The 2013 Eatyourkimchi Awards!

December 24, 2013

Comments

Hi guise!

Allow us to present to you our second annual Eatyourkimchi Awards, which honours the best of Kpop for 2013, and whose winners are determined solely by you, the audience. We know award shows oftentimes are vague in how they select their winners, but, with us, you can see the results as the votes pour in. We, then, take the list of winners, and do our best to talk about their achievements as awkwardly as possible. Great success! The voting results were hidden for a while after the voting closed, but you can check them now to see all of the nominees and all of the categories. Woot!

We’ve divided up the video into two parts, because the whole thing was almost 20 minutes long. 20 Freaking Minutes! That’s too long for one person to sit through on this thing called the internets, so we cut it in half. We put it all in a playlist, which you should be able to watch above. If not, you can at least see part 1 up there. Here’s part 2:

Very big thanks to Eric Nam, Brad, Geeks, N.O.M., Vixx, and Boyfriend. They were all awesome, and had a great sense of humour about them. This is the kind of stuff we’d love to do with Kpop. We want to be silly with the bands, we want to play around and do funny stuff. Hopefully next year we could keep on doing stuff like this, and run after boy bands telling them we want to lick their butts.

Let us know what you think! I know that online voting is a double edged sword. It’s good that you can determine the winner of the awards clearly, while other award shows “factor” in your participation in some obscure unclear way, but it also means that a fanswarm can heavily sway the votes, as we saw with the first time we opened our KpopCharts system to determine the winners of How to Dance Kpop Style 2011, in which Big Bang won dance of the year for a video…that didn’t have a dance.

With these awards, though, it seems like people’s choices were pretty fair, and though we might have voted for different winners here and there, I don’t think the results are really arguable as terribly unfair. Let us know if you feel differently. I definitely would have voted N.O.M.’s “A Guys” as Nastiest video of the year, IMO.

But, on a more serious note: the video that made us laugh the most out of this whole event was the Bloopers. HA! We had some small mental meltdowns. Why? Because that day that we were filming, when we had to get everything recorded before we went to Canada, we had two urgent unavoidable meetings scheduled, out of the blue, on that day. Each of them taking up two hours. That’s four hours of daylight lost! So we were a bit woozy at the end, as you might have seen with the skating scene. But we managed to finish filming before the sun rose, and then scuttled back home to get packing. But not without getting a load of great bloopers, which we hope you’ll like as much as we do:

On that note, if you liked these videos and haven’t subscribed to our channel yet, make sure you do so by clicking on this button here. Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

Comments

Special Features

The 2013 Eatyourkimchi Awards!

1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!
    Wonderful, start to finish! I just loved the videos, thank you for making them so awesome :D
    I’m so happy that Eric Nam won Best Rookie, your interview was what made me like him so much and now this skit just solidified it. I loved how Eric always called Brad “Busker Busker Brad” :D
    It’s cool that Geeks came to the studio too, I didn’t expect that!
    Doom Dada basically got a mini-review which is cool as well because tbh I didn’t realize how thought out that video was! And Martina should win some award too, for being able to speak so fast with a lisp and still be understandable.
    And oh, the Nastiest Video… I voted for N.O.M like every day and thought that if they would win, they’d have possibly shown up for a skit because they promoted the EYKAs on their Facebook page AND OMG IT HAPPENED even though they didn’t win :D And the skit was pure gold, SooZee’s part was my favorite. She really enjoyed it, didn’t she? ;] N.O.M, ooooh you so nasty!
    Boyfriend were one of those artists that I took into account when I wondered who would possibly make an acceptance speech video and I’m happy to see that I was right :) I’m pretty sure Minwoo won’t be too upset about that misspelling but I have to say that after seeing all these guest appearances, for a moment I was dumbfounded and thought “How in the world did they get Minho to appear in this?” lol. I hope one day your schedules will finally align. Starship artists seem so EYK-friendly.
    Wow, Mordney got some winter attire. And yay for VIXX’s acceptance video! They’ve really mastered the dark concept so I’m glad they won. Question I wonder if Mordney can understand Ravi’s intros? It seems to me that the two can find a common language, huh?
    Growl won Best Dance, yay!
    Too bad f(x) are from SM…
    “Sausage fests are great!”>>>>SooZee with N.O.M LOLOLOLOL
    Eric Nam impersonation, I can’t stop laughing!

Thank you guys!

P.S. Pretty baby… pretty baby girls.

• have you watched after school club yet?? he’s soo funny on there

• I’ve watched a few episodes but sometimes I had to skip the hangouts because secondhand embarassment was too damn high.

2. I can’t believe N.O.M was there! I learned about them a few months back and thought they had an interesting concept. I took a chance submitting the video after it was out cuz it was so damn NASTY and I hoped it would get reviewed for a music monday, but this is so much better!

• Lidia, you just made history d(O_O)b

• You were the one who submitted their video? Thanks because otherwise they most likely wouldn’t be even considered for the Awards!

