Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

June 5, 2014

Comments

First off, let’s start by saying thanks to Boyfriend for being such great sports. Their new video is really quite cool and has an interesting take on the Peter Pan story. Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet!

As for this video we shot, we know it’s a bit random, but it’s something we had a lot of fun doing. We hope you liked it as well. Woohoo!

For a bit of backstory, we’re on pretty good terms with Starship Entertainment. They’ve got good people working there. We did an interview with Sistar a long time ago, and we also did a video with K.Will last year, and then Boyfriend gave an acceptance speech at our Eatyourkimchi Awards for winning Aegyo of the year.

For Boyfriend’s comeback, we all wanted to do something together, but we knew that everyone’s schedules are pretty crazy. We’re in an out of this and that country, as are Boyfriend. So how could we shoot something fun without taking too much of everyone’s time? This seemed like a winner to us!

And they were not only totally game for the idea, and also very fun and energetic in the video, but they were also surprised at how fast it was. When we were done filming they were like “really? That’s it?” Yep. It was 6 minutes of filming. BOOYA!

You might be wondering why we like doing silly skits instead of longform sit down interviews. I don’t really think we’re thaaaaaat into interviews anymore. If we had the choice, we’d rather to something silly and fun. We’re really inspired by Jimmy Fallon’s skits, in which Tom Cruise pounds eggs on his head while Jason Statham gets glasses of water thrown at him. Those are fun! They show the celebrity’s personality, and doesn’t make them answer all of the questions they’ve been asked a bagillion times over. I’m glad Starship was down for not only something this fun, but also for being comfortable with something non-traditional (which we’ve had rejected by other companies before).

Boyfriend Signed CD Giveaway!

Another big thanks to Boyfriend and Starship for the CDs, which we will, of course, be giving out to you guise! If you want to win, here’s what you gotta do!

YouTube

To win on YouTube, first make sure you’re subscribed to us, because we’re only picking subscribers, and then head on over to our video and let us know in the comments what your favorite part of Boyfriend’s video was. It’s a very different take from their other videos. Let us know what you think!

Facebook

To win on Facebook, first make sure that you’ve liked our page, then answer the same question in the contest thread linked below!

Twitter

To win on Twitter, make sure you’re following us on Twitter, and then click on this to retweet. It’s that easy! Booya!

Premium Nasties!

For those of you who don’t know, we’ve recently rolled out our Premium Nasty program. We’re really honored by all the support, so we want to give something back. If you’ve got a Nasty Badge, just answer the same question in the comments below. We’ll pick one Premium Nasty as a winner. Woohoo! Your odds of winning in this category are a lot higher than, say, Facebook or Twitter, where we have 150-300k followers, while the Premium Nasty number is a lot smaller than that. Much higher chances of winning!

And, on a silly note, here are some bloopers from the video. You’ll also see Martina’s and Soo Zee’s storyboard for the video. Shooting a quick video like this makes it easier for companies to understand what we’re trying to shoot. Point is, Soo Zee does a great Boyfriend impersonation. Check it out!

And, lastly, don’t forget to click on this pretty button below right here to subscribe for more of the silly collaborations we have in the works. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

Comments

Special Features

Hot Chocolate With Boyfriend

1. my favorite part was either the choreography with the uhh not sure what they were.. light up stools?? idk but i really liked it haha. either that part or the parts with that hexagon library shelves thing that looked pretty awesome ^_^

2. I like Hyunseong’s gesture at 0:21 in the MV. It’s both tempting and patronizing, telling me, “I DARE you to hear our story.” Beginnings of Kpop MVs tend to be filled with sexy shots introducing each member and his/her new look, as well as the set and its important pieces, but not a lot do a good job. Objects and sexy stares emphasized in many a Kpop MV’s beginning go on to carry minimal importance in the MV’s plot. But here, Hyunseong pulls a subtle SunnyHill by saying, “I DO have a story to tell you today, and you’re not going to like all of it.” Little moments like this in Kpop MVs, combined with good acting (ensured when the band actually knows what the MV is about), mean a lot to me.

3. My favourite part of Boyfriend’s video was the story. I liked the use of a Disney fairy tale which made it different. I’m glad that the director changed it up from other typical romance music videos. I think the actress who played Wendy really fit the role. I also really like the new concept. It’s nice to see that they’re trying out concepts that really show that they are growing up and becoming more mature. From the costumes to the music video, Boyfriend shows a different side of them and it was great!

