Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. I love you guys! And I’m gonna donate by buying two shirts for me and my friend ^ ^ That way it’s more than $5 bucks and I know you’re getting the money straight from me! plus, I get an AWESOME MOMENTO OF YOUUUU! hehehehe (and I promise to come pick it up in person to save you shipping bwahahahahaaa) BROHOHO! BROHOHO!

2. hello i’m in the philippines & would like to help in my own little
    way, do still sell your t-shirts & possibly ship intly?

3. The page won’t load for me anymore =(

nvm the second link won’t work but the first one does.

4. S&M, just wanted to say – my boyfriend’s going to donate and buy one of your EYK t-shirts as well ! We’re gonna double on “EYK” and the “Viva La Spudgy” shirts ! That way, we can help you guys out even further AND walk down the street….
    EatYourKimchi Style. ;)

Oooooooooooh, we so NASTY~

5. What if I live in Korea and wanna donate money? I don’t have paypal over here.

• I don’t have a Korean credit card, and I can’t /don’t use my one from the States.

6. 44K, darling nasties! If they leave it until another 44 1/2 days, at this rate they probably could set up their own entertainment co and recruit their own kpop stars.

7. AH! Your already PAST your goal!!!!! YAY!!!!

8. Simon and Martina you guys provide me and hundreds of thousands of others with lots of laughter, info, Spudgy’s and Meemer’s. Us Nasty’s are grateful for everything you do with no expectations from us in return except our love. I believe I speak for all Nasty’s that it is an honor to help you guys fulfill your dream of growing Eat Your Kimchi and getting your studio off the ground. Seeing your goal met already shows the love we all have for you guys and I foresee that only growing more and more, just like the total in the next 44 days.

9. Just donated and I’m super exited to see you already reached your goal! I hope you get your video editor and Martina can talk about dramas. My inner fan-girl will squee!

10. when s&m check the amount raised thier going to flip lol

11. Wow…Congratz on already reaching your goal. I’ll be giving a lil, but, I have to wait till payday. The woes of being a responsible adult…sigh. LoL Way to go Nasties!

12. I did send them a message through their Contact page here. I just hope they get it! Thanks for all the upvotes. Here’s hoping they see this or get the email.

• We got it, and we wrote back, to which you wrote back as well. Really looking forward to hearing what you have to say :D Yay!

• If you eventually venture into stock or selling shares, let us nasties know… ^^ I already invest a couple of bucks in mutual funds, so why not invest in something I really believe in like EYK? Let us know if you IPO on KRX.. :P

• i smell an awesome future for simon and martina >u> .. .

• your message changed line right after Simon in my browser. For a second i thought you only smelled an awesome future for him :P

13. YOU ALREADY RAISED THE MONEY! CONGRATS! :D

Guys, I’ve been watching your adventures since the beginning and it’s super inspiring. I’ll be buying some merch when I get paid (first paycheque as a teacher!) both to support you and HAVE NASTY MERCH and you can be sure I’ll keep watching. <3

14. WE DIDI IT!!!!! OOOOOOHHHH WE SO NASSSSSTY!!!!!!!<3

15. Guys, PERKS cost money!!! Personal opinion, donate without perks!

16. Just read the brief, then went to contribute on Indiegog, and saw that the goal had been reached. Not bad for 1 day :)
    Never fear, I’m still going to contribute, just had to say CONGRATULATIONS first.
    Glad to see that people love you guys as much as I do :D

17. looking forward to receiving the perks AND your new studio :) GO EYK! Make it forever.

18. LOL!

• You know you’re with me ! Imagine what Nasties could do for that cause! Kill those unbearable ads while we’re at it.. Or hire a decent linguist for SM’s Engrish department… :P

• Totally with you! Anything to get rid of those damn boxes and give SuJu a chance to show their personalities in their MVs! Ugh, and the ads DEFINITELY have to go! Like now!!

I’d even offer myself up for the linguist position. I could edit the lyrics and be a dialect coach for the idols. It would be a huge burden spending all that time with so many attractive and talented men, but I’d do it for the sake of the music. ;)

• Oh, psshah! (Sounded like I said Xiah. xDDDD)
          Suuuuch a burden. Being surrounded by LeeteukSiwonDonghaeEunhyukRyeowookSungminKyuhyunShindongKanginYesungHeechulKibumHenry and Zhou Mi is soooo tiring. ;3

My bf and I are so dying for a “No Other”-esque MV from them again.. Like, what’s happened? I also propositioned S&M to do old K-Pop MV reviews, like in a flashback KMM or something, because after all the hype of SJ and SM in general boxy-dancy MVs, I’d really love to know what they think of SJ’s non-boxy videos like “Don’t! Don!” or “It’s You.” And I know other people are with me on this one !

They could just hire Simon to destroy the ads… He’s so baus at it, after all. xDDD

• Exactly, a huuuuuuge burden, especially if you add the boys from SHINee and EXO into the mix. I mean, what’s a girl to do with all that attractiveness surrounding her? Terrible situation, but I’m a real team player. ;)

Maybe once they hire a video editor S&M will have time to do something like flashback KMM. That would really be cool. They could pick the MVs they want to review, or nominate a few and let us vote or whatever. I love the MV for “It’s You.” It would be cool to see it reviewed. :D

In the mean time, maybe we should petition SM to free SuJu from the oddly lit boxes! LOL

19. :)

20. You guys raised so much so quickly! I’m so happy for you :D

21. $42,298 dollars raised O.O omg!!! :O

22. I’m so happy for you guys! I wish I could give you enough money in order to pay for two editors and a maid. Fighting!!

• Can you imagine Idol Maid with Simon and Martina? That would be an awesome segment if they do in fact get a maid…

23. I only have a little to donate (broke college student), but something is always better than nothing. I’m glad you guys surpassed your goal. Sure have some dedicated fans here ;3 Nasties forever<3 haha

24. Even though you passed your goal I’m still going to donate when I get the chance!

25. Congrats~~~~ You can get your studio~~~ I feel really happy for the eatyourkimchi family~ I love your shows and I’m glad fans could repay you for the good times you give us!

26. It’s already $41,499 by now!!!!!!! *O* EYK INC is coming trrruuuuue!!!! OHH YOU OSM NASTIES *bows*

27. IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! Can’t wait to see how this all works out. Who is going to decorate the studio? More importantly, will there be bean bag chairs for conducting interviews? I think that would be perfect.

28. OMGAH SIMON AND MARTINA

WE DID IT
    WE DID IT NASTIES

THA FEEEEEEEEEEELZ/////////

29. Please open the Care Package option again. I already donated, but I will definitely donate more for that PACKAGE. I love you guise so much!

30. Goal Reached! crazy awesome Nasties!

31. $40,000 yay!!!!!

32. Ana

8 Hours. 8 Hours is all it took to reach the 40,000 dollar goal. What amazing Nasties Simon and Martina have. I’m so happy to see people come together like this to support them.

33. Congratulations, GOAL reached.

34. I hope being a business comes with some cheap postage perks…. There’s going to be a lot of CD’s, pictures and autographs to send.

35. Holy s***!!! You guys almost have all the money already. I plan on donating but I’m going to wait until my next paycheck just to see how much I can give ^^

36. Keep it going. Lets get them their assistant and some rent!

37. NASTIES ROCK!! GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!!!!!

38. Okay, so they have their $40,000, now let’s chip in for rent! :D The video said $40,000+$3,000 a month for rent!

39. I donated a bit even though I’m a broke college student now…but wow!!! Over $40000+ already within a day?! Amazing!!! I love Eatyourkimchi! :)

40. Wow, already hit $40,000! congrats!