Korea vs Australia

September 12, 2013

Comments

Ok, so we talked about a few of the differences between Korea and Australia that we’ve noticed, and hopefully told a story or two that made you chuckle. We skipped out on the obvious ones like Australia doesn’t have as many Korean people, for example. We did notice a lot of Korean people, though! Not tons everywhere, like in Korea, but we did hear a bunch of people speaking Korean. There was even one time in which we walked by some people, and heard them do the quick “OH!” that sounds Korean. You know what I’m talking about! We turned to each other and said “they must be Korean!” and we turned around and we were right. We didn’t shout it out, of course, and embarrass everyone at hand, obviously. We’ve got more tact than that! Point is, we saw a bunch of Korean people there!

Here I Come!

Speaking of embarrassing everyone, here’s another story: the night of the Melbourne event, after all was said and done, we got together with all of the event organizers and had dinner. One of the people there claimed to be really good at staring contests. I, Simon, decided to take her on. I wanted to close my eyes for a bit first and get all the moisture back in them. She asked if I wanted a go at it. I said yes, just give me a second. And then I said we’ll go when I count down from 3. Here’s how the rest of the dialogue went.

Simon: 3
Simon: 2
Simon: …
Simon: …
Girl: Where are you?
Simon: Wait…I’m coming!

To the other patrons of the restaurant looking over at us at that moment, they saw a man, in deep concentration, with his eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed, shout out I’M COMING! Of course this was right when the song at the time finished playing, and everyone simultaneously finished their sentences. Great. Great Simon. Just great. Welcome to Melbourne, you loud comer!

Architecture

Silly stories aside, we did notice a few more major differences. The loveliest part of Australia, I’ll say, is the architecture. Austalian Nasties, your buildings are beautiful. Korea’s very bright and glittery, but a lot of the buildings here look like they were built in haste, with little coherence to them. Right now I’m looking at the big blocky box of a GAP building, next to the Go store which looks like a house from the 1940s, next to a dingy, boxy Nike store, next to a giant, glittering hodgepodge of a building with the cascading Christmas lights that haven’t been taken down since Christmas. I’m not trying to badmouth Korea here. I know that Korea’s been developing very rapidly, and it’s amazing how quickly it’s come along in 50 years, really it is, but Austalian architecture has a lot of heritage buildings. Melbourne and Sydney look like the 1800s meets current time, very starkly contrasting old architecture and new architecture. I don’t have the vocabulary to describe it. All I can say is that it’s really, really pretty, in my opinion. Korea, I like a lot of things about you, but your rapid construction – though I respect some parts of it – isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing. DON’T MURDER ME KOREAN NETIZENS! I TRIED MY BEST TO SAY THAT AS NICELY AS POSSIBLE!

I Need About Tree-Fiddy

Other things we’ve noticed: Australia is, umm, expensive. Whoa guise. Whoa. Paying 15 bucks for a meal? That’s a bit too rich for our blood! We wanted to get a bottle of water at the convenience store, and it cost us $2.80. I’m used to paying 700 won for a bottle of water! DAAAYUM. I’m not sure what the standard price for water is where you’re from. We might be spoiled by how cheap water is here. Regardless, almost 3 bucks for a bottle of water seems steep. And the taxis? $7 for a 2 minute ride! Also, we asked about the price of real estate in Sydney, because – again – your architecture is so freaking beautiful, and we were told that a typical 2 bedroom apartment goes for $2800 a month. DAMN THAT’S STEEP! That’s a lot more than what we’re paying for our place. We didn’t get to compare the prices of everything in Australia, but – from the few things we did compare – everything was more expensive in Australia.

Anyhow, if you’re interested in seeing what our trip to Australia was like, we’re going to start publishing our vlogs on it tomorrow! We had a lot of footage and a lot of things to show! Make sure you’re subscribed, so that you don’t miss out on anything!

Lastly, be honest guise: what’s a Sex Bar?

Comments

TL;DR

Korea vs Australia

1. Hola! Hallo! Hello! What is the economy of South Korea like? Is there an income system (low income, middle income, high income) if so what defines it? Also are there any slums or ghettos in South Korea?

2. It is ridiculous how much we pay for anything here in Australia. From clothing to electrical items and rent. The cost of living is very high compared to most countries, Sydney more so than Melbourne. And a note about the water though: it is law that any restaurant be able to provide a free cup of water to anyone who asks. So if you were thirsty, you could’ve headed to Maccas and ask for water and they’d give you a cup free of charge. Btw DID YOU LIKE OUR TASTE OF WATER? Honestly when I went from Melbourne to Japan and Korea for a vacation, I was shocked cause it tasted real weird. The tap water in Melbourne is so clean that you’re worse off drinking boiled water than drinking straight from the tap (cause you’re missing out on a lot of the good minerals).

