One Year Later: Japan vs Korea

December 15, 2016

Comments

By some fluke, it has been exactly one year since we announced we’re moving to Japan. We honestly didn’t plan to publish this kind of video on this date, but it seems befitting. We announced our decision then, and we’re talking more about it now.

It’s been a year since that video and I think a year has been a good amount of time for us to think things over. We thought about it for a long time before announcing that video, and we’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on our lives since. And from every angle we look at it, the answer is the same: this has been the greatest year of our lives.

Saying that, though, is kind of scary for us. Very scary. I don’t know if we’ve been clear about this, but some of you might glean that we’re really uncomfortable with the anger we get from Korean netizens. Any discussion we have about both countries hits a sore spot for nationalists. Yes, we know Korea and Japan have a bad history with each other, as we’re constantly reminded. But the fact is, we don’t share that history. We’re not Korean. We’re not Japanese. We don’t have a dog in this race. We just lived in Korea, and now we live in Japan, and we want to be able to talk about our lives retrospectively sometimes, and to see how we’ve grown.

I honestly think that our time in Japan has been so great specifically because of the troubles we had in Korea. When we tell our friends here the things that make us happy about Japan they look at us weird. And I think if we came to Japan without the context of Korea, we would take a lot of the things we love about Japan for granted. I mean, we grew up in the suburbs of Canada: our neighbourhoods were always quiet. We wouldn’t give a shit about that if we moved to Kichijoji straight from Pickering. But after losing so many hours of sleep in the screams of Seoul, coming to the peaceful nights we have here means a lot more to us than it would have otherwise. Our time in Korea has helped us love our time in Japan more.

I was in the car with one of our Japanese friends recently. We were waiting to turn left. There was a car in front of him that had many MANY opportunities to make the turn, but he didn’t take it. We waited until the driver ahead of us went, and then took our turn when it came up. My friend apologized for being such an angry driver afterwards. For doing what, I don’t know. I actually laughed. He didn’t even honk his horn! He just sighed as far as I can remember. If this was Korea he would have leaned on his horn, and driven around the guy through oncoming traffic and endangered us all. I didn’t feel at all in danger driving with him, or with anybody I’ve ever driven with in Japan.

I’m expecting to read in the comments “but please understand our situation” from people upset with our verdict, but I’m not trying to be a historian or anthropologist here. This isn’t a discussion about the rich histories of both countries. This is a simple video: I lived in both countries, and living in this one is better for me, and holy shit I’m so worried about saying that but hell I should be able to say that. I’m not telling everyone that Korea is hell, which many Korean people are saying themselves. I’m just saying that, by the end of my time in Korea, it wasn’t for me.

This feels almost like breaking up with a boyfriend. We had good times, I know that. But by the end of the relationship I was starting to see sides of you that I didn’t want to experience. It was time for me to move on to my life. Time for us to see other people. I’m sure you’ll find someone that can love you more than I did, and I wish you health and happiness, but I need someone different in my life. And I’m seeing someone new, actually. His name is Japan. We have a great relationship together. And I couldn’t be as happy as I am now if it wasn’t for what I learned with you.

I hope that you, the reader, can also feel comfortable in knowing when it’s time to move on. If you’re dating someone who abuses you, or if you’re at a job that treats you like shit, you have all the right in the world to find a new partner, to look for a new job. And if you’re in a country that makes you uncomfortable, you have all the right to try to move somewhere else. You should be able to express that you feel your country isn’t treating you how you want to be treated. For those of you unhappy with the results of an election, if you feel like you’re jeopardizing your wellbeing staying where you are, if you’ve fallen out of love with your country, find a new love. It’s your life. Please live it how you want to.

And now it’s time for me to unwind with a bottle of wine. Hopefully my ex won’t blow up my phone with angry texts.

Comments

TL;DR

One Year Later: Japan vs Korea

1. Love your channel. You two rock! So I was just watching NHK Japan station on TV and they had a show called Kawaii International. I’m wondering if you know of this phenomenon and if you’ll ever do an episode on it and Harajuku Japan.

2. Hi Simon and Martina, I’m sorry those events happened to you during your stay in Korea. As a S. Korean living overseas, I know it’s not easy to live in a “rougher” culture than back at home so I understand where the frustration was coming from. However I must say this blog post came as a bit shock for me. You were always so well diplomatic in addressing sensitive issues in your videos, and that’s what I highly respected, but this blog post and video went a bit wild let’s say. Comparing your frustration (not the experience in Korea) on dating abuse or shitty jobs were quite a strong metaphor I must say. As someone who was really happy for your next chapter in Japan, I feel quite “heartbroken”. At least I don’t go around and talk this bad of my ex-boyfriends after a breakup.

3. Hey Simon and Martina. I have been one of your shy fans who watched most of your videos for a long time, yet this is my first time leaving a comment (I think….). I think you are very funny, loving, and genuine people. I really like so many things about your lives and experience. Also, I am very glad that you had your happiest year of your life in Japan! That’s just wonderful.

Yet this video came as an unhappy surprise to me. You are entitled to say whatever opinion you have about your personal experiences and I respect that. But I felt a bit disappointed because the level of exaggeration and tone of the video on the negative aspects of Korea was very strong, almost as if those years were traumatic. It felt like the tone when you are talking bad about your ex to win favor of your current partner. And as a fan who treasured your 8 years of videos, I couldn’t help but feel kinda back-stabbed. I know you did not mean that way, but it felt like those happy, energetic funny videos were actually made in an unhappy, crappy environment (where at times other people looked at you like you “had leprosy”..wow..).

I know there isn’t a perfect place. Just like how you said in one of the youtube comments, “life isn’t black and white”. But, this video sure does feel like black and white to me. The whole flow of the video is basically ‘this sucked in Korea but its awesome in Japan, thus I feel happier now.’ The old Korean fans would find this quite disappointing, not just because of their nationality, but because we thought you were happy too in Korea. “Wonderful Adventures Now in Korea” didn’t seem quite wonderful I guess.

I’m glad you at least do not regret living in a place where you started your adventure. Those hundreds of videos you produced with your hard work really payed off because many of us absolutely loved them as viewers. However, this video is quite skewed. You used words like “no one, never, always” to describe a darker side of A and a bright side of B under the title A vs B. And as a fan who had seen wonderful videos of once bright A, it felt quite disappointing.

Nonetheless, I thank you for your wonderful videos and allowing me to back away in perspective to see through my environment that I became inured to. I’m truly glad that you found the right place and the right time. I still treasure your experiences in Korea (I’m sure you do too). I hope the best for your health and happiness!

4. Hey Simon and Martina. I have been one of your shy fans who watched most of your videos for a long time, yet this is my first time leaving a comment (I think….). I think you are very funny, loving, and genuine people. I really like so many things about your lives and experience. Also, I am very glad that you had your happiest year of your life in Japan! That’s just wonderful.

