Cute Korean Lunch Boxes

October 20, 2011

Comments

When we were little kids and went to kindergarten, we had lunch boxes. They were HUGE though. Huge. Big enough to fit in a sandwich, a thermos (though we never used the thermos for soup), juice boxes, snacks, everything. They were big, bulky things, and they always had some awesome sticker on them for branding that would make them awesome. They’d all be the same shape, but the sticker and colour would make it so much more special. Ooh! Timmy’s got a Transformers Lunch Box. Khal Drogo has a Power Ranger lunch box! Suzy’s got a stupid My Pet Pony lunchbox, or something. They were awesome, and, come to think of it, we really miss them now! We could totally use them when we go to the coffeeshops to edit for hours.

Korea also has lunch boxes, and we’re reviewing them today, but they’re a lot smaller. You could probably fit three or four Korean/Japanese/Asian lunch boxes into one North American one. But that’s probably because these Korean lunch boxes are a lot more efficient with their space. A LOT MORE. But the meals are also a lot smaller. A LOT. Maybe – and this could be a hunch – that’s why Korean kids are a lot slimmer than North American kids?

OooOooh…I feel a rant coming on.

So, you know, that last idea brings us kinda to a point that we want to make. We just flew in to Toronto yesterday on a whim. We’re visiting Canada now for three weeks, and we didn’t announce it to anyone because we wanted to surprise the hell out of our families – who had no clue about our visit. We made videos of their surprises and you’ll see it soon! Anyhow, in our jet lagged state, after waking up at 4AM today and going to a 24 hour diner for a CHEAP $5.00 greasy breakfast (man Korea really needs some of those!) we decided to walk through a Shopper’s Drug Mart, which is like a pharmacy/general stuff store.

We walked up and down the aisles and even though we were like “OH MY GOD THERE’S SO MUCH STUFF WE MISSED!” we’re also a bit appalled at how much junk there is to eat here. And the portions are HUGE. HUUUUUGE. Over in the soda section, we saw freaking huge cans of everything, including Red Bull. Soda in Korea is sold in the slim size half can, or you can buy a small plastic bottle (of course they have 2L ones as well). And the bags of chips – even though we were really craving Doritos – shocked us at how massive they are. Seriously! The bags here are so big compared to South Korean chip bags. And the aisles are towering, massive columns of far too much selection. Martina went to the shampoo section and just starred with a dropped jaw trying to figure out where to begin. She couldn’t even reach the top shelf, it was a massive tower of stuff. BTW, what’s up with shampoo for “Long Hair”? I get shampoo for “Damaged” or “Curly” or “Smooth” but “Long Hair?” WTF DOES THAT DO!!?? We felt tiny and overwhelmed by stuff, and – this may be the jet lag talking- we felt just culture shocked.

Ah! That was a long rambling way of just saying that North American kids have huge lunch boxes, while South Korean kids don’t. South Korean kids are also a lot slimmer than North American kids. And, lastly, North American junk food portions are a lot bigger than South Korean junk food portions. There! And, the most important point of this ramble is this: South Korean lunch boxes are sooOOOoooOOo much cuter! Man, ran out of steam to talk about lunch boxed due to the ramble…and the jet lag.

Anyhow, enough of that. It’s time for our Wonderful Treasure Find Care Package Giveaway! Woohoo! This month we’re giving away the Massage Balls, the High Heel Foot Pain Fixers, the Couple Charms, and now this lunchbox. Woot! To win the care package, you have to be a Subscriber of our YouTube channel, and you have to answer this skill testing question:

If you had this cute Happy Togerder lunch box, what would be the ?

We’ll pick our favourite answer next week, and mail out your loot. Woot! Just a note, though: we won’t be able to mail out your package for a while, until we get back to Korea on November 6th. Yay! On a side note: anything you’d like to see us do while we’re in Toronto? We have a couple of exciting video ideas planned, including a Canadian kpop survey special, and a special edition WTF Canada (involving Canadians figuring out WTF Korean stuff…weeee!!!!) but if you’ve got any other suggestions we’re open to hearing them. Yeah! Jet lag sucks!!!! *Martina and Simon fall asleep on the ground*

And on that note, here are this week’s Bloopers:

Comments

WTF

Cute Korean Lunch Boxes

1. Oh, I remember the time I would carry those around when I would go on a field trip in kindergarten… :)
    haha, Martina- WINN.

