Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. WOW. im pretty prude right now! Go Nasties!!

2. Yay!

3. Wow, already hit $40,000! congrats!

4. I cannot wait for Simon and Martina to see their goal already reached. I hope they get double that…or triple, by the end of their campaign. What a moving fan base. I am so glad I was able to contribute to their dream.

5. Jay

They reach the goal GO NASTIES!!

6. $40000!!!! FORTY FRIKKIN THOUSAND DOLLARS GUIZE!!!! WE DID IT!!!! in 7 hours!!

I’m crying. I can’t believe this.

• So Awesome… And Nasty!!!

• Mother of God!!!……I cannot believe the generosity of all the nasties $1000 donations?!! You people are amazing…I made my contribution I want you guys to be massive GO EYK GO! Also so excited to see the new EYK and videos to map this next set of adventures xD

• I….I don’t know what to say. That’s a massive, massive amount of money (like, the annual wage of my entire family combined). Nasties are soooo amazing. I’m so gabsmacked – and I’m not even Simon/Martina, I’m just a random Nasty who helps them out for free….

ALL THESE FEEEEEELLLSSSS!!!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! 。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

• in one day!!! hahaha!!!!
      OHHHH WE SOOOO NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Can I just say (please excuse my language) but HOLY SHIT! O__O

• you underestimate our POWER!

• We’ve been crying just about all day. Wait: ok – started crying again.

• Congrats guys! Clearly you see how amazing you are, way above your goal in 1 day =) You’ve clearly touched and connected with many people all over the world. See, we love you. Hope everything keeps getting better!

• Hopefully this gets to you directly S & M. I’m a Music Business Management major at Berklee College of Music, I’m currently in data and statistics and this week we’re going over crowdfunding costs and how to budget them. I’m wondering if you’ve made a budget for this fundraiser before hand or after? Could you post it on the website that’s tracking your progress on the studio? I’d like to potentially use it for an article I’m writing for the schools Music Business Journal on Kpop!

• Wow! Congratulations!

It’s so great that you can actually do this! Good luck with the rest of it!

• And not many days after, we’re about to double that sum of money.

7. …need to update credit card. MUST DONATE!!

8. As soon as I get home tonight, I’mma donate! You guys are amazing and the whole reason I even considered coming to Korea! I wouldn’t want to leave you flapping in the wind when you’ve done so much for me! Keep on keepin’ on!

9. I’m saving to be able to quick my job…but you two have no idea how your videos help me laugh when I have a very stressing week at work!!! SO I really need to donate!!!

10. I am going to donate $5. I’m very poor. I do save money, however, by staying home after work instead of going to the bar or hanging out with my buddies.

11. Awe I’m not allowed to donate….. I will be watching through every single add on eatyourkimchi videos over and over again to make up for it guise! ;)

12. I need to wait for my payday to make a donation… but fellow Nasties you’re amazing! It’s almost 30k now, You can go pass it! I believe in your nastiness ^-^

13. I’ll donate $5. I’m poor as hell. I do, however, save money by staying home after work instead of going to the bar or hanging out with my buddies.

14. DRAMA SEGMENTS!!!! PLEASE~ <3 ^^ I miss your drama recommendations Martina.

15. If I buy a t-shirt, will that count as a donation? :D

16. i would contribute but i dont have a credit card and my parents wont let me borrow theirs D:

17. $30,010 haha we’re getting closer… I wish I could see their faces when they come back to the fundraiser page :D

• If you go on twitter. They have a picture of themselves crying from all the FEELS of the donation :_)

18. i would contribute but i dont have a credit card and my parents wont let me use theirs D:

19. My goodness being your video editor would be a dream!

20. Nasties get your party hats on!!!!! the 40,000 goal is almost here. Let’s go past the 40 thousand goal so S&M can hire some editors and get a little break.
    Nasties hwaiting.

21. I’m a college student but I’m a subscriber and I go onto EYK everyday so I had to support you guys! Just donated $30. Keep being awesome! Thanks for your work and humor and positive attitudes. You always encourage me and make me smile!
    (Oh, and I can’t believe you guys might hit $40,000 in one day!)

22. you guys now have like 28k WOW…it’s only 3 hours….hmm…i wonder how much it would be in total after 45 days =D

23. Donation done! Woohoo!

24. looks like you will get that money by tomorrow or the day after :D

25. I love how the video says it starts September 7th and it’s like not that yet and it’s almost at 3/4 of the way to the goal already. :)
    PS: OMG DRAMA SEGMENT!!!! :D

26. I live in venezuela no dollars over here :( anyway i can still help out? Don’t think my currency could help you out could it? Lemme know so i can stack up at least 20$ worth of it i really wanna help you out =[

27. Wow, looks like you’re gonna smash your target! I’ve just donated, wish I could do more but every little helps :) (gutted I missed out on the care package tho!)

Is it bad that this is the first cause I’ve ever donated to…? :P

28. if you guise havent checked your fundraiser amount yet, you should totally post a video of your reactions when you check them XD

29. just donated 30$ ^_^

I really wish i could afford a night out with you guys though!!!! but 1000$ is a little steep… T_T i get it though, if it was cheaper, everyone would check it and then you guys would be overrun with Nasties wanting to hang out and have no time for work!! XD still… living in Japan, going to Korea to meet you guys is totally doable… can you give me a discount for 500$? lol.

but anyhoo, good luck! hope you guys reach your goal and can keep on providing us with awesomeness for many years to come! ^_^

30. i totally wanna work for you in about two years!!! It’d be soo much fun! I wish i could give you some money but I cant. . . :C

31. The 5th of September is now marked in my calender as the anniversery of EYK & Nasties. Becase today we have showed the power of us we-so-nasties that comes from the love and gratefulness we feel towards Simon and Martina (and Spudgy & Meemers of course, I am bias-free), and how much we support these amazing people.
    To these past four years and to many more to come with the EYK family! ❤

32. I told ya we nasties were ready to give you money! ^^ What’s with the autographed CDs and stuff against donation? You’re underestimating our love for you!

33. When I saw the picture you posted on twitter, I bursted into tears, because I was so happy for you and how well the fundraiser is going :’))) You are the most genuine people that I follow on the internet and I just absolutely adore your work. After many years of following your videos, I am happy that I can finally somehow show my support for you guise<3 I donated the amount I had on my paypal (1$ : D) and after I get more money this month, I'll donate 20$ more. That's a lot for a poor student like me, but I am more than happy to give it to you and support EYK, because YOU ARE WONDERFUL, HARDWORKING AND DESERVE IT MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE : ))

34. $25 kachinged your way!! donated about 45 min ago and it was 30000 odd, now its 33000 plus, yay nasties!!! as far as i can tell this post/vid came up 6 hours or so ago, which means within half a day simonandmartina are gonna reach their goal, sooo cool guys
    i smell eyk response video coming up like tomorrow or the next day latest thanking all the nasties!!

35. I wish i could donate more, but i guess every little helps, eh :D

36. Wow! It will be so great once all of this is set!!! But I’ll miss seeing your home. Well, that sounded creepy. :D

37. $33,407 already! Donated $40. I really want EYK drama reviews. Flower Boy Kimchi, Secret EYK, Kimchi 1997. Oh do want!

38. donating!! right now!! :3 …

39. Noooo I didn’t make it in time I wanted a care package but lets see what else I can donate because I believe you guys deserve to be helped >.> pluuuuusss you are almost at your quota :D yay you :D

40. PIC OF SIMON AND MARTINA CRYING FROM FEELS OF DONATIONS : http://yfrog.com/oed1mwcj