Yet this video came as an unhappy surprise to me. You are entitled to say whatever opinion you have about your personal experiences and I respect that. But I felt a bit disappointed because the level of exaggeration and tone of the video on the negative aspects of Korea was very strong, almost as if those years were traumatic. It felt like the tone when you are talking bad about your ex to win favor of your current partner. And as a fan who treasured your 8 years of videos, I couldn’t help but feel kinda back-stabbed. I know you did not mean that way, but it felt like those happy, energetic funny videos were actually made in an unhappy, crappy environment (where at times other people looked at you like you “had leprosy”.. wow…).

I know there isn’t a perfect place, just like how you said in one of the youtube comments, “life isn’t black and white”. But, this video sure does feel like black and white to me. The whole flow of the video is basically ‘this sucked in Korea but its awesome in Japan, thus I feel happier now.’ The old Korean fans would find this quite disappointing, not just because of their nationality, but because we thought you were quite happy too in Korea. “Wonderful Adventures Now in Korea” didn’t seem quite wonderful in the way you described in your video.

5. I think for sure you guys are having a much easier time in Japan. I think your experience in Korea has a lot to do with that. You had a pretty uphill battle in Korea to make a place for yourself. You first jobs there were tough and particularly Simon had a hard work environment. There was a big shift once you guys started YouTubing full time. But like you said, that was a lot of work in Korea. But it wasn’t just with the paperwork and government regulations, you were growing your audience still and working hard on setting up something for the long term in regards to your channel and followers. And now, you are in a place to reap the rewards for all that hard work. So part of me thinks it might be less Japan in general and just where you are in life. You’ve reached a sweet spot. And all the Japan bonuses like your neighborhood and the ease of living, have a lot to do with how hard you worked before to get to this point. Congratulations guys! You’ve done a super job. I think I’ve only ever posted once before, but I’ve been around since the early early days. I’ve seen all your hard work. And I’m super excited that it’s paying off. I get that it’s still work. But you are so much happier. And I’m happy for you.

My spot in life: I’m “just” a mom. I say that because no mom is “just a” anything. But I’m in my late thirties and I homeschool 3 elementary aged kids in the suburbs. And I couldn’t be happier. We get to learn about the things that are important to us, and then spend the rest of our day playing video games and watching YouTube. (HA! The kids wish!) Like most kids their age they aspire to be YouTubers when they grow up.

As my Tl;DR request, I’d really like to see a behind the scenes of what you guys do to make a video. You might think it’s boring, because that’s the work end. But I am really interested, and I know my kids would love it. We’ve watched/read the video/blogs where you discuss the equipment you use. They’d like to see a wide shot of the set and where the lights are. And when you do location shots do you scope things out first, and do think about things like lighting in the restaurant. And any little tips you’ve learned the hard way. I wont let them have a public channel until they are teenagers. But they have started practicing and are trying to learn all the thingz!

6. OMG I am like yaaaaaaas!! I was living in Japan when I first started following you guys in 2010 or so. No lie, partially because of your videos I decided to live in Korea after spending two years in a magical, wonderful Japanese countryside town an hour outside of Kyoto.

Then I moved to Korea like…. whaaaaaat the f*********ck. haha! Night and day. Korea was such a rough experience for me. People were harsh, the environment was harsh and dirty, and I was sick all the time. I lived in Busan and it was basically filthy. My last day in Korea there was an epic flood where all the sewage water flowed through the city. It was a nice double middle finger from Korea as a goodbye I guess. lol I WILL say, I had a really good school set up and my co-workers were absolutely wonderful, but my life in Korea was very hard and unmagical (not magical? magic-less?) compared with my life in Japan. I thought I’d live in Korea a couple years as well, but I bounced after my year contract (I would have left after 6 months if I could have).

I don’t know what it is about Japan, but it is just a wonderful place to live as a foreigner. It has it’s ups and downs, too, of course. But to this day, I imagine myself moving back and owning a vacation home there. *dreamy eyes*

7. Hello Simon and Martina I’m originally from Lima, Peru but currently I’m finishing grad school in Oregon State University (OSU) in the US. The university is in a college town called Corvallis and a lot of people that I know qualify it as the ultimate nice place to live. But I’m from a really big city (10 million people) and I feel that Lima might be really similar to Seoul in the noise, angry driving and the never sleep. So after three years in Corvallis I just can say that I prefer the city life. Corvallis is really quiet and I grew up in a noisy city so during my first 2 years there I had to sleep with loud action movies, now I’m a bit more used to the quietness, but I miss the noise. Also a lot of the stores in Corvallis close at 6pm and do not open during the weekends and for a grad student that only has time after 6 and the weekends, it has been quite disappointing. Specially when you come from a place that has everything open until 1-2am.
    Other experience that I have is that people in Corvallis, or Oregon in general are ridiculously nice. In Lima we are more tough and we usually ignore the people around us, but in Oregon everyone is smiling. At first it was really unsettling because I felt that they were approaching to rob me (yep, city paranoia), but now I know that they are genuinely nice people. One thing that I really do not miss from Lima is the traffic. Here everyone stops at the crossings to let you pass, and are so well mannered at the wheel. In Lima you really need to run for your life. So, in general I really miss my city life, like being able to go out anywhere or have all food in delivery and I know that a place like Corvallis is a nice town but now I try to spend more time in Portland, OR, which is a medium city, with all the perks from a big city plus an additional small town touch.

8. I’m from the US, and I’ve experienced the same thing just from living in different cities within the same country. Some places I like better than others because they just work better for my personality and lifestyle or whatnot. I’m from Dallas, Texas, but I lived in San Francisco for two years, and the city just wasn’t for me. There were inconveniences, like housing costs and parking, that were so inconvenient/stressful for me to deal with, that it kind of outweighed the good things about living in the city. Now, even though I didn’t particularly like living in SF, I’m definitely not saying that it’s not for anyone, or it’s a bad city overall. I know many, many, many people absolutely love living in SF, and the things that bothered me about living there probably don’t bother them as much, or the things they love about the city outweigh the stressful parts of living in the city, and that’s totally fine and lovely that the city fits well with their lifestyles. Now I live in Oregon, and there’s things that I love and things that I dislike about living here too! I think it’s generally hard for people, when you’re talking about their hometown/home country, to not get immediately defensive, and to try to convince you otherwise, if your experience is different from theirs. I think people have to keep in mind, though, especially with living in another country, that being a foreigner can be very hard. For some foreigners that come to live in the United States, their experience has many difficulties, while other foreigners will only have great experiences in the US. The fact is, often foreigners are treated differently than non-foreigners, and while it may come across as offensive for someone to criticize things about your home country, their experience is valid, and they should be able to speak about it. In the US especially, now more than ever we have to try very hard to listen and stand up for the experiences of minorities in our country.

