Cute Korean Lunch Boxes

October 20, 2011

Comments

When we were little kids and went to kindergarten, we had lunch boxes. They were HUGE though. Huge. Big enough to fit in a sandwich, a thermos (though we never used the thermos for soup), juice boxes, snacks, everything. They were big, bulky things, and they always had some awesome sticker on them for branding that would make them awesome. They’d all be the same shape, but the sticker and colour would make it so much more special. Ooh! Timmy’s got a Transformers Lunch Box. Khal Drogo has a Power Ranger lunch box! Suzy’s got a stupid My Pet Pony lunchbox, or something. They were awesome, and, come to think of it, we really miss them now! We could totally use them when we go to the coffeeshops to edit for hours.

Korea also has lunch boxes, and we’re reviewing them today, but they’re a lot smaller. You could probably fit three or four Korean/Japanese/Asian lunch boxes into one North American one. But that’s probably because these Korean lunch boxes are a lot more efficient with their space. A LOT MORE. But the meals are also a lot smaller. A LOT. Maybe – and this could be a hunch – that’s why Korean kids are a lot slimmer than North American kids?

OooOooh…I feel a rant coming on.

So, you know, that last idea brings us kinda to a point that we want to make. We just flew in to Toronto yesterday on a whim. We’re visiting Canada now for three weeks, and we didn’t announce it to anyone because we wanted to surprise the hell out of our families – who had no clue about our visit. We made videos of their surprises and you’ll see it soon! Anyhow, in our jet lagged state, after waking up at 4AM today and going to a 24 hour diner for a CHEAP $5.00 greasy breakfast (man Korea really needs some of those!) we decided to walk through a Shopper’s Drug Mart, which is like a pharmacy/general stuff store.

We walked up and down the aisles and even though we were like “OH MY GOD THERE’S SO MUCH STUFF WE MISSED!” we’re also a bit appalled at how much junk there is to eat here. And the portions are HUGE. HUUUUUGE. Over in the soda section, we saw freaking huge cans of everything, including Red Bull. Soda in Korea is sold in the slim size half can, or you can buy a small plastic bottle (of course they have 2L ones as well). And the bags of chips – even though we were really craving Doritos – shocked us at how massive they are. Seriously! The bags here are so big compared to South Korean chip bags. And the aisles are towering, massive columns of far too much selection. Martina went to the shampoo section and just starred with a dropped jaw trying to figure out where to begin. She couldn’t even reach the top shelf, it was a massive tower of stuff. BTW, what’s up with shampoo for “Long Hair”? I get shampoo for “Damaged” or “Curly” or “Smooth” but “Long Hair?” WTF DOES THAT DO!!?? We felt tiny and overwhelmed by stuff, and – this may be the jet lag talking- we felt just culture shocked.

Ah! That was a long rambling way of just saying that North American kids have huge lunch boxes, while South Korean kids don’t. South Korean kids are also a lot slimmer than North American kids. And, lastly, North American junk food portions are a lot bigger than South Korean junk food portions. There! And, the most important point of this ramble is this: South Korean lunch boxes are sooOOOoooOOo much cuter! Man, ran out of steam to talk about lunch boxed due to the ramble…and the jet lag.

Anyhow, enough of that. It’s time for our Wonderful Treasure Find Care Package Giveaway! Woohoo! This month we’re giving away the Massage Balls, the High Heel Foot Pain Fixers, the Couple Charms, and now this lunchbox. Woot! To win the care package, you have to be a Subscriber of our YouTube channel, and you have to answer this skill testing question:

If you had this cute Happy Togerder lunch box, what would be the ?

