Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

September 6, 2012

Comments

Hey guise. Serious stuff here. Sorry for not putting up a fun or informative video today, because today we’re asking for your help, and starting a fundraiser

As some of you may know, we’re doing this blogging thing full time now. We started off blogging as teachers. Then Simon stopped teaching and worked on the site, and then, last year, Martina stopped teaching and worked on the site as well. We posted a TL;DR on it a while ago, and talked a bit about it in our interview with Groove as well.

Anyhow, we had a bit of a problem that we’ve been trying to work out for the past year: we don’t have Visas in Korea, since we’re not teaching. Currently we’re here on tourist visa’s which are indeed totally legal, but we’ve spent all our time since quitting teaching looking into how we can work in Korea and get a stable visa. We tried getting Entertainment visas, since we’re kinda entertainers, but those visas couldn’t be got without a company to sponsor us. And there’s no company to hire us for a business visa either, be it government or private.

Don’t get us wrong: we’re not complaining about not being hired by another company. We want to remain Indie and keep our voices. We don’t want our opinions to be influenced by our employers, so we work for ourselves. But, without a Korean employer, we can’t stay in Korea…unless we became our own employers!

So, after a year of trying to figure this out, we’re finally in the process now of setting up our Business registration in Korea, so that no one would own our site and videos, AND so that we could stay in Korea. Huzzah! Problem is, Korea doesn’t just hand out Business Visas to foreigners. In fact, setting up a private business here is very expensive. Specifically, you need $100,000 to do so. GARHRHHHH!

We spent this whole year saving the money and dipping into our savings, but we finally did it! YES! We’re setting everything up now to make “Eat Your Kimchi Incorporated!” EYK INC! Huzzah! But, that doesn’t solve everything yet:

We have to move into Seoul, if we want to register our business in Seoul, which is what we’re doing with a big portion of that money. Tomorrow, we’re going apartment hunting around the Hongdae and Mokdong areas. Yay! Problem is, apartments in Seoul are significantly more expensive than the apartments in Bucheon. Most of our money is going into putting down the deposit for this apartment.

Anyhow, the point of this all isn’t to complain. We’re doing this of our own will and we’re super excited about this change. We’re happy that we are taking steps towards doing more because we want Eatyourkimchi to grow and improve. What we’re asking for is your help in taking this to the next level.

Basically, we want to set up a studio. We’ve got many reasons for this, which we listed in the video. Major ones include:

a) Our apartment is overrun with equipment, and it feels like we’re more sleeping in our office than living in our home.
b) We want to have Kpop artists come over for interviews. We’re in contact with different labels who want to do work with us, but we have no legitimate place to do it. A studio would fix that, and it would make this legit, and give us more opportunity to interview people.
c) We desperately want to hire a full time video editor. We work over 70 hours a week, and work every day of the week. There isn’t a moment that we’re not working on or talking about the site and our videos. Having an editor would let us sleep! OH GOD! GLORIOUS SLEEP!
d) With the video editor, we’d also have time to do the other segments we want to do, but don’t have time to edit. We have a white board full of ideas that we can’t start because we’re too bogged down with editing. Editing is really 80% of our time. There are, in fact, opportunities that we have to TURN DOWN because we don’t have time. AWESOME INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES that we can’t make videos for, because we’re too busy trying to make our other videos. THE EDITOR WOULD HELP SOOO MUCH!

Really, we’re trying to make Eat Your Kimchi legit. We’re just two dorks who make silly videos. We want to have our own business so that we can keep that dorkiness and silliness, but we want to grow Eat Your Kimchi into something bigger as well, a legitimate spot for the international Kpop crowd to gather and make their voices heard and have their opinions expressed. We want to not only make Korea more accessible to the outside world, but we want to make the outside world more accessible to Korea, and – really – with just the two of us in our apartment, it’s proving to be a bit exhausting and tough.

So, we’re asking for your help to let us take the next steps. We’re starting a fundraiser at Indiegogo to raise $40,000 within 45 days. With $40,000 we can put down the deposit for renting the studio. We’d be ecstatic if we are able to raise that much. We’ve got over 200,000 subscribers on YouTube: if just one in five of you gave a dollar, we’d be there! If we’re fortunate enough to raise more, we’d be able to put some furniture in the studio, for starters, and a video editor!!! Whatever you can contribute we’ll greatly appreciate, and whoever you can share this with we’ll greatly value. Sorry, all you Nasties, for asking for your help on this, but we could really use it here. And if we can reach this goal, then good things will happen in the future. Good things!

ps-> Also, you might have noticed our regular videos have been off schedule lately. We’ve been meeting with the bank, and immigration, and lawyers, and relators (etc) to get this started, so that’s thrown our schedules out of whack. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon, once we have this all settled :D

Comments

Special Features

Help Eatyourkimchi: The Fundraiser

1. its almost 20,000 in under 24 hours, way to go nasties! high fives all around !!!