9. I’ve been living in Korea for over 14 years. Listening to you guys (even while you were still here) I always wondered how it is that we were having such different experiences in the same country. You might be right about your neighbourhood: I live in a detached house and I have my cackle of halmonis and ajummas who greet me and share a laugh with me every once in a while. Also, my local CU (former FAmily Mart) cashier is super friendly and always sneaks in some “bonus” goodies. The level of noise in Seoul, the crazy driving, the general inconvenience you talk about has gone down drastically in the years I’ve been here. I allow that we have all might be having different experiences here, and I only travelled in Japan (loved it completely) not lived there, so obviously I am no expert about that part of the world. But, I am of this, I say that without any reservations. You guys were always ‘above’ Korea, never ‘in’ Korea and that’s what coloured your years here. You were always the balcony observers, never on the floor, cynical yet polite (must be a Canadian thing). Glad you’re happier in Japan. And you are happier there because you feel welcome. Have you ever done anything in KOrea to get that sense of belonging? I joined some Korean activity clubs (hiking, choir singing, and the like), and OMG, this made a world of difference in my attitude to Korea and my level of happiness her soared. I wish you hadn’t answer this question because people seem to take you words very seriously. Dear all: don’t listen to anybody. If there is anything to be said about Korea is that it is a land that never ceases to surprise, enchant, enrage, and crawl under your skin unlike any other (I’ve lived in many).

10. Hi,

Good video. It’s a difficult subject to tackle. I think you were exceptionally even handed in your discussion. It is unfortunate there are those who only hear what they want to hear so they can say what they want to say.

Wanting different things as you grow and change is part of life.

Is there a specific mark up I can use to create proper paragraphs?

That is all.

11. Hi guise! I really loved this video and I loved that you were both brave enough to make it. I initially wrote this long comment about how right I feel your comparison was but I’d think, in the end, like you, I’d rather just write happy things. BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS!!!!! — !!!! and I’m happy that you’re happier now. This video was a little green but no doubt you filmed it before you adjusted your lighting settings. I think that you were also as diplomatic as you could be and I’m glad that you didn’t bend over too far because it’s awesome to be strong and believe in yourselves. The snow on your webpage is a little distracting but very cute!

As for myself, I live in rural-ish Southern Ontario now. I’ve lived in several cities in Ontario, including Toronto downtown. I’ve travelled lots of places, including China, but I still haven’t made it to Europe yet. If I had to pick anywhere in Canada to live, it’d be Montreal again. But I really like your commune idea, but I’d automate it so I wouldn’t have to do too much farm work ;). I do have some school and personal research background in Asia and its cultures but I found your videos completely unrelated to any of that. My husband sent me a link to your Itaewon Freedom KMM he stumbled upon one day and I really enjoyed your brand of humour, could relate to you as fellow Canadians, and any learninating I did was a completely bonus :3. I was initially very disappointed when KMM ended but not because of kpop but because I liked the skits. I totally understand now(understood then eventually too) that you couldn’t talk about it at the time and I hope that I wasn’t too rude in my frustration ^^;;;. I love your food videos, travel videos, and just every day fun videos so I hope that you continue to enjoy making them because I will always love watching them. You are a great example and help others be brave, I hope I get to meet you some day but in the meantime: Merry Christmas! and here’s to a great New Year of new adventures!

12. Hi Simon and Martina, I’m a korean who just registered on your website. I agree the traffic problems in korea, but I don’t agree the noise at night in Seoul. There are places having different noise condition even in one city, one small area. I have lived Seongbuk-gu in Seoul for 10 years but I haven’t been tortured by any noise while I sleep. Besides, you were able to find and move to some quiet residential area in Seoul. It’s not a small town, you know. You were careless regarding these conditions at the beginning and just poured out flames which you have in mind and later said “Of course, It’s our case”.. It’s not good way to say something.. I know you made another video mentioning bad korean bathroom sewerage system, and that’s similar to this. Even though you don’t have bad purpose, careless insetting generalization easily make people misunderstand your massage.
    I’m not saying ‘plz understand our situation’ and not a nationalist. My uncomfortableness is not from some issues between Korea and Japan. Come on, Korean are sensitive to Japan because of history, it’s fact. However, we especially offend wrong statement and act of Japan for their history and we know your opinion is not that case.
    What I feel disappointment even more is this page sounds like “so what, you nationalism-natured korean? we once were mate and had a good time but that’s all. I’ve got new smarter man so It’s the bye-bye time. Be cool and grow up”. I wish you just chose inappropriate expression.. Even that is just what you thought, expressing your thought in this way is definitely rude attitude.
    I felt appreciation when you informed Korea to other people over the world. When you move to Japan, I wished you get happy time and those wishes are still in my mind. I also smiled(food challenge, visiting tourist region..) and felt sorry(car accident, poor korean pet surroundings..) while watching your various contents, and those are also good memory in my mind as an ordinary korean. We’re not simple boyfriend-girlfrend relationship. We can share memory and softly say hello to each other later, as a creator and subscriber. Also I don’t think your contents was only a pure business because it had fun, warmth, and massage. It’s natural that people don’t like some good memory to become deceived or easily meaningless.

13. But the real question now is: what song would Martina lip sync? heheheheh And I don’t know why, but the the looks reminds me Mana from Malice Mizer… the purple, maybe.

14. Although Im so glad youre happier now, it is such a shame to hear you talk so negatively about your time in Korea especially as I know you enjoyed it overall. Years after discovering. Your ‘tube I actually went to Korea because you spiked an interest for me and now (to answer your question) I am planning on teaching English in Korea starting Feb/March. Obviously hearing people I trust so much talk so negatively about a country I thought you loved has worried me, but, like you said everyone has a different experience; I hope mine is better than you portrayed Korea in this video…

15. I echo other commentators. Really _really_ hate how this topic was approached. Both countries got so much great food, sauna, hot springs, sushi, kimchi,culture, music, everything else to offer.

But yet both have the highest suicide rates. There was also that dark period between the two where one country used the other as sex slaves, place to plunder, and dehumanize. (I hope I lightened things up here.)

In my opinion, without mentioned consideration for the historical context and sensitivity, the video was terribly click-bait, thoughtful and insult to both countries trying to heal past wounds.

But that said, love your other videos.

16. Hey, Martina, it’s me, Korea. It’s been almost a year since we broke up. I almost forgot that you even existed, then I got this giant stone on my head out of nowhere. I mean come on, I know we didn’t have the best relationship ever, but we still dated for eight years. Did you really have to talk behind my back and tell what happened between us to the entire world? I thought we moved on and we are cool. What the hell is this? Do you think I liked everything about you?

Well, here are few things I want to say. Hey, you have lived with me for eight years, and we can’t even have any meaningful conversations in Korean. Can you say anything in Korean other than when you order food? And yet you always complained that you feel like an alien here. Have you tried to get to know my friends and my families? Have you ever tried to get to know me for real?