2. So I would definitely bring this to school and make all the other dudes super jealous!! In my dosirak (which is what google told me they are called) would be probably some rice and probably some cute design made of like seaweed or something on top. Everyone would be like WOW! You are so cultured, but in the bottom one i would have like a B.L.T or something with bacon(or canadian ham) just cause it’s awesome and eat it in secret. Yea….it would be an awesome lunch…

3. it looks like there are two levels, if this is the case then I would put little tiny vegan cupcakes in the top and the other level I would put frosting, and sprinkles (divided by that divider) and then I could decorate my own cupcakes at school and make all the other people jealous.

4. I would put the spiky balls in and if someone tried to attack me I’d pull them out like “WHACHAAAA!” and attack them back ^^

5. I just learned how to make kimchi so I’d fill the bottom part with that (cause kimchi rocks my socks) and I’d put something unhealthy in the top to counteract the kimchi goodness…brownies? cookie dough? maybe some sour patch kids…

6. I had those when I was in college..hehehe. I had rice on the bottom tray, steamed veges on the top tray & sliced kalbi next to those veges. Mmm..& for dessert a Jello-O pudding cup or a RV cupcake that I’d purchase from Trader Joe’s..yum!!! But I had to watch out for my bento cuz I would be put it in the school refrigerator & it would somehow get stolen…:(. Yea I went through a lot of bentos in school.

7. http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llav7qZES81qa7ykzo1_400.jpg

NOAH’S ARK :) Yes.. domo’s do exist..

8. Well let’s see! On the bottom, since it has a food seperater thingy, I would put GUMMY BEAAAARSS in the smaller slot and rices in the bigger one :] And on the TOP I would put mashed potatoes with peas in the outlining of a heart and colorful sprinkles in the outside of the heart. And then I’d eat the inside of the heart first and then  it would still be a heart :’) Until I’d eat it all.

9. isnt it nice to have the second box is full of chicken/fish nuggets from costco and the first box contains ur favorite sauces like ranch and bbq sauce?
    i do that everytime :)

10. I would put cute little pink food like Mike & Ikes, Laffy Taffy, and then some salmon type of sushi! Yum!!!

11. I would put small little cut up meat, sandwich, eggs, some carrots. COOKIES or BROWNIES!!!! mmmmmmmm :D :D :D. But Most Of All I will Put Meat that’s cut up and probably some mashed potatoes and carrots as side dish!!!!! :)

12. If i had one of the lunch boxes i think i would put in like a bunch of little sushi things! Or maybe stuff like Jan Di put in hers when she made Jun Pyu one in BoF!! I know it isnt the same size but it reminds me of it :3

13. A bento box (Japanese term), made in South Korea, carrying Chinese food= heaven.

14. I would make those cute lunch boxes that a girl would make for her boyfriend, except I will eat it for myself! Moohahahaha. I would make a panda onigiri and put it inside the lunch box and decorate. I’ll also put tamago, yellow radish, and seaweed salad. Yes, they can all fit if I make the panda onigiri small :D! WOOT!

15. There’s a bear on the cover on the adorable lunch box. And if we reason based on your theory that they (the bears) are trying to take over the world/convince children they aren’t dangerous so they can devour them, I would put bear meat (marinated and cooked of course) in the lunch box. And I would use food stamps on the bear meat as well. I would do this just to spite the bears as they try to rebrand themselves as friendly before the impending bear invasion attack.

16. Kento Boxes! I’ve always loved them!
    I would put spaghetti in the Kento box as a lunch because then you have use for the useful fork! (Or use a spoon if you’d like…? Just imagine the other Koreans watching you eat using that small spoon with spaghetti.) Yes, spaghetti is definitely the most appropriate food to put in that lunch box.
    Simon and Martina are the best! ^^

17. I always made themes with my lunchbox, so if it’s going to be Happy Togerder, then you make food that goes “togerder”!

