Korea vs Australia

September 12, 2013

Comments

Ok, so we talked about a few of the differences between Korea and Australia that we’ve noticed, and hopefully told a story or two that made you chuckle. We skipped out on the obvious ones like Australia doesn’t have as many Korean people, for example. We did notice a lot of Korean people, though! Not tons everywhere, like in Korea, but we did hear a bunch of people speaking Korean. There was even one time in which we walked by some people, and heard them do the quick “OH!” that sounds Korean. You know what I’m talking about! We turned to each other and said “they must be Korean!” and we turned around and we were right. We didn’t shout it out, of course, and embarrass everyone at hand, obviously. We’ve got more tact than that! Point is, we saw a bunch of Korean people there!

Here I Come!

Speaking of embarrassing everyone, here’s another story: the night of the Melbourne event, after all was said and done, we got together with all of the event organizers and had dinner. One of the people there claimed to be really good at staring contests. I, Simon, decided to take her on. I wanted to close my eyes for a bit first and get all the moisture back in them. She asked if I wanted a go at it. I said yes, just give me a second. And then I said we’ll go when I count down from 3. Here’s how the rest of the dialogue went.

Simon: 3
Simon: 2
Simon: …
Simon: …
Girl: Where are you?
Simon: Wait…I’m coming!

To the other patrons of the restaurant looking over at us at that moment, they saw a man, in deep concentration, with his eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed, shout out I’M COMING! Of course this was right when the song at the time finished playing, and everyone simultaneously finished their sentences. Great. Great Simon. Just great. Welcome to Melbourne, you loud comer!

Architecture

Silly stories aside, we did notice a few more major differences. The loveliest part of Australia, I’ll say, is the architecture. Austalian Nasties, your buildings are beautiful. Korea’s very bright and glittery, but a lot of the buildings here look like they were built in haste, with little coherence to them. Right now I’m looking at the big blocky box of a GAP building, next to the Go store which looks like a house from the 1940s, next to a dingy, boxy Nike store, next to a giant, glittering hodgepodge of a building with the cascading Christmas lights that haven’t been taken down since Christmas. I’m not trying to badmouth Korea here. I know that Korea’s been developing very rapidly, and it’s amazing how quickly it’s come along in 50 years, really it is, but Austalian architecture has a lot of heritage buildings. Melbourne and Sydney look like the 1800s meets current time, very starkly contrasting old architecture and new architecture. I don’t have the vocabulary to describe it. All I can say is that it’s really, really pretty, in my opinion. Korea, I like a lot of things about you, but your rapid construction – though I respect some parts of it – isn’t the most aesthetically pleasing. DON’T MURDER ME KOREAN NETIZENS! I TRIED MY BEST TO SAY THAT AS NICELY AS POSSIBLE!

I Need About Tree-Fiddy

Other things we’ve noticed: Australia is, umm, expensive. Whoa guise. Whoa. Paying 15 bucks for a meal? That’s a bit too rich for our blood! We wanted to get a bottle of water at the convenience store, and it cost us $2.80. I’m used to paying 700 won for a bottle of water! DAAAYUM. I’m not sure what the standard price for water is where you’re from. We might be spoiled by how cheap water is here. Regardless, almost 3 bucks for a bottle of water seems steep. And the taxis? $7 for a 2 minute ride! Also, we asked about the price of real estate in Sydney, because – again – your architecture is so freaking beautiful, and we were told that a typical 2 bedroom apartment goes for $2800 a month. DAMN THAT’S STEEP! That’s a lot more than what we’re paying for our place. We didn’t get to compare the prices of everything in Australia, but – from the few things we did compare – everything was more expensive in Australia.

Anyhow, if you’re interested in seeing what our trip to Australia was like, we’re going to start publishing our vlogs on it tomorrow! We had a lot of footage and a lot of things to show! Make sure you’re subscribed, so that you don’t miss out on anything!

Lastly, be honest guise: what’s a Sex Bar?