I can’t believe you talk about Japan and me like we are little kids who are having a fight in a playground. That fucking bastard broke into my house, beat me up, rape my sister, robbed my house, and never apologized. Alright, I’m not even going to ask you to take my side. I knew you always had a crush on him since you talked about some anime shit all the time. But can you at least not talk about that douche bag in front of me, and compare me to him? Come on Martina. We have been dating for eight years. Am I asking you too much if I say I want a little bit of loyalty from you? Or at least a sense of empathy?

Hey, I’m sorry our relationship has ended like this, and if you feel like I abused you while we were dating, I’m sorry. I hope that you will be happy with your new boyfriend. Can you just stop stabbing me from the back? Please move on like you said, because I already have.

-Korea

17. See, if Korea wants more visitors and people to appreciate their country, then act more graceful towards each other and others! This is a problem even in America with other Koreans. I’ve experienced it myself, being Korean adoptee, they still treat me really unfairly. They don’t treat me like a person but rather trash. So I am sorry your experience with living in Korea wasn’t as happy as you expected. I hope Japan embraces you rather than giving you disgruntled feelings.

18. Woah woah you make $$ doing Youtube videos in South Korea, and now you’re bagging on the same country that helped you get that $$ in the first place? I’m sorry for what happened to you guys in Korea, but remember there are tons of rude, inconsiderate people in the world, not just in Korea. Moving to Japan is one thing (I didn’t comment on that when you guys did a year ago), but comparing Japan to South Korea is just plain wrong. While most Japanese citizens may not be aware of what happened in the past, Japan as a nation tortured and killed thousands of innocent Koreans, never forget. I don’t care if you’re not Korean. If you lived in Korea for that long (longer than me, and I’m Korean), you must have acquired some sort of sentiment for the country, even if your stay might not have been pleasant at times. You’ve shown the ultimate form of disrespect for a country that you’ve once called home.

I regret that I was ever your fan in the first place. This is NOT about K-pop. I’m not even following K-pop anymore, so don’t anyone call me a rabid K-pop fan.

By the way, if you’re going to live in Japan, at least change you website URL permanently to EatYourSushi, NOT EATYOURKIMCHI. Stop loading off from South Korea if you don’t even like them anymore.

19. Hi Simon and Martina! I completely understand your situation. I lived in Japan for a total of 5 years and now I’m currently working for a study abroad company in Malta. Many of the great things you mentioned about Japan I completely agree with. The people are very nice, you’re not always reminded that you’re a foreigner, and Japan is definitely a great city for sleeping. However, at this moment, I prefer living in Malta. My job is a lot more relaxed and I have a lot more freedom. And of course speaking English again is a huge plus. Besides that though, I’m surrounded by people from all over the world, including people who look similar to me, so I never feel out of place. And even though beauty is just as big here in Malta, theres A LOT more body acceptance and body types. The culture is also so much more relaxed than in Japan, where everything has to have a set of rules. Not sure if I’m ready to go back after this!

20. Hi there Simon and Martina,

I have been following your YouTube Chanel since 2010. I love your videos and blogs because you guys always give an honest and truthful opinion. I can understand what you are going through. I have not yet experienced such thing but being a person from asian descendant it is quite difficult to stay neutral because many asian countries do not get along with each other especially countries like China, Korea and Japan. These three big countries have always been in competition and they share a long complicated history. My point is even though people in Asia might give you a hard time but other fans in other countries or immigrant people can understand you guys better. In this message I wish you guys will be more encouraged to boldly share your thoughts in your videos like you used to because seriously it is your life and you guys have come so far in helping me and many other people to enjoy traveling and to be open minded. Thank you for your hard for the past 6 years of making funny and informative videos about your travel life. Stay strong, beautiful and nasty at all times.
    p.s: can I ask you guys how did Spudgy get his hair dyied blue?

21. Hello :3 I’m pretty new to the comenting realm and I honestly don’t feel very safe on youtube so I thought I’d rather write here. :) I think what you guys said when you moved away from Korea and now makes a lot of sense, I think it’s so good that you had many positive things that happened in Korea and obviously you felt home there, or you guys wouldn’t have stayed as long as you did.
    I moved from Germany to Norway when I was 10 I am 20 now, I feel I can reflect on my expirience as a growing and now young adult. I have a somewhat warped image of germany, since I was 10 when we moved, I did not have a choice nor was I aware of the horrible treatment my parents had working, my mam working often 4 jobs at a time. I was okay, I had a few friends, I was always the weird kid.
    When I think of Norway what I think is kind of the flipside of Germany, my family was okay but I had a bad time. Two years in we moved, initially I wasn’t happy with the first school I attended, but the second school that was when I became an empty shell. I’ve heard from friends that they’ve been physically bullied. There was a point in my life where I wished they would stab me with a knife, just so that someone would notice what they where doing. The whole school from 1st grade to 10th grade was always looking at me like I had I don’t know spat in their lunch. It’s been 4 years since I graduated from that school it is something that until today has left scars on me. I had no one I was alone every day for 4 years. I have since been to a ‘Folkehøgskole’I guess anyone from scandinavia knows the concept of it, but not many else. It’s basically a school where you go after you are done with your usually 13 years of school. You live at the school and you can choose from wide variety of classes. ( I went Cosplay) I have since a little better feeling about Norway (because I discovered there are people just as weird as me that actually like me). There is a lot of good things in Norway, but the tiny town I think are the worst things, sadly there are a lot of those here. The essence of my story is this: Norway is a rough stone in the making, you can see a lot of sosialistic ideals of comunity and care of those who can’t or don’t have any work, but on many things it seems it’s years behind what I knew from germany. But on a flipside both gender equality and religion is better than what I know and remember about germany. I’m at a loss, I don’t feel german nor norwegian and I’ve lived 10 years in both. I feel like I don’t belong anywhere.

I am really happy you guys made the decision to move to Japan if it’s brought you so much good <3 =(O.O)=

22. When I first saw the video pop up I actually got scared that you guys might be talking about how you regret going to Japan for some reason and I was going to be so sad because you seem(ed) so happy and relaxed to still be in a honeymoon stage with everything. So I’m glad that that’s not the case. I am sad to hear that you had such a hard time in Korea with so many different things – especially because your videos are a big big reason why I love Korea so much, why I looked into moving to Korea and why I took my first out of country trip to Korea – but I’m sure you also have so many happy memories and feelings too.

Thinking about what makes a place important to me has been more prevalent on my mind lately because I’ll be making a big move in the next couple of years with my LDR BF. We have different likes in a city. He’s a lot like you and likes the quieter, calmer atmosphere of things whereas I was born and raised in a metropolis and am very uncomfortable in a place that quiet. I find it relaxing on occasion but I eventually start to miss the accessibility of a city. I went to college in a really small town and there were times I just wanted to run away down the highway because I felt trapped and stifled. In looking over places now, we’ve both come to realize why we like the types of places we like and how what we’ve had growing up has shaped our preferences.

