Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

June 5, 2014

Comments

First off, let’s start by saying thanks to Boyfriend for being such great sports. Their new video is really quite cool and has an interesting take on the Peter Pan story. Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet!

As for this video we shot, we know it’s a bit random, but it’s something we had a lot of fun doing. We hope you liked it as well. Woohoo!

For a bit of backstory, we’re on pretty good terms with Starship Entertainment. They’ve got good people working there. We did an interview with Sistar a long time ago, and we also did a video with K.Will last year, and then Boyfriend gave an acceptance speech at our Eatyourkimchi Awards for winning Aegyo of the year.

For Boyfriend’s comeback, we all wanted to do something together, but we knew that everyone’s schedules are pretty crazy. We’re in an out of this and that country, as are Boyfriend. So how could we shoot something fun without taking too much of everyone’s time? This seemed like a winner to us!

And they were not only totally game for the idea, and also very fun and energetic in the video, but they were also surprised at how fast it was. When we were done filming they were like “really? That’s it?” Yep. It was 6 minutes of filming. BOOYA!

You might be wondering why we like doing silly skits instead of longform sit down interviews. I don’t really think we’re thaaaaaat into interviews anymore. If we had the choice, we’d rather to something silly and fun. We’re really inspired by Jimmy Fallon’s skits, in which Tom Cruise pounds eggs on his head while Jason Statham gets glasses of water thrown at him. Those are fun! They show the celebrity’s personality, and doesn’t make them answer all of the questions they’ve been asked a bagillion times over. I’m glad Starship was down for not only something this fun, but also for being comfortable with something non-traditional (which we’ve had rejected by other companies before).

Boyfriend Signed CD Giveaway!

Another big thanks to Boyfriend and Starship for the CDs, which we will, of course, be giving out to you guise! If you want to win, here’s what you gotta do!

YouTube

To win on YouTube, first make sure you’re subscribed to us, because we’re only picking subscribers, and then head on over to our video and let us know in the comments what your favorite part of Boyfriend’s video was. It’s a very different take from their other videos. Let us know what you think!

Facebook

To win on Facebook, first make sure that you’ve liked our page, then answer the same question in the contest thread linked below!

Twitter

To win on Twitter, make sure you’re following us on Twitter, and then click on this to retweet. It’s that easy! Booya!

Premium Nasties!

For those of you who don’t know, we’ve recently rolled out our Premium Nasty program. We’re really honored by all the support, so we want to give something back. If you’ve got a Nasty Badge, just answer the same question in the comments below. We’ll pick one Premium Nasty as a winner. Woohoo! Your odds of winning in this category are a lot higher than, say, Facebook or Twitter, where we have 150-300k followers, while the Premium Nasty number is a lot smaller than that. Much higher chances of winning!

And, on a silly note, here are some bloopers from the video. You’ll also see Martina’s and Soo Zee’s storyboard for the video. Shooting a quick video like this makes it easier for companies to understand what we’re trying to shoot. Point is, Soo Zee does a great Boyfriend impersonation. Check it out!

And, lastly, don’t forget to click on this pretty button below right here to subscribe for more of the silly collaborations we have in the works. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

Comments

Special Features

Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

1. This was so cute and fun! I’m so glad Starship is totally ok with videos like this!
    ^_^

2. I like this video plus I am a huge
    fan of the band boyfriend this is the best one plus I like their new concept is is owsome.

3. I looooove their tattoos. New fetish. don’t judge me. I’m a nasty. ;)

4. i love the awesome bookcase. it’s portal to another world. kekeke

5. I…I just gotta say…Simon, how long does it take you to go!?!? TOO LONG MISTER!

6. My favorite part of the music videos were the parts with the book tunnels. As an avid book nerd, books are my life. The book tunnel was a very creative scene and I kind of want a book tunnel myself. It’s also something that I have never seen before and caught my eye every single time it flashed to the books.

7. my favorite part of the video was when they didn’t have money and they were like “credit card” (in a questionable voice). I thought that was really funny. aja aja fighting :)

8. My favorite part of Boyfriend’s music video were the scenes where they mirrored the group dancing on top of each other. I’ve been a huge fan of Boyfriend since their debut, they were my first kpop group ever and my favorite one to this day, and they still continue to surprise me. Their music videos are always so well done and that scene really added to the edgy-ness and unique-ness of the video. I’ve really never seen it done before. It made it possible to see all of the awesome outfits they were wearing and the amazing choreography. It added a cool touch to the mv. Overall this was a really fantastic concept and I love Boyfriend so much! Thank you so much for doing this and I hope you consider me to receive their signed album!

9. You are all so cute! xP
    Big thanks to starship and boyfriend for bringing us something new and exciting!!! ^^

10. I’m not knowledgeable of the details in Peter Pan. If I sound like I don’t know what I’m talking about, it is because I don’t. 8^O
    My favorite part of the video was the story. I enjoyed their take on how the character had become Hook. The moment the Hook was shown I was like, “Dude(referring to the Peter character), you don’t even know what you have created.”
    Although it was dramatic and junk, I found it to be a little silly. It was like, “If I can’t have her, no one will!” *BOOM* Whoa bro! I know you don’t have a solid grasp of reality but that was extreme. Any-hoo,twas an interesting video to watch. Boop.

