d love to hear what you guise think. For those of you who have been to Beijing, what was your experience like, and what was different? We’d love to go to Beijing again. The food alone is reason for us to go. Korea: y u no have Chinese food here? YOU’RE SO CLOSE! Bring me some deep fried beans! Do it!

If you’d like some delicious deep fried beans from China, click on this pretty button below. Free beans for you!

Comments

TL;DR

TL;DR – China vs Korea

1. I’ve never been to Korea but I spent 8 days in Beijing and Tianjin. I honestly did not feel the smog that much, nor the yellow sand, yet it was during spring of ’11, so that might be why. As I want to go on and study Chinese and Japanese at University, I figured that Beijing will probably be my home for a year, so I’ll probably have to get used to it! But I thoroughly enjoyed the video, and would love to come to Korea as I love all things asian :D

OOH I REMEMBER! Did you ever see those babies have those weird trousers on that would fold down so they can sh*t? I found that kinda bizarre, and also I got stared at a ton also and asked to get photos of me because of my blonde hair…it doesn’t bother me though because they were lovely!

Once again, thanks for the informative video! Can’t wait for the next one!

Love you guys :D

2. As a child, I went to Guangzhou, Guangdong, China with my family for summer vacation. At that time, the area was still very country-like. There were a some cars, but most of them were taxis. Most people were riding motor scooters or bicycles, and if you were very rich you owned a car.
    I actually do not remember seeing any lines painted on the streets. The motorways had cars, motor scooters, and bikes criss-crossing each other. When my dad would wave for a cab, it would just cut through the roads diagonally or make a giant U-turn where ever.
    I did not remember too much about the air quality, but I do remember the unbearable heat. Like Simon, I find it very uncomfortable to breathe or sleep in hot air so I was grateful for air conditioners. The one thing I did not like were the mosquitoes.
    Also, when it rained, the roads would flood because the sewer system was built poorly. Anyone who did not have raised porches had to take buckets to scoop the water out of their entry ways.
    As for shirtless men, I just thought the weather was too hot so they were shirtless. What disturbed me somewhat were the older men with big bellies who would sit shirtless with one leg propped up fanning themselves and smoking. I was told later on that only poor people would do that. If you had money, no matter how hot it was you wore dress pants.

3. Kinda understand why you loved the Norwegian air now^^Must.appreciate.my.air.more Also shirtless is not rare to see during the summer in norway, I actually didn’t think much about it but during a trip to east europe with some friends it was so hot that most of the boys naturally went topless, and we got alot of stares which I thouhgt what? its hot ofc they take their shirts of. I was recently in Oslo and since summer has started all the people are suntanning in the parks, and ‘m not kidding girls in bikinis and boys in shorts like its on the beach. Even in the park sorrounding the royal castle^^ so i guess its not a big deal here^^=P (though i wouldn’t recomment come to church that way)

4. I’ve been to India multiple times (I’m from India) and I’ve also been to China, and I have to say the driving in India is SO MUCH WORSE. It’s actually ridiculous haha. Everyone is literally bumper to bumper (usually in the main cities), bicyclers and motorcycles will squeeze in every possible crevice, often times with multiple people riding on it, and you can’t go more than 10 seconds without hearing several honks. And whenever there IS room to drive, people are going 100mph. Also animals, lots and lots of animals hahah. There are definitely rules and signs everywhere, but nobody actually follows them lol.

5. My favorite part of going to Beijing was the food at the hotel we stayed at! That and the fact that I could find Pringles at the local market place! Also, my relatives in China told me that the drivers of black cars do not belong to legit taxi companies, and should not be trusted. Basically, the black cars are “shady.” Maybe some locals take these cars, but for people who are just visiting (and/or aren’t fluent in Chinese), you probably shouldn’t take them!