Anywho! I really am happy that you guys are so in love with Japan and I hope that you continue to feel this way for the next many years. :) Thanks for sharing your stories and your feelings.

• I loved living in Japan, so I can understand them! I also enjoyed Korea! Both are great!

23. Hell Simon & Martina! Thanks for sharing this video. I’ve been watching you guys since just before I spent a year teaching in Korea (yay Busan!!) after grad school. I had applied to go with an English recruiter for Japan and got rejected.. so I ended up going for a MA in English, TESOL and Applied Linguistics. Afterwards, my professor who was from Daegu recommended I try applying for the EPIK program since I didn’t get into JET. I had a great time in South Korea. I lived in Yeongdo and had a.. difficult experience but I learned a lot. Trial by fires and all that. I have a chronic condition, several actually, that made it hard. When you guys posted the video about EDS, I was really moved. It was soothing to hear about someone else going through these kinds of challenges, to see a loving couple overcoming it as well and that same idea: to not let it prevent you from living the life you want to live.

Right now I’m in the middle of a prolonged (3 year) flare up and still recovering from an ACL injury I got while at Beomeosa with my students. Japan has been a place I’ve dreamed of visiting since I was little. Korea–I didn’t speak a word when I landed, but I loved it too. I’ve had classmates and friends who have lived and worked in Japan and they say much the same as you two do. They prefer Japan because it’s quieter. Some prefer Korea, it’s their second home. It isn’t a better than sort of situation. It’s about finding a place that you feel at peace and happy at.

I loved Busan. I’d give anything to go back to visit of course. However, despite the offer to return to teach, I am working to getting my health in line and moving to Japan to teach. Youtube videos like you guys and a few other Japanese Youtubers put out are so fun and interesting! I really look forward to the content you guys get out here for us. ^ ^ It brightens my week when I’m having trouble getting out of bed to see Martina working as hard as she does, knowing what it’s like myself to have those days where it’s all of the nopes physically.

But yeah, that’s me right now! Working through Kanji, brushing up on teacher education courses/info, looking into starting my own youtube content, and trying to get things in line for another adventure. :) Keep being awesome you two!

24. Being back and forth in Korea for 3.5 years, it’s time for me to leave. Not only discovering that my Korean boyfriend of almost 2 years had been lying and cheating, but seldom feeling respected and belonging here (between work contracts being broken, the “OMG a Foreigner speaking Korean”, and the very self absorbed culture), I have decided to give Japan a try. I will be moving to Japan next year for uni. I have some wonderful memories in Korea, but I think Japan will make me happier. Please pray or send happy vibes my way. Thank you.

25. I think you guys did a great job on this video and blog post. Who knows why some people get so outraged over the fact that sometimes, some humans have different opinions.
    Anyway, I actually found this video really encouraging. I’m also Canadian, and my husband and I are planning on moving to Japan this coming summer or fall. I’m just finishing up my BA and I’ve applied to teach English. We were undecided about where in East Asia we wanted to go, but it was weird… when I finally decided to take Japanese language classes in university — instead of the language classes I’d taken for three years because I thought they would be more practical (haha whatever that means) — it was only a couple weeks later that you guys posted that you were moving to Japan. Maybe it sounds silly, but I’ve been following you guys for a while now, almost four years (which is not even long compared to some Nasties out there) but to me, it felt like I had finally made the right decision. I have always loved Japan and I’ve been considering teaching for a few years now, and so the combination of finally choosing to take Japanese classes, and few other little things, and then you guys moving to Japan last year, it felt like the universe was like YES! YOU’VE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE AND NOW SIMON AND MARTINA CAN BE GUIDES ALONG YOUR WAY!
    And maybe Japan won’t work out for us, and that’s fine. Mostly, I just want to try it and see how it goes, and I think it’s going to be an awesome adventure for my husband and I to take. Deciding to move to East Asia was a big decision for us, and it was really your videos that helped us become brave enough to finally say, yes, let’s try this, and I’m really excited.
    You guys have been endlessly inspirational to me in a lot of different ways, from your incredible positivity and lightheartedness, from your talks about invisible illnesses which I also deal with, with how much work and time you put into these amazing videos for us, it’s been a great time so far, and I really hope that your time in Japan only continues to make you happy. I really feel like you’ve taught me to be a better and more positive person. Maybe it seems silly to say that to two cool folks I’ve never met, but I really feel that to be true. You guys are the best, and thank you!

Merry Christmas! and have a great year to come! <3

26. I’ve been doing the Japan or Korea question for years. I always feel like I’ll fit in better in Japan as an introvert who prioritizes nature and living in rural areas but. But I feel like in Korea it would be easier to meet and talk to people. Plus the language is easier to learn. As a librarian it’s really important for me to be able to read in a new language and Korean writing is so easy. I wish Japan would give up on the kanji because it is kind of pretentious and makes it very unwelcoming for foreigners. I don’t want things to be in English. I just want a simple alphabet that is pronounced how it looks. Anyway, your video pushes me back to the Japan side of the line I’ve drawn. I’m so glad you are happy.

One thing I really miss about your Korean videos is the TL;DR videos about some cultural element. I’ve kind of stopped watching this year because you don’t make them anymore. Maybe now that you have been there a while you are ready to start teaching us things? DFTBA,
    Jordan

• “I just want a simple alphabet that is pronounced how it looks” … says the native English speaker, as if English words weren’t pronounced completely different from how they’re written, giving an headache to all the millions of non-native speakers who try to learn the language. According to your logic English should also give up on its spelling or pronuciation since since they’re “pretentious” and “unwelcoming to foreigners”.

What is pretentious here is the fact that you expect a whole country to change their language simply because you can’t be bothered to put in the effort necessary to learn it.

• I apologize for leaving that part out. I want English to change too and find it frustrating that more and more of the world is being forced into English as a common language. A linguist friend of mine shared with me the suggestion that our verb conjugation could be simplified very easily. Why is only the s/he conjugation different than all the others? Just make them all the same. It wouldn’t be that hard to change. I WANT to learn many languages. I just want to be able to read them too because I don’t much enjoy talking to people. :)

27. Hi guys. This really is a touchy subject and I am glad you explained your perception of it. I’ve been living in Seoul for the last two years and I am a grad student here. I’ve studied both Japanese and Korean languages (not advanced) I am familiar with both cultures (just went to a trip in Japan though/ never really lived there) I have friends from both countries, and I follow a bit of pop-culture in both. So I wanted to state my opinion on the matter too.