Like peanut butter & jelly/nutella & banana/ham & cheese sandwiches (crustless of course), grilled cheese and soup (might need a thermos for the latter), mini bagels with cream cheese…

Chicken nuggets and RANCH (sorry, I know Simon might this too much) or fruits/veggies with dipping sauce like caramel or RANCH (last plug for Simon ever!).

18. ^^ Bento boxes! I love those. I actually try to make bentos but they’re very time consuming and I don’t have a lot of the tools for it. And Simon, they do hold a lot. I have one with a side cart and if I fill it, I can’t move afterward.  And I have a German-granddaughter-of-a-blacksmith’s appitite, so that’s saying something. Their size is very deceiving. But mine’s getting worn down since I’ve had it for a few years. Hmm, as for contents, I would put in heart-shaped tamagoyaki (fried rolled egg, the heart trick is very easy and cute), with mini teriyaki tuna burgers, garlicky carrot flowers (I have a cutter shaped like cherry blossoms that I love) and of course rice. I think I would put criss-crossy star designs on the rice with seaweed and salmon furikake (dried rice seasoning) and maybe make it with peas. If the bento was a different design, I’d probably make some cute samgak kimbap in the shape of pandas…Sorry for the long post, I love bentos! =^_^= I also like the other things u guys are giving…O.O

19. Oh my gosh I love those things so much!!! ^o^
    Top section: Mango bunnies (cut like the apple ones, but mango tastes better!), then cherry blossom shaped cucumbers, and two cute Hello Kitty muffin tins, one filled with sweet black beans, the other with kimchi!
    Bottom section: half full with rice, sprinkled with seasonings to make the Rilakkuma face and then two potato croquettes, on shaped like a star, the other like a heart(these would be stacked on top of each other)! Then the leftover space I would fill with myeochi bokeum because it’s amazing!!
    Wow. . . it’s a little crowded!
    Also, I looked it up and Korean bento are called doshirak 도시락!

20. I would put Sushi!! I love sushi i would also put some ramen but just the noodles mmmm….. that is so yummy well that’s my answer!!!!

21. Ali

Yay Toronto!! :)

I would put  in homemade sushi, or two half folded sandwiches filled with nutella or
    rice. chicken or the side food to add with the rice or fruits or snacks
    like chocolate or candy in the other compartment :D

22. I would put Pizza Bagels in the box…. You could have… “Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time. Cause when you have pizza on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime!”
    Seriously though, the most delicious snack ever. My mom would buy the box and my brothers and I would devour them in one sitting. It’s been a long time since I had Pizza Bagels – Paris Baguette pizza bagel don’t cut it – who wants sweet sauce and corn on a pizza?? Anyhoo, Pizza Bagels would be awesome before there are small and slim and you could fit them in both parts of the box AND you wouldn’t need a semi-useless fork to eat them. No chopstick either. USE YOUR HANDS PEOPLE! IT’S PIZZA!!!! ….

23. http://www.flixya.com/files-photo/s/a/n/sandeepr2324792.jpg
    its tiny and cute, why not? if i wasn’t gonna eat it i would totally wanna be togerder forever with it <3 baby spudgy perhaps?

24. Bentos are all about having a healthy balanced meal.   Traditional Japanese bentos contain 4 parts of rice , 3 parts of the main dish ( THE MEAT), 2
    parts of vegetables, and 1 part of a serving of pickled vegetables or a treat.

I don’t really follow this though ^^

I like to make my bento by having either Lo Mein or  Onigiri with chicken, a salad and some fruit.

It would seem that this wouldn’t be filling but it really is! I eat a lot and my bento is a medium sized bento. It really does hold a lot of food.

Hope you are having a good time in Canada!

