K Crunch Cocktail: Me Don’t DJ DOC Right Now

March 1, 2012

Comments

K Crunch Coconut Cocktail

FYI: Coconuts are not nuts

Today’s KCrunch Cocktail can be best described with the following photo of a delicious coconut cocktail. Despite Simon and the scientific community’s opinion, I believe my nutty + coconut comparison makes sense and anyone who dares disagree will feel the wrath of SPUDGY!!! GO MY DIREWOLF! GO!!! MAUL! MAUL AND LICK!!! Wait…why are you licking? You should be mauling and biting, sending ripples of fear into their fragile hearts…and now you’re getting tummy touches. At least sneeze on them the way you sneeze on me in the morning! You can at least do that for me can’t you? Spudgy! Spudgy?! Come on! SON OF A—

1) Psy: “Right Now”

So we’re starting off today with PSY: one of our all time favourite entertainers. I really want to emphasize the entertainment aspect of PSY because he has so much stage presence. And the engery! WHOAAAAAAAAAA WHERE DOES HE GET IT ALL FROM!!! We mentioned before that we saw him live at the YG family concert, and when he came on stage he got everyone up and dancing with him. If he was in Harry Potter he would be the first male Veela. Any HP fans out there? OOOOOooh that reminds me, I’m reading a new magical detective book series right now by Ben Aaronovitch. I finished his first book “Rivers of London” and now I’m onto “Moon Over Soho” and it’s a cool twist on the world of magic. FOCUS MARTINA FOCUS! Sorry, PSY. The video for “Right Now” is also an awesome video as I think it shows something we would all love to do when bored or stuck in traffic…break out into synchronized dance with hot backup dancers (keep your eyes peeled for the distracting blonde guy). If you haven’t heard or seen this video you are REALLY missing out.

2) 4 Minute: “I My Me Mine”

Next up is Simon’s former favourite girl group, 4Minute. Their first few songs, including “Muzik”, “Hot Issue” and “I My Me Mine” were totally awesome, and we often ran around the house dancing and singing, but after that they didn’t release any songs that we found catchy. Not like their other songs at least. “I My Me Mine” is such an awesome grimy robotic sounding song that keeps our attention non-stop. It even changes sounds several times going from a quick grimy loud beat, to a softer sound, then loud beat, back to a quick powerful grimy sound with shouting vocals. Not to mention how catchy the click click click click part is but good googely goo the English pronunciation is the worst we’ve ever heard.

WARNING! INCOMING RANT ABOUT BAD ENGLISH IN KOREA!!! Skip it if you don’t have time!!!

Now some people have criticized us for rating the English in kpop songs, and have suggested that it hurts the singers’ feelings, and it’s rude, and so on. But when we hear things like that, we think that people are really looking down on Korea. But that’s not the case. What we are looking down upon are these huge multi-million dollar kpop companies who include English for the sake of…what?

South Korea is a country where people predominantly speak Korean, so who is the English in a song or on a billboard? Is it for the tourists? Well it can’t be, because the English is often so nonsensical that English speakers can’t understand it. Maybe they have a lack of Korean English speakers so they’re just trying their best to translate? Well that’s not true either, because there are TONS and I mean TONS of fantastic Korean English speakers that are never consulted for their English. And why is it that kpop groups that have fluent English speakers born and raised in English speaking countries are forced to speak garbled English even though they KNOW it’s wrong?

We believe that there are two reasons. The first is that English is seen as trendy, and Korea wasn’t originally making music for the rest of the world to listen to. The Hallyu wave is a new trend but before that English sounded cool and it didn’t matter if it was correct or not because no one really cared. Just like non-Asian speakers that don’t research their Chinese or Japanese tattoo and end up with LAZY instead of STRENGTH.

The second reason has to do with the Confucius ideals engraved in the Korean workforce. Majority of fluent English speaking Koreans are a part of the younger generation and the older CEOs of many companies don’t speak English as well as their younger employees. The problem arises in that a younger employee cannot correct an older, more powerful CEO without risk of being disrespectful to their elders. So, if the CEO of a huge well known Korean company approves the most terrible English on a huge billboard, the younger employees are helpless to the decision. Of course not all members of Korean society are like this, but we and our friends witnessed small instances of this Younger/Elder stance when we were teaching, as many of our English speaking Korean co-teachers wouldn’t speak English in front of the non-English speaking Principal so as to not insult him. Or worst, they wouldn’t consult us when putting up a huge English banner on the side of the school with terrible English.

