Go Premium
Facebook Twitter Google Plus
  1. Living
  2. Teaching
  3. Blogging
  4. Bucheon
  5. Owning Pets
  6. Food

What Should I Pack to Korea?

We have a movie dedicated to this answer, to let you know just about everything you can and cannot bring. Check out What You Should Pack to Korea here.

What’s Considered Improper or Strange?

  • Blowing your nose when eating
  • Certain hand gestures
  • Excessive public displays of affection
  • Tattoos (especially large tattoos)
  • Low cut shirts (or showing excessive skin)

What’s Considered Acceptable or Otherwise Normal?

  • Meeting new people and asking their age or marital status
  • Spitting and coughing up phlegm in public
  • No seat belts in the backseat of a car/taxi
  • Smoking indoor restaurants and bars
  • Riding motorcyles/bikes with no helmets
  • Motorcycles/buses run red lights
  • Heterosexual women holding hands
  • It is acceptable for heterosexual men to be touchy with each other (kindof like a football or sports team…)
  • Not apologizing for bumping into people (this isn’t rude, it’s just crowded…think of living in NYC)
  • You don’t leave tips (we have to tip at restaurants/bars/hair salons in Canada)
  • The elderly get free subway tickets and will reach over you to get a ticket even if you’re in the middle of paying
  • Excessive drinking
  • Fish at a restaurant is never de-boned
  • If you’re out with your boss or someone much older, wait for them to eat first before starting

What’s Considered Polite?

  • Accepting food/items/money with two hands
  • Pouring drinks for other people
  • Receiving a poured drink with two hands
  • Giving money with two hands (for more on how to use your hands, watch our video on Korean Hand Gestures)
  • Head nodding to say “hi” (a type of mini-bow)
  • ALWAYS removing your shoes before entering someone’s house (and some restaurants)

What Odd and Unclassifiable, yet Common Things should I be Aware of?

  • Not having toilet paper in all public washrooms (keep toilet paper with you)
  • Not forming a line up and/or budding in line
  • Close standing (this is just a personal space difference)
  • The cars have the right of way and the buses may try to smush you–be careful!
  • Usually one person pays for the bill and they don’t split bills

How Do I Get a Cell Phone?

We recommend getting a Korean friend or co-worker to come with you. You’ll need to fill out forms written in Korea (thanks Korean friend!) and sometimes you need them to co-sign for your phone plan, but don’t worry, it’s simple once you’re used to it. You can get a phone at a cell phone store (ie: Show, SK, KTF) but if you’re looking to haggle for a deal, head to Yongsan Electronics Market (located at Yongsan station) and head upstairs to the cell phone floor.

  1. A Pre-paid Card Phone: (for used cell phone or new cell phones)

    The per-minute rate is expensive, but recieving calls is always free and text messaging rates are quite reasonable. If you get a prepaid card phone, there is no hookup or monthly fees. You buy the phone and buy time as you need it. Card phones can be quite a bit more expensive than the monthly plans, depending on how much you use it. You can buy cards at the SK or KTF cell phone stores (depending on which one your phone is listed under).

  2. Sign up for a Plan with a Korean friend as your co-signer: (for new phones only)

    By far the easiest and cheapest option. You will need a VISA or Mastercard of your own and your Alien Registration Card (ARC). The bill may be set up to come directly out of your friend’s bank account but you can change this option. We have our bills sent directly to our house. The only thing we need our friend for now is changing our cell phone plan (ie: canceling or adding options) as they have to give their ID number.

    But, oftentimes doing this can be very annoying and time consuming, so if you’d like to save yourself the hassle and have it just done for you, you should check out The Arrival Store and let them do it for you. No ARC needed, no other documents required. You can have a phone waiting for you when you get there, or sent to you within a couple of days if you’re already in Korea. Done!

Any Other Tips?

  • Life can be hard for vegetarians, as most places do NOT offer a vegetarian alternative, and even if you tell them NO MEAT, you still might find a small piece. Also, much of the food has tiny shrimp or other meat seasonings in it.
  • There are two types of toilets: the kind you sit on (a “normal” toilet) and the type in the ground that you have to squat and use (click here for a video on Korean Toilets).
  • Showers are not sealed. Water floods the washroom floor and exits down a big drain. Most Koreans have special rubber washroom slippers. Thee floor is raised between your home and the washroom to keep the water in the washroom.
  • When you order home delivery (or take-out) you are given real dishes and utensils that you leave outside your door when you are done. They will come back and pick them up.
  • The bread is REALLY REALLLY SWEET! It was hard for us to find brown bread with grains in it, and half a loaf costs us $4.50
  • There are no deli sandwiches! Expect to find ham and mock chicken deli meat ONLY. Some people may be lucky enough to be near a Subway Sandwich place. This is only listed here because Martina likes her sandwiches.
  • Many restaurants have table buzzers you press to get the waiter’s attention. If you don’t press it they won’t come to your table.