11. My favourite part of Boyfriends Mv would probably be the veeeeeery end with Donghyun putting on the hook. It makes the whole mv seem like a little back story of the history between Captain Hook and his crew and Peter Pan, and with this version I am definitely team Hook :’D
    The book case tunnel was pretty cool too ^^
    (Side note: Martina I applaud you! Im not sure how you kept so calm while being in such an enclosed space with Boyfriend ~(˘▾˘~) )

12. I absolutely adore Boyfriend, i loved how they reworked the peter pan concept. Also the choreography was amazing and i loved the song. I really love seeing this side of Boyfriend, i love their cute concepts but this was very refreshing.

13. Excuse me, I just want to make sure that Boyfriend’s video means their MV or Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend ?

14. Boyfriends back <3
    And with a peter pan/ bad boy comeback. I know many people are surprised but as a best friend boyfriend have said that they wish to show many sides of how a good boyfriend should be and this may just be one of them. I am not disappointed at all!
    First of all the MV is totally my kind of favorite, not just a dance but also with a story line to with it as well. Im ashamed to say i cried so much…soo much actually that my roommate here in college regrets not filming me. But hey you know your a true fan when your favorite band has a comeback and you cry and scream so much that your neighbors go to your door .-. oops XD. Anyways my favorite part of the MV has to be the ending. When the boys see peter pan get the girl and all of a sudden KABOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!! I mean common she exploded :o!!! how crazy was that!!!! It was totally out there to see something like that and it took me by surprise but it makes sense, with that explosion and the girl gone thats how captain hook became to be and why he hates peter pan which shows at the end when donghyun has the hook in his arm. I was like OOMMGMGGG!!! O.O!!!! Bloody brilliant!!! I have to say this is one of my favorite comebacks along with love style. Ive been a best friend since the beginning and it would be amazing to win this album plus it feels like it has been forever!!! Which really it has i mean common 1 year and 5 months? Not counting the Japanese promotions of coarse :p
    BOYFRIEND FIGHTING!!

15. Oh man do I have to pick a favourite part? The entire video was awesome! I was so happy that they’ve moved to a tougher image though (like you Martina, I don’t really go for the cutie boy stuff) and the chorus has me hooked! This is going to be playing around in my head for the next week XD
    and my favourite part of your video has gotta be them asking “card? you take card???” I dunno why but I laughed myself a six-pack when i heard that!

16. Hot chocolate video was funny! This MV was totally different than the last one I saw, the aegyo one. Love the dance and the song!

17. My favorite part of the video is when Donghyun puts the hook on because that’s when I was like.. “oh………………….OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! CAPTAIN HOOK AND THE PETER PAN BOOK AND OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” & I want their library with a cushion that looks just like the other walls so I can dive in and scare people before I read.

18. I liked this image change for Boyfriend. While it’s nice to see some aegyo sometimes, which they definitely have the faces for, it is nice to see their image toughened up in this video. I think it suits them really well.
    I must say though, I loved the hexagon shaped library! Talk about awesome!!!! I love to read and have tons of books, so I would totally dig having that.
    I also liked the fact that only once of the boys had the girl, not the entire group. Well, that is what I have to say. Loved the cute video you did with them. Too bad you couldn’t really have some hot chocolate.

19. My favorite part of the music video was when Kwangmin was like “You don’t even know what to say no more!” hehe His English was so adorable & I loved his shirt because it looked like it had like a cape/wings looking thing on it lol (YOU’RE NOT A BAT GIRL LOL)

20. XD Trying to freeload.
    But I really love the concept. The video is just as bombastic as the song, and the whole twist on the original story was amazing. FULL SUPPORT. :3

21. XD Trying to freeload.

22. Best image update I have seen for a while. They were rocking it!

My favorite part of the video is the tunnel of books. I want one very badly. A close second is the part of the dance where there is a mirrored copy of them dancing above them. It was a really neat effect.

23. I really like the tunnel of books. That was, by far, one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. If I ever get a house with a hexagonal hallway, now I know what I’m doing with it. :D

24. The video had me at the bookcase tunnel. WANT.

(Actually, the song’s pretty catchy and totally not what I was expecting to hear, in a good way!)

25. My favorite part of it was when Martina was taking “Hot Chocolate” with the guys, it was pretty natural and not forced. Very good acting, it didn’t felt like a skit, it felt more like a day with friends having a good time together without the pressure of being an “idol”.

26. As for the music video. I really liked all the parts eith the bookselves. Whene they where all walking through it I wonderd how they had made that set… had they used mirror ( which seems unlikely) or had they used fake books and atatched them on the bookself.

• they just printed bookbacks (is that what you call the back of a book?) and pasted them on the wall (in many cases not even very well). On a sidenote, they didn’t have quite enough different titles :) theres a lot of the same books in that case.

