Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. I love how the video says it starts September 7th and it’s like not that yet and it’s almost at 3/4 of the way to the goal already. :)
    PS: OMG DRAMA SEGMENT!!!! :D

2. looks like you will get that money by tomorrow or the day after :D

3. I wish I could donate, but I can’t! But I hope you can reach your goal!
    But I am a bit worried that once EYK becomes a real buisness, that it will stop being quirky and fun and become all serious and business-y D: (I always liked the Kitchen/Living room background, but maybe that’s because i’m used to it.) but I know it’s all for the best! Good luck! EYK FIGHTING~!

4. Done and done. Your fans love you (otherwise they would hardly be your fans), and I think it’s time to give back for all the hours and hours of fun and information you have brought us so far. :)

5. Nasties, maybe we should start an official fanclub and celebrate this day as the anniversery of EYK & Nasties for the many years to come that we shall spend together? Today we have showed the power of us oh-so-nasty fans and all the love and gratefulness we feel towards Simon and Martina (Spudgy & Meemers aswell) :D
    /Sincerly a bias-free very nasty.

6. Donating to you guys!~ Love you guys, can’t wait till you are all set up :) 화이팅!

Possibly will donate again later~

7. please wait for my payday because right now broke as hell and don’t you dare close it before the actual 45 days xd

8. you guys should use Kickstarter!!

9. A truly impressive output already, almost 30k in a few hours! I discovered your videos about a year ago after a lousy car accident and they were always a great way to relax, best luck in getting your studio you two, you deserve it.

10. Can I come work for EYK INC later? :) haha

11. As soon as i get my money I’ll donate!!!!!! After all you’ve done for US you deserve This^^

12. I’ve donated, I’m just sorry I couldn’t donate more. Good luck and I can’t wait to see you next videos! Thank you for making me laugh even on my toughest days!

13. Fighting ^_^! It would be fun to film for you xD!

14. Awh, I’d donate if I could, but I’m currently getting a new apartment too and I barely have enough for it. Once I get enough money though, I’ll buy a few of your t-shirts! Good luck you guys!

15. WOOOOO Im going to donate what i can when i get my paycheck this friday~!!!!!

16. I shall help you guise! Just need my money from work, which should be in on monday! <3

17. $26,531

18. I am so happy for you guys! Simon and Martina your quirkiness is refreshing! Even when you continue to expand EYK I hope you guys just keep on keepin’ on and just keep doing you! May EYK Inc be fruitful, may it bring joy to whoever comes across it and may you Simon and Martina feel fulfilled, satisfied and happy with this new era in your life!(Man it sucks being a student I wish I could contribute but I don’t have paypal or a credit or debit card)

19. This is how the internet should work. Seriously. You give us an amazing amount of entertainment for free with a few ads here and there, and then you just kindly ask for a donation after several long years.

My reply?

Fuck yeah. Sure. Here’s my $. Keep it up, can’t wait to see what’s in store.
    Also. Kittens. Ya. Internet…right here. Learn dear corporations, please learn, even us poor netizens are willing to shell out when it’s free and happy. There’s a revenue model for ya.

20. Hmm, according to the time zone converter I checked (guessing you guys posted your last vid before going to snooze), it’s about now Koreans would wake up/go to work… I wonder, what will be the first reaction Simon and Martina will have checking the donations while drinking coffee (just a scenery in my head).

In short, your fans are seriously dedicated, because you have reached over half your goal in less than 24h. That is seriously crazy!

• methinks they dont wake up so early haha what with their crazy schedules, i think they once said they usually wake up pretty late cos of how late they sleep, the best scenario would be them checking it and being like crap the sites wonky, it says goal reached already, that cant be…cant be. cant BE….omg we has monies now!!!

21. Oh man. I just lost my job and I’m broke! On the other hand, it means more time for watching your videos so I hope that at least I’ll double your income from youtube :D good luck! I was touched to see how many people contributed within the first three hours, those numbers is not only the money the fans give you, it’s love! :)

22. I’m just a student, but i’ve been watching your video for almost 3 years, and I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself if I hadn’t contributed at least a little bit :)
    And like you said, if everyone help, you’ll be able to do it !

Hope everything works out, but by the looks of it, I’m not worrying much^^

23. Wow we Nasties are a devoted lot huh, I don’t think you will need 45 days, (but who the heck donated $1000!!! now that is some dedication and love), we really appreciated all the fun and laughs you bring to our lives for free ;-) Fan from both the UK and tada Zambia!!