What Should I Know About Drinking Culture?

  • Don’t Decline the First Round

    Even if you’re not a drinker, you should accept the first glass poured for you. If you decline, you’ll ruin the drinking mood. Afterwards, you’re safe, and can back out. Cite religious or health reasons if you must, but – be warned – drinking is an important part of Korean socializing, and if you refuse then you won’t be considered sociable. This is high-school peer pressure to a whole new level. So, when you finally cave, and give in to drinking with others, watch out for the next step

  • Watch Your Hands

    Never pour your own drink, for starters, and never let anyone pour their own drinks. Afterwards, when someone older than you offers you a drink, hold the glass with two hands. When you pour a drink for someone older than you, hold the bottle with two hands. It sounds odd, but you’ll get used to it. In fact, we recently met up with a friend here in Korea, and he was fully confused to see us holding our glasses when he poured out beer. Finally, refill someone’s glass if you see that it’s empty as well.

  • Don’t Stop Drinking

    The big difference between Korean and Western drinking is how we handle our limits. See, the way I’ve been raised is to respect my limits; if we get to the point that we’re drunk then it’s time to stop, drink some water, and sober up. Mission accomplished! The Korean attitude is different here. Getting drunk is only half the battle. Once you are drunk, the real challenge is in how much more you can drink before you drop. And when you drop it is only a timeout for you; get back on your feet and drink some more.

  • Encourage Others

    It is perfectly acceptable, and even encouraged, to drink beyond your limits here in Korea, as your friends will goad you on. We’re used to saying “Chug Chug Chug!” back home; here, you’ll often hear “One shot! One shot!” which – obviously – suggests that you should drink it all down in just one shot (but it’s beyond me why this is in English and not Korean). As well, instead of the “cheers” we’re used to saying, get prepared to say “Kon-Bay!” before you clink your glasses.

  • Drink in Public

    There are no laws against public consumption of alcohol (or, at least, these laws are flagrantly violated). Restaurants here are not all too large because of confined and competitive real-estate, so many restaurants serve you outdoors. And, of course, you might want a drink with your meal. The problem with that is that there is no clear line that can be drawn as to where the restaurant begins and ends, so people eat and drink “at” a restaurant rather than “in” one. And so, since the laws against drinking in public (if they exist) can’t be upheld, then it’s widely accepted that people will get drunk in public. Quite often we’ll see people drinking outside of convenience stores, as tables have been set out for people to sit and drink at.

  • Drink Any Day You Want

    What surprises us the most about drinking here is that it is done every day of the week, and isn’t necessarily strongest during the weekends. When we walk around Bucheon on Wednesday nights we see people in business suits shouting Kon-Bay and slamming down shots of Soju, then staggering home just as they would on the weekend.

  • Have a Meal With that Drink

    While we’re used to thinking in terms of having a drink with our meal, here in Korea the mentality is often to have a meal with that drink: the alcohol is the main course while small shared appetizers compliment the drink. Small fruit salads or crackers and chips will go nicely with that Soju.

Back To Top

What Education Do You Two Have?

We both majored in English and Minored in Religion (Martina has an extra minor in Philosophy while Simon bumped up his major to a Specialist), and we both also have our Teaching Degrees for Intermediate/Senior students.

Holy Crap! Is That What I Should Study to Teach in Korea?

No, not at all! All you need is a bachelor’s degree in anything. We know people here who have degrees in music, film, and petroleum engineering, along with zero experience teaching. Now, since we had a lot of experience teaching beforehand, our time here teaching is easier than that of most others, because we’re used to dealing with classrooms, but we know plenty of people who have come here with no experience in teaching and have grown into fantastic teachers. Ideally, if you’re totally gung-ho for Teaching in Korea, we’d suggest you study linguistics and Korean and do a degree in Teaching as well. That would be great.

How Much Will I Get Paid with Gepik?