27. I love it! They seem like they would be so fun to hang out with.

28. Hmm…I really liked the part where they started thinking if they should give their signed albums as a payment because it looked the most natural part of this video. I really liked that part. The whole video vas a lot of fun. I was literally open mouthed when I saw the video update in youtube. Amazing. I wish it was longer… :D

29. The whole music video was sooo awesome from the dancing, to the concept, to the music itself. If I had to pick, I would say my favorite part of the music video was the close head shots where the members were making some pretty nice faces. ;D

• I can’t believe I forgot to mention.. the rapping (SO sexy; I love the maknae line!) was also AMAZING!! I like that not only is the concept different from everything else they’ve done before but even the music/singing style is different. It’s got a really cool rock edge to their voices, but it makes me wonder if it’s kind of straining on their vocal cords..

30. I wish this video was longer too lol. You guys should do fun stuff with groups more often :D Wish you could do fun stuff with SHINee to make up for what happened before, but let’s face it SM would never be cool like that :(

31. Oh no! This is a paragraph… but oh well. I can’t help but indulge in some analysis. Here goes:
    I loved this video. Honestly, I’m not just trying to get a Boyfriend CD (even though I really want one!!!) It’s rare to see such a refreshing video in K-pop. There are too many close-up shots of pining bands staring morosely off into distant lens flares. While the video has many strong points (I admire teens who can so readily abandon a game a billiards in favor of a book, or who can sport neck tattoos with so much… flair), I absolutely LOVED the book tunnel idea. This is not only because it looked cool which, let’s face it, is probably why it was included by the video’s director, but because it adds a certain level of ambiguity to the video. You could be a pessimist (I’m decidedly not, but I’m just saying, you COULD be) and say that that “ambiguity” is just the video’s poor editing shining through, but I really believe that Boyfriend, and “1theK” are on to something, because this video raises a lot of questions: is Wendy just a girl who has happened upon “Peter Pan” and is she imagining her encounter with the Lost Boys/Boyfriend? Is she trapped in the real world, and Boyfriend is studying up to get her back? Are we witnessing the birth of a new “Hook” as boyfriend realizes that Wendy is gone? To me, the book tunnel signifies a link between the real world and that which Boyfriend is trapped in, a sort of reimagined “Neverland.” It’s a refreshing take, and (in my opinion) even better than Boyfriend’s, I’ll admit, convincing Aegyo. Thanks!

32. My favorite part was when the girl blew up. I somehow completely missed the plot the first time watching and was very surprised by the sudden explosion, haha. I really did like the song and video and it was an interesting style change. Very different from the image in my head where I still see them wearing those beautiful floral suits.

33. My favorite part of the vid was actually the scenes where I got to see the choreography. They have really improved and those light up chairs were awesome. Oh and there were abs too which I am not complaining about lol

34. I love the first seconds of the video when the female character is taking the book of the bookshelf. The reason is that they got a really bad librarian! Is it possibly to classify a story book with the “Journal of the Environmental Engineering Division”, “The Cocaine Wars” and a book about superconductivity? Only Manfriend knows.

35. haha — I saw the behind the scenes — they are so charismatic -. That attitude of sencibles innocent, tender, and a little clumsy .. makes them unique .. make me laugh With Their actions and occurrences .. – – Peak Gust are adore by the jo twins always say they want to be men – but I. .. . did not want to leave your sweet and tender side with the fans … – I like it too chivalrous, but do not stop all … the boyfriend I met .. 3

36. woahh boyfriend – really see the change since their debut … – there were so tender – that they like me much – but his new look … I also like look so cool — your song is very sticky — now I also like alarm .. they recorded were touring as a USA — I think? – Well the teaser start was a little confused until I saw peter pan .. there already had the idea of the story … and I can say that this song is one of the best boyfriend … me favorite part is the choir .. there is a perfect combination … there’s all – for me

37. Maybe I should watch more kpop videos because I’m not entirely sure whats happening in the video :S

I did quite like the twist at the end though!

38. My favorite parts of the new video were the ones shot in that book hexagon thing and the parts where they dance in the basement

39. My favorite part of Boyfriend’s video is when the boys were going to confront Peter Pan, brought the bomb out and got reunited with the girl they loved before Peter Pan came and ruined everything. I really like it because the song is about their feelings about the incident and the video clearly shows how helpless the boys were in protecting the girl. Also, it was ironic how Peter Pan used the bomb that they brought to kill her, which further emphasizes on their despair. It comes out very strong to me and this scenes illustrates their emotions very well.
    On top of that, Peter Pan was one of my favorite story as a child and this video changed my view of Peter Pan, forever. I never thought that he could be a bad guy. How the video links its different parts to Peter Pan was also really cool and I love this concept.

40. Annyeonghaseyo S&M! My favorite part may just be the beginning when the female protagonist opens the Peter and Wendy book. The guys hair cut and their clothing shows off more of the edgy side of them which is great. This video is definitely different with the one I loved for so long Boyfriend-Boyfriend. It shows more of them becoming men to me because of the story they are trying to tell us. Like if the story plot was Wendy (the female protagonist) is in love with Peter but they see Peter in a different light from her. And of course the plot twist…..the explosion scene Ohh 3 way love songs to me are the best. So much to think about. In this case its more than a 3 way love. btw The MIN twins……grasp/faint~~~~~~