3. Simon is wearing my bow!!!!!! Super ecstatic!!!!!!!^^

4. Who were those guys dancing around soozee?

5. You guys make me love Eric Nam even more everytime he comes to your studio! XD And Brad’s just as awesome as ever(or perhaps more? lol) And wow I wasn’t expecting the thank you speech from Boyfriend and VIXX I squealed so much. >w< As always, thank you for another great year and I can't wait for next year! ^^

6. OMG SO MANY GUEST APPEARANCES *O*

7. BEST EYK AWARDS EVER, Cant wait until next year, i would be nice to see the late acceptance speech videos of the other artist

8. Brad impersonation of Eric Nam XD So mean !! [So freaking funny] I ♥ Brad and Eric Nam ♥

9. I just… I don’t… I’m sorry, I had a major breakdown because NOM. I’m pretty sure half of my street heard me hysterically laughing for like ten solid minutes. Thank you.

10. NOM is officially scared of all forigners… BUT THAT WAS HILARIOUS!! You go Fangurilla!

11. I bet Fangurilla scared the shit out of the N.O.M. guys lol. BEST EYKAS SO FAR, GUYS! EPIC!

12. Finished part 2. Was happy to see Boyfriend and VIXX give a thank you video! …it was hard to top N.O.M’s appearance though… Don’t think anything could top that.

Just one minor bit of contention though. Um, when saying who a winner beat, it might be a good idea to keep it with people who were nominated in the category. I mean I guess technically you could say that if they weren’t nominated then the winner did beat them, but it just looks kind of off to me (if you ask me). I mean there were 7 other groups that you could have said that were nominated. I’m gonna go with it was just a quick slip of the tongue caused by alliteration, lack of sleep, and rushing to get the filming done though.

But overall, I think you guys did a super great job and I was really happy to see all the groups that participated! Great Job guys!!!

13. Wow you guys did an amazingly awesome job I was laughing out loud to everything, I especially loved the skit with Eric Nam and Busker Busker Brad. Can’t wait for next years and the timing of this upload was nice, very nice early Christmas gift ^^

14. OMG!!!! This is so awesome! It ended way too soon!!! You guys are the best, you are always making me laugh like crazy!!!

15. I can’t even, you guise. I’m laughing so hard, I’m crying. This year’s EYKAs were outstanding. Busker Busker Brad and Eric Name were hysterical, NOM were *can’t finish sentence, so much drooling over half naked boys* and great sports for coming out to be a part of this even though they didn’t win. Absolute yes to more being silly with Kpop bands! It was the best! You guys slay me. Hope you’re safe and warm and enjoying Christmas Eve Eve in Canada! Also Soooooozeeeeeee! You really do have the best job ;P

16. HOT!!! GUYS!!!!! LOL!!!! LOVED THAT PART!!!!!!

17. I don’t know about the indie one, but best band should be there.

18. This was awesome!! Last year was great, but this year you did even better! I couldn’t list everything that had me crack up.
    Soozee having the time of her life and being so cute when she said ”I love my job”!
    And Mordney is baaaaaaaaaaack!
    And the tribute to Milkshake… Ah I almost wiped a tear…

And I find so great that you had so many bands coming to the studio, and knowing that even more were interested… It’s great that you guys gain so much recognition now!
    And I was baffled by your explanation of TOP’s video. I was really weirded out by the video at first, but all these artistic references had me thinking (yep history of arts nerd here^^)
    And even though very few of the bands I supported made it to first place, I am quite satisfied by the results and think they are well balanced overall.

Ah now I really start to feel like it’s Christmas! Thanks for this awesome present… And a merry Christmas to everyone!

19. J.

I wish there was a way to get you guys real Golden Spudgy awards to hand out to the winners who actually make it to the studio.

20. SOOZEE AND MARTINA LUCKED OUT OMG I’M SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOWWWWWW DANCE ON ME NOM (*u*)

21. ohhh mah word!! I had to stop at 7:58 and laugh hysterically at Sooooozzeeeee’s resction >.< priceless

22. Omg. I laughed so hard. Great job you guys! Better then last year!!

23. So I’m going to assume Eric Nam is a new EYK bestie? You guy just keep accumulating kpop idol friends. I think Amber was totally jealous watching this…

24. Does Amber know that f(x) won?

25. MmM

THANK YOU FOR THIS YEAR’S EYKAs. Seriously. So fun to watch, I LOVE that you were able to contact the bands and get them to participate in the videos (Eric Nam is so sweet! :D), and they had me laughing hysterically. Also, SOOZEE AND NOM. BEST. THING. EVER.
    I’m with you guys about A Guys deserving the Nastiest video award! I was going through all of the mvs before voting and when that guy’s hands disappeared into his pants I sat there and stared open-mouthed until the video was over. I think they should have won that award, hands down (…their pants. OOH, SEE WHAT I DID THERE?).
    I have absolutely no problem with Amber using her EYKBFF super powers to help get f(x) the award for best female artist, though. Congrats to them! :D

26. The 2013 EYK awards is even better than the 2012 one. I laugh so hard, especially at the bloopers and when soozee went crazy surrounding by so many guys.
    It was completely worth the wait

27. Congrats to all the winners! But i must say that i’m so proud of Junsu and Jaejoong! As for Yoochun, we will see him soon as an actor in his new drama ,,Three days” and the movie ,,Sea fog”. And finally, a new JYJ album will be released in 2014. And thank you S&M for supporting JYJ!