• Dear Didos,

Although I appreciate your passion for informing us with the correct facts about the Korean economy and architecture (which were certainly enlightening), I do not appreciate the generalisation that we are “dumb, uneducated morons” (which you have decided to use repetitively) nor your degrading label of Simon and Martina as an “empty-headed couple”. It is offensive and I found your comments to be hostile rather than helpful.

Please bear in mind that we are a community of open-minded individuals coming from all kinds of different backgrounds, so naturally we draw comparisons from what we know. Sometimes that may not be correct as you’ve highlighted but that’s part of the learning experience. Korean culture is beautiful and from the amount of views and comments on this site, there is a obviously a lot of love for the country. The comments made here were made with good intention and any mistakes made were inherently innocent. They do not deserve the rudeness and hostility that you have responded with.

Regards,

3. I agree things here are way too expensive

4. you are traveling to another country on sunday again? does that mean you SKIP KMM AGAIN?!?! Ô.Ô

5. Yeah, my business teacher has told my class a few times that Australia’s stuff is extremely high-priced compared to lots of countries (whether that be Asia or North America). Never in Australia will you find a bottle of water for around 700 won (or 50 cents), unless it’s from some place super random and dodgy (on average it will be about $2-3). The toilet thing also makes sense – I never understood the whole water-swooshing-concept thing in the toilet until I went to America and Korea (it’s just not like that here). Australians are also very much aware our internet it slow. Even at home, on wifi, it can be pretty bad. :( Also like you guys said, Australia IS considered a pretty obese country (we may have more people actively exercising than in Korea, but our diet is also a lot different to Koreans as well [which we know is comparatively so much healthier]).

6. Thursday nights are a great time for peeps who wanna shop late because all the stores close at 9pm-it’s known as ‘Late Night Shopping’

7. Sex bar? Go to King’s Cross in Sydney and you’ll find out.

8. Are you srs?! I live in Australia and I thought my internet is actually really fast. My internet is 22.59 Mbps… But man I want to live in Korea now for really fast internet. AND cheaper food&stuff…&kpopofcourse.

9. Hi! I have been living in Melbourne for 5 years now but I live and work as a nurse in the ‘burbs. most of the obese people are in the burbs/ countryside and I have not seen many (if any) obese people in the city. Most obese people won’t be walking on the streets and often face problems walking, socializing. They’re often in hospitals/ home/ nursing homes etc.

But as you have seen, many young Melbournians are actually pretty active/sporty and are pretty competitive!

I just eat my Maccas (Aussie slang for McDonalds) and nomnom while they jog away :D

10. how else are people going to get to the ministry of magic in England if Australia’s toilets don’t flush hard enough?

11. Also, before this video I had no idea Australia had weird coffee terms (I’ve never tried ordering coffee). Huh, the more you know…

12. I love S&M’s accents when they pronounce Melbourne. At least you don’t say “Mel-bourne” (I have no idea why we pronounce differently from how its spelt)

13. Yes, Australia is an expensive place to live in.

I’m used to the prices here so when i go to Korea everything is way too cheap!

• Actually it depends on which part of Korea you go to. And in Korea Samsung smartphones (Galaxy), Hyundai cars are much cheaper because they are Korean made.

14. Coffee culture! Yes Melbourne is a pool of pretentious wankers swimming in coffee, but it’s amazing and no where else seems to get it! Filter coffee is pretty much a big no-no here, espresso coffee is the way to go. A short black is one ‘shot’ of coffee and a long black is basically a double shot – both are just the coffee, nothing else added in, From there you get the different kinds of milk coffees, which generally differ in the amount of froth to milk ratio. A flat white has no froth, its just steamed milk poured over a shot of coffee (or a short black, whatever you want to call it). A latte has about a fingers width of froth, and a cappuccino has about two with chocolate dusting on top. And that’s pretty much the basics! from there people change the strength of the coffee, the type of milk and add different kinds of sweeteners, etc. Hope that makes it somewhat understandable!

15. It sounds to me like Simon had a wonderful encounter with a bogan in that public toilet.

• Nic

haha yes! I was thinking “sounds like a bogan”.

