The Eatyourkimchi Road Trip, Day 1

July 5, 2013

Comments

*Trumpet Sound* BRR BRRR BR BRRRR! Introducing, the Eatyourkimchi Team Building Road Trip!

We’ve shot so many WANKs and FAPFAPs locally, but Korea offers a lot more than just Seoul and Bucheon. It’s about time we stepped out of our comfort zones and Wonderfully Adventured around Korea! This marks our first team road trip, and – guise – let us stress to you just how totally stoked we are about this video. We’re unsure if you’re gonna like it as much as we liked it, but we had so much freaking fun doing this all that we kinda want to make a regular show out of trips like this. We’d like to go out for a weekend, film a boatload of footage, and edit and air that over the course of a month. It can be like our own 1-Night-2-Days kinda show. Thoughts?

We filmed SOOOO much footage, though, and can’t put it all in one video. That’d make for far too long of a video. We chopped up Day 1 into two different videos, embedded in a playlist above. If you can’t view playlists, here’s part 2 of the video:

Our footage of Day 2 will be UNLEASHED next week. Unleashed, you hear? It’s like a Kpop video. Little did you know that YouTube keeps videos on leashes. It is our duty as YouTubers to take the leash off of those videos, and for Kpop news sites to report on them with ridiculous titles.

The area we went to is Gapyeong. It’s close to Nami Island – famous for Winter Sonata – and Chuncheon, the birthplace of Dak Galbi supposedly, and also famous for Makguksu, which we LURRRRRV. We stayed at the Four Seasons, and I HIGHLY doubt it has any connection to the actual Four Seasons franchise. Is it just a freak coincidence that the pension has that name, or were the pension owners like “Yeah! Four Seasons sounds like a great name. Let’s use that as well!” I know Korea likes to advertise its four distinct seasons – which – by the way, is malarky. Spring lasts two weeks. That’s not a season!

The Four Seasons pension was totally packed. Not a single room sat unused. We didn’t have the biggest of the rooms, but we didn’t have many options, either. Pension season is coming up, supposedly, and the cost of pensions go up in July. Our first day there, after we unpacked all of our gear and collapsed into Eatyourkimchi heaps, we tried booking another day, just so we could relax a bit, but everything was already booked. Balls! So we had to wake up at, like, 9AM to make breakfast and get ready for our 12PM checkout. GROSS! That’s what, like, normal people do! We usually go to sleep at 4 or 5AM and sleep in until past 12. Adjusting to normal people hours scares us.

Not all rooms were equal, either. Some of the rooms are smaller, just for couples. Some were bigger than that, like ours, meant for double dating. Beside us was a giant room, meant for larger groups of people, like schools or bigger companies. They had their own big outdoor grill and giant table which overlooked the scenery. Our grill was upstairs and in the corner by the cornfields. Not as pretty as the bigger group, but we were still happy to be out of the city and closer to nature, in a way. Our room also didn’t have a noraebang, which we’ll be sure to get for our next pension trip – if you like these videos, that is!

We thought for a bit about how the grass is always greener. Our studio’s right in Hongdae. We’re surrounded by buildings and stores and restaurants and clubs and schools and people and cars and tiny parking lots and crawling cars. Out in the countryside, we heard frogs screaming out “I JUST HAD SEX” in the middle of the night. The skies were so dark and unlit that we could barely see each other. We sat by the balcony and shared a bowl of cherries, then tried to see who could spit their pits out the farthest. We couldn’t see where they landed: we’d spit the pits and try to hear how far away they clicked on the road. That, for some of us, felt like what we wanted to do forever, surrounded by mountains and trees and water and barely any people.

For people living there, though, the trees and the hills are not as charming. The bustling energy of the city is far more interesting. I’m sure we’d feel the same way if we lived in the countryside for a while. We’re all meant to yearn for something different. We know some people are watching our videos and wishing they could live somewhere else, because where they are is so boring, and some will move here or elsewhere and enjoy the difference for a while. But then they’ll learn to miss their homes. We miss Canada. We miss Bucheon. We miss the Four Seasons. And if we ever live in another country, we’ll miss Korea. Ok I’ma stop being existential now. There’s just something jarring about the serenity outside of cities. Or it could be the fact that Monsoon Season has started now, and writing blog posts in gloomy and dark and rainy days changes the things you feel like writing about. I’m sure if it was sunny today I’d be like “SPUDGY WAS SO CUTE AND FUN ARRRGGGHHH”

Anyhow, that’s it for this week. Day 2 comes out next week. If you’re interested, we have a small teaser for it here as well:

Cool! Teasers for future episodes! That’s, like, so professional and TV-like, no? Well, if you’d rather see us be more un-professional, you can check out this week’s Blooper reel here below.

Comments

Wonderful Adventures

The Eatyourkimchi Road Trip, Day 1

1. They are may flies but I grew up in Windsor and we always called them june bugs (which are actually a beetle and a different species entirely!) To this day I still call them june bugs but *know* they’re really may flies. The swarms we get back home at my parents place are TERRIFYINNNGGG!!!

2. Pausing the video to say:
    “Lazy cause I’m so crazy”
    Ahahaha, when Kyung said that I died. I love that you remembered it and ended up using it here. That’s so cool.

Ok, on with the rest of the vid!