We’ll pick our favourite answer next week, and mail out your loot. Woot! Just a note, though: we won’t be able to mail out your package for a while, until we get back to Korea on November 6th. Yay! On a side note: anything you’d like to see us do while we’re in Toronto? We have a couple of exciting video ideas planned, including a Canadian kpop survey special, and a special edition WTF Canada (involving Canadians figuring out WTF Korean stuff…weeee!!!!) but if you’ve got any other suggestions we’re open to hearing them. Yeah! Jet lag sucks!!!! *Martina and Simon fall asleep on the ground*

And on that note, here are this week’s Bloopers:

Comments

WTF

Cute Korean Lunch Boxes

1. I would *honor* the (too cute for words) lunchbox with peppered tuna sashimi and lotus chips.
    ***Full disclaimer – this would be prepared by my local sushi-lady…who is, in fact, Korean…and she makes fun of my attempts at Hangul in a loving way. We could BOND over this box. ♥☮

2. Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans. CAUSE IT’S ALL THE BEST (and worst) OM NOMS IN THE WORLD WILL BE ABLE TO BE IN MY MINI BOX :D

3. Since I’m french, I would put cheese, bread and wine into this cute little bento box! That’s all, french only eats bread and cheese.
    (And yes, we also laugh this way : “HOHOHOHO”)

Hope you like it, first time I try to win WTF care package because my english is not really good..
    Thanks for all your videos and have a good time in Canada ^-^

4. I would, naturally, only put foods in that are happy togerder, like bacon and eggs (with salt and pepper), or macaroni and cheese, or PB&J.  Peanut butter and Jelly are very happy togerder.  And! Since it is such a super cute little lunch box, one would have to use the super cute Pooh bear sandwich presses to make said sandwiches.

5. I would put………FOCCACIA FOCCACIA!!! Its so derishous!!!!
    and…..a GIANT CARTON OF MILK!!!! (Yes. It will fit. I think those lunch boxes are like the tardis they are bigger on the inside)

(PS-youtube subscriber gigiowls89)

6. OK… NOW  I KWON WHY KOREAN GIRLS ARE SOOOO SKINYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , THEIR  LUNCH BOXES ARE TO SMALL.. I CAN EAT LIKE 4 FOR MY LUNCH…:P

7. I would make miniature kimbap and miniature geranmari to put in the miniature bento box. And then I would tactfully pack a real meal into a real lunchbox that would actually carry enough food for me to get through my workday.

8. I would put in some yummy kimpap!!!! what can I say, I love the stuff… I’d fill the whole thing with kimpap and forgo the utensils. Too bad it doesn’t have cute mini chopsticks.

9. Have you been to the Cheesecake Factory?  Whenever my family drives down to the US, I can’t even finish HALF of anything there, it’s so ginormous.

10. I would make a little bear out of rice for the lunch box.  Then there would be 2 bears.  That way the bear on the box and the bear made of rice would be Happy Togerder!

11. Happy Togerder lunch box would obviously only hold peasants, as this is the only lunch box used by TROGDOR. (It wasn’t mixed up English for “together” but Engrish for “Happy Trogdor”)

12. I would be packing it with grape flavored wax mustaches. They only come out here in October around Halloween and I L<3VE them =P My favorite is Mr. Stache on his package it says- The chewable disguise! Play now, chew later!!! lol

13. I have a lunch box with Hello Kitty but it doesn’t look like japanese bento boxes. I think my is European style and I’m like Martina always wanna bento box (but my with Hello Kitty and it so so so CUTE! >< khm… ^^)
    anyway if I had this bento box I made a pease of food art ^^ I love cooking so maybe there can be rice(of course ^^) fried chicken or fried squid with delicious tomato sause, then some vegetables maybe carrots(in cute form ^^) and small pancakes with squash(this pancakes – a russian dish and it's YUMMY! ^^)! Oh and I almost forgot – I put sausages that look like cute octopus! ^^If I some day get to myself a bento box it will be the first meal that I do ^^

14. I would definitely put in pb&j cut with my Hello Kitty sandwich shaper. cuz pbj goes best togerder!

15. id pack http://data.whicdn.com/images/4311932/tumblr_la0h62Gi011qatxgno1_500_large.jpg?1286746649  into it. LOTS OF HARD WORK. thats what id be packing!

