Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

June 5, 2014

Comments

First off, let’s start by saying thanks to Boyfriend for being such great sports. Their new video is really quite cool and has an interesting take on the Peter Pan story. Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet!

As for this video we shot, we know it’s a bit random, but it’s something we had a lot of fun doing. We hope you liked it as well. Woohoo!

For a bit of backstory, we’re on pretty good terms with Starship Entertainment. They’ve got good people working there. We did an interview with Sistar a long time ago, and we also did a video with K.Will last year, and then Boyfriend gave an acceptance speech at our Eatyourkimchi Awards for winning Aegyo of the year.

For Boyfriend’s comeback, we all wanted to do something together, but we knew that everyone’s schedules are pretty crazy. We’re in an out of this and that country, as are Boyfriend. So how could we shoot something fun without taking too much of everyone’s time? This seemed like a winner to us!

And they were not only totally game for the idea, and also very fun and energetic in the video, but they were also surprised at how fast it was. When we were done filming they were like “really? That’s it?” Yep. It was 6 minutes of filming. BOOYA!

You might be wondering why we like doing silly skits instead of longform sit down interviews. I don’t really think we’re thaaaaaat into interviews anymore. If we had the choice, we’d rather to something silly and fun. We’re really inspired by Jimmy Fallon’s skits, in which Tom Cruise pounds eggs on his head while Jason Statham gets glasses of water thrown at him. Those are fun! They show the celebrity’s personality, and doesn’t make them answer all of the questions they’ve been asked a bagillion times over. I’m glad Starship was down for not only something this fun, but also for being comfortable with something non-traditional (which we’ve had rejected by other companies before).

Boyfriend Signed CD Giveaway!

Another big thanks to Boyfriend and Starship for the CDs, which we will, of course, be giving out to you guise! If you want to win, here’s what you gotta do!

YouTube

To win on YouTube, first make sure you’re subscribed to us, because we’re only picking subscribers, and then head on over to our video and let us know in the comments what your favorite part of Boyfriend’s video was. It’s a very different take from their other videos. Let us know what you think!

Facebook

To win on Facebook, first make sure that you’ve liked our page, then answer the same question in the contest thread linked below!

Twitter

To win on Twitter, make sure you’re following us on Twitter, and then click on this to retweet. It’s that easy! Booya!

Premium Nasties!

For those of you who don’t know, we’ve recently rolled out our Premium Nasty program. We’re really honored by all the support, so we want to give something back. If you’ve got a Nasty Badge, just answer the same question in the comments below. We’ll pick one Premium Nasty as a winner. Woohoo! Your odds of winning in this category are a lot higher than, say, Facebook or Twitter, where we have 150-300k followers, while the Premium Nasty number is a lot smaller than that. Much higher chances of winning!

And, on a silly note, here are some bloopers from the video. You’ll also see Martina’s and Soo Zee’s storyboard for the video. Shooting a quick video like this makes it easier for companies to understand what we’re trying to shoot. Point is, Soo Zee does a great Boyfriend impersonation. Check it out!

And, lastly, don’t forget to click on this pretty button below right here to subscribe for more of the silly collaborations we have in the works. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

Comments

Special Features

Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

1. this is gonna sound weird, but my favorite thing about the videos were the books :o xD I thought they were beautiful and the writing was really pretty :) I also really liked that spinning tunnel thingy full of books aswell xD I don’t really know what to call it, seemed to me like a spinning library xD

2. First,I wanna say I really like the new comment section,so first time commmenting like this…My favourite part(like many others) is the library and their new concept,they seem more mature now.I hope u can do more fun things like this,but also combined with a small interview( some sort of funny questions or games ).I kinda felt, (I know this time, you didn´t have so much time)it was too short,i like to see the group(Any group) reactions(at strange,silly questions,) and interaction with u guise( like u did with Eric Nam).Also,if u have the chance ,why not make something like this with actors and other T.V.celebrities and not only..Maybe a section just for actors and dramas.. LOVE and Greetings from (a croatian)living in Germany..

3. Its so difficult to choose my favorite moment of the MV but I have to say generally any scene in the Hexagon of bookshelves I don’t know why but I just love how it looks with them standing on it.