The pay categories are as follows:

  • Category 6 – 1,600,000 won per month

    – Completed minimum of two full academic years at a college or university or
    – Graduated from a technical/community college program comprised of minimum 2 years

  • Category 5 – 1,700,000 won per month

    – Category 6 plus one of the following:
    – One year full-time English teaching experience at accredited institution(s)
    – TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (min.of 100 hrs) Certificate

  • Category 4 – 1,800,000 won per month

    – Category 6 plus one of the following:
    – Two years full-time English teaching experience at accredited institution(s)
    – One year full-time English teaching experience at accredited institution(s) AND TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (min.of 100 hrs) Certificate

  • Category 3 – 2,000,000 won per month

    – Bachelor’s degree in any major

  • Category 2 – 2,100,000 won per month

    – Category 3 plus one of the following:
    – TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (min.of 100 hrs) Certificate
    – One year full-time English teaching experience at accredited institution(s)
    – Bachelor’s Degree with a major in English Literature / English Language / Linguistics (must clearly be stated on either diploma certificate or official transcript)

  • Category 2+ – 2,200,000 won per month

    – Category 3 plus one of the following:
    – Master’s Degree
    – Elementary, Middle, or Secondary School Teacher’s Certificate
    – Bachelor’s Degree in Education (must clearly be stated on either diploma certificate or official transcript)
    – Employed as a Category 2 teacher at GEPIK for one full year

  • Category 1 – 2,300,000 won per month

    – Category 3 AND minimum two years full-time English teaching experience at accredited institution(s) plus one of the following
    – Master’s Degree
    – Elementary, Middle, or Secondary School Teacher’s Certificate
    – Bachelor’s Degree in Education (must clearly be stated on either diploma certificate or official transcript)
    – TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (min.of 100 hrs) Certificate

  • Category 1+ – 2,500,000 won per month

    – Category 1 AND minimum two consecutive years of employment within GEPIK
    (i.e. minimum of four years of English teaching experience as a Category 1 teacher)

What Else Should I Know About Gepik?

You can download the full Gepik contract here. Give it a read through before you sign it, so that you’re not surprised by anything afterwards. Your co-teacher does not have the contract memorized, and may be confused about some things, so it’s important for you to know the contract yourself. Some things worth noting:

  • Sick Days

    Korean schools don’t have “substitute teachers” the way we’re used to from back home, so if you call in sick you’re really putting your school in a jam. The contract says that you have a set number of sick days, but with WITH YOUR PRINCIPAL’S PERMISSION. Meaning, if you’ve got the sniffles and want to stay home, your principal is going to call you and tell you to come into school.

  • Vacation Days

    Your vacation will be different from your co-teacher’s vacation. A lot of confusion arises here, as your co-teacher may think that the same terms apply to the two of you. Specifically, the contract states in Article 12:
    Employee shall be entitled to a paid leave for a total of twenty (20) working days during the term of the employment. Paid leave may be taken at any time school is not in session, and must be approved by school principal at least 15 days in advance. Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) and the Korean National Holidays do not count as vacation days.
    The confusion arises because your co-teacher may think that weekends and holidays DO count, because they often do for them. Make sure you remember section 12 if that ever arises.

  • Indemnity

    For the first three months of your contract your school will take away 300,000 won for a grand total of 900,000 won, as an indemnity for your apartment. If, when you leave, your apartment isn’t in worse shape than when you got it, you’ll get your money back. Think of it as a safety deposit.

There’s a lot more as well, so, again, read the contract before you sign anything.

Is There an Interview or Do I Just Apply?

If you’re being hired by a reputable company, they should want to take the time to interview you. Since our recruiters came to our University’s job fair, we were interviewed in person (twice) and then presented with a job offer. We heard that most people have a phone interview, and it may be from your future employer who calls directly from Korea. If your phone interview seems sketchy or lame, don’t feel pressured to accept the job offer. There is a constant demand for English speaking teachers, so you’ll be sure to find a place you like.
As well, you can apply to Gepik directly. Go to the application page and enter your info there.

I Got a Job Offer! Now What?

Once you have accepted a job, be prepared to spend some money on background checks and mailing (both overseas and local). It will take at least a month or two to prepare for all the paperwork and mailing. It will include:

  • A police check: both a vulnerable sector check and a normal police check.
  • Two university transcripts in sealed envelopes, and your diploma.
  • Your university diploma/transcripts and police check need to be notarized by a lawyer.
  • The contract signed and mailed back to your employer.
  • Last, but not least. Your E2 visa: The process takes around 5 to 10 working days. You will have to leave your passport with the Consulate and when pick up your passport and E2 visa you will have a short interview with a Consulate official. They asked us basic questions: name, birthday, why do you want to teach in Korea, where are you teaching, etc.