The point we’re trying to make, is that someone handed these lyrics to a kpop group, and our springboard for this discussion today is 4minute. Even though the members of 4minute are clearly not strong English speakers, they were forced to sing English lyrics without the guidance or help from the many English speakers in Korea. Our concern is that with the rising popularity of Korean music, those who love Korea won’t care about the terrible English, but the new listeners will be unable to focus on the music itself and only mock the English and put that song/group into the stereotype of Bad English Speaking Asians. Considering the amount of money and resources these huge companies have, we think they should be more considerate about what they are making their artists do.

And finally, we would never meet someone on the street in Korea and mock or laugh at their mispronunciation of an English word. Learning to speak another language is super difficult, especially training your tongue to move in a new way for a foreign sound. We specifically point our English rating towards those companies that are using English irresponsibly for the sake of being trendy, but are not thinking about the people who have to be the face of it.

RANT OVER. I HAVE SPOKEN!!!!!

——-
3) DJ DOC: “나이런사람이야”

Well that was an unexpected rant that just poured out of my fingertips. To the DJ DOCmobile! NANANANANANAAA! DJ DOC are actually three guys and they are HI-larious. They have tons of songs out since they’ve been around since the 1990’s. I heard them a lot when my students would make a slideshow or a funny movie, it seems DJ DOC always ended up in the background as music. Probably because it works nicely with a timeline. The name of this song is my personal translation so I’m not sure if it’s right (help me) but I think it’s something like This Is a Music Video or His Old School Music Video or something….help me!!!!! The video is hilarious and the song is deeply catchy. NAAAAAAAA EEEERAN SARAM EEE EYAAAAAAA!!!!!! Also, can someone tell me if that’s UV making a guest appearance?

4) Super Junior: “Don’t Don”

Super Junior Old Picture

Super Junior Old Picture

Our last video is a video request for an old school Super Junior song “Don’t Don” which was before our kpop time. We left this video feeling a little traumatized. I guess it’s the same thing when people watch an old school Vanilla Ice video…you kind of had to be there to understand it. So besides the style of clothing and hair being way wayyyyyyyy different then what we’re used to, the song wasn’t terrible, but we’re not really into the rock guitar + pop vocals combo. But it seems Japan really really loves this combo and hasn’t outgrown it. The whole kind of shaggy mullet hairdo is also still popular in the Japanese jpop and jrock world, but even though I love Japan, I just can’t like that hairstyle.

I’m really happy Korea tends to flow with new trends and try to re-invent their kpop artists. Speaking of re-invented, we really like the current Super Junior look and sound, much more then their old stuff, but I guess the die hard fans who were there from the start will like everything. Die hard fans, we need to know: who are all these other guys? When did the group change members? And why does it look like they haven’t aged…are they vampires!!!!!??? OMG!

That’s it for now! If you’ve got any thoughts about the English in Kpop issue, let us know in the comments. Or, if you’d like us to talk about a song in one of our playlists, send us a video response via YouTube! Woot!

Comments

K Crunch

K Crunch Cocktail: Me Don’t DJ DOC Right Now

1. in the second to last paragraph, line 3, *than*

2. now when I listen to DJ DOC’ s 나 이런 사람이야, the beats are quite similar to gangnam style. well both of the songs are composed by Psy so no plagiarism here.

3. If Don’t Don surprised you, you should see Super Junior’s Twins/Knock Out

4. Can you please do review of some of the old DBSK songs like Jung ban hap or Rising Sun for example? Even if it’s just in k crunch pleease. It is really sad that new kpop fans only know DBSK for mirotic..or kyhd. It would be great if you could introduce them to old dbsk songs. Thank you ^^

5. I love you for spotlighting Psy. I love you for spotlighting Psy. I can say this a million times and it will not convey how much I love you for spotlighting Psy.

6. Right Now sort of reminds me of Party Rock Anthem…

7. BTW THE GUY ON THE LEFT IS KIBUM HE LEFT TO PURSUE HIS ACTING CAREER, KANGIN IS IN THE ARMY YESUNG AND DONGHAE ARE STILL IN SUPER JUNIOR. SO THEY ARENT DEAD :)

8. i like JYP as much as some people hate him i really like him

9. well done! i haven’t watched the videos yet (cuz i’m at work, eheheh….) but i just wanted to pop-in and say that i approve of your English rant! i hope that with your growing notoriety in Korea, this will maybe come to the attention of said companies and maybe provoke a change! (one can only hope).