• Oh hey it’s Nic! Did you and Mr Gwon meet S&M? :D

• Nic

Yes we did! SQ Entertainment organised it for us so we got to meet and interview them before the Sydney meet and greet. They were super nice and so funny! We are moving to Korea start of next year so hopefully we’ll be able to do a collab together ;)

• Wow that is so cool! :D Looking forward to it. ^~^

16. Australia’s known for being very expensive. Last time I went to Korea, I was so surprised that the taxi ride from Jamsil to Myungdong was like, $10. Compared to Australia which would have been like… $30. I think we adapt to everything so whenever we travel overseas, it’s like “Hey! This place is so cheap,let’s go eat woo!” I went to eat at Gangnam (at some famous meat place, not sure) and the total was probably 100,000+ won. If i ate that amount in a normal restaurant, it would have been $300.

17. LOL now that you mention it, our toilet flushings are kind of violent. Maybe that’s why i always think overseas have such weak toilet flushes.
    as for prices, it really depends on where you go. food can be pretty pricey, especially in the city. a decent meal these days (including drinks) would be like 20-50. at least. but if you go into the suburbs, you can get a fairly decent meal with drinks and all for 10-30 depends on what you’re eating. but as for everything else, you really just have to know where to shop. like things can be pretty cheap if you know where to look. rent also depends on location, facilities, availability, and age of building. if you want a decent place in decent location, yeah, you’re looking at 500-700/week for a 2 bedroom place. and our salary isn’t always increasing proportional to inflation… sigh. although we have a good welfare system now, who knows how long that will last with our new government hahahaha. and if you think sydney is expensive, wait till you see perth! apparently that’s the most expensive state. and my family that used to live there used to be so overjoyed by how CHEAP sydney is in comparason lol
    and yes, our internet is pretty freaking pathetic. unless you’re in the city with telstra, most other internet services are pretty slow. and apparently upgrading our internet is not one of our new government’s new agenda lol. so i guess we’ll be keeping that slowwww internet.
    as for fat people, you’re right, in the city, people are pretty slim, but if you go into the suburbs or rural areas… yeah they get pretty huge. but there really is a huge push for healthier lifestyle with footpaths, bike paths/trails etc. the fact that there is usually NO parking in the city and our public transport is pretty freaking expensive and slow, means that people tend to go with alternative transport when they go to the city. but lol yes our nation is very tall. historically, this has always been so. i remember in high school they used to joke that they put the australian soldiers up front during the war because they’re so huge and intimidating.
    as for our coffee, i don’t know about the naming system tbh… i usually just have cappuccinos or mochas, and they seem pretty universal. but i have to say australians tend to be quite snobby about their coffees, so our quality’s usually pretty good.

18. Yeah… The internet suck batooties here… It’s terrible… :'( Cries foreverrrrrr

19. Australia has no night life. we sleep. im sorry. I no its sad.

20. Is “going green” a thing in Korea? In general, how eco-friendly is everything, and are people there environmentally conscientious?

21. A sex bar is exactly as it sounds :P hahaha
    Pleeeeease come to Adelaide if you come back to Aussie! :D
    And, about the internet: Nope, that’s how slow it is.

22. I don’t think Simon and Martina realise they were in Australia when the election was going on. In terms of of excercise, Melbourne is known as the unofficial ‘sporting capital of the world’. We even have our own sport that isn’t really played outside of the country AFL. wooo

23. OMG I was laughing so hard at this XD Yep, thats our country…. the toilets omg some sound like a lawn mower.
    Oh the internet. Now with our new Prime Minister (cries) its going to get slower. ;_; The elections were on Saturday when you guys were in Melbourne.
    Yeah there is some really pretty architecture here ^-^ Suburban & rural areas are much less impressive of course..
    There are many Asians in Sydney at least, I hear Koreans often talking.
    I don’t think there are a lot of buff men? Maybe I just don’t notice… But exercise is popular.
    Yep expensive here but obviously used to it ^^ $4 for a 600ml coke hurts though..
    I do not know what a sex bar is. He was just some dumb bogan probably, I was afraid you’d come across one…

24. The living cost in AU is more expensive than Korea I think even more expensive than North American countries. But the price of fruits, vegetables and dairy products are not expensive than Korea. Also “Long Black” is like “Americano ” and ” Short Black is like ” Espresso” but they’re slightly different. For instance, “Long black and Short black are a little be more darker and stronger than “Americano and Espresso”. I don’t know whether or not you saw “Flat White coffee” which is similar to latte but slightly different. Some parts of Australian culture and the way Aussies use English are affected by British