I can’t really say which country is better overall; obviously my current situation favors living in Korea but I am thinking of moving to Japan at some part of my life too. I agree with you on many subjects like panicking employees and people making me feel like I am an unwanted chore they have to deal with. I felt like shop/restaurant employees in Japan treated me quite normally. Here there are times I feel special because some people come and compliment me for no reason, or compliment my language just because I said thank you, but there are a lot of times I get annoyed/jealous stares, or people not bothering to talk to me because they don’t feel like I worth the effort.

Traffic situation is crazy in Korea. Motorbikes on pedestrian road riding towards you and expect you to move (to the car road I guess?), taxis making you feel like you’re on formula 1 race, buses make you fall in every direction (one time we actually hit to another bus and continued driving afterwards like nothing happened). In the buses I took in Japan drivers were like “We’ll take a right turn please be careful” warning you each time, then they ever so softly take a turn and I am like “huh? that’s it? we get a warning for that?” One time some passenger mistakenly hit a stop button on a wrong bus stop and driver apologized for stopping I was like “You’re not scolding us but apologizing instead are u crazy or what?” On the other hand I feel like public transportation is much easier and cheaper in Seoul in compared to Tokyo which is something good for a student.

I agree with the part you talk about the raw energy of Korea, and Seoul the city that doesn’t sleep. This is something I like about here. I have long office hours, very boring and monotonous so when I go out at night I like seeing the city is still active and there are so many fun things to do. I don’t think I want to settle down with a silent town just yet.

When it comes to food I have to vote for Japan, I like Korean cuisine but the food here is much more extreme when it comes to ingredients and spice degree. From my point of view Japanese cuisine is more suitable to western taste. Also Japan seems to have crazier options when it comes to themes in cafes and shops which is quite exciting for me.

Something that is a huge negative point for both countries for me is local people attitude towards foreigners. No matter how polite they are, even if they hang out and have fun with me I always stay as a representative of foreigners, never a friend or an ordinary person. This got repeated with tens of people again and again and I heard the same thing from other foreigners too so I am almost sure that it is not my fault. Korean/Japanese people remain reserved until forever, they don’t share their honest feelings or thoughts with me, they don’t give away their personal life much and just try to protect the image they have in general. I get to approach to a safe distance and just toss a big wall afterwards. The point it hurts is that they ask me quite personal questions, I answer them frankly, I talk about my feelings, I talk about my family, they listen and comment on what I told but they never tell me anything back in return. Like I talk about my mom, I expect that person to say something about their mom in return; nothing, they respond by mostly commenting on me, my situation. Conversation is 90% carried out by me, about me. This can’t be just their personality because I know they talk about those stuff with their same nation friends even with mere acquaintances; so obviously I am not a friend to them. This is definitely different with Koreans or Japanese people who lived abroad in some part of their lives; they actually see you as a regular person; not as some weird foreigner. As frustrating as this is, in the end I came to accept this situation and moved on, I don’t expect anything further from them so I won’t be disappointed.

28. I was just thinking of you guys a couple of days ago and wondering how you were doing when FB memories reminded me it’s been a year and I was led to this post. Gawd so many of the stuff you said here I could relate to. It’s been a year for me too since I made some changes to my life. I just wanted to say you’re right, you should have every right to voice your thoughts and compare between the two as it’s where you’ve lived and you should have that opportunity to be able to freely talk about how you feel. One man’s meat is another’s poison. I hope you’ll take the negative feedback with lots of salt and brush them off. Glad to hear that Japan has been treating you better and I hope Martina’s health is much better too.

Merry early Christmas to you both!!! =)

29. I can’t agree more with your feelings in this video.
    I’m 26, originally from Australia but this is my third year living and teaching English in Kobe, Japan and I’m not leaving any time soon.
    I’ve found that people seem to have ‘Japanese personalities’ or ‘Korean personalities’. Many of the people I know who love living here are naturally more introspective/reserved or really love the Japanese attitudes and values. On the other hand, the friends who visit Korea and instantly love it or prefer it to Japan are usually more gregarious, social and spontaneous. I had always imagined myself living in Korea and I enjoy visiting, but returning to Japan was such a relief.
    Even during my first holiday to Japan, it felt like I was coming home.

30. Nothing fancy, just a quick comment. I wanted to say that I am really happy that Japan has been a welcome and exciting change for you guys. While I think it is easy for others to comment on why they might disagree with your opinion or dislike the direction of your videos, it is your YouTube channel and, more importantly, your life. In order to make good videos, you have to be happy and feel inspired by the things around you. So I am really glad that you both have found that in Japan, instead of being discouraged from your experiences in Korea and discontinuing with videos all together. Also, like other commenters have said before me, we all get older and change is just a part of life. I am pleased that this change has been a joyous one for you guys and I am looking forward to more of your videos! Best wishes!!

31. Hey guys!
    First off, thank you so much for making this video. Sometimes whenever I see a troll or neitzen comment, I just feel so old and over it. I cannot imagine how it feels on your end.

Your blog post provided more insight, and I related particularly to the ‘what if’ situation if you had moved from Canada to Japan instead of Korea.
    I’m an Australian (Gold Coast, represent!) living in Tokyo, and about to sign on for my third year in teaching English with my company.
    With my personal experiences, Tokyo is similar to Brisbane in some ways. I’ve seen aggressive driving in both cities, but overall nothing as bad as you have described for Seoul. My sense of safety hasn’t changed, in fact, I feel safer here in Tokyo, despite coming from a relatively safe country.
    I never knew what peace and quiet at night was until I lived in Sydney for a brief period. The noise there in comparison to GC is crazy! Definitely something to appreciate.

Originally I was going to be here for 1 year, I guess life had other plans when they showed me the lovely neighbourhoods of suburban Tokyo, doting Japanese colleagues that keep wanting to feed me, and the glory that is CoCo Curry.

Keep up the great work guys, and I wish you all the best!

32. I agree with yalls reasoning. I was recently living in korea and i just moved back home to the states. When i visited japan on vacation i loved it! especially the food lol. but since i’ve never lived there i can’t accurately compare it to korea. But i’ve felt the same things you mentioned about korea, in regards to speaking korean, or just sticking out and feeling so out of place that i wanted to just disappear. Things i didn’t experience in Japan (even though it was only 5 days). I think it has to do with the country’s history of foreigner relations and how many mixed japanese or non japanese can speak japanese fluently and so it isn’t this big shock when a foreigner speaks the language. Regardless, I loved korea very much and since i only moved back home 2 weeks ago I’m currently experiencing reverse culture shock. I hope to one day live again in korea since it is so fun! But since i built a life there, I want to see my friends and family members again as well.

