Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. Yay I will contribute right after I pay off this semester :D Simon and Martina, I can safely say that we all are happy to contribute what we can because you are making the kind of “TV” we want to keep watching… GO NASTIES!

2. Simon and Martina, we are gonna “blow your mind whootoootooo-ooo~~~” with our support.

3. I’ll def help when I get paid in 10 days ^__^

fighting <3

4. I love you guys! We’re Korean Americans living in Irvine,CA with 2 grade school age kids and our entire family looks forward to your videos. You guys have so much charisma and have taught us and our kids so much about Korea…We’ll donate what we can. You guys are going to be BIG. BIG!!!!!!

5. i will donate when I get my next paycheck which is in 3 days EYK INC. HWAITING!

6. Thank you for all your videos!! :D
    They have cheered up my days and got me interesting in Korea, K-pop and dramas. Now Im going to Korea on sunday for three weeks, all thanks to you! So I donated to your future. ;) I cant wait see more videos from you and I hope you become a real K-pop channel.
    Ps. If you need a graphic designer, Im currently in uni studying it and would love to help with your site! :D

7. when my paycheck comes in the first thing i’m doing is donating to you gusie!! <3

8. Wow! Seeing the amount of money made in 2 hours is MINDBLOWING. once I get a credit card, I’m definitely donating money. EYK FIGHTING!

9. I am definitely donating to you guys, you guys definitely make up my week. Hope my donation helps ^^

10. Donation on the way…EYK Fighthing!!

11. It’s so sad, but I only have one dollar in my paypal account (hehehehe) So it’s all yours!!! You are almost half way!! Ánimo!!! Keep fighting!

12. its almost 20,000 in under 24 hours, way to go nasties! high fives all around !!!

13. all I could do was the 5 bucks in my paypal account, but i’d love to see what you guys can do with all of the money!

14. Unfortunately I’m currently broke and between jobs, but my last job payment comes in on the 12th so expect payment then! I ‘d love to get an evening with you but I get paid less than that a month. :(

15. I left $5, Sorry it’s all I had! Hope you raise your goal and beyond! Xx

16. Woohoo! $18.5K already!

Just donated and totally worth it. Your videos make my day more often than I can count!
    Best of luck with the studio. ^___^

17. wahh my uncle lives close to hongdae~~ maybe if you guys move there, ill be able to see you guys!

18. I am donating now :) Love you guys!!!! I don’t know what I would do without your videos!!!! Good luck and much love from the States <3

19. Not even a full day and you guys are already halfway there! I’m so excited. I can’t donate anything until I get paid, but I’m super happy for you guys! You deserve this :>

20. I’m sorry I can’t donate much, but I hope it helps. You guys are awesome!

21. I really want to help you, but I’m from Sweden, can I still donate? I hope so!
    It would be super awesome if you got your own studio :D Just don’t loose the EYK-style (Gangnam Style automatically pops up in my head xD ) when you’re getting more famous, I’ve seen it happen to so many celebrities. :c <3

22. I just donated whatever I could, even though I’m just a full-time college student, I really love your show so best of luck to you both!

23. Good luck you guys! If only I could donate as well ;~; much much love!

24. I think you guys should raise the goal for this fundraiser, the way things are going now you’ll reach the goal in a day lol and i don’t think you’ll have a problame reaching 100K

I donated only 25$ (for the picture), I wanted to take the option with the CD too, but i actually just got back from a 3 weeks trip to Korea, so i’m kinda low on funds… I hope this’ll be enough to help you guys <3

also, Drama segment? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

25. Good luck and lots of love! ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* (◕‿◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

26. I just finished donating $40… Well worth the money… Wish I could donate more but sadly this is all I can spare TT.TT EYK Fighting!!

27. This is so exciting you guys!!! Congratulations!!

28. L M

You guys are a third of the way there in a matter of HOURS:] I am so happy for you I’m actually tearing a bit. It takes so much baaaallls to open your own business as a foreigner in Korea of all places.

EYK has brightened up my day too many times to count! You guys are amazing and hardworking and outstandingly funny people, and it’s time for fans to give something back!! I make this donation with much love and CANNOT WAIT to see a fully integrated EYK~ XOXO

• Aww, I found myself crying a little too. Simon & Martina have given us so much already for free, it feels good to be able to support their dream directly. Their vision for the future of EYK is so exciting :)

29. Of course I’m going to donate!! It feels like I’m a part of something huge when doing so, and especially since I’ve been following you for some time, even before you began the Kpop Music Monday Segments! As a supporter, I’ll donate! I’ve been receiving your videos for free for too long:P

30. I just donated a few dollars!
    I wish I could give more, since your videos always make me laugh and brighten my day! Really hope your plans will go well! fighting! ^^

31. I want to be a stock holder for EYK!

32. Oh i’m gonna set up a Paypal account for donating!!
    And apart from this,how about promoting your online store?
    Don’t forget your Batoost, Bilasa, Spudgy and EYK Tshirts!

33. I love eatyourkimchi! Simon and Martina have amazing people skills! WILL DONATE!

34. i love you guys, us nasties will definitely support you!!!! am pretty sure ur goal will be met in under 3 weeks . . . maybe even less

35. I’m pretty sure I’m right now the poorest I’ve ever been in my adult life… But when EYK calls for my aid, how could I possibly decline? Hope $50 is enough…

36. I’m more than happy that I can help! ^^
    Already donated and now I will be waiting for my own Autographed Polaroid Picture! Yay! ;)
    Wish you all the best! Rise strong and healthy! ;D

37. Wow! $13,000+ in the first hour! I’m so happy, I’m actually crying a little (and I’m not even the one getting the money.) Nasties, you truly are the most amazing people and I love each and every one of you.

38. If i can waste $165 on a useless college art book, then I think i can donate $100. EYK forever!!!

39. You guise are the reason I’m moving to Korea to teach :) For helping me finally make the decision I was too scared to make on my own, I can definitely spend some savings to try and pay you back

40. I’m broke right now, but I get financial aid in a few weeks so I will donate then, but I will post it on my site and blog.