The 2013 Eatyourkimchi Awards!

December 24, 2013

Comments

Hi guise!

Allow us to present to you our second annual Eatyourkimchi Awards, which honours the best of Kpop for 2013, and whose winners are determined solely by you, the audience. We know award shows oftentimes are vague in how they select their winners, but, with us, you can see the results as the votes pour in. We, then, take the list of winners, and do our best to talk about their achievements as awkwardly as possible. Great success! The voting results were hidden for a while after the voting closed, but you can check them now to see all of the nominees and all of the categories. Woot!

We’ve divided up the video into two parts, because the whole thing was almost 20 minutes long. 20 Freaking Minutes! That’s too long for one person to sit through on this thing called the internets, so we cut it in half. We put it all in a playlist, which you should be able to watch above. If not, you can at least see part 1 up there. Here’s part 2:

Very big thanks to Eric Nam, Brad, Geeks, N.O.M., Vixx, and Boyfriend. They were all awesome, and had a great sense of humour about them. This is the kind of stuff we’d love to do with Kpop. We want to be silly with the bands, we want to play around and do funny stuff. Hopefully next year we could keep on doing stuff like this, and run after boy bands telling them we want to lick their butts.

Let us know what you think! I know that online voting is a double edged sword. It’s good that you can determine the winner of the awards clearly, while other award shows “factor” in your participation in some obscure unclear way, but it also means that a fanswarm can heavily sway the votes, as we saw with the first time we opened our KpopCharts system to determine the winners of How to Dance Kpop Style 2011, in which Big Bang won dance of the year for a video…that didn’t have a dance.

With these awards, though, it seems like people’s choices were pretty fair, and though we might have voted for different winners here and there, I don’t think the results are really arguable as terribly unfair. Let us know if you feel differently. I definitely would have voted N.O.M.’s “A Guys” as Nastiest video of the year, IMO.

But, on a more serious note: the video that made us laugh the most out of this whole event was the Bloopers. HA! We had some small mental meltdowns. Why? Because that day that we were filming, when we had to get everything recorded before we went to Canada, we had two urgent unavoidable meetings scheduled, out of the blue, on that day. Each of them taking up two hours. That’s four hours of daylight lost! So we were a bit woozy at the end, as you might have seen with the skating scene. But we managed to finish filming before the sun rose, and then scuttled back home to get packing. But not without getting a load of great bloopers, which we hope you’ll like as much as we do:

On that note, if you liked these videos and haven’t subscribed to our channel yet, make sure you do so by clicking on this button here. Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

Comments

Special Features

The 2013 Eatyourkimchi Awards!

1. I’ve probably watched this five times now, Eric and Brad were hilarious but Soozee SLAYED me. After that I was just done, and then the bloopers happened.
    But I’ve also come to the discussion with other motives…
    My friend just yesterday got me SHINee socks shipped all the way from SK as a late Christmas gift, and it came with a card full of some wonderful Engrish, and I’d thought I’d share with the Nasty community.
    “I really appreciated for buying from us. I hope you don’t mind that please leave positive feedback for me. Please understand this is Global shipment. We are far from away. All DSR 5.0 will be highly appreciated. (The webaddress) you can buy more variety and cheaper.”
    I’m calling it a three for one deal, kpop socks, Korean postage and Engrish all in one package. Favorite Christmas gift this year, by far hahaha.

2. Thanks guys. This was really funny. My bf dumped me on Christmas and I’ve just been feeling like a shitty wreck, and this made me laugh out loud and forget how miserable I was for a few minutes…

Also, it’s really cool how many artists you got to participate in this! Congrats!

3. I hope u one day get’s to intewiev JYJ! <3

4. Oh dear, not only do I think I recognize that gray wig from some cosplay sites but I’m pretty sure I know which characters it’s been styled for too. XD

5. When I saw the Doom Dada teaser with the lookalike Jack Lint baby mask, I was so stoked ’cause Brazil is my favourite movie EVAR. I was on a BB fansite and some posts were saying it was a reference to a weirdo-lookin’ baby from some animé, but given all the other movie references, I think it makes more sense that it’s a nod to Brazil.
    The 2013 EYKA’s were awesome! Thank you!

6. The only one winner I disagree with is the Nasty MV winner. I agree. NOM totally shoulda won. That video made me feel REALLY nasty after watching it. While watching these awards I was having flashbacks too. *shudders*

7. soooozeeee has the best job EVAR!! :D

8. This is why I love you guise and the EYKAs!
    I forgot how contagious Simon’s laugh is xD I had tears in my eyes just from watching and hearing him laugh in the bloopers!
    And let me thank all the Bestfriends around the world for voting my all time favourite group to the top, cause I missed the voting period. It’s so cool: last year K.Will won a category and this year Boyfriend. Starship Entertainment’s stable presence at this prestigious Award Show – I’m so happy :)

9. *on this website.

Trust me, some bands have very active fans and fandoms who do not like EYK and made active choices not to vote for the EYKA’s which were thought to be very irrelevant and pointless.

10. HAHAHAHA CRYING from laughter :D :D SO funny and happy!! The bloopers, MY GOOD!!! Poor Eric, but so funny Brad!

11. The transitions between each award category were great!

• :D Thank YOU for taking the time with these kinds of details! Is this Martina present? Oh and have you guys though of having a general discussion area where people can talk about topics that are not specific to a post but still relevant to eatyourkimchi and also be able to leave suggestions for video segments and other things?

12. If anything, it’s actually “T.O.P loves art. I love art. Therefore, I am T.O.P.”

13. Christmas Eve = made courtesy of EYK. Big shout out and thanks to all of the special guests!

14. eric nam is aaaaaadorable

15. This was fabulous from start to finish! I haven’t laughed this hard at your videos in a while… The guest appearances were awesome, and there were so many of them too!! I’m happy about these winners, even though they weren’t all the same who I voted for ^_^

The TOP video breakdown was awesome btw, I had no idea it had so many references o_O

16. …and I who was thinking that the baby in “Doom dada” was the one from “Spirited Away”…Thank you for the super fast-yet-super-interesting review Martina! Merry Christmas from Italy! ;-)