Korea vs Australia

September 12, 2013

Comments

Ok, so we talked about a few of the differences between Korea and Australia that we’ve noticed, and hopefully told a story or two that made you chuckle. We skipped out on the obvious ones like Australia doesn’t have as many Korean people, for example. We did notice a lot of Korean people, though! Not tons everywhere, like in Korea, but we did hear a bunch of people speaking Korean. There was even one time in which we walked by some people, and heard them do the quick “OH!” that sounds Korean. You know what I’m talking about! We turned to each other and said “they must be Korean!” and we turned around and we were right. We didn’t shout it out, of course, and embarrass everyone at hand, obviously. We’ve got more tact than that! Point is, we saw a bunch of Korean people there!

Here I Come!

Speaking of embarrassing everyone, here’s another story: the night of the Melbourne event, after all was said and done, we got together with all of the event organizers and had dinner. One of the people there claimed to be really good at staring contests. I, Simon, decided to take her on. I wanted to close my eyes for a bit first and get all the moisture back in them. She asked if I wanted a go at it. I said yes, just give me a second. And then I said we’ll go when I count down from 3. Here’s how the rest of the dialogue went.

Simon: 3
Simon: 2
Simon: …
Simon: …
Girl: Where are you?
Simon: Wait…I’m coming!

To the other patrons of the restaurant looking over at us at that moment, they saw a man, in deep concentration, with his eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed, shout out I’M COMING! Of course this was right when the song at the time finished playing, and everyone simultaneously finished their sentences. Great. Great Simon. Just great. Welcome to Melbourne, you loud comer!

Architecture

Silly stories aside, we did notice a few more major differences. The loveliest part of Australia, I’ll say, is the architecture. Austalian Nasties, your buildings are beautiful. Korea’s very bright and glittery, but a lot of the buildings here look like they were built in haste, with little coherence to them. Right now I’m looking at the big blocky box of a GAP building, next to the Go store which looks like a house from the 1940s, next to a dingy, boxy Nike store, next to a giant, glittering hodgepodge of a building with the cascading Christmas lights that haven’t been taken down since Christmas. I’m not trying to badmouth Korea here. I know that Korea’s been developing very rapidly, and it’s amazing how quickly it’s come along in 50 years, really it is, but Austalian architecture has a lot of heritage buildings. Melbourne and Sydney look like the 1800s meets current time, very starkly contrasting old architecture and new architecture. I don’t have the vocabulary to describe it. All I can say is that it’s really, really pretty, in my opinion. Korea, I like a lot of things about you, but your rapid construction – though I respect some parts of it – isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing. DON’T MURDER ME KOREAN NETIZENS! I TRIED MY BEST TO SAY THAT AS NICELY AS POSSIBLE!

I Need About Tree-Fiddy

Other things we’ve noticed: Australia is, umm, expensive. Whoa guise. Whoa. Paying 15 bucks for a meal? That’s a bit too rich for our blood! We wanted to get a bottle of water at the convenience store, and it cost us $2.80. I’m used to paying 700 won for a bottle of water! DAAAYUM. I’m not sure what the standard price for water is where you’re from. We might be spoiled by how cheap water is here. Regardless, almost 3 bucks for a bottle of water seems steep. And the taxis? $7 for a 2 minute ride! Also, we asked about the price of real estate in Sydney, because – again – your architecture is so freaking beautiful, and we were told that a typical 2 bedroom apartment goes for $2800 a month. DAMN THAT’S STEEP! That’s a lot more than what we’re paying for our place. We didn’t get to compare the prices of everything in Australia, but – from the few things we did compare – everything was more expensive in Australia.

Anyhow, if you’re interested in seeing what our trip to Australia was like, we’re going to start publishing our vlogs on it tomorrow! We had a lot of footage and a lot of things to show! Make sure you’re subscribed, so that you don’t miss out on anything!

Lastly, be honest guise: what’s a Sex Bar?