4. My favorite part of the MV was the stools that light up when they were stepping on it. It made me think how nice it would be to have one of them but then also thinking of the costs for electricity and how it would be powered

5. My Favorite part of MV was the spinning book tunnel, it made me think of Alice in Wonderland and the trip down the “rabbit hole”. This was my first time watching a Boyfriend MV as I’m more of a BTS fan. But I’m going to look at some of their other stuff now.

6. My favourite part of Boyfriend’s video was the story. I liked the use of a Disney fairy tale which made it different. I’m glad that the director changed it up from other typical romance music videos. I think the actress who played Wendy really fit the role. I also really like the new concept. It’s nice to see that they’re trying out concepts that really show that they are growing up and becoming more mature. From the costumes to the music video, Boyfriend shows a different side of them and it was great!

7. I like Hyunseong’s gesture at 0:21 in the MV. It’s both tempting and patronizing, telling me, “I DARE you to hear our story.” Beginnings of Kpop MVs tend to be filled with sexy shots introducing each member and his/her new look, as well as the set and its important pieces, but not a lot do a good job. Objects and sexy stares emphasized in many a Kpop MV’s beginning go on to carry minimal importance in the MV’s plot. But here, Hyunseong pulls a subtle SunnyHill by saying, “I DO have a story to tell you today, and you’re not going to like all of it.” Little moments like this in Kpop MVs, combined with good acting (ensured when the band actually knows what the MV is about), mean a lot to me.

8. Fun skit. Especially since the car didn’t move. Next time have everyone move up in down in the car while nothing outside the windows moves. Its like extra cheese

9. I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way, but I love alternative universes. I think we’ve seen people really like the Captain Hook character. I love that we get to see here an alternative universe where Captain Hook is really a good guy, and Peter Pan is evil. So interesting! Plus, if Captain Hook was that gorgeous, how could you not love him? :D

10. my favorite part was either the choreography with the uhh not sure what they were.. light up stools?? idk but i really liked it haha. either that part or the parts with that hexagon library shelves thing that looked pretty awesome ^_^

11. That library. Seriously. Anyone who’s watched Disney’s take on Beauty and the Beast knows that a big ass library is the way to a girl’s heart!

12. Favorite part of the video? Hmmmmm, what part could the person getting a Masters of Library and Information Science really REALLY like? Maybe…..the opening with THE AMAZING HEXAGON BOOKS SHELF WITH ALL THE BOOKS!!!! Seriously. Want that. Right now. Nerd-gasm.

13. My favorite part of the music video had to be the concept. The concept seems more mature to me this time around. I love the whole i’m grown and a bad boy but not really feel. I Like they have grown up and their skills have improved a ton. The song is also super catchy and got to love their dance!! Oh and i loved the book shelve at the beginning i need one of those for my room!

14. My favorite part of the New MV of Boyfriend is that they took one of my favorite childhood stories into something new and different. And I really liked it! There new concept was so different that I love it! It suits them! For some reason I find this story of Peter Pan a bit more better than the original. ^^’ I especially loved that circle book thingy lol XD I especially love the 3Min they are pretty amazing! Gosh there is so much that i love about boyfriend! Hope they comeback to TEXAS!! <3

15. I realy liked the Umleitung sing its German for diversion. I think ist cute because they wanted to show us that Boyfriend took a new direction.

16. I really like how Boyfriend managed to adapt to a such a different concept; it proves that they can be versatile both musically and stylistically.

I was impressed by how Donghyun was able to alter his singing voice to create that unique sound that matched the song. Minwoo and and Kwangmin’s rapping parts fit in seamlessly into the song, and the English parts were pretty decent. Hyunseong seemed to be more comfortable with filming in this music video, as compared to their first music video, where he only got a few solo shots, and even then they were pretty short.

The group has really changed a lot (for the better), and I’m glad that they’re maturing into talented artists in the music industry.

17. My favourite part is the random “Umleitung” sign (German for “detour/diversion route”). I don’t know why K-Pop MV directors love putting unrelated German street signs into their set-ups, but it never fails to amuse me. ^^

18. My favorite part was the spinning book room but I kept expecting at least one book fall of the shelves. Also like the new interpretation of Captain Hook’s back story and what his treasure really was.