Comments

TL;DR

Korea vs Australia

1. Aussie here. A lot of this rings true for me! Discount department stores and supermarkets close later (10pm or later), but everything else closes at 5pm or 6pm.

Our internet fucking sucks. It fucking sucks. Tanzania has faster average internet than we do. Politics and bullshit, that’s the reason. Government panders to the baby boomers, the retiring generation who consider the internet to be that newfangled waste of money.

Everything is expensive, but we do have a high minimum wage. Many things get cheaper the further from Melbourne/Sydney you get.

2. Depends on WHICH PART OF KOREA you are in.

FYI, Seoul is the THIRD MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN THE WORLD.

3. Next TLDR Qs: what do Koreans do on Halloween? I can’t remember if you covered this already, but I’m intrigued. Is it the usual case of candy for children and alcoholic beverages and parties for adults? Do they have any fun nasty Korean ‘tricks’, and do they play any Halloween games / traditions e.g. pumpkin carving?

4. Might be a bit late in the week to get this question answered, but here
    goes: With my birthday coming up in a few days, it got me thinking what
    are some typical things Koreans do to celebrate birthdays?

5. OMG, I just watched this several times with my boys and we can not stop laughing. I want to take a trip to Australia now just to witness the mega-flush firsthand. XD

6. You guys should do a TLDR on Chuseok because I’ve know it’s sometime around now. Do lots of people dress up for it? Is it a family thing? What happens a lot during it?

7. Is there a lot of outdoorsy stuff (camping, hiking, etc.) to do in Korea even near cities like Seoul? Also is it possible to get to said outdoorsy activities without a car?

8. Kim

its because hotel mini fridges are expensive

9. That is interesting lol! I grew up in Nelson, NZ and we just called it the city lol!

10. So You’re telling me, the Aussie nasties are like this? :D

11. I have never heard of a sex Bar, This is a first. Maybe he thought someone was having sex in the toilets, Simon was a a lot of grunting coming from the stalls ? LOL. If you want a a bottle of water never buy it from a convenience store or from your mini bar in your hotel (always expensive) also real estate in Sydney or Melbourne will be very expensive if it’s in or near the CBD & water the further out you go the cheaper it will be. Taxi’s are a rip off in both places, we got a cab in Melbourne Sunday morning from our hotel to sky bus (airport shuttle) which was a two minute trip it said on the meter $7.50 & our cab driver charged us $10.00, Now I know the reason why I drove everywhere or caught the train when I lived in Melbourne.
    I’m hoping to travel to Seoul next year some time & I can’t wait to explore, taste, drink & experience everything.

12. Where do you work, Nasty??

• Aaah cool! If I ever walk down that way during my break, I’ll pop my head in and see ;)

13. Ive never heard of ‘Sex Bar’s’ However, there are things called “beats” these are (often) public toilets where some gay men meet for annonymous sexual encounters. So I can only assume that 1. the particular starbucks loo you were in was a Beat, 2. the man waiting for the loo was particularly paranoid, 3. or sex bars are something else all together and are a melbourne thing.

14. :) I were reading about the water part. I’ve seen a talk show talking about how much cheaper water out of the tab is in comparison to a bottle.

Well they showed how much water you could get our of the tab for 1 euro water bottle at the supermarket.
    And suddenly a big truck came into the studio with a big tank of water. So yeah it’s really expensive if your going to compair it.

So when your guys are in the Netherlands you can drink water out of the tab. But the Netherlands isn’t the only country in Europe where you can do this. ^_^

15. Glad to see you guise back!!! > . <

<3<3<3<3<3<3

P.S: Happy 9 years anniversary *____*

16. Oh geez I remember Australia’s internet now….I swear it was like using Internet Explorer in 2003…It was soooooooo slow that I just refused to use their internet

17. They might not qualify as “bars” but the Swiss just introduced drive in sex “boxes” so I guess if you string a bunch of them together it could be called a bar

18. You HAVE to make one of these about Europe x)

19. Just wait until you come to norway and experience our crappy internet. Well, atleast you’re not going to the country side. Not sure what the internet is like in the cities, but i’m sure they’re crappy compared to korean standards. Speaking of expensive, whenever i tell my american buddies the prices of things here in Norway, they think it’s ridiculously expensive. And, compared to Korea i think you found American prizes expensive, so.. you’re going to have a shock when you come to norway.