Comments

TL;DR

Korea vs Australia

1. What is eye care like in Korea? Does insurance typically cover it or is it all out of pocket? How expensive are glasses vs. contact lenses? And can you get specialty lenses, such as toric lenses for astigmatism?

2. Let me tell you a little something about travel and Diarrhea: I went from Southern Oregon up to Northern Washington to go to School, and in the dorms you would find (scribbled under the bunk beds) written warnings about the ‘3 week diarrhea’. It turned out that ALL new people at that school would get 3 weeks of diarrhea after eating the food from the cafeteria, the school was located in the middle of nowhere so you had to eat there! Out of the 20 people I came with I was the only one to beat the curse because I had a box of Metamucil Wafers in my suit case.
    I don’t know if you can get them in Korea (Costco?) but you should find some Metamucil Wafers (look like cookies) and take them when you travel (like say, to Europe?). They keep everything NORMAL, even when you eat greasy food. The box will say eat 2-3 packets a day, but usually 1 packet is enough. I think you can get them online, like from Amazon?
    P.S. They will not cause constipation, unless you do something stupid like eating the whole box in one sitting!

• Actually Metamucil is used to help people with constipation go to the bathroom normally/regularly, so to eat a whole box would probably have the person going to the toilet for some toilet violence constantly.

3. The whole stores closing early is also here in Europe, just so you’re prepared! Although grocery stores are usually open till 8 or 9 pm. But I’m very curious about this sex bar thing..hmm. hehe.

• Sex Bar: I’m thinking the whole ‘HOLE-IN-THE-WALL’ sort of thing… unless they guy was imagining 2 people per stall?

• Oh and guise, DON’T take the taxi’s in Amsterdam. They’ll rip you off so bad..at least that’s what I hear. Hopefully hallyucon has forewarned you hehe.

4. Australia is more expensive but we earn more as well. I used to get $12.50 an hour when i worked at a cafe when i was 16. Houses here are more expensive but it really depends on the area and state. As a general rule the further away from the city the cheaper the rent. And the thing about Aussie guys is completely true, they’re all gigantic! I think that’s why i was soo shocked when i first started watching k-pop, the guys were so petite and feminine in comparison :P

5. Lol, slow internet speeds are a very sore topic in Australia right now, way to add salt to our net wounds :)

6. Head out West next time you’re in Sydney. There will be more barge-arse bogans than you can poke a kebab at. Me included.

7. Perth is lovely but I would only recommend visiting for a couple of days because there isn’t much to do beyond that. They city is very small in comparison to the cities over east and the shops close earlier and everything is more expensive (Seriously it’s $5-6 for one coffee). However, there are some wonderful little touristy things here to occupy your time :)

8. Yeah, Australia is expensive :/ but the average income here I’m guessing is slightly higher than it is in Korea so that could make sense. Internet? Yeah, it’s slow but speed may also depend on your internet provider as my internet at home is quite fast anyway.. at least by my standards! >< not gonna complain about comparatively-slow Internet here and the new govt because at least we have Internet here.. better than none at all! AND the sex bar thing! Hahaha! You know how random people sometimes have sex in public bathrooms? The toilet cubicle is shaped like a bar… hence, SEX BAR! Not sure if actual sex bars exist here, but I think this is what that dude is referring to in his comment!

9. Ooo – yay!!! Come to Perth next time!!! (It’s actually more expensive than Sydney and Melbourne… but don’t let that stop you) And I don’t think we’ll be getting faster internet any time soon with our newly elected prime minister ㅠ.ㅠ This is all sounding rather discouraging but do come to Perth! We have nasties at the very least!

• Oh and shops close at 5pm here except for late night trading on Friday (in the city centre) or Thursday (every where else).

10. Guyz… I was eating dinner and decided to watch this… I had no clue that would be a very, very bad idea…

11. I mean sex on premises arnt offensive, laughing about them stupidly is.

12. The sex bar thing really isn’t funny. It’s almost offensive and stupid.

13. Names of coffee are closer to those in Italy than in America and Australia doesn’t have the same weird fascination with America (in the same way) that Korea does. Come on you didn’t think that coffee without milk is from America ?!! (Americano!? What!? It’s not American at all. Plus Australia has a large Italian population, so there’s the influence. Coffee in Australia was introduce through the Italian coffee shops rather than through Strabucks. And although I’m sure there were people in the Starbucks you went to, going to Starbucks in Australia is similar to committing a crime. You have to go to a small business or your a wanker.

