Eat Your Sushi: Ep 7

March 21, 2016

Comments

Welcome back! This week’s Eat Your Sushi episode is up! So much has happened since our last Eat Your Sushi episode.

For starters, WE GOT OUR FURNITURE! It took quite a long time to get here, but it finally arrived. We have a couch! We have a TV! We have our tripods and lights! And we have Kogi, Martina’s travel pig, who did not get VIP treatment in his move to Japan, which I thought was pretty hilarious. More hilarious than that is Kogi’s introduction to his new brother, Duck Duck McQuackerson (also known as Quack Quack McDuckerson), who filled the void while Kogi was sniffing shoes for a month. Martina needs a stuffed toy (or something stuffed, like bigger pillows) to sleep with to keep her shoulders in place throughout the night. With Kogi gone for an unforeseeable time, Martina had to get something to help her sleep. Now that Kogi’s back, though, we had to break the news to him: Martina’s been sleeping with another animal. Kogi didn’t take the news too well. Duck Duck McQuackerson on the other hand is quite slow, so he’s not sure what the fuss is about.

Ok I realized I shouldn’t write these blog posts this early in the morning, so soon after waking up, because then I start talking about things that I probably shouldn’t post, like stories from the imaginary personas of our lifeless stuffed animals. I can hear, crystal clear, in a few years, a potential manager saying to me “says here that your *flips clipboard page* Duck Duck McQuackerson is slow and doesn’t understand the commotion. Did you just write about your wife’s stuffed toys?”

Anyhow, we also showed you Martina’s nails up close. She finally got them done! She’s going to go a couple more times before she feels comfortable enough to recommend the place, like we did with her previous Nail Salon in Korea. Things are really different between both places, but we’ll talk about that another time.

Also, if you’re wondering what happened to last week’s episode, well, it was a bit confusing, but totally our faults. We filmed a special edition of Eat Your Sushi in the YouTube Studio space. We played games and told stories and it was great fun! However, when it comes to using footage from the studio space, we couldn’t use it with our regular vlog footage, the clips we use as interstitials, because we didn’t get location clearance for each place. One of the places was at NTT Docomo. We did a video about how long it takes to get a phone in NTT Docomo. And then we talked about it afterwards with the people that attended the YouTube event. Sounds confusing? It is. Long story short: if we had just used the footage from our event, we’d not have a problem. Because Eat Your Sushi is both an inside-outside footage kind of thing, it didn’t work. We still had an absolutely great time at the event, though, and met lots of lovely people, one of whom we spoke with outside of Harajuku a few days later (what are the odds!). I’m sorry we couldn’t get a video up for you last week, though. We should be smooth sailing from here on out!

So that’s it for this week’s episode. We’re back to another crazy week of filming, editing, and planning. We’re filming our first travel outside of Tokyo video next week, and we gotta get ready for that as well. Woohoo!

Comments

Eat Your Sushi

Eat Your Sushi: Ep 7

1. Can I ask what kind of service you used to move all of your stuff? (I asked on twitter a long time ago..) I’ll be moving to Korea soon and I need tips on moving my stuff…

2. As a huge Japan fan & manic food lover/gorger/addict, I’m gonna try to hit all these yum-o places you post about, on my annual sojourns to Tokyo (Especially looking forward to having basketball player beef!) As a dog lover, I’m dying to know when is Spudgy’s ETA is? He is missing out on delicious ramen and coco curry! (Well, at least he’s missing out on the great smells). Also, come next February, Sapporo has a great annual winter festival with delicious food stalls and cool ice sculptures you might want to scope out. BBQ scallops the size of your fists! And cherry beer! And Martina, you may also like the cute (yet slightly creepy art style) of Dayan Cat. I discovered this delight on my last visit there. There is a Wachifield store in Shinjuku that has wonderful merch in this line. It has a almost dark Alice in Wonderland feel to it. Keep being the wonderful and kooky peeps that you are and never stop churning out these highly anticipated videos!

3. Those nails are absolutely crazy, in a good way! I don’t know that I could really deal with them, though. Of course, I can’t even paint my nails because I’m a cook, but whatever!

That balloon roulette game would have stressed me out also, I can’t imagine playing something like that!

Martina uses Manic Panic hair dye, and I’m pretty sure she mixes different colors up to get the color she particularly wants. I think she uses two pinks and a little red.

