Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. O.o) ~ I MUST become a kpop artist now…. I want to meet Simon and Martina! You guys are definitely getting that studio ^_^) ~

2. I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY GAAHHH but you guys are already sooo close on the first day!!! I’ll definitely be getting the money before the deadline I will i will!!!!!

3. It will be pretty helpful if you make any stuff about EYK, cause hongdae is famous for unique fashion of youngsters as well as indie music. :) Seoul is EXPENSIVE as hell :p Hope you get a nice place!

4. Dear Simon and Martina, there is a good chance u will get ur goal within the day by the look of it, congrats. :D keep up the good work! :D

5. So happy to support you, EYK!!!

6. You underestimated your only-50-care-package-available. I would have totally chosen that if it was still available. *sniff*

7. You guys should make things like wristbands as well as Meemersworth shirts. SImply things like I <3 Simon and Martina, I <3 Spudgy, I <3 meemersworth, Nasties 4 Lyfe, ect ect.
    They're easy and fun and generally a nicer way to earn extra (needed) money.
    Plus i need some Kimchi style to advertise on my wrist.

8. I dont think nasties even need the polaroids, cds, and care packages to donate I would have donated no matter what!

9. I’d love to help you guys out! Your one of the reasons why I decided to come to Korea. But I don’t have my ARC yet, so I don’t have a bank in Korea yet. You know that feeling! -__- ugh!!! I soo want to help, but by the time everything gets done on my end. EVERYTHING is gonna be gone! Your already at 32,000!!!!!! :p

10. i cannot contribute much, but I will definitely spread the word about this to other people!

11. Now it’s time for us to thank you S&M for giving us such nice and informative videos! :)
    Would totally donate as a thank you from me! Good luck and I’ll pray for you guys as well!

12. Yay!!!… Done!

13. PIC OF SIMON AND MARTINA CRYING FROM ALL THE FEELS:

14. I just saw the last count and we’re at $32,998! :D I’m proud to say that a part of that amount is my donation. Simon and Martina, you guys are awesome. I’m glad to be a part of this. :)

15. OMGAH SIMON AND MARTINA

WE DID IT
    WE DID IT NASTIES

THA FEEEEEEEEEEELZ/////////

16. I am so happy the fundraiser worked for you guys and it helped you stay longer in Korea. I need to make $20,000 to go back to school and stay in Japan, which has been my dream since 2011. But as Martina may know, jobs here in St John’s NL are not easily come by. Especially if you cannot drive. I hope one day to get that to go back to Japan to live the rest of my life there!! And hopefully meet Simon AND Martina, been with you guys for many years!!

17. and the time!!! for shoot+develop+sign+mail count that added to the involved costs of this ‘souvenir’

18. Hey, while I appreciate your vehement support, just thought I’d clear up a few points:
    – They already have the 100 grand that they needed for the visa, what they’re raising money for now is the studio, editor, and furniture.
    – They do spend a lot of money on Spudgy’s medication, but that’s not what they’re raising money for. We are not obligated to give money for that.
    – They started a diet to lose weight and become more fit, not to save money.
    – They actually enjoy investing their time and creativity into this job, so I don’t think it’s ‘unfair’ for them to use their savings if they find it necessary – but again, that is unrelated to this fundraising.
    – We are not donating towards their clothes, it’s the studio. Plus, they don’t wear the same clothes every video.
    – Meemers has milk. I’m pretty sure she’s not starving. The only reason she was suckling on ears was because of kitty habits.
    – They’re making polaroid photos as a sign of appreciation to those who donate, not vice versa. It’s not like they have to do it, and thus we have to fund their activity.

Now, after being a very mean person and shutting you down completely, I do agree with your last statement. People don’t have to donate, but it would be nice if they could spread the word, just in case there are people out there who would love to donate, given the chance.

I’m sorry Nes, the only reason I negated all your points is because I don’t like guilt-tripping people into donating. I believe that people should give if and only if they truly want to, out of the goodness of their heart, to support the cause that the money is being raised for.

19. All those cutesy kpop idol posses in all those cutesy kpop music videos were your training for this very Polaroid day. Channel your inner most BILASA!!!!

20. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~~!!!!!!!! WSJ!!! WSJJJJJJ!!!! o.O!!

21. Wow, seeing the donations continue to rise is really making me excited for this new studio. I can already see it becoming a top South Korean tourist attraction – putting Facebook/Google+/YouTube headquarters to shame!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anyhow, I came up with a crazy idea last night, while fantasising about this studio. Do you think, instead of sending boxes of sweets and junk food for fanmail – we could send studio decorations? Or just stuff to make the studio more intersesting? Like, tablecloths, paintings, sculptures, action figures, toys, board games, books, fan art, plates and cups – a bit like stuff you’d bring to a housewarming party/newly-wed gifts. I think it would be cool, because since you have fans from almost 200 different countries, it would end up looking a bit like a multicultural centre, representing the countries of various kpop fans. I have a batik map of Indonesia which would look really cool on the wall, for example. I also have plushies of random cells and body organs. Weird right?

That way, when kpop artists/Nasties come to the studio, they can look at random objects from various countries around the world. And if it’s kpop artists, perhaps they could even take home an object they fancy – after taking a photo with it, or something? It would be so cool if Epik High came to your studio and took a liking to something I sent….*spazzing* AAAAAHHHH so many ideas!!!!