19. LMAO i love this skit, i love every single youngmin’s english words xD i think they should do this a lot and next time PLEASE BRING DONGHYUN, HYUNSEONG, AND JEONGMIN’S OUT!! XD I MISS THEM SO BADLY ><

• P.s : jeongmin is so cheesy LOL prepared yourself if you meet him xD

• And it’s pretty cold too here, if you can send me a cup of hot chocolate along with the signed album…….

20. I sometimes freelance as a photography assistant where I’m a stand in for a lot of shots while the models are still in hair and make-up so I was pretty amused to see Soo Zee playing the same role here.

21. I’ve haven’t been a fan of Boyfriend for long as i enjoy ‘bad boy’ concepts a lot more than cutesy ones so this song and mv was right up my street! ^^ I really enjoyed the chorus and thought the actually music track was pretty awesome! I hope they have more songs like this on their album and in the future :) Boyfriend FIGHTING! EYK FIGHTING :D

22. NO MORE FLUFFY WHITE BUNNIES! victory! *does happy dance* This kind of song and dance was what I was expecting when they first debuted and all I had seen was their very first puddle stomping teaser.
    The kids are growin up so fast. *wipes snot tears*
    On a more serious note really enjoyed the video. It was short, sweet, fun, and entertaining. It made me want to check them out and see what the new album was about because they were really bright and playful.
    Although I still like your interviews and the marshmallow sticky photo booth at the end I really liked this kind of quick fun video too.
    It also, as a fan of kpop groups, kind of puts me at ease. That might sound really weird, but as a fan you see how busy the schedules are for these groups that you follow closely and at some point you kind of just want them take a break. The shortness of the video makes it easy for a group to just get in get out and have fun and laugh for a little under 10minutes. Also they don’t have to all repeat what they have to say on music shows and other interviews for the umpteenth time.
    I hope you get to do this kind of quick “shout out” skit again soon.

23. I LOVE IT !! their new song is great :D also the skit was so fun to watch !

24. Loved Kwangmin’s scorpions under a pot hat, S&M TOTALLY need one for the next KMM!

25. It’s really fun to see you do short and somewhat silly video’s like this one, with idols. While I do like to watch interviews too, I prefer the ones that aren’t so standard and boring. Having silly moments, playing games, etc, those sort of things make it fun to watch a video.
    Also great to see you have a good relationship with Starship =) Hopefully this continues, because I like the things you have done with them so far.

Lastly, I can see comments again! Even decided to finally stop lurking and make an account to comment myself. O___O

26. I really liked the concept of Peter Pan actually being evil, and killing the girl who I assume is Wendy by blowing her up with the bomb that Boyfriend was planning for Peter. I like how you see a short flashback of them with Wendy in a more innocent setting, it shows that they grew up. Then after Wendy is killed Donghyun turns into Hook, so it is like the origins of Hook and it makes Peter Pan the crocodile that ate Hooks hand (or blew it up in this concept). I just really like the concept.

Also I liked the bookcase tunnel, but I wanted to cringe whenever they walked over the books at the bottom of the tunnel. Boyfriend has really matured in this video and it’s a new concept we haven’t seen from them. I only wish I could have had hot chocolate (or even fake hot chocolate that was just an empty cup) with them.

27. It didn’t seem like it would the ‘Peter Pan’ fairytale would fit the song at first, but the more I watched, the more I understood what was going on then finally I was growing to love both the song and the music video!
    I didn’t think Boyfriend would be Wendy’s Peter Pan(s) from the way they looked like in the music video(not complaining, they look extremely hot- I fell off my chair from spazzing and hyperventilating).
    My favorite part was at the 2:39 mark until the end, like totally unexpected ermegeeeerd. Was it Peter Pan(since he was wearing an all-green outfit) trying to hold her back from Donghyun(the leader) and the others? I think so, I was totally shocked when she suddenly exploded out of nowhere. That part was awesome pawsome! The ending was totally cool, turns out that Donghyun is Captain Hook and the other members are part of his crew. Also, did anybody else notice that FINALLY, A BOY GROUP THAT DOESN’T SHARE JUST ONE DANG GIRL?! LIKE SHE’S NOT CHEATING ON ANY OF THE MEMBERS AND IS THE LOVE INTEREST OF ONLY ONE GUY. FRICK FRACK, FINALLY. The hexagonic(is that even a word? it is now, for me) library was pretty artsy fartsy too, I like it.