Do not purchase your airplane ticket until your visa is approved!

How Do I Get an E2 Visa?

The below info is from the Korean Consulate in Toronto as of August 2008, but I’ve added to it so you don’t make the same mistakes we did.
You have to bring in the required items below all at once to apply for your E2 visa:

  • One completed visa application form (you can print it off online or get it in person).
  • Your workplace’s address and phone number.
  • A contact person in Korea (such as your employer or recruiter) for the visa application form.
  • One recent passport-sized colour photo (3.5*4.5 size, white background)
  • Original and a photocopy of your passport (remaining validity of at least 6 months)
  • $55.00 Cdn fee (Cash or Money Order Only)
  • Original university degree AND the notarized version
  • Sealed university transcript AND the notarized version
  • Police Records Search Certificate including vulnerable sector search AND the notarized version( Effective from Dec 15, 2007, must be issued within the last 3 months)
  • Original employment contract

Who Buys the Plane Ticket?

Your school should pay for your ticket. In some situations your school will buy your ticket for you, while in others you will be reimbursed for the ticket cost. We had to buy our tickets in Canada, and our school reimbursed us for the most direct flight to Korea, no frills and no fuss (so we couldn’t bump ourselves up to first class). We took a 14 hour direct flight from Toronto to Korea on Korea Air. It left at midnight (from Canada) and arrived at 2AM (Canadian time) but 3AM (Korean time). The flight cost us $1150 per ticket, and the school paid us back in our first paycheck.

Do I Have to Know Korean to Teach in Korea?

Not at all. We came to Korea without being able to speak or read it, and our lack of Korean did not prevent us from teaching. The more Korean we learned, though, the easier our lives have become here, though, and we’d definitely recommend that you learn as much Korean as possible, but by no means is Korean mandatory.

Back To Top

What camera do you use?

We use a Canon 550d, which is also known as a Canon T2i in North America. Check it out here:

It’s great for videos because it’s a DSLR, which means we can swap out the lenses for different effects. And we can take great pictures with it as well, so it’s an all around great camera. We used to use a Sanyo Xacti HD for our movies before April, which was great as well, but not that good for night shots (which is why most of our old movies are shot during the day).

What other equipment do you use for your videos?

Here’s a list of some of the other stuff we use.

–This one’s a must. The audio picked up on the Canon 550d isn’t really good at all, especially when you’re outdoors. This will record audio for you, which you can then sync up to your videos afterwards.

–The lens that comes with the Canon 550d isn’t much good either. This lens here’s the cheapest lens you can pretty much get for a Canon camera, but it’s also really freaking good, and lets you pull focus from foreground to background, and all that fancy stuff.

–The last lens was the cheapest lens: this is considered by some professionals to be the most important lens for you to get. It’s perfect for the 550d, and a lot cheaper than it can be, considering how awesome it is. Great for wide angle shots, and the lens that we’re using most often now.

–Want to shoot with the 50mm lens in broad daylight? Get this, then. It’ll let you keep your aperture open without turning your video into a blinding mess.

–Same as the other ND8 filter mentioned before, only this one’s for the Tokina lens. Also super important when you’re shooting in daylight.

–If you’re shooting video in full HD, then your memory card is going to fill up very quickly. Very quickly! Also, you need a memory card at class 6 or above to shoot video with this camera, or else your card will drop frames. Not too good. This is the card we use.

–Shooting video with a DSLR camera means your video might be really shaky. Here’s a great, foldable, ultra-portable steady-cam that presses against your shoulder to make your videos look a lot smoother. We just started using this for when we’re shooting outdoors, and it’s great.

–Sometimes we do time-lapse videos. This is what we use to do it. Simply plug it in to the camera, set your aperture and shutter speed, and set the interval at which you want to take pictures (say, one every five seconds or so), and voila. This will do it all for you.

–We find this a lot more useful than a tripod. It’s easier to carry around, doesn’t take up as much space when you set up, and still keeps your shots smooth, while allowing for some really cool panning. Definitely check this out

What do you use to edit your videos?

It depends on the kind of video we want to make. Mostly, we switch back and forth between iMovie and Final Cut. Final Cut’s better for synchronizing videos to music, but otherwise we fall back on iMovie. Sometimes we make animations in Motion as well, and add them to the movies.