Martina, have you ever heard of Pravana? They have a ‘vivids’ line that is just awesome and amazing. They have a magenta that is a beautiful neon-ish pink. It might not be the color you want though, specifically. Pravana is just much better quality than Manic Panic. They have a ‘clear’ you can mix with the base color so that you can tone down the neon if you like. I’ve used the dark purple with the clear to get closer to lavender, but right now my hair is silver to dark purple ombre. Anyways, one day when I’m rich and famous I’ll send you some tubes of that to mess with!

4. Are we voting on the voice for the house? I vote for “Jarvis” from “Agent Carter” (alternately Avengers/Iron Man). Actually, we don’t need to vote. That is the correct answer.

Also, does anyone know how to send a bottle of whiskey to Japan? Sending it to Korea turned out to be virtually impossible. I may have to hand-carry it. I’m not opposed to doing that, but it will be a while before I can manage it. Ok bye.

5. Devils acent makes me drool. Maybe you should never reveal his identity, there are probably tens of thousands of girls emotionally and physically ready to have a crush on him no matter who he is. Not everyone can handle that kind of responsibility.

6. Martina uses Manic Panic hair dye. She uses three of them Cotton Candy pink, Red passion and hot hot red. The Cotten candy pink is a more pale color so she has to use the others. She uses a drop of red passion to get more a strawberry like color. To get more of a fuchsia color she uses hot hot pink. Then mixes them all together. And that is how Martina dyes her hair!
    PS. In the name of the Moon PURI-PURI PRISONER will punish you!
    Love you guys!!

7. Martina uses Manic Panic hair dye. She uses three of them Cotton Candy pink, Red passion and hot hot red. The Cotten candy pink is a more pale color so she has to use the others. She uses a drop of red passion to get more a strawberry like color. To get more of a fuchsia color she uses hot hot pink. Then mixes them all together. And that is how Martina dyes her hair!

PS. In the name of the Moon PURI-PURI PRISONER will punish you!
    Love you guys!!

8. Manic Panic =3

9. Went to the Studio Ghibli Museum last summer and it was absolutely breathtaking!

The rules regarding filming and pictures are VERY strict, but we found it really helped you just enjoy the magic that is everything Ghibli. You honestly completely forget about the outside world while you’re in there and turn into a kid wanting to explore every nook and cranny of the building. Everything is so beautifully laid out and the attention to detail is BEAUTIFUL!

Keep an eye out for CATBUS…he’s hard to miss!
    Have so much fun! xo

10. Martina uses that super cotton candy Pink and hot hot pink hair dye mix with a red one of the manic panic brand ^^

11. Martina uses the brand Manic Panic in the colors (colour) Cotten Candy mixed with Red Passion to make a strawberry color (colour) or if she wishes to make it more vibrant she will add in Hot Pink.
    Reference: July 30 2012 Video, Manic Panic Pink Hair Dye Tutorial

I love how baby Memers clawed his way up Simon’s Leg sooooooo cuteeeee.

12. Martina you use the brand Manic Panic for your pink hair dye needs. I was totally ready to dye my hair bubble gum pink back in 2013 – I had bought the Manic Panic dye from Shoppers, my friend was ready to help me apply it….and then I got accepted into Teacher’s College and had to listen to a very long seminar on professionalism and decided against it. One day, when I am a tenured teacher I will dye my hair bubble gum pink and nothing will stop me! Nothing!!!

PS. Who is/are your favourite Sailor Scout(s)…for science?

13. Hi Simon and Martina, I have been a silent nasty for almost 2 years and a half. I have watched all your videos from the EATYOURKIMCHI segment, all the way up till now. I understand how Martina feels about Kogi, as I have the same problem travelling with my pig rabbit (I named him, dwaeji tokki). He is from the korean drama “You’re Beautiful” starring Jang Geun Suk and and Park Shin Hye. And yes, I used him as my profile pic (yeah!!). I bring him everywhere I travel, so when it is time to put him the suitcase I feel so bad. He tends to get squashed A LOT (feeling sooo…guilty right now). I try to fit him in my backpack as much as possible, with his head popping out so he can enjoy the scenery (he likes that). Dwaeji tokki says hi to Kogi and hope he is feeling better. And, my answer to your skill testing question is Manic Panic. Main base is Cotton Candy Pink, and then a drop of Red Passion to give it a strawberry pink colour. To make it fuchsia, add a bit of Hot Hot Pink. Love you guys so much, keep doing what you are doing because you guys can turn a frown upside down!!

14. Martina uses Manic Panic hair dye!!!

Also Love you guys and am loving loving loving the new format. And I agree with Martina I used Swang all the time too!

15. If it is the same as you used a while back, then it is Manic Panic!

16. Wait so is *beep* british??? ^^