4. First,I wanna say I really like the new comment section,so first time commmenting like this…My favourite part(like many others) is the library and their new concept,they seem more mature now.I hope u can do more fun things like this,but also combined with a small interview( some sort of funny questions or games ).I kinda felt, (I know this time, you didn´t have so much time)it was too short,i like to see the group(Any group) reactions(at strange,silly questions,) and interaction with u guise( like u did with Eric Nam).Also,if u have the chance ,why not make something like this with actors and other T.V.celebrities and not only..Maybe a section just for actors and dramas.. LOVE and Greetings from (a croatian)living in Germany..

5. Its so difficult to choose my favorite moment of the MV but I have to say generally any scene in the Hexagon of bookshelves I don’t know why but I just love how it looks with them standing on it.

6. My favorite part of the MV was the stools that light up when they were stepping on it. It made me think how nice it would be to have one of them but then also thinking of the costs for electricity and how it would be powered

7. My Favorite part of MV was the spinning book tunnel, it made me think of Alice in Wonderland and the trip down the “rabbit hole”. This was my first time watching a Boyfriend MV as I’m more of a BTS fan. But I’m going to look at some of their other stuff now.

8. I really liked the concept of Peter Pan actually being evil, and killing the girl who I assume is Wendy by blowing her up with the bomb that Boyfriend was planning for Peter. I like how you see a short flashback of them with Wendy in a more innocent setting, it shows that they grew up. Then after Wendy is killed Donghyun turns into Hook, so it is like the origins of Hook and it makes Peter Pan the crocodile that ate Hooks hand (or blew it up in this concept). I just really like the concept.

Also I liked the bookcase tunnel, but I wanted to cringe whenever they walked over the books at the bottom of the tunnel. Boyfriend has really matured in this video and it’s a new concept we haven’t seen from them. I only wish I could have had hot chocolate (or even fake hot chocolate that was just an empty cup) with them.

9. I actually liked the part where the girl died and peter turned pirate. The song is really cool. But I really liked the tunnel made of book shelves i thought it was cool. It’s my favorite BF song so far. But you are a bat girl still has a special place in my heart.

10. This was a very cute, silly skit. Definitely something different. Very enjoyable. I just wish there was a touch of interview or Boyfriend say a little more about their album. You know a little extra something, more Boyfriend. Overall it was great.

I loved the creeper twin in the bloopers. XD

• Thank you for the feedback! Yes, it would have been nice to have Boyfriend say a bit more. We’ll consider that next time we plan for a video like this :D

• D’oh I also meant to say that I love that Jellyfish has a great sense of humor and allows their artists to participate in your skits and likes your ideas. I wish more companies were like this.

• *cough* Starship… Not Jellyfish * cough* Jellyfish is Vixx.

• Oh crud! I was having a Seo In Guk moment before this post and flipped the companies. Thank you for clarifying :)

11. Awesome would love one of those BOYFRIEND CD’s…the concert here in Puerto Rico was awesome they really enjoyed it and us too.. Well on the bloopers MV loved Soo Zee she looks so cute and love her purple hair
    -Dr.Spudgiesworth 1st-

12. My favourite part is at the end when Donghyun puts on the hook implying that he is Captain Hook (which was so badass btw). I love the fact that they switched the antagonist/protagonist roles around (Peter Pan / Captain Hook).SO COOL! I freaking love this song, it’s got that whole 90s boyband sound. Also, A++ for the choreography and styling. The whole thing was simply my cup of tea; an old fantasy modernised.

I am definitely looking forward to their comeback stage. Boyfriend fighting~

13. I guess it’s more the song than the MV, but I was really digging the bass line in this song, and the random digital trill during the chorus. So good! But if we’re talking strictly MV, then the first cut to the “hide out” was my favorite part. I usually don’t watch Boyfriend videos, they’re too aegyo for me, but I was sooo happy this video was tougher and manlier. Boyfriend’s got a new fan~! ^w^

14. I love this! much better than listen to “so whats your ideal girl?” or ” so tell me about your concept?” I’m not even fan of Boyfriend but an interview like this definitly made me check out their video^^ So Simon and Martina I defintly recommend this format^^(and great job by soozee too=P) I like the song, the theme is generic though right now,everyone has that colour scheme and clothes imo. By the way as a librarian i do no think that bookshelf was practical, definitly cool but who steps on books?! o.o XD

15. The beginning bit was awesome, where the girl is around all the books the scene was original and it looked really cool. I also loved the dance it’s different to what I’ve seen in the past. The fact that they blurred out the knife on the wanted poster made me laugh (I still don’t really understand why they do that). The setting of the scene looked like it was underground and that Boyfriend were some underground gang which is pretty different from their other videos. The fact that the girl exploded was a bit disappointing but the ending was great with the hook. Boyfriend just blew up their ”young never grow old” cutesy image and became adult captain hooks. All of them look a lot more comfortable on camera than before which is great.