Back To Top

How Do I Get to Bucheon?

Bucheon is located on Line 1 of the Seoul Metro Subway. It takes up three stops (from what we know): the first is Bucheon Station, the second is Jungdong Station, and the last – the one we most often use – is Songnae Station.
If you want to take the subway here, though, make sure you take Line 1 to Incheon. Line 1 splits and can leave you far, far away from Bucheon if you take the wrong subway. Make sure it says Incheon on the side of the subway and you should be all right.

How Many English Teachers are There?

If you’re worried about not making friends here, don’t. There are plenty of us foreigners wandering the streets. Head over to Rhythm and Booze on any night and you’ll find plenty of people there. Also, if you’re working for the public schools, you’ll more than likely be sent to a Gepik Workshop for a week, in which you’ll meet many other Native English Speaking teachers from your area, so you’ll be able to meet other people that way.

What Are Some Good Restaurants in Bucheon?

We plan on updating this question often, so make sure you check back here for more info. Or, check our Restaurant Reviews section for the full reviews.
Some of our favorite restaurants, in no particular order:

  • Chicky Pub

    Great Chilly Chicken, and pretty good cajun fries. The Chilly Yackee is really good as well. Located in an alley South-West of Emart. Read our article, or Watch our video review

  • Don Day Restaurant

    Delicious marinated Sam Gyal Sal for cheap. Located southwest on the main street dividing Emart and the Hyundai Department Store. Read our article on it here!

  • Dubu House

    Really good tofu stew for good prices. One bowl will give you leftovers, and set you back 6000 won or so. Located a little South of Don Day Restaurant, across the street from the Dunkin Donuts. Check out our review on it.

What’s The Foreign Community Like?

One of the best things about Bucheon is the close-knit foreigner community. If you’re at a public school and – as such – the only foreigner there, you can easily go to one of the foreigner bars after work, or just hang out around the Hyundai Department Store, and meet lots of foreigners there, too.

Back To Top

Where Did You Get Your Dog?

While the E-Mart pet store had really cute puppies, Korea has a huge over population of dogs in dog shelters. Why buy a puppy that is going to be bought 100% when you can save a lonely pre-trained dog? Plus, a puppy means a 4 hour bladder. If you aren’t home enough to walk/train a puppy, get an older dog!
Check out the website: http://www.animalrescuekorea.org

If you’re interested in adopting, email Ryan at [email protected] or you can also contact Tim at: [email protected] and they will meet with you and take you to the shelter.

How Do I Bring My Dog Home? Will He Be Quarantined?

We’ve taken Spudgy to and from Canada two times already, and haven’t had a single issue with him. He’s never been quarantined, and he would actually clear customs faster than we do. Follow these steps and you should be fine:

  • Before you leave Korea, make sure to go to a vet, preferably Mari Animal Hospital, and ask them for all the necessary papers to bring your pet overseas.
  • Call the airline you’re flying with and ask to book a seat for your pet.
  • Bring the papers you got from the vet to the Animal Quarantine section of Incheon Airport before 6PM the day of your flight, give them those documents, and fill out their form.
  • Bring the paper they give you to where you check in your luggage, and they’ll staple the paper to your pet’s crate and take your pet away.
  • Pay for your pet’s flight on the plane, which cost us around 270,000 won.
  • Fly away! And make sure you declare your pet on the declaration form they give you on the plane.
  • When you arrive, your pet should be at the luggage pick up. Pick up your pet!
  • Bring them to the special customs area, where they’ll look at your pet’s papers.
  • Pay the extra fee for bringing in your pet, which is around $30 Canadian.
  • Voila! Enjoy your stay with your dog in Canada!

We’re not sure what the process is like in other countries. This is just our experience with Spudgy going to and from Canada.

How Much Did It Cost to Adopt a Dog?

We’re kind of hesitant to post this online, because we don’t want to deter people from adopting dogs. Before you read on, keep in mind that Spudgy was pretty battered up before we got him, so it cost us a bit to get him fixed. All in all, here are the numbers:

First, we donated 50,000 won to the owner of the shelter for Spudgy. Next, we took Spudgy to our Vet in Sinchon. He’s awesome for two major reasons: first, his English is great, so you’ll be able to understand him perfectly. Second, he gives discounts to dogs adopted from shelters. So, our first visit to the vet was free of charge. We were scheduled more visits for the next few weeks, which weren’t all too free. The first week we had to give Spudgy X-Rays for his gimpy hips, an eye exam for his blind eye, and then just a huge blood test to see if everything’s good under the hood. After all that we got heart worm medication, shots, and medicine for his eyes and ears, and drops for his ears as well. Because it was so extensive, it cost us 300,000 won.