• I haven’t drink starbucks coffee in 4 years. Not saying that starbucks is horrible but there are other places who serve better coffee.

• There probably is. but at least where I’m at I haven’t found one that gives me my coffee fix, is air conditioned and spiffy, let’s me stay like a hobo and use their internet for the whole day without buying more than one coffee…. yay! for student friendly Starbucks.

• Basically, an Americano was somebody’s makeshift method of making drip coffee (or percolator coffee) for American GI’s in Italy during WWII. The soldiers weren’t used to strong espresso and would water it down. People started referring to that type of preparation as “Americano”. I’ve always felt that it was a bit sarcastic. Like it was meant to be short hand for “Only an American would do this to perfectly good coffee.” But ha! Other countries liked it and it became like an actual thing! America gets the last laugh! ‘MURICA!

I feel like I need a picture of flying bald eagle gripping a coffee mug in one talon and a gun in the other. Someone should make that happen.

• I’m sure you could find something like that, I know there is a line of stuff showing the “Starbucks” mermaid or w/e holding a coffee mug and a gun that states “I love coffee and guns” or something along those lines.

• Haha, fair call.

14. If any netizens complain about your architecture comments I call bullshit. I’ve seen many, many, MANY similar comments online from Koreans (usually those who know about architecture) who feel that since Seoul is now well established economically, it’s time to develop a more cohesive style and look. Something that people will identify as distinctively Seoul. They know that a city’s architecture is a form of branding. It’s an active conversation with committees and organizations on the topic and everything. So there keyboard warriors.
    Also I would like to work it’s not a sex bar it’s a f#!$ing toilet into my next conversation.

15. Holy I missed your guys’ videos!!!

16. I loved living in Seoul for so many reasons! I lived like a king in Seoul as I assumed it would be as expensive as Brisbane and saved up heaps (which I used for travelling outside Korea instead). I miss $1 soju. I work at a bottleo (liquor store) and a 700ml bottle of Absolut vodka is $46, Jack Daniels is about the same. Coffee in Australia is also less sweet compared to Korea (love Korean coffee!). Sex bar is probably referring to a night club or swingers bar that people have sex in the toilets and some places have a reputation for the place to find a hook up etc.

Ironically I went to Korea University and they legit had the most shitty internet I’ve ever experienced (exception of travelling in Fiji). It always cut out mid Skype and had periods when no one could log on and access it when assignments were due. The only difference I noticed was downloading dramas took about 4 hours there compared to overnight in Australia.

There are also rubbish bins everywhere! Australia had a massive drought for years and hence a water saving culture (ie toilets having half flush). When the Dam that supplies over 100,000 people fall below 11% it is really scary and had instilled fear for Australians to save water.

Finally, once you hit the suburbs you will find many overweight people. I think in the city is it just not as much due to the young and trendy lifestyle.

17. The Internet is is slow because the phone companies in Australia who look after interet are privatised and because Australia is so huge with a small population it would cost billions to upgrade but since Telstra is a private company who owns all the Internet facilities (which smaller companies can then rent from them) they would lose billions of dollars and not make any profit, so it doesn’t make sense for Telstra to upgrade the Internet. It would be essentially a private company losing billions ‘for the good of the people’. So to upgrade we need government funding which the labor party agreed to do if they were elected but creep of all creeps Tony Abbott was elected instead, so along with his long line of pathetic policies was not upgrading Internet and introducing cencorship. So it is pretty obviously that he was elected by citizens who didnt actually understand his policies and voted on the basis of ‘border security’ aka fear and frustration with in-fighting between the Labor party. Basically we would have had upgraded Internet if the prime minister that was going to introduce gay marriage, improve public transport, do everything good etc etc etc was elected but somehow a total creep was elected.