16. ahahahahah that was so fun to watch!!!!
    and i liked the test video ahaha!!

17. Loved the video you did with them, so funny haha.

My favourite part of Boyfriend’s mv is from 2:39 – 3:25. I liked the part where the girl exploded, but I also like how the song goes from there, and the dance! (I also really liked 1:53-1:56, the library scene!)

But yeah, Loved the song, video and dance! So catchy -w-

18. gwf

My favorite part of Obsession was the part where it shows Boyfriend when they were still ‘young’ (where all members wore white and with no tattoos. I think it was part of Donghyun’s memory) before they were deemed too ‘old’ and Peter Pen (PP) wants to get rid of them. I really love how they were so happy to see PP at first and how they were shocked when he rejected their hands and pushed them away, not forgetting how he strangled Donghyun. I feel that it not only show the reason as to why Boyfriend choose to rebel PP but also the transition of them from being a cute Boyfriend to a MENFRIEND in real! Furthermore, that part was a big contrast with the other parts of the MV with them all being white and innocent and the rest of the movie being dark and rebellious. I really love the contrast. I also love the effect of the blurriness and the focus was on PP that was the only color shown.

I really hope i can get the signed CD. I’ve never participated in any of these contest before since I wasn’t a big fan to the other groups. But I’ve known Boyfriend even before their debut and it was pure coincidence that I came across their fanpage while browsing. From then on, i was a huge Bestfriend. Seeing them rise as a rookie and falling (maybe some fans wont agree but its true seeing the number of fans drop) after DTMG and now they are slowly rising back. Lots of Bestfriend has been waiting for this comeback for so long but all of us hanged in there even after a lot fake rumors of their comeback. HAHA. Im ranting so much but I really hope i will be able to win just this one time. Simon and Martina, if you are reading this, I hope you can choose me. Haha. Have a good day and thanks for forking out your time to create this video. Really appreciate it~~~

19. Hmm,Overall I think the Boyfriend MV is super awesome and went well with the music. Boyfriend Comeback really change a lot to a manly looks. No more cutie looks. They really make a very nice manly concept. I really like it and really appreciate their handwork for making their new comeback video obsession.
    I really love when Minwoo & Kwangmin rapping while standing on the chair. Soo cool & hottie. I really love when Youngmin singing his part. his cute and handsome looks make me fallen in love. I actually love their new comeback alot. Love their new concept. Keep It Up BOYFRIEND! Boyfriend Hwaiting! I’m a fans of Boyfriend bias is Youngmin,Kwangmin,Minwoo&Jeongmin. <3 ^_^

20. I prefer this silly skits over long interviews too so I get what your saying. I hope there will be more of this type of things in the future :D

• Oh and I fortgot My favourite thing about this music video is how they look and sound! They are so manly and the song is not cutie but … just great! xd My favourite moment was when they were dancing in the basement with little chairs!

21. I think my favorite part of the music video, is when the girl blew up. I am sorry if it sounds cruel but I found it pretty funny. I felt like she could of threw the bomb back at the guy in green before it blew up.

22. I really like the dance moves and the concept of Peter Pan whimsical/ bad boy attitude. At first I was wondering who the guy in the green suit, like was that Yoo Jae-Suk? But after the ending of the video when he put the hook on, it made a more sense that the role is reversed. Very interesting
    Like · Reply · 9 minutes ago

23. Cool video, a little stilted but really good considering english is probably Boyfriend’s second/third language. The EYKmobile needs more action shots!

Cyber_3 – first comment without disqus, it’s kind of weird. Killed “Redirect Cleaner” for eyk, everything all better.

• I didn’t notice who you were without your regular avatar! I actually was interested because I though, humph, why is that not a square, and then I saw your name :D

24. I want hot chocolate too~
    Though I like their aegyo-high energy-songs I love this sexy-grown up style more(which is the opposite of pter pan) My favorite part was definately the end scene when Donghyun put on the hook and they all sit&all look like bad boys [●♢●]

25. My favorite part is when bayfriend starts dancing. I really like the Dance. :)

26. My favorite part of the music video is when Boyfriend first appears on screen in their ‘hideout’. Because, it is the first real moment we get an impact on Boyfriend’s new concept and dramatic style change. You see a shirtless Hyunseong, looking all muscular and striking a punching bag. Then, Minwoo full of tattoos and throwing a dart with a ‘I’m too cool for this game’ gaze; followed by Jeongmin riding across the room with a skateboard like he doesn’t give a flower. Kwangmin is so concentrated in playing solo pool, looking like he would flip on anyone who messes his game up. Youngmin has a whole chemistry lab going on in that table, showing us that rebels can be smart. After a few dance cues, our wonderful leader, Donghyun, wakes up from a bad ass midday nap; rebelling takes a lot of energy from you. What I also like about this part is that each member is in character and even though they are not speaking they are trying to act an individual role in their new darker version of peter pan inspired fairy-tale. The dancing was on point too!