33. Hello guyz~ I have a question for you. Someone has probably already asked you about this, but I would like to know : is it hard to film in restaurants, bars and other indoor places where people gather? Do you always asks for permission when you want to film in a restaurant, tearoom etc…( i think that mcdonald’s staff don’t really care you are filming, but what about normal restaurants?) And how do you feel when you film videos around people? Do you even notice them watching you after all these years? :)

Btw I am glad you are happy in Japan and that you are enjoying some peace after being so busy for many years. :3 your videos always make me happy ^^

34. Hey Guys. I haven’t watched the video yet, but I want to say thank you for this heartfelt post, especially the last paragraph. That in particular hit home, and hit hard. This past year has been a journey of moving on from situations that no longer ‘work’ for me, realizing that I absolutely deserve happiness in my life (in all aspects of it), and refusing to settle for anything less. <3 There may be setbacks on that journey, and I still look at parts of my past fondly….but am so thankful to be where
    I am now.

35. First off, thank you for making this video even though you were scared! It is something I know I have been wondering and I have always admired you guys for tackling subjects that are difficult but approaching them in a professional and mature manner. I’m sorry so many people have been so negative about your comments.

As for my situation, it is not a typical one. I am an American college student who has lived in the North/Midwest area of the country and also the southern states. I am always nostalgic towards the north because that is where I grew up and a lot of my societal foundations are rooted there. In the South I had a hard time adjusting because I was considered a foreigner even though I never left the country. The South has a very different feel and if you are not a born and raised in a small town it makes it very hard to fit in and become part of the community. If you are born, raised, attend church, and educated in a 50 mile radius it is much easier.

During my years at university I’ve been fortunate enough to live and work in other countries. I had an internship in Scotland and felt immediately welcomed by the Scottish people. My coworkers and neighbors to the bus drivers and immigration officers were so nice and wanted to help me integrate into Scottish culture. It was the first time in almost a decade that I felt at home (and in a country I had never visited before!) Only a few people ever asked me where I was from or commented on my accent and I felt completely accepted.

Then I went to France. The French people are notorious for being unwelcoming. This is both true and false. If you get to know French people on a personal level they can be very kind, warm hearted people. However, most will not give you the chance. Even though I speak French rather well (it’s my major at university after all), I often had store owners and workers (even teachers at the university) talk down to me. Often times comments were often made by people who didn’t think I understood them about Americans and how stupid they are. Even if my French was grammatically and contextually perfect, as soon as someone heard my accent they would get a look on their face and often spoke to me in broken English. I felt less safe walking around, both crossing the street and sidewalk could be dangerous. There was a strong cultural divide that the French as a whole did not want to help you cross but expected you to magically become fully integrated into their society.

All that said, I learned that I do not want to continue using French once I finish my degree. I was so disheartened after my time abroad that I decided I never wanted to live in France. Instead, I will be returning to Scotland to complete my masters degree in digital arts. I have been longing to get out of the South for so long and now I will finally have my chance to start my life where I want to and where I feel at home.

You guys seem happier in Japan. You had some great years in Korea, but it seems clear that Japan has your hearts for the moment!

36. Hey guys, thank you for uploading such a great video. I was always a silent reader and always loved your videos and blogs etc. Today I wanted to write you guys because I am overthinking too much about my life nowadays and this video helped me to try something new. I really love Korea and I was there last year on vacation (alone) and Seoul and I connected ^_^ and in September I was in Japan, this time with a friend and I also made a lot of friends there, but still Japanese people were somehow colder for me than the Koreans.
    So this year I sent an application for an exchange semester in Seoul, didn’t work out. My friend with whom I was in Japan told me to also send an application to Japanese universities and I was like no, I didn’t connect with the Japanese people.
    And now I have the opportunity to applicate again and there are only slots left in Japan (also in Canada and USA, but never thought about an exchange semester there). I thought about it for a long time and I was thinking till today if I should send an application and saw your video. Thank you for making this video, seriously I was thinking so hard and then I watched the video and was like Simon and Martina did it as well. They went to countries without knowing anything and they survived. So after watching the video I chose to send my application letter to the Waseda university in Tokio and I really hope that I get to study there. After hearing the things you guys said I changed my mind and I think I should give Japan a second chance.

PS: even if we don’t connect after one semester, I think it will be a great experience for me, so I’m really looking forward to study there ^_^
    PPS: I really hope to see you guys someday, would be really cool to get to know you guys personally. Love you guys and thank you so much for helping me to make this decision!

• That makes me so happy! I really want people to feel more comfortable with traveling and trying new things. Reading this comment puts a smile on my face :)

37. I really love this video, not only because I really love hearing about ya’lls lives, but because I think the importance of place tends to be understated.

Three years ago I moved from Florida to California, and something I was told over and over again is that moving doesn’t solve your problems it just relocates them. Which to some extent is definitely true, but holy toledo I am so much happier now. In my entire life I have never been as consistently happy as I am now. The weather, the people, the culture, everything ‘fits’ me much better. I still love Florida in a lot of ways, and I miss it sometimes, but moving was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself.

I’m really happy it was the same for you!

38. Hello Simon and Martina. Couldn’t agree with you more. And I honestly love your Japanese videos in comparison with your videos in Korea. I hope you’ll do more great videos.

39. Hi Guys, To start off, i want to say that given such a difficult question, you guys handled it well and gave your answer with the right justification. you guys were real, honest and purely just you. Since you have been true to us in this video, i think me as an audience who has seen you grow should be too.

As you had said, these experiences are your own. These are something you had experienced by yourself in your life, we can’t judge them and say right or wrong. I am very glad that Japan had worked out so much better for you- both professionally and personally.
    However, i feel, after moving to Japan you guys have put yourselves in a box and you are just happy to be in that box. but unfortunately that box is shirking and so are you guy. for example, when you were in Korea, and when you were in your early days of video making, you guys had that amazing energy. just watching you both on a 3 mixture video put a smile on me- you guys were different, unique and i can’t find a better word, but just energetic. you used to play games with each other, the travel within the city ( Like the Namsan Tower, Coffee Prince adventures, Hongdae club adventures etc.)the TLDRs and the most creative K-pop Music Mondays. I was able to see the creativity you had, but now i don’t see that in you.
    To be even honest with you, the EatYourSushi segment is kind of dragging. Thought you guys have even answered a question of mine, i just don’t find the eagerness to watch EYS segments anymore.
    I have never been to Korea, however you showed us Korea. you guys just walked around the city and food was just a part of it. Now, you guys eat and touring the city is just a part of it. i really hope that would change. Japan has a lot to see than just restaurants….as a person on the other side of the world, i want to see it from a foreigner’s point of view.

It would have also been nice, to give Korea some compliment. After all, it was the county that made you YouTube superstars that you are today. you guys learnt and we learnt with you. You guys started your career there. Korea was a stepping stone. however, all that you told us was Korea was horrible to you. Though you might be thankful to Korea in some ways, that was not well communicated to me and i would think and understand that Korea was hell to you guys. Also Simon, comparing yourself to a person with leprosy was very crass. never expected that! However, i can’t judge your experience.