6. This video spoke so much truth about the air and the driving TuT…. My family moved to beijing when I was in middle school, I got this weird bronchitis like problem within a month or so…. My pores could feel the particles of dust sometimes when the yellow dust was very bad…. Even though Beijing is a very very cool city with a lot of rich culture and fun things to do, it really isn’t the best choice of residence if one wants a healthy long life with clean air to breathe in…

As for the driving, ohhhhhh jeeeez….. I’m now so used to the polite north American driving/drivers, where not only do they follow all the traffic rules, but they would also recognize that the pedestrians are to be respected in the jungle of motor vehicles… When I went back to BJ to visit during a summer a couple of years ago, I WAS TERRIFIED TO CROSS THE STREET even when it was green light for the pedestrians…. THE CARS JUST ROAR THROUGH when the tinniest gap is visible…. and the drivers aren’t scared to honk… What the locals do is they form a giant bulk of people, and they move through the super fierce traffic as one entity… It’s a remarkable act of unity I’d say…. And I think there’s some strategic choices to be made too as to where you stand in that bulk of people, to ensure your maximum safety and agility. Even though I live in the downtown core of Beijing where the roads are equipped with a lot of electronic surveillance devices and frequent police patrols, the street-crossing scene is still the number one most frightening thing that I have to re-familiarize myself with every time I visit.

About the taxis and how it’s super hard to get one, I had some not so pleasant experiences where when I painstakingly finally got a taxi (a regular licensed one), the driver refused to take me where I wanted to go… Maybe it was cuz it was during rush hour, and this is probably not the most common situation, but I was kinda surprised that the driver would turn down business =3….

One thing I absolutely love about Beijing’s transportation though, is its public transit system. The subway is soooo well-built, with safety doors and stuff, especially since the 2008 olympics, the newer lines are all sooooo nice and pretty and most of em have AC. It also covers a large ground (?), you can very easily go anywhere on the subway, even to places that are considered the “outskirts” or the 5th or 6th “ring” of the BJ city. Annnnd, what’s best is that the fare is super affordable, last time I checked, it was at only 2 yuan per ticket and you can go however far you want!!! The buses are super frequent unlike the rare sighting of some Toronto TTC buses… sigh… it’s so bad in the winter. But I guess it’s cuz BJ is so much more heavily populated than TO and even at 1 or 2 min a bus it’s not enough to transport all the people sometimes…

Woo this is a super long post =3…. just wanted to share my experience =D

7. When I went to India a few years ago, the one thing I remember the most was how scary it would be to drive there. So much honking!!!! and even though there are signs EVERYWHERE telling you not to honk, people still do. Also, there are no limits to how many people can fit a motorcycle as well as the police can stop you whenever for whatever reason, and really, they just want some money out of you. ALSO, when we were going up the mountains of Hamachal Pradesh, there were so many goats!!! Also there are random water buffalo loose so stay clear from them :D good tiimes

8. It is always so interesting for me to see you guys talk about the differences and the similarities. I can’t wait to go visit South Korea and China and see them for myself. (*≧艸≦) But going to your question about shirtless-ness in other countries…

OHOHO… -sigh- (´;ω ;`) In Mexico, it is as common as eating tacos for dinner. It is everywhere and every single time it gets hot, you will see AT LEAST three middle-aged guys or more (probably more) with their shirts off and sadly, none of them have Rain or 2PM abs. They will walk around, rub their bellies, work, eat, everything without their shirts off. I live very close to a car fixer… car… car fixer thing (you know…) and the men who work there are CONSTANTLY half naked, it is not a pretty view at all.

I have gone to where you guys were, Mexico DF, and I didn’t see it as much, probably because I was more in the inner city area. But if you head out to smaller cities or towns, it is extremely common, especially because we constantly have very hot, humid weather. If only they could turn into hot, sexy men! _(´д`」∠)_