27. I couldn’t stop smiling the entire video :3 Hope other idols can do these kind of things more!

28. I admit I really loved the ending but the whole video was a really cool new concept for them. I really like how Boyfriend has grown and are losing that cutesy, cheesy feel. I mean I still love it and rock out cleaning to Love Style but I like how they have changed.

Also, that book hallway was seriously awesome. My the librarian in me squeal with joy a bit. The explosives part made me laugh too, since the guy was like, “hey girl… hold this a sec.” And then she exploded. :) Ah, Captain Hook: Origins.

Hope you guys are taking time out to relax!

• Relax? Not yet. June 16th, on our anniversary, we’ll have a day to relax. Till then, lots of stuff to do!

29. It didn’t seem like it would the ‘Peter Pan’ fairytale would fit the song at first, but the more I watched, the more I understood what was going on then finally I was growing to love both the song and the music video!
    I didn’t think Boyfriend would be Wendy’s Peter Pan(s) from the way they looked like in the music video(not complaining, they look extremely hot- I fell off my chair from spazzing and hyperventilating).
    My favorite part was at the 2:39 mark until the end, like totally unexpected ermegeeeerd. Was it Peter Pan(since he was wearing an all-green outfit) trying to hold her back from Donghyun(the leader) and the others? I think so, I was totally shocked when she suddenly exploded out of nowhere. That part was awesome pawsome! The ending was totally cool, turns out that Donghyun is Captain Hook and the other members are part of his crew. Also, did anybody else notice that FINALLY, A BOY GROUP THAT DOESN’T SHARE JUST ONE DANG GIRL?! LIKE SHE’S NOT CHEATING ON ANY OF THE MEMBERS AND IS THE LOVE INTEREST OF ONLY ONE GUY. FRICK FRACK, FINALLY. The hexagonic(is that even a word? it is now, for me) library was pretty artsy fartsy too, I like it.

• Oh darn it, I’m not a Premium Nasty yet.
      Lemme go to facebook, youtube and twitter instead HAHA.

30. Oh that’s awesome ;D

31. I liked the take on the story of Peter Pan and how the lyrics help to make the story. Had I not read the translations I wouldn’t have completely gotten the plot. What I took from it was, Wendy was so obsessed with Peter that she couldn’t see who the good guys really were, Hook. But when she finally realizes, Peter takes her hostage and kills her to keep her from going to Hook.

I also liked how they didn’t hold back. Most stories or MVs (especially in Kpop) would have ended it with them saving Wendy. But they didn’t. They blew her up, Peter won, and Hook lost his hand in the blast.

Also, I though it funny that knifes are so bad that they had to censor them but then they blew up some poor girl like its nothing.

32. This is seriously so cool.

33. Waaaaaaaa soo awesome *.* That is pretty much all I can say XD I’m not that big of a fan of boyfriend – don’t bite, I think they are cool and all, I just like some other a bit better :)but as I said, they are really good too and if they would somehow some to Slovenia, I would go to their concert like the biggest fan girl XD

34. In all honesty…. I loved the ending where he turned into Captain Hook. That was pretty awesome ^_^ in the beginning I liked the parts in the Hexagon library(?) but, the ending was kind of showed the hero turns evil which I liked

35. The part that i love the most is… the end… but beacuse the were supposedly be Peter Pan… but at the end he turn in Captain Hook…!! so it was really impresive,… i really like this new concept for boyfriend… they are not kids anymore,…!

36. I would love to have hot chocolate with them! I love the video and I would love to see more videos like this with other artists. I would also like to see you expand out to actors, comedians, and other TV personalities as well. Keep up the nasty work!

37. Overall I enjoyed the change in perspective making Pan out to be the bad guy who kidnaps the girl and Hook the good guy who would save her from him. My Favourite part of the music video was the plotting to get Peter Pan, where the poster says “Wanted: Simplified or Expanded” made me laugh. I really liked the mirrored dancing bit, it looked really cool. I also liked the small detail of the wing tattoo to show Tinker Bell as an ally of Hook.

38. My favorite part is actually in the concept of the video. FINALLY we have a MV from a boy group that, even though it centers around one girl, It seems only ONE member is after her (my leader bias! ^_^) and the others are just the “pirate gang” there for support. Finally…

39. My fave part of their video is the super sexy hall of books… Nothing sexier than being surrounded by all those books.