25. I’ve always wanted those bento boxes too! I only found them a couple years ago at a Daiso in Richmond, B.C. Of course, it would be common sense to check there first, the Asia of B.C. *sigh* They don’t fit a whole lot of food though… which is a good thing, because I tend to overpack lunches >.<

26. maybe a bread shaped like seungri, ooor like the harmless eagle, for JYJ not to punch it in the eye

27. Oh man I’m starving right now so this is the question for me!! Haha. But the real question is what wouldn’t I put in there? ;) No, but seriously I would pack a chicken salad sandwich and Spicy Nacho Cheese Doritos…yeah! Oh and a nice cold can of Mtn. Dew on the side hahahaha that is what I am talking about!!

28. I would maybe put something like gummy bears!!!. I also thought of a pack of cookies but its so small that it would probably just carry like 100 calorie cookie bag or something that small. Or maybe both :D

29. Milk and cereal separately, so I can have cereal at school!!! buahahaha…. if the milk doesn’t spill out…or turns warm…*sigh*(I feel like an idiot…)

30. kimbap is the perfect lunch for that cute little lunch box ^^

31. nothing counteracts the cutenss of that box more than a little bit of nakji. Live squid for lunch? Amazing WTF package this month.. ::In martina’s cute voice:: I want it…..

32. i would make sushi tht looks like spudgy @ o @

33. If i had a happy togerder box i, as a healthy, delicious, rice lover would put rice that has spicy chili sauce all over it in the bottom. then in half of the the top half i would put my proteins: tofu or chickens or peanut butters. and in the other half of the top half i would put in some vegetable of of some sort. but i don’t like very many vegetables so, i would just put in some onions or something. then i would wrap it up with a cute little bow to make it even cuter. otherwise i would just put my stash of halloween candy in it.
    the end

34. I KNOW WHAT I’D PUT. First, I’d put little onigiri rice balls in there with seaweed panda face cause those are so cute. And i’d put in those “octopus” sausage, where it’s half a small sausage and slice the bottom half to make it have tentacles. Sounds creepy but it’s cute. Also eggs and sushi and Hello Pandas for a snack. :3

35. I love my bento box!!!!! I got one at Pacific Mall  >.<

What I would put in my bento box or "kento" box

1. octopus veggie dogs ( i'm a rabbit, no meat in my diet)

2. The most amazing thing in the world TOTORO!!!!! here a link, this is beyond cuteness

( this is what it looks like) http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2008/10/totoro-bento-box.html

or http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuteobento/1587201830/

or http://djdesignerlab.com/2010/10/06/20-creative-and-interesting-bento-box-art/

3. I would go all Hana Yori Dango (J-version) on my bento, and make it "manly"  ( i like to eat a lot T~T) and have a three store bento with lunch (grilled cheese)  dinner ( inari, sweet potato tempura, and avocado rolls)  and desert ( macaroons and mini cheese cakes)

—– I'm sorry I couldn't just choose one

36. pickles. I would fill it with pickles.

37. I’m going to put something like thishttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E7bpG20MIpc/TgDuphXV1dI/AAAAAAAAAsc/IKX0chyR-_w/s640/260340_216962255010509_100000902086447_671072_3596324_n.jpg with G Dragon’s face and of course I’m going to put my little sushis… kekeke  ;D

38. Wow Martina, I love your hair in this video!  I don’t know if this is cheating, but if I had a lunch box like that I would want to put an animal or a design in it too, like this Totoro one: http://jaggedeye.tumblr.com/post/6847895917 I would at first be hesitant about eating him, but remember I can make another and bring him back to life!  Til I eat it again :p

39. I love Bento Boxes !! So adorable. For here in Korea, Id totally pack the box like so;

Top Layer: 3/4 of the box with rice on the bottom and a small sized pork cutlet on top. in the other 1/4 space a tiny bottle of a dipping sauce or soy sauce to go over the pork. Id also add some mini carrots for munching.

Bottom layer: using the slider, 3/4 for a yummie mixed fruit salad and 1/4 for lil sweet mini breads

If I was back in the states;

Top layer: mini corn dogs, carrot and celery sticks and mini Doritos, adding tiny bottles of ketchup and ranch for dipping.

Bottom layer: 3/4 CHOCO pudding and 1/4 mini vanilla wafers.

Yum Yum !!