• Sorry Thom-Jack, the reason why I’m posting completely unrelated stuff here is to INFORM THE UNINFORMED.

I’m from India but I have a Korean-Japanese fiance and have lived in Korea for 3 years. THE COST OF LIVING in KOREA is NOT CHEAP at all. It is the 3RD most expensive city in the world!

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING LINK

• Sir, posting multiple links over and over, in reply to almost everyone on the page, is considered spamming. Those comments are automatically deleted by the spam filter, and you can be banned for it.

Express your opinion if you must, but please do it respectfully with consideration for other people’s comfort.

• Dear Eat your Kimchi people,

Hope you guys are not oblivious to the fact that South Korea’s economy (as well as military power) is stronger than Australia’s (AND MUCH WEALTHIER / MORE DEVELOPED than NEW ZEALAND) —

AND South Korea was able to change their status from “RECIPIENT COUNTRY” to “DONOR COUNTRY” in 50 years. How many countries in the world do you think can do that? Not only are they a DEVELOPED, HIGH-INCOME OECD, G20 COUNTRY, they are one of the leaders in construction and civil engineering.

Speaking of ARCHITECTURE, South Korea is capable of building LOTS OF LOFTY, AESTHETICALLY PLEASING buildings (they are actually building the tallest one in the world now) but the government is reluctant to do so due to security reasons (potential invasions from N. Korea.. GOOGLE it if you wanna learn more about it).

South Korea is also going to construct the world’s first INVISIBLE BUILDING too; I don’t think you’ll find anything like that in Australia.

– An economics major dating a FABULOUS Korean lady –

• Ok, ok, calm down. Everyone on this site – the staff and the readers alike – loves Korea to bits, so you needn’t worry us, uh, looking down on it for whatever reason. We love South Korea. This entire site is about South Korea. Plus, by comparing things from different countries doesn’t immediately mean we’re saying one country is better that the other; just pointing out some interesting differences that we might not have noticed before. What you are doing, however, is clearly elevating one country at the expense of the other, which is quite rude.

Please, get to know how this site works before storming in and posting multiple argumentative comments one a single post. Why don’t you read the 1000+ other posts here? I think you’ll find we’re not as uninformed as you assume.

• I have no problem with the content of your comments, it’s just my job to prevent spamming, which you were giving a classic example of. I also try to moderate the tone of discussions so that it doesn’t spiral out of control. It’s especially difficult with new users, since they’re unfamiliar with how things work here.

Thank you for leaving your input here, I’ll let other users reply to it, if it is in their interest.

Btw, for your partner’s sake (since I’m depressed too, so I sympathise somewhat), I would like to assure you that they did not intend to call Korea a cheap country, or anything of the like. I’d suggest checking out these other blog posts by Simon and Martina, and if you’re interested, you can share your thoughts there, too.

• Thanks for the links. It was very considerate of you

• PS. We weren’t rude at all. It’s actually the couple that was being rude by pointing out things that didn’t even make any sense

• South Korea’s technology is WAY more advanced than Australia’s.
      Stop looking for excuses. LOL

• about tony abbott it’s weird that everyone i know voted for labor..and same for those people.. but he won by a “land slide” I really believe a lot of ‘misinformed’ people or ‘lack of political intelligence’ people or *cough cough* ‘racists people’ voted for tony abbott,, (and among those the people with companies) .. a little sad :S

• Well most media, tv channels and newspapers in Australia are owned by liberal billionaires. Gina Rhinehart for example, Murdoch etc.

• Pretty soon australia internet will turn into dial up speed.

