Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. nah

the pack i want is almost sold out! and i don’t get paid till Friday boo! o well ill donate else were !

2. I’m really sorry I cannot help!
    Just a poor NASTY soul (who have been watching you since Ayy Girl Music Monday review) like me can do nothing to help! I feel bad for this!Still, I love you guys so much and I seriously hope there won’t be any entertainement label or any lobby who will try to take away what made eatyourkimchi.com so special; the quirckiness, the fun you seem to have while filming each of your videos and the really close and homely feel but most of all, the passion you have for Kpop, and the seriousness you have in keeping your promise to be there for each music monday, wank, open the happy, and the previous wtf…Hope you’ll always be independant and free with your content and reviews!
    Viva la eatyourkimchi!

3. I’m expecting my very first Visa card this week guise and I will be spending it here FIRST.
    Nasties love you Simon and Martina <3

4. Of course we can do this much for you guys! I’ll donate when I can, but right now I don’t have any money!

5. Cat

I might not be able to donate at the moment…But I might be able to make you guys a…studio..warming gift! xD

6. I’m so proud of you guise!!! I’ve watched EYK grow up from little clips about Korean ice cream to full-scale WANKS and interviews with Korean artists, and I’ve always been amazed and grateful that you two have gone so far! As your business has grown, so has my passion for Korea, and so I will donate to cheer on your dream of making a studio and mine of moving to Korea :D You two are an inspiration and I’m thankful you’re so passionate about what you do. ^^ Saranghae~~~! EYK Fighting!

7. I’ll come be your editor lol. I wish.
    Unfortunatly i can’t donate much, i’m broke.
    But i’ll donate again when i get some more moneys.

8. You guys already have $11,217 :O
    Although I REALLY wish I could donate, I can’t (Blame my parents .-.)
    Good Luck guys! EatYourKimchi fighting!

9. JP

:) I hope you get together what you need and then some! Good luck! I did my own 5$ too!

10. Your contribution timeline bums me a little… this is because I am planning to go to Korea in 2 years, together with a friend. I would have loved to have met you guys under one of these things, but won’t be able to *sad face*. In 2 years, when I near 26, I am going back as an adopted Korean looking for my roots, which happen to be quite interesting.

First of all, I am born in Anyang-myun, a province that I have barely heard a thing about, and apparently my parents were day labourers, with a family of 8 children, before I was born. I guess, in such essence, it gives a lot of speculation to why I ended up here (Sweden), but it’s a mystery I hope to solve by then. Secondly, all I have *by korean adoptive law* right to know is written down on a few papers, such as the names of my parents and their whereabouts. In which, I am still wishing to know why they labeled my father as *well rounded*, while my mother has quite a detailed decription.

Sadly, both my parents were quite old when I was born, my father was 62, and my mother was 40 (she was his second wife). My father passed away when I was four, without me knowing it. That made him around 66 years old when he died. Seeing this, I know I will never get to meet him, but I hope my mother will remain until the day i can financially be able to travel (because it is expensive to travel, irritatingly enough), and that at least i can get the chance to meet her, never having managed to meet him.

*rereads her post*

Er… I guess, this kind of turned into a sad story, but what i really want to say is thank you so much, Simon and Martina, for giving me such a wonderful view of modern Korea. I was 16 the first time I went to Korea, and I was shocked because the country had changed so much since I left as a baby, and all my books (all written around 1988-1990) that my parents bought around the time were so dreadfully outdated I didn’t know how to keep up with it. Your weekly videos, updates and educational messages has really helped me to catch up more and more to the country I was born in.

Ps: I also contributed, but with little money myself, f bucks is all I can manage. Until, I get paid.

11. Of course we nasties will always help out in any possible way!!! Your videos bring me so much joy and always without doubt put a HUGE smile on my face! I 110% love everything about you both and your videos! You’ve inspired me and have been a massive help in increasing my love for Korea! (I’m moving there in 3 years to teach after college!!!) You two deserve nothing but the best, and it’s so sweet of you guise to always be thinking about your viewers in every decision you make! Much love EYK! I’m donating right now :D EYK FOREVAA! no… FIVEEVAA!

12. I’ll have to wait until I get my second paycheck to donate (the first one has to go to help pay my credit card bill >.<), but I will in fact donate! It's coming!!! After how much you guys gave us, it's the least I can do. You have the best videos and make me laugh several times each week. You're also just such great people. I've been watching your videos since before KMM even started, so I figure that's worth a lot! Thanks for all you've done and all you continue to do! Love you guys~ <33333

Also, I can't believe it's already over $10,000. Wow… fantastic baby!!! o/

13. ps- Drama segment for the win.