9. When i was listening to u guys i thought u were talking about India. I live in a small town in North India and I have never been to China but I bet India has many more non-sexy shirtless men than any other country because its very hot. You will even see some naked babies playing in the dirt in slums and rural areas.
    India does have a high rate of car accidents maybe because one can get a license here just by signing a few legal papers(you don’t even have to give a test) and also because traffic rules are not strictly obeyed. If you don’t want a ticket you can slide 100 rupees to the traffic policeman and you’ll be free.
    The rickshaw rides in India can be scary and will definitely give you an adrenaline rush. But its the second fastest and cheapest way to reach your destination, after the metro. The rickshaw drivers know the shortcuts and if you ask them the way to your destination most of them will readily tell the least time consuming way. They know more than the GPS will ever reveal. Also if you want to easily cross platforms in railway stations you can just walk across the rail lines when the police is not watching and when there are no trains(obviously).
    During summer its really hot and dusty here and if u r lucky there will not be a hot wind. Sometimes it can be difficult to breathe because of the rare air esp during afternoons. If u r really lucky it will rain but that will be a relief for only two-three hours. Just before the rains it gets really humid and you will soak your shirt within five minutes of walking in the sun.If you plan to visit India I would suggest the winter season because its comparatively warmer than Korea (except in extreme Northern India).
    This is just North India. South India is almost completely different.
    People in India do stare at foreigners if they are not used to them. And many people here don’t even know a foreign language other than English. I remember my friend and I were walking on an empty road when we saw a Japanese man doing yoga. And since I knew a little bit of Japanese, being the anime crazy person that i am, I talked to him. The next day i was a hit in school because apparently i was the only one who knew a foreign language other than english. Now though because of me and my kpop crazy friend we have been able to spread the goo jun pyo, lucifer, what is love, i am the best and fantastic baby fever thanks to gangnam style.
    Thanks for reading my long comment. Love you guys and I really hope you guys can come to India.

10. Ahh, I so wanna go to China as well as Korea, that’s be amazing. I live in a more or less small town (3rd biggest in Norway), but I LOVE big cities and the skyline that these cities have!! It’s so beautiful whoa, so I can’t wait to visit these cities!!

11. I live in North Carolina, where shirts are optional. My guy friends live for warm enough weather (80F or higher) to pull off their shirts, and on my sister’s college campus, women wander in just their bras, not even necessarily sportsbras. My friends have played jokes by going outside in the snowy weather in bare feet and no shirt, because the weather’s not cold enough for it to be all that dangerous. Or maybe they’re just stupid. Some of my girl friends wear crop tops in the middle of winter. I’ve sported a crop top in really hot weather a few times, and even one of my guy friends made crop tops out of his old shirts and wears them sometimes because he’s not comfortable taking his whole shirt off like seemingly 99% of the male NC population. My dad dwells about shirtless on hot Saturdays. Is this NC, or is this just my town?

12. Where I come from in China, if you’re leaving downtown at rush hour to go back home in the suburbs, it is common to take “black” taxis. Instead of waiting for the bus (which has no A/C, is packed with people, dirty as dirt), there are taxis near the bus stop that embark 4 people at a time for 5 yuan/person and drop you off at a street corner near your house in the suburbs which takes about 10 min, whereas the bus is 2 yuan/person and takes around 30 min. I don’t know if it is a legal practice, but it is very common for locals to do so! In our neighbourhood, there are even taxis that take the same route as buses and charge the same price, because buses are packed full all day err day.

As for the air quality, it is especially bad in Beijing, unfortunately due to the dry air since dust particles float instead of dropping near the ground. As soon as I got off the plane in Beijing, I started coughing non-stop until I left, and my boogers were black (TMI?)! In Shanghai, for example, or other towns, however I didn’t experience the same level of pollution.

13. I haven’t been to China (mainland China? I really don’t know how to state it), but I have been to Hong Kong during my time studying abroad in Japan. The first thing I noticed was the AMAZING amount of nature!! My friends and I had missed it seeing as we were in Tokyo. However, the air quality there seems to be a bit bad. Personally I had no problems, but one of the girls I was with go sick and actually stayed in the hotel one day just to avoid the it. It was only a problem in the main city though, when we went site seeing outside the main city the air was clear.

As far as clothes go…well I’m from the US so you’ll see a lot of interesting clothing choices once the sun comes out. My Japanese friend asked me the other day “why are girls in their underwear out side the library?” (to clarify the girls weren’t in their underwear! Just really short skirts and a revealing tank top.)