The situation in Japan is really similar (except with WAAAAAAAAAY worse English pronunciation….) and i could really relate to the older/younger thing you were talking about… i’m an English teacher here, and just yesterday i had to cheer up one of my Japanese coworkers because apparently the older teachers keep getting on her case (about dumb random shit) when she is a much better English teacher than they are. (her pronunciation is better, her way of teaching is more fun and much more prone to induce learning). it made me sad cuz that happens way too often, that they put age/experience before any actual talent… *sigh*

oh well, anyways, keep on fighting!!

10. I agree on the English rant for the most part. They add nonsense lyrics to sound cool and it comes out sounding worse than it would have in plain Korean, but I must defend them a little bit. As you probably know, being teachers, they don’t have all the sounds that we have so they have to guestimate  when they put into the Hangul, which is probably what most of the members get. Which would explain T.O.P.’s mess up on trauma (ex: trauma vs. tra-eoma). There’s also the difference in where they emphasize the sounds. I get into all sorts of trouble cause I don’t emphasize the correct part of the word. That’s the only defending I can really do because you do make a good point. The senior/junior thing is extremely prevalent and it even spills into the friendships I have with Koreans studying at my college here in America. A few of my friends know that I try to show the proper respect when I know it and so they make sure I know it even if it would be considered embarrassing by Western standards. Enough of my rant~

11. u know those ppls on the right is yesung top right circle and donghae bottom right circle and the guy next to the other left circle went to the army and coming back dis year some time soon and the guy top left circle left super junior to pursue his acting career

12. Ooh you like DJ DOC! I always pronounced that as doc, as in doctor… My bad. I can totally see Simon raising the roof up in here to Run To You, if you haven’t already you should totally check that out… Bounce with me, BOUNCE!!

Totally agree about the mullets – Macgyver hair was never a good idea on anyone. Ever. But aside from that I actually love Don’t Don – including the violin. And yes, even the hip thrusts :-)

13. For the Super Junior Old Picture (From left to right)
    The first circle is Kibum. He went to work his solo activities as an actor but will be coming back soon in the predicted time of November 2012. The second circle is Kangin is currently in the army after an accident that happen but he will be returning soon in the predicted time of April 2012. Third circle is Yesung and he’s still in the group. He’s hair just looks different from what it currently is. Last or fourth circle is Donghae. He’s still in the group same thing. His hair looks really different from what it is now. I hope that clears up everything. And I think you guys should see TVXQ’s Tri-Angle… Yeah but the song is amazing from my point of view. Also Super Junior’s debut song Twins (Knockout) like I said… Yeah… Again the song is amazing from my point of view. Also… as everyone mentioned before. That violinist player. Was Henry. The boy is from Hong Kong (Father’s side) and Taiwan (Mother’s side) but was raised in Toronto, Canda. Not sure how this is going to make you like him but yeah… Lastly. From my opinion. I loved the violin solo.

14. SUPER JUNIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM LIKE A  DIE HARD FAN!!!!!!! THANK YOU SIMON AND MARTINA!!!!!

15. I LOOOOOOOVE DJ DOC!! my first encounter was Run to You, I heard it from my brother and thought it was too hilarious to not like. I think this song is called “I’m that kind of person”

I agree with your english rant, so I must admit I have a double standard when it comes to Korea. I giggle my face off at Japanese songs, because they are REALLY gigglesome sometimes, but with the Korean ones I usually don’t notice. OKAY, I IGNORE! but only when its bigbang (…top……..) hehe ok I giggle at that too. uhm… I dunno, I .. I … I….. *TOP/VIP* does not compute. does not compute. *explodedbrain*

ok, so whenever they make a freshness It makes me cry inside, because it loses something, maybe a little respect, or.. dignity… or… serious points? its ok in a silly song, but when they are singing “I Lobe you” its like  “…..”  But Like you say, as a fangirl VIP I let it slide because I think their voices and faces are much more noteworthy than their pronunciation, but I think its also because I’m a bit bilingual, so I appreciate how hard it is to speak a different language T_T But I also know people are not so forgiving. especially when they think everyone should speak their language..

P.S. I LOVE PSY!!!! HE IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!