I also liked the idea that someone else mentioned, about their mom working at a furniture shop. It would be really cool if, after raising the money for the studio, we could donate personalised things to fill it up with.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on how we can Nastify ‘The Nasty Studio’? xD

• LMAO!!!!! xD Hahahaha they can just drop it from Namsan tower or something, spread the love to all of Itaewon :p After all, who can resist the Meemers!!! But….how can you print on Velcro? Oh on the other side? Hmmm…..not bad :D

• This is the most amazing idea :D

• Yea I agree :)
      I was just thinking about this because
      – Fans are always wanting to send them fanmail
      – They’re getting too much junk food which they can’t eat because of their diet, but are way too loving and polite to refuse
      – So, just for the fans who really want to send something but aren’t sure what, I was trying to think of something else they could send instead of snacks
      – Even if we send them decorations, they can still choose what to do with it – put it in the studio, their own apartment, or stow it away in a treasure chest (?)
      – Sending stuff will save on buying stuff themselves, and they can keep the leftover money for rent and bills and furniture and editors (maybe?)

Well, those were my thoughts anyway, so thanks so much for your input, since you raise a really good point ^^

• My sister just recommended having different themes for each room – the rainbow/unicorn room, the romantic victorian room, the futuristic sci-fi room –
      Wait, how many rooms will your studio have? Will it be just another officetel?

22. Oh dear god no! Now almost paradise is playing in my head on repeat. Oh the humanity!

23. I think we can reach 100,000!

24. That’s awesome! I’m not sure how to bring furniture from Busan to Seoul, though! That’d be, like, almost the cost of the furniture itself, no?

25. Dear writer, do you want me to delete this? Or are you intentionally trying to stay anonymous?

26. I am so happy the fundraiser worked for you guys and it helped you stay longer in Korea. I need to make $20,000 to go back to school and stay in Japan, which has been my dream since 2011. But as Martina may know, jobs here in St John’s NL are not easily come by. Especially if you cannot drive. I hope one day to get that to go back to Japan to live the rest of my life there!! And hopefully meet Simon AND Marina, been with you guys for many years!!

27. You know what, a while back I was thinking about the same issue (finding official Japanese MVs for a Jpop Music Friday or something), so I made a list of all the official youtube channels of Japanese companies and artist. I don’t think I missed anyone, but if there is, feel free to fill me in ^^b

28. Whoa! You guys are going to hit the 6 figures!

29. They said they’d continue to film in their house, but do the editing and interviews in their studio :)

30. lol where is the Canary Islands? xD

• Hahaha really?!!! That’s hillarious!! Can you tell me a bit about it?

• If they do run away there, you can rest assured that they’ll make plenty of videos for us about Canary Island culture, food, and music :p

31. Almost 80 freaking thousand dollars now guise! :O Almost double the goal. I am sure you will reach close to 130,000 dollars by the end of the fundraiser :O

32. I love you guys so much. I never understood why I didn’t find you guys sooner. My twin and I will support you here from the states!!! Good luck!!! Maybe as a suggestion for the blooming company, have some expanding branches for other East asian countries! I would love to do some videos for EYK if I go back to China to study and I would do it for free just for the sake of bringing cultural awareness and understanding to the whole world!! By the We may send you something goodies if you guys don’t change your mailbox anytime soon. (things that you guys will really like :coughcoffee:!)

33. Wow! It’s the FIRST DAY and already you are well and above your goal!! Nice nice. I mean, you guys don’t charge for us to view your blogs (like some douchey sites do after a while) and you’re so good natured, it makes sense that everyone would be happy to donate! :-) Good luck guys! You’re going to make the dream come true! Get pumped!!

34. I guess I only every see positive comments. Or maybe my personality only allows me to see those. Ignore the nay sayers and Debbie downers. You two have worked incredibly hard to get where you are at today, to build the fan base that loves and supported you with this fundraiser. You guys took a risk that most are admittedly to afraid to take and succeeded. Nasties are proud of you guys! To anyone asking you for money I say start your own fund raiser and ask your own fans to donate. The nerve of some people.

35. Guys, PERKS cost money!!! Personal opinion, donate without perks!

36. looking forward to receiving the perks AND your new studio :) GO EYK! Make it forever.

37. Just read the brief, then went to contribute on Indiegog, and saw that the goal had been reached. Not bad for 1 day :)
    Never fear, I’m still going to contribute, just had to say CONGRATULATIONS first.
    Glad to see that people love you guys as much as I do :D

38. WE DIDI IT!!!!! OOOOOOHHHH WE SO NASSSSSTY!!!!!!!<3

39. YOU ALREADY RAISED THE MONEY! CONGRATS! :D

Guys, I’ve been watching your adventures since the beginning and it’s super inspiring. I’ll be buying some merch when I get paid (first paycheque as a teacher!) both to support you and HAVE NASTY MERCH and you can be sure I’ll keep watching. <3

40. I did send them a message through their Contact page here. I just hope they get it! Thanks for all the upvotes. Here’s hoping they see this or get the email.

• We got it, and we wrote back, to which you wrote back as well. Really looking forward to hearing what you have to say :D Yay!

• i smell an awesome future for simon and martina >u> .. .

• your message changed line right after Simon in my browser. For a second i thought you only smelled an awesome future for him :P

• If you eventually venture into stock or selling shares, let us nasties know… ^^ I already invest a couple of bucks in mutual funds, so why not invest in something I really believe in like EYK? Let us know if you IPO on KRX.. :P