Also, on your note about your life as you tubers, i can’t tell you how proud i was when you guys announced you were staring on your own with a full fledged studio. I used to tells tories about you guys to my friends who had no idea of who you are what do you, but i just enjoyed telling them stories about you. i understand that to manage everything from ‘ corporate’ to ‘ creatives’ is a massive task. trust me i know ( Personal professional experience). I am very happy that you guys have found a wonderful agency that understands you and now you don’t have to worry about the ‘ corporate’ part. this does not mean Korea was bad to you. rules are rules. try opening a business as foreigners in a different country, you would probably need to go through something similar or much worst. each country has their own set of rules and for you guys, in Japan, you have an agency to look after that paper work and it made things easy for you. sorry but i can’t take that as a valid justification. May be you like this kind of working style than being completely independent.

Finally, guys i just want to say, each country has their own pros and cons. each country has its won charm and its own dirt. its a bit upsetting to know that the cons of Korea have stuck with you. Though i may not be able to accept your reasoning completely, both of us have our own opinions and in the end of the day its your life and i am just an audience.

Having said this as a viewer behind the computer screen always rooting for you, just wish you guys would just come of the little box you have put yourself in and show us Japan- in the old Simon and Martina style.

Until then, always loving you and always supporting you.

• Wow okay so it turns out after years of watching S&M it was this comment that made me register on the site.

I think I understand what you’re saying and expressing but yo. People evolve. People try things. People find that some things work for them, and that other things don’t. People are sometimes young twenty-somethings recently moved to a foreign country for the first time with the energy and excitement of adventure-ready youths having their first experiences. And then those people grow up. And become ten years older. And have all the life experiences that happen during that time. And are different (not better not worse, just different) for it. So I get what you were saying, but with all that you were also saying you don’t like the people that Simon and Martina have become nearly as much as you liked their previous selves. And that can be way more hurtful than it is helpful, especially because I’m pretty sure that S&M are proud of the growth they’ve made and like the people they’ve become. I know I’m proud of who I’ve developed into over the years and welcome such evolution in my fellow man as well. Hooray for change!

(Also I don’t want to come off more defend-y of people who aren’t asking for my “help” or overstep my boundaries with this but, UnicornScotch if you have been watching these videos for so long then I’d think you’d be more aware that Martina’s health condition has been becoming a bigger factor in daily life over the years and that some of the changes in video style have been to accommodate for changing needs while still allowing the whimsical self-expression that is joyful video making. I’m glad their doing what they need to to make it work, and that I still like what they’re doing. Sorry if you don’t.)

• Hi Terraki,
        I’m glad that my comment made you register with the EYK website!
        First off, all what i said was completely my thoughts and my opinions. just like everyone has their own view point, i did have mine and for as much as i love Simon and Martina, i just thought they should know what i as a viewer thought too.

See, i understand, people evolve. i started watching EYK, during my last year at Uni…now I’m in a completely different part of the world, with a job and with a boyfriend. something i did not have when i was introduced to EYK. I have evolved too- into a much mature person than i was before. however, i still do things i did during my university days in a different land and i enjoy it and i manage it better. My comment was never intended to be hurtful to anyone especially to Simon and Martina. But, i’d just wish that they would take my comment in a positive sense, than a negative one.

Ture, i have known about Martina’s EDS since the beginning and i have personally sent her well wishes on EYK’s social media. i am not asking them to go disco dance or climb a mountain…but be like how they were before. this does not mean i don’t like what they are doing today. i totally love their travel shows. With what they have become, they are trying to accommodate what they are into what they can. i understand.

So no hard feelings, to you Terraki. And to you, Simon and Martina. I never intended to hurt you guys in anyway. all i just did was truly write what ‘i’ felt and that too with a positive sense. i still love you all and will keep on supporting you no matter what.

• Seriously?? Seriouslyyyyyy??? U want her to run around Tokyo, walking for hours (those wanks were filmed the whole day, usually into the night as well!) when there are days when it’s hard for her to even get out of bed? When just sleeping ‘wrongly’ causes dislocated joints and she has to wear a sling to immobilize her arm coz her shoulder hurts so bad? When she’s a young, pretty 30-something lady who has to use a walking stick some days when her body isn’t cooperating?

Just because you don’t see it in the videos, doesn’t mean she’s not hurting. EDS is crippling!! Her whole life has changed in these few years, so yeah, she can’t be doing things as she used to 8 years ago.

God, how entitled you are, spoilt brat! Every video that they put out is like a gift to me. A sip of water in this barren desert of my life! #DramaticMuch! They don’t have to do it, u know. They can do other things to get money, but their channel grew because people like me actually love watching them and live vicariously through them. But that doesn’t mean that they HAVE to do what you tell them to do. They will make their decisions based on what is best for them. If they could do those wanks, then they would have done it, right? But they want to do different thing, and grow their skills, so who are we to judge them?

Even long-running tv shows like wheel of fortune changes their format and introduces new twists all the time. Simon and Martina are still doing food and travel videos, are still sharing a little snippet of their lives with us, but in a different way.. So let them have fun and do things their way..

Lastly, u only see a small part of their lives. There are 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week. U will see at most 2 hours of their whole week. What happens during the other 166 hours is between Simon and Martina. Only they know what they are going through. U say that they r living in a box, but just because they didn’t bring their friends into the studio and film with them, doesn’t mean that they don’t have any friends, or that they just sit at home all day staring at the wall. Even in this post, Martina is talking about how her Japanese friend was driving her around. Must they bring in alllllllllll the people in their lives into this YouTube world?

Grow up, seriously..

40. Emi

Thanks for the honesty! Don’t listen to the haters! I’m a STEM Teacher who’s also still a student living in Atlanta, GA(saw you guys at the USA Meet Your Kimchi!). I live close to downtown so violence and noise is normal to me after living here for 8 years. I come from small town Ohio so it was a huge adjustment for me. Dangerous driving is also normal to me now. I remember being so angry and turned off by how inconsiderate and aggressive the driving is in the city when I first moved here for college. I laugh with my family now about my weekly(sometimes daily) brushes with death while driving all over the city for work. I’ve encountered major accidents, rear ends, t-bones, and motorcyclists flipping off their bikes at highway speeds then rolling to a crunching stop less than 10 feet from my car and not under it because I was paying attention and slammed on my breaks fast enough. The way I deal with it and great life advice I live by is a version of the “living in someone’s shoes” idea. When you get to know or think about a person in light of their past troubles, present situation and future hopes and dreams, the temperature in the room goes down. Meaning, all my thoughts, opinions and actions make sense to me. So I try to take the time to understand how someone else’s thoughts, opinions or actions make sense to them even when I think they’re bat sh*t crazy(irresponsible driving) or we just simply disagree about something(politics).