Spudgy had an ear infection, which we could treat, but he also had bad gingivitis and a loose tooth, which would require surgery and general anesthetic. That cost us another 300,000 won the next week, and it also included medicine for his teeth and gums, a special rinse and a special gel, as well as a toothbrush and special toothpaste. Spudgy’s a special dog.

Since then, we haven’t had to visit the vet. His tooth surgery went well (we saved the tooth!) and his infections have gone away.

How Much Does It Cost to Keep a Dog?

Not much at all. We buy a bag of Mobility Support Dry Food that costs us around 20,000 won and lasts us two months. Other than that, we buy packs of snacks and bones occasionally for 2,000-7,000 won, and they last us about a month or so. Occasionally as well Martina will see a ridiculous outfit and buy it for Spudgy. Outfits cost us another 15,000 won or so, but we barely ever buy them – only because Simon doesn’t let Martina give into her whims that often.

Can I Bring My Dog on Subways and Buses?

We have no problems bringing Spudgy around with us. As for the buses, we take him on their as well, but only when he’s in his carrying bag, which looks like a giant ugly purse filled with a dog. We hold him when we stand on the subways, and rest him on our laps when we sit. Spudgy just falls asleep, or curls into our arms and bothers no one. People stare at Spudgy, though, but just because he’s so darned cute and they all want to touch him.

Does Your Dog Ever, Err, Crave Other Female Doggies?

He’s snipped, and was snipped before we got him. Spudgy doesn’t really care for other dogs, though, as they usually slow him down on his walks. He might give a quick smell, but then quickly shuffles away to go on with the rest of his walk while the other dogs follow him. Spudgy doesn’t chase em, he replaces em.

Do You Have any Photos or Movies of Spudgy?

Of course we do! Check out our Spudgy Photos page to see him in all his glory. There’s also a small section for him on our Korean Movies page. Check him out!

Back To Top

What Do You Do For Breakfast?

If you want some “regular” breakfast items, good luck with that.

  1. There is really no such thing as “breakfast” in Korea, as most people we talk to eat rice, meat, soup, or anything else for breakfast. Breakfast places are RARE and worth a trip on the subway to a different city to go to (there is one we’ve heard of called Buttermilk, and it’s not in Bucheon). Rhythm and Booze has an “american style” breakfast on its menu, but we haven’t tried it yet.
  2. You can buy cereal at the supermarket, but it doesn’t have all the variety we’re used to, and the bread is really sweet.
  3. They have Dunkin Donuts around here, and you can get bagels, but I haven’t seen cream cheese on the menu (but I know some coffee shops sell bagels/cream cheese/scones) and we once had their english muffins with bacon, eggs, and cheese, but it just didn’t taste right, not enough salt in the bacon or something. They have muffins but with unusual flavours, and the donuts are completely different but delicious. Oh, and they have McDonald’s offers breakfasts as well.
  4. We settle for Peanut Butter and Jam mostly, or boring cereal, and sometimes when Martina is feeling fancy she makes french toast but maple syrup is an import and REALLY expensive.

How’s the Pizza There?

They’ve got Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John, and Korean brands:

  1. They try to have regular pizza, but it always has corn, not kimchi, on all the pizzas here, and – for some reason – they think that’s the American way. The pizzas are If you don’t want corn, just say “ok-soo-soo bay-ju-say-oh.” They have some unique toppings, like potato wrapped shrimp, or “golden crust” which has sweet potato paste on it.
  2. The pizzas taste good, but it’s a completely different experience, so don’t expect the pizza you’re used to, just imagine as an entirely new food group. Even the Pizza Hut pizza tastes different.
  3. This is new to us: Costco offers unbelievably delicious pizza in its food court section. Holy crap, this pizza is awesome. 12,000 won will get you a pizza big enough to feed four and good enough to make you cry. If you can’t make it out to Costco, though, you can head on over to Rhythm and Booze in Bucheon and get one of their pizza slices, which taste almost as good.

I’m Desperate for Western Groceries. Help!

You could always check out a Costco. They offer significantly more Western food than your regular Home Plus or Emart. You can get bacon, cheese, cereal, eggos, and a bunch of other stuff that you miss from back home. And you’ll love the food court there as well, so check it out. We made a video on getting there, so check it out