• I agree about the prime minister bit ._.
      HOW IN THE WORLD DID CREEPER ABBOTT WIN?!?!?! :(

• Thank you for summing that up so well :D

18. As an Aussie Nasty, while I can’t speak for the cities you guys went to, finding cheap water in Brisbane is relatively easy! The place is positively crawling with little asian (usually Korean) supermarkets, where you can get small bottles of Sam Da Soo for about 60c. Eating ‘western’ food is particularly expensive unless you know where to look, but you can still get cheap Asian food. The cheapest I’ve seen for a bowl of chicken and rice (sometimes with greens) is $5, but that’s also takeaway quality. Restaurant-quality food is indeed $12 – $15 at its cheapest… >:

And trust me, everyone in Australia isn’t happy with our internet speeds. Some places like metropolitan hubs in Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane and stuff are starting to get 4G internet, but as other posters have said, we’ll be stuck with copper internet for another three years. I swear, sending my pictures via raven would be faster sometimes…

And as for the sex bar?? I don’t know too much about that, but I do remember seeing a man and what I can only assume was a hooker stepping out of the public toilets in a roadside park as I was walking home one afternoon. Say what you want about Aussies, but most of us don’t pretend that we’re a classy country :P

19. It’s common for gay men to have sex in public toilets. Not so common singer the Internet but it still happens. ‘Sex bar’ isn’t the right terminology but he obviously means a sex on premises which are also popular in Australia for gay guys where you can go to the sauna and have sex with other guys. He’s obviously straight and the toilet was probably a known beat. The guys in the other stall were probably actually have sex. This seems really obvious though and you guys seem naive.

20. Australia is expensive haha but the coffee i got you both and Soo Zee was only $16.50 all together…or is that expensive too?? ~Erin

21. I think that guy just thought you were all having sex in the toilets because you were all taking too long.

also in new zealand water is around $2.80 a bottle as well.

22. Yay so happy there is a new vid. I seriously think I was going through EYK withdrawal! If only our Internet wasn’t so crappy.

23. I remember going to Australia a few years ago. I did not enjoy stores closing at like 6pm everyday except for wed or thurs. I didn’t really buy anything but, who closes that early? Really, there was nothing else to do in Australia if shops close early, you’re too young to go to pubs, and all you have are relatives to visit…

My parents will agree with you on coffee. They were pissed that they couldn’t get decaf coffee and people there didn’t have any understanding what decaf was, or if they did have decaf, it was mysteriously not there. My parents went how long without decent decaf coffee, and we couldn’t find any Starbucks either.

• All night-workers are paid double salary, and well, it’s not worth it for employers to pay their employees double during the night, when there are much less customers. So they close early, except Thursdays, which was traditionally pay-day so everyone went shopping.

Starbucks opened with huge fanfare in Aus…and then promptly closed most of it’s stores not long later because Australians have had a coffee culture for decades and weren’t very impressed with the lack of variety from Starbucks. Decaf…What’s the point of drinking coffee without caffeine? Might as well have a coke without the carbon dioxide (i.e it’s flat)…

24. Ah. The good old foreigners complaining about our crappy internet speeds. If only our new prime minister was watching this and realize that a complete Fiber Optics network is needed and not a half Fiber Optic and half Copper Network. (The time you guys were in Australia, there were 2 Prime Ministers :D )

Living in Sydney for so long we get used to this speed but when I go overseas it will be like OMG SO FAST!!!

NB: Universities run their own internet network and are usually 10-20x faster than the general internet that residents get.

Also the amount of effort and form signing and getting general publics approval for demolition and redevelopment is like writing a series of books. It takes so much time that most developers just move out west and start developing on fresh land rather than destroy a multi-decade old building and build a skyscraper or high rise apartment.

It was so great that you guys came to Sydney and Melbourne. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones to just miss out on the Sydney fanmeet :( Actually I was about to get in when the door dude was like “Sorry, We have to close the door for a bit”….. Turns out “a bit” meant “Fan Meet Over!!!” *SIGHS* Only got to see you when you guys came out to greet everyone.

• Kim

that would explain why whenever im at my uni the internet seem so much faster and i though i was imagining things

• Most Universities invest their own money into the network infrastructure and a lot of it goes into upgrading the physical aspects such as servers, fibre optics and wireless. I mean how else will they be able to teach courses and put material online if they were to share the same network with residents.