14. Your video made me reminisce my adventures while studying abroad in China!! I lived in Beijing for one semester and it definitely provided me with hilarious stories to tell. Did you happen to see babies wearing split pants? They’re a type of pants used for toilet training (I was told that disposable diapers are pricey). These pants are split in the back or around the crotch area which exposes the child’s butt to the world. It’s kind of funny to see babies running around with their butts hanging out, but it was also disturbing because I would sometimes see them poop and urinate right on the side walk.

15. I’m going to Beijing, for (at least) a month this August. Any tips on how to survive? I come from Norway, so the air quality is definitely not the same as in Beijing. I might also stay 5 months in a similar city…

I’ve heard of masks that filter the air (looks like a legit gasmask), and that you can buy air on a can etc.. (do they really do that?)

16. I went to Beijing last year and I had crraaazzzzy experiences with the driving too! There were so many close calls with accidents. I was saved by my teacher who pulled me out of the way of a bus, and was on a tour bus and we ACTUALLY HIT A WOMAN ON A BIKE.

17. guys, now I’m scared! I’m moving to Shanghai in August…is the air as bad in Shanghai? Are there any Shanghai nasties? I don’t wanna be alone in China :P I wish there was an EYK coffee shop opening in Shanghai!

18. I live in Montana USA. Here it’s pretty normal for guys not to wear shirts at say a park or even running down a street a lot of people use for exercise but at the same time no shoes no shirt no service. Depending on what area your in it can be really weird. I had a bonding moment with my manager a few days ago when a shirtless man walked across the parking lot of the restaurant where i work and we were both like wtf.

19. US college student who studied abroad in Beijing for a couple of months here. C:
    I did see a lot of what me and my classmates referred to as the Beijing Bikini, but I usually only saw older men doing it? yeah, not the most pleasant sight… usually in the US, both in my hometown in Idaho and the city where I go to college in Arizona, you only see dudes without shirts at the pool/lake/whatever, or when they’re exercising. I’ve also seen guys in America with their t-shirt almost all the way off and like… hanging around their neck like a cape, haha.

I never had a problem getting a taxi (though for the most part I used the subway; very affordable and you can get pretty much anywhere in the city). I’ve heard that some taxi drivers won’t pick up foreigners, especially if said foreigners don’t speak Mandarin. and the black “cabs” are unlicensed and will charge a LOT more, so stay away from them.

I had a few stares while I was in Beijing, but nothing to the extent of a few of my tall, blond classmates (I’m a short brunette, so I suppose I don’t stick out as much? not sure). it’s worse if you go into the countryside, where many people haven’t seen foreigners before.

the pollution when I was there was pretty bad, but I never got the cough or anything. there were maybe 3 days when I had to wear a mask, the rest I could get by without it. there were also a few days when the sky was clear and blue!

20. Its common to see people with no shirts in the summer here in the UK, especially if you live on the coast. I’ve only seen people shirtless in the cities inland when its SUPERMEGAHORRENDOUSLY hot which is…. not that often in the UK. Also, first time using the new comment section, its great! Much better than the old commenting bit :)

21. I don’t Know about other places in the United States, but being shirtless is very common in Florida especially because it is pretty much 90 degrees year round here. Also at beaches not only will you see some shirtless guys ,but guys in speedos and if you go far enough from the major crowd of people there may be a little party of nude people, even though nudity is illegal on majority of beaches.

22. My dad was in wuhan (is that even how it’s spelled?) but he said that the people there are very pushy and that they like to cut in line. Even if you are pressed up against the counter with your body, a small old women will try and go infront of you. Also my dad went to bejing a year ago maybe and he said that he tried some local food…and well. Idk he said one day he got this purple, squishy eggplant-looking thing and that it wasn’t too plesant.

23. In Lebanon there is that kind of connotation, but not quite the same.. No one will ask you if you’re Russian meaning “are you a prostitute”, but surprisingly I hear “Russian” and “prostitute” together A LOT.. I’m Lebanese but I live it Dubai, so I was totally shocked as well when I heard people talking about “Russian prostitutes” over and over again, it seems that many of the prostitutes in Lebanon are Russian. Why? I have no idea, I never had that kind of impression about Russian women (I still don’t, that’s stupid) but I was surprised when I heard you guys talking about it too.