16. the haven’t aged part about super junior is true XD it’s true for a lot of male korean idols! sungmin and leeteuk are great examples, they still look really young faced, but they dress maturely (real maturity level though XD they’re kids at heart). leeteuk is close to 30 (korean age) now! and sungmin is 27 i think.

17. now im wondering how about hangeng?? shouldnt u circle him too. and kim heechul. you probably didnt recognize the guys on the right.

18. YUSSSSS! PSY’s Right now is SO my jam! I have that song on my i-Pod and the video saved to my i-Tunes on my laptop for long trips and/or the between-college class streaks of boredom (I sadly have no fancy-shmancy i-Pod to watch it on, or else I’d be watching it ALL the time) I even made up a dance to it (yes I know there’s already a dance for it, but mine’s so much better. Well, not really but, whatever…).

And I know a whole mess of ELFs have probably already explained the missing/added members of Suju to you, but just in case you guys are still confused, I’ll add my ten cents (and I know my shiz, so don’t worry).

So, in the picture, two of the guys circled HAVE indeed left, while the other two are still in the group so…fail (of course they’re ALWAYS changing styles, so its really hard to place them if you don’t know their faces).

-The two guys circled on the left-hand side are Kibum and Kangin (from left to right). Kibum left to pursue an acting career long ago, while Kangin joined the army in 2010, and he’s set to be finished by summer of this year.

-The guy with the BRIGHT blonde hair to the lower right of Kangin who isn’t circled is Hangeng. He left as well, after a not-so-nice lawsuit (think JYJ), and he WAS the only foreign member of the group (he’s Chinese and they’ve since created Super Junior M with foreign members).

-The other two circled are Yesung and Donghae, who are still active members.

-The dude on the violin in the video is Henry (he’s Taiwanese-Canadian), the one who’s a native English speaker (he’s from Toronto ^^). He’s only in Super Junior M, though. They just put him in this video for fun, I guess.

-One other member they’ve added is Zhou Mi (who’s Chinese), but he’s only in Super Junior M as well.

-Last but not least, Kyuhyun and Heechul aren’t included in the picture, but Kyuhyun is also an active member of Super Junior, while Heechul just joined the army last August. I have no idea why they aren’t in the picture, though…

Sorry my post was SO LONG and FILLED with CAPS (and parenthesis), but I at least hope my explanation was able to help in some way. :)

19. Really liked this one. Especially Psy’s Right now and DJ DOC

20. I’m going to ignore the question about changing the group members of SJ, and just assume that is you guys being facetious, because really?  o.0

But seriously, you had not seen Don’t Don before?  Henry’s violin solo is EPIC!  That boy is so immensely talented, and honestly he is rather wasted with SME, but at least I get to see him every time I watch this MV and everytime there is a new SJ-M MV.

Also, thanks for adding Psy in here.  I had heard of him but not actually remembered sitting down and taking time to listen to him.  I have yet another KPop artist to groove to.  :D

21. Thank you, you just made my morning perfect with these great videos. Now to tackle the latest snow blizzard here in Minneapolis.

22. Don’t Don video: There aren’t actually any extra members in that video, though I suppose if you pick up from Bonomana, then there are a few surprises. Hangeng is still there, dancing at the front with his ice-blonde hair, and this is before Kibum mysteriously disappeared and Kangin left for the army. The boy playing the violin is Henry, a canadian music prodigy (no really, he’s some kind of genius that SM found through his dominance of the Canadian classical scene)  and currently a member of Super Junior M. SM had originally planned to add him into Super Junior with Don’t Don as they had added Kyuhyun in 2006, but the backlash from the fans was so strong that he didn’t reappear on official Super Junior albums ever again. So- the group didn’t really change members.
    And yes, Eeteuk is a vampire. This is the only explanation.

23. in DJDOC’s video what kpop videos were they parodying? <<<< weird word… haha lol and yea i know i was like o.0… with the SuJu video. hahaha x]]]

24. It seems like suju don’t don is now an old song haha
    it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a picture of the 13…
    about the members you encircled, they are Kibum, who (i think) is busy with his acting career, Kangin who enrolled in the army, Yesung and Donhae who are still both performing with the others…
    nice song selection by the way!