16. I would probably put onigiri, cute little sausages, a small salad, cherries, and maybe some gyozas. :) When I was in Japan, I got to experience a bento box made by my Japanese host mother, it was very delicious! She made it for me when I went off to school, and it was really sweet of her. The guys lunch boxes were a bit bigger, so they could store more food, so don’t worry Simon! xD You can still bring a cool-looking bento box that stores a lot of food! :P

17. I would put chicken or tuna salad in one side and some grape tomatoes (those go in the divided section) and then sesame crackers in the other part. Yum! Then I could use my mini fork and spoon to eat them all (say it with me now) Togerder!

18. I would put fruit lots for fruit because I love fruit. But you could also use it for other things. Like since it already has a fork and a spoon you could fill it with other camping supplies like a flint and stone, or a mini flashlight that goes on key-chains, and you could put some band aids in there and like a mini mini tiny tiny bottle of rubbing alcohol, oh and a pocket knife too… so it could be your mini travel along survival kit ;)

19. Korean Lunch Box = 도시락 (Do-Shi-Rug)

20. I would pack my bento lunch box with rainbows and unicorns, which I would then eat to give me man strength.

21. Ali

Yay Toronto!! :)

I would put  in homemade sushi, or two half folded sandwiches filled with nutella or
    rice. chicken or the side food to add with the rice or fruits or snacks
    like chocolate or candy in the other compartment :D

22. I would put Sushi!! I love sushi i would also put some ramen but just the noodles mmmm….. that is so yummy well that’s my answer!!!!

23. I would put Pizza Bagels in the box…. You could have… “Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time. Cause when you have pizza on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime!”
    Seriously though, the most delicious snack ever. My mom would buy the box and my brothers and I would devour them in one sitting. It’s been a long time since I had Pizza Bagels – Paris Baguette pizza bagel don’t cut it – who wants sweet sauce and corn on a pizza?? Anyhoo, Pizza Bagels would be awesome before there are small and slim and you could fit them in both parts of the box AND you wouldn’t need a semi-useless fork to eat them. No chopstick either. USE YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! IT’S PIZZA!!!! ….

24. http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/s/a/n/sandeepr2324792.jpg
    its tiny and cute, why not? if i wasn’t gonna eat it i would totally wanna be togerder forever with it <3 baby spudgy perhaps?

25. I’ve always wanted those bento boxes too! I only found them a couple years ago at a Daiso in Richmond, B.C. Of course, it would be common sense to check there first, the Asia of B.C. *sigh* They don’t fit a whole lot of food though… which is a good thing, because I tend to overpack lunches >.<

26. Bentos are all about having a healthy balanced meal.   Traditional Japanese bentos contain 4 parts of rice , 3 parts of the main dish ( THE MEAT), 2
    parts of vegetables, and 1 part of a serving of pickled vegetables or a treat.

I don’t really follow this though ^^

I like to make my bento by having either Lo Mein or  Onigiri with chicken, a salad and some fruit.

It would seem that this wouldn’t be filling but it really is! I eat a lot and my bento is a medium sized bento. It really does hold a lot of food.

Hope you are having a good time in Canada!

27. Oh my gosh I love those things so much!!! ^o^
    Top section: Mango bunnies (cut like the apple ones, but mango tastes better!), then cherry blossom shaped cucumbers, and two cute Hello Kitty muffin tins, one filled with sweet black beans, the other with kimchi!
    Bottom section: half full with rice, sprinkled with seasonings to make the Rilakkuma face and then two potato croquettes, on shaped like a star, the other like a heart(these would be stacked on top of each other)! Then the leftover space I would fill with myeochi bokeum because it’s amazing!!
    Wow. . . it’s a little crowded!
    Also, I looked it up and Korean bento are called doshirak 도시락!