• The living cost in AU is more expensive than South Korea partially because Australia does not manufacture cellphones, electronic items, cars, and other products. In Korea, cellphones and cars a lot cheaper cuz most of them are Korean made. (eg. Samsung / Hyundai)

25. Ha! you think Australia has the slowest internet speed?? Mexico has the slowest speed AND higher prices n internet in the world! We live in a corrupt country :(

26. I MISSED YOU GUISE SO MUCH *Sobs hysterically with coffee in her mouth*

27. Can you talk about the differences between the BIG3 (YG, JYP and SM)? What’s your honest opinion on how they work, for example how they train their artist, how they pick trainees, how they choose songs for artist. I know this isn’t a good question to ask but I want to know from someone who can compare them without being too biased. THX

28. Cz

Should just go to the supermarket next time if you want to buy a bottle of water… buy a whole pack of water! :D

or you can buy a 1L bottle i think in woolsworth for… $1? i can’t remember x)

I didn’t know how to react when I saw you guys LOL! you guys looked so different IRL for some reason!

29. Did you guys listen to any Australian music whilst there?
    Australian indie music?
    Like Flume (listen to his song ‘Holdin On’ whoa, so good), Tame Impala, Empire of the Sun, Bluejuice, The Rubens, Flight Facilities, The Grates, Sia, Pendulum etc.
    Or maybe listen to some Triple J or something?

• We didn’t listen to much Aussie music WHILE we were there, but we listen to Tame Impala and Cut Copy otherwise :D

• You frikkin’ hipsters. I haven’t even heard of Cut Copy ._.

• Tame Impala are so groovetastically psychedelic!
        You might want to listen to the radio station Triple J online if you want to find some different, cool, indie, funky tunes (if you can listen to it in another country that is).
        Hope you guys can stay in Aus a little longer next time. Thanks so much for taking the time to travel down here. We don’t get a lot of visitors (compared to other countries) so it was a special time for us ahhaa.
        I’m speaking for all of Australia here, I’m totally allowed to do that.

30. I’m an Aussie and I’m pretty sure the coffee thing varies from store to store, just to make it confusing… And I’ve ordered ice coffee from a number of places, some gave me what you guys had, others with ice, hell, I even get frappacinos when I order one haha.
    It is a matter very close to my heart, you see.
    I keep track of these things.
    And no, I have no idea what a sex bar is… Probably just another random bogan spouting nonsense…

31. cob

Ima so glad you said ‘when we go back to’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooo its great you enjoyed Australia, we definitely want you guys to come back and stay longer!

32. Hi Simon and Martina! I was the girl who gave you the bag with the stuff for WTF. The pillow and the kitty hooks~~

33. I don’t know what I sex bar is, and I still don’t know how to order coffee in my own country lol /australia represent/

Also, no one exercises out on the streets except city people, all the surburban peopl go to gyms or exercise at home xD

34. Sex bar most probably just meant a cruising spot for men, discreet blow/hand jobs and such in toilets? im assuming

• Cities are the epicentre for the gay communities around Australia, so there is that context

35. My boyfriend lived in Australia for a year and went to a gay bar in Sydney. Apparently it was super seedy (and popular), with porn on the TVs and, literally, sex on the dance floor, and no one seemed to really mind!

So….sex bar?

36. *dies laughing* xD omg guys~~

My korean teacher is always complaining about prices here & when two of my friends came back from Korea they were sulking for weeks missing all the cheap food lol It’s definitely annoying! DX Especially when you’re short of change & really hungry (I remember one day I was travelling back from uni after a super long day & hadn’t eaten but I couldn’t afford anything ==;;; annoyingggg lol)

And even in Sydney I get amazed by the shop hours so WOAH what must it be like in Korea! =O Everything around where I live closes quite early (I’m kinda 4 hours out of Sydney~) So when I started going to Sydney a lot for classes & meet up with friends I’m always amazed by the hours shops stay open!! haha For example the night we saw you guys we went to Kinokuniya afterwards! That doesn’t even close to 7pm!!! Wthhhhhh xD it’s so weird to me xP

37. Yay!! New video~ missed you guise so much! >.<

38. I just realized how much I missed watching you guys. HAPPIES!

39. Guyssss its not fair! next time you come to Aus come to Canberra! ITS THE BLOODY CAPITAL OF THE COUNTRY T.T I’ll even pay for you guys XD haha Even if its just a short drop in :P PLEASE!!! XX

40. Im watching this video whilst eating lunch, thank you simon for that very in depth analysis of simon’s poo’s vs Australia poos…. It was very insightful