3. By the way, not exactly on-topic, but did you ever get to go to Yeosu Expo?

4. I don’t really think I’ve noticed this before, but your weight-loss and working out has DEFINITELY paid off :D good job, guys!! (now I need to be more like you… =,=””) hehe ^^

5. OMO This place looks perfect!!! Take me with you next time you go on a roadtrip guise!!!! T.T (I wish lol)

6. I think it’s a great idea to travel around Korea more and this video was a lot of fun to watch! :D But, for the future if you start making more of these, can you go to different sights etc. and not just stay at the pension? Of course, your time is limited but I think that would be great :) You probably have more of that in your Day 2 video if you’re visiting the Nami Island and all but I thought I’d still bring it up :)

Anyway, great vid guise! I’m starting to like SooZee and Leigh more and more :D

7. I’m pretty sure Simon broke a lot more rules than he got called on!

8. How terrifying was it driving in Korea??

9. Where’s your blue bowsie, Simon?

10. I’ve watched this twice today. Guys, this is one of your best WANKs EVAR! Question: Have you ever thought of bringing the WANK dice back? I miss that dice

11. Awesome video guys. Reminds me of a variety show :DD

12. Love SooZee’s earrings :)

13. This has got to be the best WANK EVAR

14. Now here’s a nice suggestion for an “Away mission”: Ganggu-ri. A harbour village on the East coast that survives solely snow crab restaurants. Very popular with Koreans, not so with foreigners (we were the only two waegooks we saw there). The food is excellent for a FAPFAP and the scenery could be a good WANK. Then again it’s very close to Gyeongju, where you can go WANKing for at least a week… Here’s a picture of the scenery in Ganggu-ri

15. I’m heading to Gapyeong today with my coworkers for an overnight trip :D Thanks for sharing your video!

16. Nic

This was awesome… and really made me miss Korea. I do spend some time in Seoul but I spend a lot of my time in the rural areas.

17. When I read the line about the frogs I instantly heard the SNL song looping in my head, and then I thought, damn those must be talented frogs if they can sing like Akon

18. OMG best video ever!!! I laughed sooo hard! The games you played were awesome!!! I felt like i was apart of the crew and joined you guise!!! ^.^ I can’t wait for more!!! <3

19. I would love to see more of these 1-Night-2-Days videos~! It seems like you guise had an absolute blast!! :D

20. This is hilarious!!! Please do more of this! Once a month would be good. :)

p/s: anyone noticed that Simon said “I’m not good with left hand” but was not punished? XD I’m on to you Simon!

21. I can’t tell you how excited I was to see this! You guys look like you were having so much fun, I wish businesses here would do this. Your pervert cam almost had me in tears I was laughing so hard. I think a 1-Night-2-Days this would be amazing!

22. Really enjoyed watching this video. Really made me want to travel around Korea. Do you think it would be easy for a foreigner to rent a car and just drive around Korea for several weeks? Just sounds like a lot of fun to me.

23. cool! looks like you guys had so much fun! and it was funny to see you dunk ;p

i like the teaser idea! very professional indeed! ^_-

24. I would love EYK to do more travel videos, showing us the different parts of Korea. Also, you should introduce us to ALL the different kinds of kimchi! cause I don’t know much about em… :D Great video guise, I missed the punishment die you used to have so it was great to see a punishment hat!

25. Did anyone see the spudy’s thingy in the begining of the video? /.

• Lol I know, poor guy was obviously quite excited to be going on the trip :P Didn’t help the way Martina was holding him “Hey guise look at Spudy’s…” lmao

• I didn’t want to look at it but the different color caught my attention. >_< "

• I know, where the heck was the blurry mosaic huh? awwwwkward…

26. I like a lot your video, is like family trip feel~ So great!! And right, you should do more like this, Korea is no just a city~ so is great you can explore another place and show us~! Hi five to this new WANK!

• yeah they do give me the feeling that they are a family, and mom martina was doing the driving, which is weird for me, cos its usually the dad who drives when the family is out on a trip. and they have a pair of very cute daughters LOL

27. Is it weird that I kept going back to 3:08 on the second part just to hear Martina’s high pitched “I don’t know what number we’re on?!”? Cause it just made me laugh every time she said it.

28. Loved this!! and I also love that Soo Zee and Leigh are appearing more in the vids ^^

29. I would totally like to see more videos like these and I loved the teaser.

30. Definitely looking forward to EatYourKimchi Road Trip Day 2 & the GWIYOMI CHALLENGE :D :3

31. This was SO much fun to watch :) I miss your old wank adventures where you had challenges and this kinda brought it back

32. Out of curiosity what part other than your ear did you guys pierce?

• I wanna know too! My guess is eyebrow for Simon, lip (plus others) for Martina and a nose ring for Soozee :D.

33. thsi is seriously one of my favorite wanks ever – i loved it!!!! I would love to see more of this! :D
    also I totally died at the “everyone is drunk part” oomg XD

34. That was lots of fun! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you guys, lol.

35. I really love when the EYK crew gets together for videos like this. I think Sozee and Leigh are really cool :) Simon and Martina, you guys did a really good job at creating such a pleasant work dynamic. I wish all bosses were as fun as you guys :( This WANK was amazing, it made me wanna leave town and go camping with friends :D

36. I like these kind of videos. Please visit different cities in South Korea so we can get a sense of what all of South Korea is like and not just Seoul. Start with Busan!!! I really want to see Busan in person, but seeing it through your eyes and camera is good enough for now.

37. please please PLEASE share the rules you had written out on the pieces of paper in the hat for the drinking game!! i want to do this with my friends!! :)))

38. Spudgy looked really, er ….. happy there during your introduction. *cough* *giggle*

39. I love these videos!! :]
    I think you guys should continue to do the especially if you guys have fun doing it!
    Yay for an eatyourkimchi road trips show! :D

40. That was awesome ! One of the best WANK you ever did. You should totally do it on a regular basis ! I had so much fun watching you