28. ^^ Bento boxes! I love those. I actually try to make bentos but they’re very time consuming and I don’t have a lot of the tools for it. And Simon, they do hold a lot. I have one with a side cart and if I fill it, I can’t move afterward.  And I have a German-granddaughter-of-a-blacksmith’s appitite, so that’s saying something. Their size is very deceiving. But mine’s getting worn down since I’ve had it for a few years. Hmm, as for contents, I would put in heart-shaped tamagoyaki (fried rolled egg, the heart trick is very easy and cute), with mini teriyaki tuna burgers, garlicky carrot flowers (I have a cutter shaped like cherry blossoms that I love) and of course rice. I think I would put criss-crossy star designs on the rice with seaweed and salmon furikake (dried rice seasoning) and maybe make it with peas. If the bento was a different design, I’d probably make some cute samgak kimbap in the shape of pandas…Sorry for the long post, I love bentos! =^_^= I also like the other things u guys are giving…O.O

29. A bento box (Japanese term), made in South Korea, carrying Chinese food= heaven.

30. I would make those cute lunch boxes that a girl would make for her boyfriend, except I will eat it for myself! Moohahahaha. I would make a panda onigiri and put it inside the lunch box and decorate. I’ll also put tamago, yellow radish, and seaweed salad. Yes, they can all fit if I make the panda onigiri small :D! WOOT!

31. There’s a bear on the cover on the adorable lunch box. And if we reason based on your theory that they (the bears) are trying to take over the world/convince children they aren’t dangerous so they can devour them, I would put bear meat (marinated and cooked of course) in the lunch box. And I would use food stamps on the bear meat as well. I would do this just to spite the bears as they try to rebrand themselves as friendly before the impending bear invasion attack.

32. I always made themes with my lunchbox, so if it’s going to be Happy Togerder, then you make food that goes “togerder”!

Like peanut butter & jelly/nutella & banana/ham & cheese sandwiches (crustless of course), grilled cheese and soup (might need a thermos for the latter), mini bagels with cream cheese…

Chicken nuggets and RANCH (sorry, I know Simon might this too much) or fruits/veggies with dipping sauce like caramel or RANCH (last plug for Simon ever!).

33. Kento Boxes! I’ve always loved them!
    I would put spaghetti in the Kento box as a lunch because then you have use for the useful fork! (Or use a spoon if you’d like…? Just imagine the other Koreans watching you eat using that small spoon with spaghetti.) Yes, spaghetti is definitely the most appropriate food to put in that lunch box.
    Simon and Martina are the best! ^^

34. maybe a bread shaped like seungri, ooor like the harmless eagle, for JYJ not to punch it in the eye

35. Oh man I’m starving right now so this is the question for me!! Haha. But the real question is what wouldn’t I put in there? ;) No, but seriously I would pack a chicken salad sandwich and Spicy Nacho Cheese Doritos…yeah! Oh and a nice cold can of Mtn. Dew on the side hahahaha that is what I am talking about!!

36. pickles. I would fill it with pickles.

37. I’m going to put something like thishttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E7bpG20MIpc/TgDuphXV1dI/AAAAAAAAAsc/IKX0chyR-_w/s640/260340_216962255010509_100000902086447_671072_3596324_n.jpg with G Dragon’s face and of course I’m going to put my little sushis… kekeke  ;D

38. Wow Martina, I love your hair in this video!  I don’t know if this is cheating, but if I had a lunch box like that I would want to put an animal or a design in it too, like this Totoro one: http://jaggedeye.tumblr.com/post/6847895917 I would at first be hesitant about eating him, but remember I can make another and bring him back to life!  Til I eat it again :p

39. I love Bento Boxes !! So adorable. For here in Korea, Id totally pack the box like so;

Top Layer: 3/4 of the box with rice on the bottom and a small sized pork cutlet on top. in the other 1/4 space a tiny bottle of a dipping sauce or soy sauce to go over the pork. Id also add some mini carrots for munching.

Bottom layer: using the slider, 3/4 for a yummie mixed fruit salad and 1/4 for lil sweet mini breads

If I was back in the states;

Top layer: mini corn dogs, carrot and celery sticks and mini Doritos, adding tiny bottles of ketchup and ranch for dipping.

Bottom layer: 3/4 CHOCO pudding and 1/4 mini vanilla wafers.

Yum Yum !!