• Oh darn it, I’m not a Premium Nasty yet.
      Lemme go to facebook, youtube and twitter instead HAHA.

28. Oh that’s awesome ;D

29. I liked the take on the story of Peter Pan and how the lyrics help to make the story. Had I not read the translations I wouldn’t have completely gotten the plot. What I took from it was, Wendy was so obsessed with Peter that she couldn’t see who the good guys really were, Hook. But when she finally realizes, Peter takes her hostage and kills her to keep her from going to Hook.

I also liked how they didn’t hold back. Most stories or MVs (especially in Kpop) would have ended it with them saving Wendy. But they didn’t. They blew her up, Peter won, and Hook lost his hand in the blast.

Also, I though it funny that knifes are so bad that they had to censor them but then they blew up some poor girl like its nothing.

30. I admit I really loved the ending but the whole video was a really cool new concept for them. I really like how Boyfriend has grown and are losing that cutesy, cheesy feel. I mean I still love it and rock out cleaning to Love Style but I like how they have changed.

Also, that book hallway was seriously awesome. My the librarian in me squeal with joy a bit. The explosives part made me laugh too, since the guy was like, “hey girl… hold this a sec.” And then she exploded. :) Ah, Captain Hook: Origins.

Hope you guys are taking time out to relax!

• Relax? Not yet. June 16th, on our anniversary, we’ll have a day to relax. Till then, lots of stuff to do!

31. My favorite part is when bayfriend starts dancing. I really like the Dance. :)

32. My favorite part of the music video is when Boyfriend first appears on screen in their ‘hideout’. Because, it is the first real moment we get an impact on Boyfriend’s new concept and dramatic style change. You see a shirtless Hyunseong, looking all muscular and striking a punching bag. Then, Minwoo full of tattoos and throwing a dart with a ‘I’m too cool for this game’ gaze; followed by Jeongmin riding across the room with a skateboard like he doesn’t give a flower. Kwangmin is so concentrated in playing solo pool, looking like he would flip on anyone who messes his game up. Youngmin has a whole chemistry lab going on in that table, showing us that rebels can be smart. After a few dance cues, our wonderful leader, Donghyun, wakes up from a bad ass midday nap; rebelling takes a lot of energy from you. What I also like about this part is that each member is in character and even though they are not speaking they are trying to act an individual role in their new darker version of peter pan inspired fairy-tale. The dancing was on point too!

33. I couldn’t stop smiling the entire video :3 Hope other idols can do these kind of things more!

34. I would love to have hot chocolate with them! I love the video and I would love to see more videos like this with other artists. I would also like to see you expand out to actors, comedians, and other TV personalities as well. Keep up the nasty work!

35. Overall I enjoyed the change in perspective making Pan out to be the bad guy who kidnaps the girl and Hook the good guy who would save her from him. My Favourite part of the music video was the plotting to get Peter Pan, where the poster says “Wanted: Simplified or Expanded” made me laugh. I really liked the mirrored dancing bit, it looked really cool. I also liked the small detail of the wing tattoo to show Tinker Bell as an ally of Hook.

36. My favorite part is actually in the concept of the video. FINALLY we have a MV from a boy group that, even though it centers around one girl, It seems only ONE member is after her (my leader bias! ^_^) and the others are just the “pirate gang” there for support. Finally…

37. My fave part of their video is the super sexy hall of books… Nothing sexier than being surrounded by all those books.

38. The part that i love the most is… the end… but beacuse the were supposedly be Peter Pan… but at the end he turn in Captain Hook…!! so it was really impresive,… i really like this new concept for boyfriend… they are not kids anymore,…!

39. This is seriously so cool.

40. Waaaaaaaa soo awesome *.* That is pretty much all I can say XD I’m not that big of a fan of boyfriend – don’t bite, I think they are cool and all, I just like some other a bit better :)but as I said, they are really good too and if they would somehow some to Slovenia, I would go to their concert like the biggest fan girl XD