• I’m so happy for JYJ and also love the support of Simon and Martina for this awesome group ^_^ YEAHHHHH!!!!!

28. OMG MARTINA I HOPED YOU WOULD DO A REVIEW OF T.O.P’S DOOM DADA AND YOU DID, even tho’ it was a fast one!! And you are just as excited about this video like me LOL I love that!! I was like DAMN MARTINA GOTTA DO A REVIEW ON THIS MV when I saw it, cause it was sooo weird and full of symbols, and you made it sooo interesting just doing a fast little review of Doom DaDa and when you listed all the symbols and influential pieces for the MV I was all like WHOAAing all the time. You should have done a KMM on this one!! ヘ(。□°)ヘ

• I learned quite a lot from Martina’s review of the video. About Dadaism and the movies that inspired this video.

29. I have really enjoyed watching the transformation of your videos. Did you guys ever imagine having this many fans and being able to book so many people? Sooo Happy for you guys. Thanks for the entertainment. You make my day a bit brighter every day. Oh and way to go Susie! Meow!

30. And the best scene of the EYKAs goes to….Soozee and her new work accessories…I almost died of laughter.

31. Eric Nam!!!!! aw he’s so sweet and cute. I thought BTS had it in the bag but I’m glad that Eric won and was able to come on. I loved the skit with him and ‘Busker Busker Brad”! He does know that he has to come on every year right?

GEEKS!! Wow, I didn’t expect them to show up! I’m really happy they did.

NOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!! I seriously screamed out loud when they came on!!! I was so hoping they would win but it’s awesome that they came on anyways! I’m still a little traumatized by the video though

I honestly wasn’t expecting all these groups to come! I figured ‘Busker Busker Brad’ would and maybe Eric but not the others. OK off to watch part 2. Once I saw NOM, I figured I had to stop and spazz for a few seconds!

32. I was waiting for Brad to Judo chop Eric and run off with the Golden Spudgy.

33. ahahahaahahahah OH MY GOD that Voldermort scared the crap outta me!!!! i literally jumped back!!!
    Soozoo and NOM bwahahahahhahaha!!!!

34. THANK YOU GUISE.
    Even though some of my favourite bands didn’t win I can’t stop myself from congratulating you guys for the amazing work. Thank you.

35. I didn’t think any of your winners would actually be in the EYK studio, that’s awesome! It’s so cool that they recognize you guise this way, and wanted to goof around with you and the Spudgy award haha, even tho’ it’s an fun, unofficial award voted forward by fans, and that they took time in their schedule to visit is awesome. Laughed a lot at the skits too, they were funny ^^ Nice work Simon and Martina, I enjoyed the EYKA’s a lot!

36. I was so excited for the EYKAs I spilled an entire glass of mint green bubble tea all over the floor. But it was worth it to watch Busker Busker Brad and Eric Nam duke it out. Amazing.

37. Brad’s “Eric Nam Impression” XD Do that on every variety show!

38. SPECTACULAR EYKA’s this year. It is so wonderful that so many celebrities participated. Didn’t know it was possibly but I may love Eric Nam even more now, love his sense of humor. Brad and him are amazing for doing this skit for the EYKA’s. HUGE round of applause to N.O.M. for the skit made of gold! For me the were the winners of Nastiest, especially since they were messaging for votes as well. Guys you really out did yourselves this year. Amazing humor and scripting, editing, the bloopers are perfect. Brad, lol quit teasing poor Eric hahaha. Love it guys, love you and love all everyone who participated!

39. By the way WHY DIDN T N.O.M. A GUYS WIN

• That’s what I’d like to know!

• People voted for their bias groups. N.O.M had the support of the hardcore Nasties because, it truly is nasty. Troublemaker had the support of the 4nias and the B2utys. Both of those fan groups (even by themselves) outnumber the hardcore Nasties who voted for N.O.M and were able to dominate that category. It’s not fair but with the system in which 100% of the votes count for an award, results like this are bound to happen. :/

• But in the end which video got more attention from EYK.?? Not that Troublemaker would have shown up to accept the award. NOM may not have won but they will get more views from this..

• So many of us commented on NOM’s MV page after seeing this. They are going to attract more attention with the international community now, that is for sure.

• n.o.m has a facebook page it’s n.o.mentlive just like their youtube

• Not to mention I think them showing up is going to get them a lot more attention and I’m thinking way more people who didn’t watch before will watch it now :)

40. Oh my God.. I laughed so hard with everyone.. my parents were giving me strange looks. Oops. xD