24. I see some shirtless people in Utah but especially the area I’m in people tend to stay covered. I can say though that while I haven’t been to Korea I had really good luck while I was in Beijing. All 5 days I was there it was just windy enough that there was next to no smog and it wasn’t quite yellow dust season. I always seem to luck out on my travels.

25. The very second that a single ray of sunshine peaks through our gloomy clouds in the UK, guys get their tops off. It can be really chilly and windy but they are out there showing off their beer guts. They need an intervention. A lot of pubs in the Summer have to put up signs saying that they won’t serve people not wearing shirts. We’re a weird nation.

• That is total true. but around where I live I think the guys are aware that no one wants to see the gut so they have one sleeve in and one out (chav’s).

26. Noooo I’m going to Korea in the beginning of July… Just my luck. I’ll be missing out on your coffee shop!

Hahahahahaha you kinda managed to describe China (Beijing) spot on! Driving, rolled up shirts and air. Cigarette smoke is actually the number one smell I associate with China. Actually, air conditioned smoke, like, when you step into a room and it reeks of cigarettes and the AC is on. China is the only place where I’ve encountered that particular kind of air. Was this a weird description? Idk.

I’m actually kind of surprised you mentioned the skyline, because in all the times I’ve stayed in Beijing, I haven’t managed to glimpse a skyline. Because smog. But I do appreciate the spaciousness! Well, when it is spacious. I feel like China is the land of contrasts, like some places will be huge and seem like they never end, and some places are so cramped that you’re amazed that people actually live/work/move around there.

About the taxis, that varies a lot as well. Sometimes you just raise your hand and you have a cab right there, sometimes you wait for half an hour and you have to give up. Sometimes they won’t take you if you’re not going in the direction the want to go. It depends on the place and time. I’ve never taken a black cab, and everyone says you never should. They can scam you so bad, seriously, really, really bad. Never get a black cab.

I’m going back to Beijing in a couple of weeks and I’m really looking forward to it, and everything you talked about… even the driving! :3

27. I would really want to got to China once because they have a really rich tradition and culture but I’m also really afraid to fall sick because of the poor air condition ><

28. Both the Japanese and the Korean exchange students at my college get EXTREMELY uncomfortable when the American guys walk around shirtless. I even had one poor girl duck into my room, embarrassed, when a guy took off his shirt in the hallway. I feel like Americans don’t have that sense of subtle modesty when it’s hot. I was told that instead of taking clothes off in the heat, many Japanese tend to layer it on.

• How do they survive 0.o If it gets above 25 I start walking around in a bikini. (not at work though :p that wouldn’t be decent) ^^

29. 刘翔宇 xiangyu

I have been to beijing twice and I agree with the horrible traffic, it’s like a constant game of frogger! I have been to 6 other parts of china and the air quality is nothing compared to Beijing. I did not have similar problems with the air as you two did but I found it hard to breathe at times. When if is hot, men take off their shirts not only in Beijing did I see this but, also in Guangzhou. I’m sorry you guys felt sick due to the air but besides that I hope your trip to Beijing was fun. Also I have red hair and extremely pale skin. I was stopped on a daily basis by Chinese people who wanted to take my photo or wanted to take a photo with me. Since I speak Chinese they were also amazed with me speaking their language. They stare. A LOT. Although I am use to it now, someone who is not use to it will be creeped out.

30. shirtlessness in my home country…WELL! where do i start? i see it everywhere!! at families houses, random dudes outside…even shopkeepers… and since i’m talking about Bangladesh, well you know…unfortunately some of them being shirtless is cos of them being poor…
    and if not shirtless, they’ll wear a white vest or a thin white top where you’ll see their white vest underneath it…aahaha!!
    also to go with these no top or vest top outfit, guys don’t always wear trousers there but this thing which kinda looks like a long skirt, we call it a lungi (i have no idea how to spell it in English)

now onto my other country, England, i once in a while see guys without tops, except for these teenagers in my neighbourhood that like to go around shirtless and it just looks…gross!! (even when it’s not summer)
    it’d probably be a different story if i lived near the seaside, but i don’t!