14. YES I WILL BUT U GUYS NEED TO WAIT TIL MY PAYDAY CUZ IM POOR RIGHT NOW…. T.T

15. gonna get extra $$ for my b-day so will be happy to share some with you, but need to wait till next week cuz now i have literally 4$ in my account T_T

16. For now I can spare $5 but I hope to contribute again soon.

17. Nat

Of course we can help because we love you guys! Just checked out the page and apparently a lot of people agree with me, lol. I hope that we can help you guys reach all your goals so that you can level up EYK to the next epic level!

18. Can’t do it right now, but I’ll give you my word my contribution will be in tomorrow! It’s 2AM here so X_X You guys are doing great, and me being in the Media industry too, it’s hard to get investment so here I shall… help your fundraising ^^

19. I was just gonna donate $5 but I really want that polaroid!! lol Thank god for my extra money i got from Financial Aid!!! :D

20. It’s not letting me donate D:
    I’ve gone through the information a thousand times, but it still says to try again. Anyone else having the same issue?

21. Gaaah!!! I will ABSOLUTELY donate!! I hope $10 is good enough. If I could I would give you sooooo much more, but I am a poor college student who is having my own money issues and blah blah blah, you know what I’m saying…. However, every night when I come back to my dorm, I throw on “Eat Your Kimchi” to help me sooth into relaxation and get some enjoyment from what is usually a stressful day, so its worth it. I would love for you guys to keep this going… And if this helps you guys to get a business going and to help you guys with hiring additional help I am all for it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow me to come and have the utmost honor in meeting you guys. *I’m coming to Seoul for study abroad this summer and then to Teach in 2014* I love you guys so much!!! ^_^ 아자 아자 화이팅 Simon & Martina!!!!

22. I haven’t read the entire blog…but I was just wondering if Kickstarter would work for you guys?

23. Just sent my money and hope that it finds you well in a new studio. I will send more on payday (must get the care package before they are all sold out). Love you guise.

24. I still can’t believe deposits for apartments cost that much. How does anyone even manage to afford it? Is it something that happens to foreigners only, or do Korean people face this too (and if so, are there any campaigns to challenge the system)? I hope you manage to raise enough money and achieve everything you want to!

• The deposit is decreasing these days but Koreans actually think the other way around – we think paying rent is just throwing away money. Koreans will either save up the money to pay deposit which is guaranteed to be back in you pocket after the contract or lend money for the deposit at a lower interest rate than the monthly rent. Hope this solves your question.

25. Once my hubby gets home from work, I’m gonna ask him if we can donate a little. We spend at least one night a week catching up on EYK. It’s a time for us to be geeky with you while our kids are asleep. Go go EYK!!

26. ughhhh guys! why couldn’t you have waited until friday! I really want that care package! I’ll still donate whether its available buttttt yearg…really wanted to get that :) I’ll see you fridayyy. Love you guys~

27. U guys should make an eat your kimchi eBay account I will buy any thing I can get from u guys

28. Man I wish I could donate to get that cd I’m gonna wash the dishes every single day and well i’ll how much I ge via twitter

29. p.s. if i could afford the Afternoon out with EYK, you would so be wearing my face on a WANK!!!!

30. Glad to help with a donation! I’m wondering if the South Korean government tourism people would see the benefit of helping, too?? You two (and Spudgy and Dr. M) are great ambassadors for South Korea!

31. I hope you can wait for at least 2 more days since pay day was pushed to Friday because of the Labour Day holiday. I might not be able to give a lot since
    I’m a dirt poor University student and you must know how expensive schooling in U of T is. But I’ll gladly help as much as I can. You guys make my day so much brighter and I hope you can continue doing this.

32. Plotting how to get my hunny/friends/family to give me enough green for my birthday for the perks I want!!

33. Nasties Unite! Really, I love what you guys do and if I can contribute in some small way to keeping the EYK dream going that makes me SO HAPPY! I mean really, how could more videos be a bad thing?

34. i just donated via paypal, hope you guys get your $40k =)

35. i shall donate whatever i can!!!! when i get paid lol that’ll be $10 sorry it’s the only amount i can give ^^

36. Donating $30 right now because that’s all I have to spare before digging into my school’s money. I really, really think we can all make it. I love you guys!

37. I’m in
    *dreaming of being a secretary for EYK

38. guys i am not from korea and i would like to help but i want to make a payment from my card and its the first time i am doing..please help with some instructions…like what is the security code or …:(

• GYG

For your credit card right? if so its on the back of your card..right next to the spot you sign your card :) hope this is what you need lo :) hope it helps lol

39. If it had paypal as an option i could donate =(

40. Just donated some money. I have been watching your videos for over 2 years now and being able to watch EYK grow into something more makes me happy. Good luck and I will continue cheering you guys on! :) – http://magikyul.tumblr.com