25. sex bar: the desperate gentleman may have been referring to Melbourne nightclubs circa turn of the century where it was common for people to hook up naasty style in toilets. Mind you, our standards have gone up! The last time I saw this happen was back in 05 – and I think it was over in 05 if you know what I mean. lol OR god forbid he may have been referring to gay cruising in public toilets. You’d hope it’s not the latter. And BTW was this at Starbucks Westin? Don’t feel too bad Simon he could have just walked across the street to the loo at town hall. haha

26. If you love “Ancient” buildings, or should I say, typical architecture, you’re gonna love Amsterdam because it’s only that kind of buildings, EVERYWHERE in the city. And we have tall men here too, be prepared!

27. no joke I have never heard of a sex bar….. like ever….weird

28. What the eff is a sex bar?? And i’m Melbourne. Maybe cause people have sex in the toilets? I have no idea :(

29. As an Australian, 2800 a week seems REALLY expensive. Most people live outside the city in the suburbs where it’s about perhaps $300-$400 a week for 2-3 bedrooms? It depends where you live, but Sydney and Melbourne are just pretty expensive places – the Gold Coast is cheaper! (Where I’m from – it’s near Brisbane). Mortgages are really quite expensive too, also.

$2.80 is pretty expensive for a bottle of water, yeah! But if you want it cheaper, go to a chemist or a small grocery store – not at a restaurant or where you buy meals.

I saw Brisbane!! Please come to brisbane! It’s all artsy-fartsy and really really beautiful (and it’s cleaner than Sydney)
    Our internet is also really slow yeah — I think we’re 41st in the world? Which is really bad considering we’re a first-world country. Our newly-elected prime minister doesn’t support fibre-optic speed internet so looks like we’re stuck with it for another three years.
    (Also I’m guessing a sex bar is some kind of brothel??– since they’re legal here unlike Korea).

I’m glad you had a good time guys, please come to Brisbane one day!! o /

• Oh, my bad!! But still, wow $900 is craaazy expensive!!

• Omg i’m from the Gold Coast too!!! ^.^

• It said, $2,800 a *month*, not a week.

• Even that sounds expensive, but sounds about right for somewhere in the city in a place like Melbourne or Sydney. It would probably be a lot cheaper in a less touristy place and in the suburbs.

30. At lot of people are over thinking the sex bar thing. I’m pretty sure what he’s referencing is the propensity for men at a strip club to go into the bathroom and have a private… wank in the stalls. Which I assume would take much longer than a guy usually does in the bathroom. It’s not a common Australian slang or anything either.

Heh. He was basically saying that you’re all wankers though. Which is 100% common Australian slang!

31. I feel so nasty for laughing so hard at your toilet stories and not being grossed out by them ;D
    I have to warn you, the Internet speeds in Poland are not the best either. According to the databes that you got the chart from, average connection speed in Poland is 6,02kbps while in S Korea it’s over 14kbps. But at least the prices here are relatively low.

32. Kim

A lot of the expensiveness is based on the fact that it’s Sydney, which is apparently one of the most expensive places in the world. O.O I live in a major rural city, and the rent is much more reasonable than that XD

The taxis and food price though, is like that pretty much everywhere. It sucks :(

33. Can’t wait till next time you come over guys, hopefully I will get to see you that time!
    (Still a nasty!)

34. I’m guessing a sex bar was a swingers club or something of the sorts. I know there’s a BDSM club in Brisbane – or there was – last I checked it was being shut down for improper wheelchair access.

Public transport is expensive here but the government covers 75% of the cost to run the public transport network so when you take that into consideration it’s.. it’s not that bad. Also our roads are terrible and driving through any city is a nightmare. Parking is expensive, too. So most people take public transport to the city – especially if they’re going drinking.