24. Guys I’m watching you over a year now and i’m very proud of you! I will donate on Friday when I’ll have money in my card!! But I think till tomorrow you will reach your goal! xD I hope your dreams come true! Seeing so many people supporting you, means that your efforts and the tired schedule did worth it!! Kisses and hugs from Greece!! xD

25. I was hoping I could go to BigBang´s concert in LA on November…..But EYK needs my help NOW, so BigBang can wait a little more!!!
    When I get my scholarship money, Im going to donate some of it :D

26. I will donate close to the end of this month when I get money! It’s looking like the goal will be surpassed by then though!! It makes me soooo unbelievably happy that you said drama segment. I will cry tears of joy when this happens. You guys are amazing! I hope everything works out!

27. Happy to donate, what are fan clubs for! Can I officially call myself a Nasty now?

28. I realllllyyy wish I could! But I’m 13 and my mumz doesnt trust the internet DD: I reallllly wanna help out :((

29. I donated $40. I really wish I could help you guys more but I don’t have the money so I might just send you stuff in the future (maybe cans of bright coloured paint? XD). I really hope this goes well for both of you and it makes me happy to think of what this means for EYK~ It’s going to be one of the highlights when I go to Seoul within the next 5 years!

30. This is the best fandom ever, nasties!!! ^^
    I’m only 15 years old, and I really don’t have any money, but I wanna do my best and donate as well! Good luck, EYK Inc!!!

31. this video’s only been up for three hours and already more than half of the $40,000 goal has been raised!!! WAY TO GO NASTIES!!!

32. that’s awesome i already helped by giving you guys views soooo
    xDD, super broke college student so hope you guys are able to fullfill your wishes

33. Please Please Please Please Please PLEASE don’t change…. Sure, add the new editors, and space.. but I’ll always love you guys doing videos in your kitchen, and geeky home made videos. Please don’t go full out professional like the other youtubers… I don’t want you guys to become sell outs… I love you♥

• Don’t worry. We thought long and hard about this. We’ll still be shooting our cheesy videos in unprofessional settings, but we’ll have the office space to shoot other videos and edit those videos as well. I can’t imagine Music Monday in front of a Green Screen!

• thank god *-* i was a little afraid you might change ><

• lol i like this idea! You guys should put a fake kitchen set up in your filming area.

• I really understand how you feel. My inner hipster is crying right now. lol. But you know what, SCREW MY INNER HIPSTER!!! Eat Your Kimchi, TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! You have my support!! MWahahahaha!!!

But yea I still love their good ol’ bloggity feel…..maybe they should build a kitchen in their studio….hmmm…..

• “bloggity” copyright fuuko4869 September of 2012

hey fuuko, I would love to meet you sometime too. Is it weird that i concider you to be a part of the EYK family, like a second cousin that’s at all the gatherings?

• Haha, feeling kinda embarrassed now (⌒_⌒;)
          I like the second cousin analogy, but I’m really just a random Nasty just like y’all, and I haven’t even met S&M. Also, I’m not the only mod here, Cari Cakes is also helping out, although I’m a lot more talkative than her (not always a good thing).
          That aside, I always dream of meeting other Nasties, since they’re all so lovely and intelligent. I went to my sister’s school for some random event the other day, and saw a boy there wearing the Batoost shirt. I tried my best to act like a good mature adult when my sister introduced him, but it was hard for me to not full on spazz out xD

On a side note, I looked up ‘bloggity’ after you mentioned it, and it doesn’t even exist on urban dictionary!! Although some people have thought of it before me. Hmm. Interesting. :D

• There will come a point where they wish they could still edit in bed without going out to the office lol

So happy they reached their goal!

• haha i agree, if they could set up their studio like their home(as in a fake set hahaha) it would be hilarious and very very lovely to watch

• What do you define as selling out? Everything and everyone changes.

• That’s so true. I never pictured them in front of a green screen before. I’ll miss the kitchen setting. Hopefully they’ll still make it feel homey even if it’s more professional.

34. I want to donate but I don’t have a creditcard or paypall T.T

35. $25 winging its way to you right now x

36. I actually feel kinda guilty because I use Adblock all the time :(
    To make it up I rushed to go get my credit card and hop on the fundraisingvan !!
    Much success you guys, you totally deserve it and I totally want to see more and better of you.

• If you click on the Adblock icon, you can opt to disable it on eatyourkimchi.com…

37. I had 5$ on my paypal account, sign from heaven or what? ;), so I’ve added a brick to the wall ;)

38. WOW! $24K+ and counting! I wish I can donate to you guys as well but I’m just a mere student with no money. ;~; Anyways, all the best to you, Simon & Martina! Hope you achieve your goal very very soon! EYK studio! WOOHOOO!!! :DDD

39. I REALLYYYYY wish i could donate. I don’t have a job yet, so i can’t D: I think by the time i get one, the fundraiser will be over… you guys get the money from the T-shirts, right? Like, just you? Cuz when i get money from my job, i am buying a lot of those… just sayin’. :3

40. I wish I had put my paycheck in the bank yesterday like I planned, but I’ll put it in tomorrow (don’t have time today) and donate on Friday!