31. In Utah we get shirtless joggers all the time. but the most annoying thing about the summer is that is when the wife beaters come out. they are every where! I guess it helps them feel better when its 110 degrees out that’s about 43 ish Celsius.

32. Guys I just wanted to say that your editing is amazing and that I have a lot of fun with the background music for each part of the video. Good job! :3

33. Chinese traffic is SCARY! On the highway, there were 5 lanes but the cars were driving in 7 lanes anyway. Once, our side of the road was full so the taxi driver decided to drive on the lane going the opposite direction. My only thought was “so this is how I’m going to die…”.
    Since I look Chinese, I don’t get any stares but my dad is tall, blue eyed with blond curls. He told me when he went to China 20 years ago, whenever he was standing somewhere outside he was immediately surrounded by a crowd, like 15 people or more. Nowadays, people still stare but it got much better.
    For the air quality, I think Shanghai has the best in China because it’s on the coast and the wind blows a great part of the nasty stuff away. You should definitely go there someday! Just not on windless days…

• oh thank god Shanghai is better, I was really worried just now because I’m moving there in August *phew*

34. I’m originally from a small town in Ohio and once it gets a little warm it seems like all the men decide it’s acceptable not to wear a shirt. Especially if there is a county fair or any kind of social gathering. I just moved to Sacramento CA and I feel like even though it’s hotter, men keep their shirts on, which I appreciate.

35. I have seen the rolled up shirt and belly slapping here in the US. I’m in Portland, Oregon and occasionally in a predominately Chinese neighborhood, you will see older Chinese men doing that. I always thought it was a bit strange, but never thought too much about it.

36. Live in the netherlands and of the temperature Rises loods of People walk a rond shirtless. Some Just at home button otters don’t care and go grocerie shopping like That. And a lot of summsr festivals arena notorius for literally getting your shirt ripped off you

37. I live in Kansas and since it’s miles away from any beach there isn’t a lot of shirtless men. Of course if you’re heading to a pool it’s expected to see shirtless men. Once in a while there will be some young guy running without a shirt on. No one really stares or says anything, it’s not a big deal.

38. Even though you would think there would be a lot more shirtless people in Florida, I really don’t see all that many, unless you are right on the beach. Oddly, the only people who go around shirtless in my area are the ones who really *shouldn’t*…

39. I’m from the US, but I studied abroad in China (Beijing and Kunming) in college. I surprisingly felt almost no adverse side effects from the pollution, but I’m from a city so…?

As to the black cabs, as far as I know, they aren’t licensed. We were given a safety briefing when we first arrived and were strongly advised not to take these cars based on the fact that there have been deaths and rapes associated with them. I don’t know how truthful these claims were, but they were more than enough to discourage me from taking them. Unfortunately two of my friends took a black cab by accident from the airport which charged them more than double the fare of the one that I took.

Also getting a cab in China is more difficult than other countries/cities that I have been to. Speaking Chinese was really helpful for persuading a cabbie to take me somewhere.

One last thing… Topless people in the US are everywhere.

40. I live in England, London and you do see guys shirtless only when its really hot. however if its a chav they don’t take there shirt off but have on arm in and one arm out (I swear they look like like kids who don’t want to get change). About the driving it really good in London there’s like speed cameras every where and there loads of traffic lights and zebra crossings. I have been to India and I have to say that the traffic is terrible there are barely any traffic lights and people dive how they want. also my parents are from Bangladesh so when we go the traffic is real bad, I wouldn’t say that it is as bad as India, but you get people driving trucks and cars on there wrong sides of the lanes. Once we where driving back to the city and there was a long long traffic jam, we where on a curved road so you could see that there was like a mile long line of cars, so the person who was driving instead of waiting for the traffic to go instead drove on the side of the road, which was a river bank, it felt like the whole car was going to tip over.