Our internet might seem slow to you but meh I get used to it. There were talks of updating the network but it was going to cost anywhere between 52 and 90 billion that would MAYBE give us the speeds the current world has by 2019. Basically we’d be better than we are now but not up to date with the rest of the world and it’s really just not, IMO, something the government should be focused on. But that’s a whole different issue. <_<

As for things being expensive compared to other places, yeah I'd agree but our minimum wage is $16 an hour so.. you can understand why our prices are like that. Also free health care so.. <_< I'll take the expensive prices if I can go to the doctor because I've got the sniffles and it wont cost me my life savings. And yeah, rent in Sydney – or any city for that much – is hella expensive. Partner and I live about 20 minutes away from the city and for a 4 bedroom house you're looking at 300-350 a week. Also a taxi to the city costs us about $50 for a 30 minute drive – they ALWAYS take the long way and traffic is usually horrible on a Friday / Saturday night.

Uh. We do have a lot of overweight people – don't worry about that. In the cities though you see a lot more fit people. Also gyms are everywhere. There's one around the corner from my house I go to. But I could also get on the train for 2 minutes (or drive for 3 minutes) and go to one the next suburb over. And another the suburb after that.. And so on.

Our public toilets are really powerful but i like to think of it in a good way because at least there won't be any surprise floaters? D:

Also ahh please come to Brisbane. It's a really fantastic place. I'd suggest coming in the warmer months so you can go to the beach! Also our awesome theme parks. Also Australia Zoo. Also my house for dinner.. wat. Anyways I hope you at least had fun!

• Dude, the minimum wage for 18 year olds is $13.50. I know, I work at coles :(

• THIS is awesome! So bloody true on every point!
      I live on the Gold Coast (about a 40-50 drive south from Brisbane’s CBD) and there are a HEAP of buff and beautiful people, but once you leave the beaches and go to the suburbs, there are more overweight people.

I never noticed how violent our toilets are until someone who hasn’t grown up around them mentions it. :-/

• hello wall of text. boy was i excited. at 7am, too.

• You’re an angel! Summed up Australia so terribly perfectly! Yes EYK please come to Brisbane!

35. yeah, australia has really high price tags. you know the japanese dollar store DAISO? anything for 100 yen – which is about AUD$1 – here we have the same store and it’s $2.80. and that’s still ridiculously cheap for some of the stuff.
    on the plus side we also have pretty good average wages, and we don’t have to pay for medical insurance. oh and our prices come with gst included, so we don’t have to do extra math and pay extra at the counter for no good reason.

36. Our toilets are like that because they actually use much less water than everywhere else :(

Dont diss it

• Was about to say, the violent toilets are due to water saving. My toilets at work sound like a hurricane going down! They recently reduced the water even more and it’s so so violent.

Australia doesn’t have a lot of water… and Perth is way more expensive than Melbourne & Sydney.

• Also out internet isnt being improved >.>

37. The pricing in Australia still seems cheaper than here in New York T^T

38. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that orange yolks means the chickens weren’t hormone injected and free range chickens…

• It’s usually a sign of freshness and the presence of carotenoids(vit a) along with the chicken being free range, or farmers adding annatto/colouring to the feed. So as long as it tastes good

39. Sex Bar? I think most people call them “Swinger Bars” in the US. The Aussie was probably just distracted from his bowel pains and couldn’t think of the right name. And I do have the low down on Swinger Clubs since my friend “accidentally” went to one (long story short, she was invited by the owner and went despite everyone saying it sounded like the place was a nudie bar)

The one she went to (Sins and Sinners, located in Atlantic City and Philadelphia, in case you want to visit) there was an entrance fee, $50 per person in a couple (so $100 all together) and if you want to you could spend another $50 for a lifetime membership which cuts in the entrance fees in half. If you are a single guy, you pay $75 to get in. And if you are an attractive young woman (like my friend) your entrance fee is $15 and free lifetime membership (I kid you not). From the way it was described, there was a center eating area where you can eat and mingle to meet happy swingers. If you tickle another swingers fancy, you could go onto a bed and do whatever ya gotta do. I am unclear if there is beds are behind closed doors, no one asked probably in fear that there wasn’t any.

40. I’ve hardly met anyone in Australia who takes taxis~ When I hear people from other countries say they take them regularly I freel like they must be rich~ Also, I’ve only been in a taxi once on a special occasion and my mum paid for it~