25. I think a saw an awesome live version of this Super Junior Song on Youtube somewhere. But never the video.

26. OMG psy is AWESOME. This is SOOO going on my iPod.
    AND SO IS DJ DOC. OH LAWD.
    And violin solo?! DEAR GOD, HENRY. You’re a freaking BEAST. <3

27. Thank you so much for touching on English in K-Pop! I used to be one of those snobby indie kids and thought “uh it’s kinda tacky they’ve random nonsensical English phrases in Korean/Chinese/Japanese pop songs…” but now that I’ve come to like K-Pop as well, I’m hearing that same comment from friends when I introduce K-Pop songs to them.

And I do get why they can’t overlook the Engrish to enjoy what’s actually a really good song, because I was like that too. It’s just too distracting!

And despite knowing that’s how Confucian societies are like (I live in one after all…) I cringe for the native/fluent English speakers in groups that are made to sing lines that make no sense whatsoever.

If these groups really want to expand to the US and other predominantly English-speaking markets, they need to realise how distracting bad English phrases can turn potential fans away!

Sorry for the very long comment and I hope your leg’s much better now, Martina! :)

28. yes i just watched SuJu’s “Knockout” and now YOU HAVE to watch it… its toooo funny! xD and im a pretty big SuperJunior fan. but i was like NO throughout the video lol

29. By the way, Don’t Don was the very first video I watched of Super Junior. This was the boy group I fell in love with…. but it’s true that whenever I look back at this video, I snicker a little (their hair and bad-assness is just too cute).

30. I honestly have been waiting to see Simon and Martina review an old video of Super Junior (and BEG and SNSD). Teehee.

The first two comments already explained who the four SJ members are. So yeah. :D I also agree that they do not age. Just look  at Sungmin! Haha. Still cute as ever. XD

31. Oh, and another thing I wanted to say about “Don’t Don” is that it’s imo Super Junior trying to be hardcore when they’re clearly not hardcore. The concept they have in the music video was was one that they hard for just the song because they started out with a cute image, beside whatever “Twins (Knock Out) was, seeing as one of their other early songs “Miracle” is really cute and energetic.

32. There actually IS a live version without the violin solo but with a guitar solo XD

• oh! Dont Don SS3 remix will always be my favorite Dont Don version..
      Its so epic! xD

33. if you thought don’t don was weird you HAVE to watch their debut ‘twins (knock out)’ it’s the worst mv i’ve ever seen hahah and trust me, you will be having nightmares about heechul, the faces he makes omg.

• man, but I love retro!suju….they’re trying so hard! Haha
      and you have got to love the TWINS music video if only for Donghae, who looks like he’s 12, but still hardcore <3

34. Asking about Super Junior members… You could get some pretty long responses on that. They were originally suppose to be 12 member rotational group that changed members every year, and then SM added Kyuhyun making the member list permanent with Shindong, Leeteuk, Heechul, Siwon, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae Eunhyuk, Hankyung, Kibum, Yesung, Kangin and Kyuhyun. The four people circled in the picture (left to right) are Kibum, Kangin, Yesung and Donghae. I will refer you to their Wiki to read about all the member changes through out the years because it is long. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Junior P.S. The violin guy in the “Don’t Don” MV is Henry, and he is only an additional member, along with Zhou Mi, of Super Junior M.

35. I saw the PSY video a long time ago, somehow it was playing on my computer??? Never knew who it was and now I do, thanks. I have to say I have so wanted to do that while sitting in TRAFFIC!!

36. tnx so much for his! i loved dj doc and didn’t know it untill now!

37. in SJ. 1st guy, he’s focusing on his acting career, and I think, he isn’t coming back to SJ anymore XD. 2nd guy… currently in Army. 3rd guy and 4th guy, Yesung and Donghae, who became sooo gorgeous as time goes by :D

38. Kibum, Kangin, Yesung and Donghae! :D Kibum has put his idol career on hold at the moment, to pursue his dream of acting, and Kangin is currently in the military, will be discharged this year! Yesung and Donghae just look dramatically different with their hairstyles, but they’ve been present in everything including Mr Simple. :P But I do agree, they look forever young. I need their secrets.

• Maybe the next time I meet them I should club one of them over the head and collect his tear drops for a youth serum. That or ask what makeup they’re using…probably the clubbing is the best route.

• but they look good too wifout makeup. so i thnk u guys better go for the clubbing. pls do share the serum too k.!

39. Strange that you were surprised by olde Super Junior, have you not seen “Tri-Angle” by DBSK feat BoA and the Trax? Cause there is a whole lot of “uhhh…’ in that.

40. I love Henrys violin solo XDDD