I really think you should try some authentic Norwegian food, though i don’t think there are many places who sell autentic norwegian food. It’s usually what people make at home, so when they go out, they want to have different types of food. I can try and do some research for places where you can get norwegian food, so you can try it out!

Also! I’ll see you in Oslo!

20. OMNasty!

21. “It’s not a sex bar, its a fvcking toilet!” HAHAHAHA

22. SPENDING TWO MINUTES TALKING ABOUT HOW VIOLENT TOILETS FLUSH IS TIME WELL SPENT.

23. In the latest upload of Discussing Interesting Contemporary Korean Slang: Ep 03, Miss Leigh and Miss Soo Zee had brought up “manscaping” the personal grooming of men in North America but not Korea. The way Miss Soo Zee reacted was amusing but surprised me. Obviously South Korean men don’t do it, even though “South Korean men spent $495.5 million on skincare last year” according to global market research firm Euromonitor International. So why don’t men groom “down there”? What about the women? Is keeping the area “down there” trimmed a practice? What about waxing or for that matter the Brazilian? Is it just taboo?

24. Hi guys, yes there are these things called *sex bars* but its very hush hush here, so don’t mention the term or the *sex bar police* will come get you….and they are armed with drop-bears and snake-eating spiders.

……

25. Australia is the second most multicultural country in the world (behind Luxembourg although Australia is much larger) so different groups of nationalities usually reside in specific suburbs. I live near a suburb called Strathfield in Sydney which is basically little Korea. It has a LOT of Koreans that live there as well as korean stores and korean restaurants (even noraebang) and a whole lot of korean text written on signs and buildings.There is also an actual ‘Koreatown’ in Sydney city too. Honestly, I love the multiculturalism here and there range of ethnicities here because the younger generation is grown up used to them. I also agree with you on the architecture as I’ve been in love with it since 15 years ago. YAY Australia! ^^

26. Dear Simon and Martina, I am a fellow Australian from Perth – and I don’t mean to disappoint you but in Australia there is no such thing specifically as a “sex bar.” I have a strong feeling that the angry Aussie man either had a terrible experience at a strip club establishment and thus compared it to waiting in a cue at the toilets. I am afraid to tell you but it is no national secret. :( And by the way, PLEASE COME TO PERTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. hey i’m from Australia and… well first off we’re not coffee people so we kind off think of our own thing. AND we are already used to the slow internet in case you were wondering… but we would appreciate it if a korean came over.. to… give us faster internet :D as well i was also heard that you said Australian people are fit and there’s soooo many people running… well i think your forgetting about the people stuck at home because they can’t get out of their chairs. yeah thats the real life but yeah the ones you see running are the ones who have will power. or they might just be people we paid to run in front of you guys :D

Yes we are expensive… WE JUST NEED MORE MONEY :D yeah a lot of Australians get ripped off but we just deal with it. because we are some lazy ass people :P and its expensive because its sydney, the major cities are expensive but coming to Adelaide would be better “hint”

Anyway I’m glad you came to Australia and i hope you enjoyed the better side of things like the beaches etc. and i hope next time you come … you.. can come to ….Adelaide, Australia…… :D

28. We found a place that does ice coffee the way you guys would enjoy its
    at the sports club in strathfield which does the best korean fried
    chicken and is usually filled with ahjumma’s whenever we go.

29. Please!! Come to South Australia if you visit again, here
    you can experience the popular Farmers Union Iced Coffee!! :)

30. Hi Simon and Martina, I was wondering, a lot of people say that swearing, drinking, and smoking is very much accepted in Australia (I’m Australian and I definitely agree with the swearing/cussing and drinking part). Did you seem to notice it, or not?

31. You think Australia is expensive? wait until you get to New Zealand Dx I always thought of Australia as a much cheaper place to live…