2. all I could do was the 5 bucks in my paypal account, but i’d love to see what you guys can do with all of the money!

3. I left $5, Sorry it’s all I had! Hope you raise your goal and beyond! Xx

4. Unfortunately I’m currently broke and between jobs, but my last job payment comes in on the 12th so expect payment then! I ‘d love to get an evening with you but I get paid less than that a month. :(

5. i keep reloading the page to see how much it has gone up, at this rate, by this time tomorrow, u guys will have met your goal :) man i feel so proud !!!

6. OMG GUISE, THEY ARE ALREADY HALFWAY TO THE GOAL!

7. I should be able to give this week, I hope my little bit helps!!! I love EYK

8. Wow, it’s so touching! 20k in about an hour!
    Doubt you guys saw this coming, but you deserve it!
    Just donated 40$!

Keep up the good work!

9. wow!!!!!! you guys got so much so quickly!! so cool!!!
    i’ll be getting money soon!!
    i’ll donate then!!

10. Watch them make another video in tears when they realize how much has happened in so little time :P . Best wishes to you, Simon, Martina, Spudgy and Meemers!

11. Please have more “Care packages” !!!

I wanted to get those but they are already sold out. I’m sure there are many other people who want to get those too !!!

and its a awesome profit for both of us :)

12. Simon and Martina,

I’m a business professor (seriously). I’d love to talk to you. I’m going to donate, but honestly, I’d rather INVEST in your company rather than threw a few bills your way.

How can we connect?

• Feeling a little bit sad, because I’m not a business professor and thus all I can do is ‘throw a few bills their way’. :(

• You can also tweet them, maybe there’s a chance they will read it too! Just a thought :)

13. YOU GUYS ARE AT 22,760!!!!!

14. I am a teenager… I am afraid I can’t help D:
    but you guys are so going to get this!!
    I say thanks to all those who are able to help, because I love EYK

15. OMG I see you guys having your own show in a few years! lol that would be so cool! I’m sooo excited! and as a die-hard Nasty I want to help you guys! and a studio is suuuch a good idea~ totally anticipating it! although I’m kinda sad, because the apartment was kinda part of the videos’ charm~ but yeah! Seoul! that means more WANK’s around the capital? :D

16. I follow you since you started, then 100$ sent!^^

17. i’ve been watch for about 2 years so of course i’m gonna help out. done and done. wow indiegogo is easy to use.

i hope you guys got the coffee and other things i sent you. give a shout if you see this.

18. Over $20,000 in a few hours. Screw 45 days left, you will more than reach your goal today.

19. What program do you guys use to make your art? Like the thumbnail

20. Already halfway!!!! You guys are so great, you actually gave me the idea of becoming a French teacher abroad! (I’m studying for it right now^^) and I’m soooo greatful for that! Good luck with the fundraising!

21. WOW! they reached half their goal in one day! I’m so happy for them, they really deserve it. btw does anyone know where they got that picture drawn, the one that u c b4 u start the video?

22. More than halfway in 2 hours! I wanna say I’m surprised, but I’m not! I don’t know why you guys still don’t get why we all find you so entertaining!

23. Wow (Fantastic Baby), you guise have almost $20,000!!! Half Way!! An hour ago I checked and it was $15,364!! Nasties are the best!! WE LOVE YOU, SIMON AND MARTINA!! I wish I was old enough to earn money, so I could give you a lot. :(

24. i will give you as much as i can when i get paid, don’t you worry,
    선생님(s)! us Nasties are here for you! CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEW APARTMENT AND OFFICE!!! ooh, will you give us tours of both? :D that would be cool :D

25. WOW! 20.5k (and going up) on the first day! Can’t wait to see what it’ll look like after the 45 days! XD We Love you EYK!!

26. In a week, I’ll get money and donate it for you guys!

27. I really look forward to your amazing work, I also sended you my small contribution. Normally I don’t like spending money, but I definitely feel like wOw, fanstatic baby about this one. ^^b

28. Could you add more “Care package” perks ? I REALLY wanted one but they’re all out. TT-TT