Korean Bakeries and Kpop Cafes

February 11, 2015

Comments

Oh man. This week’s TL;DR was a difficult one for us to do. Bread: it’s so important to us, and we didn’t know how much we missed it until we started living in Korea. Bread: it’s something that’s become so trendy in Korea, but something that’s still not done right, by our standards. But those are just our standards. I wonder if Korean people go overseas and eat bread and thing “gross! This is too savoury!” Hmmm. That’s something I’d love to know!

You know what’s surprising, though? We don’t have this complaint in Japan. The bakeries we went to in Japan were AMAZING. They all use butter, SO MUCH BUTTER! Korea…doesn’t really use butter. Korean croissants are really dry and sad. We had the second best croissant of our lives in Tokyo, in fact. You could count all the folded over layers, and it was so moist and baaaaagggghh it was divine. The best croissant we ever had, believe it or not, was in Amsterdam, at a bakery that was close to our AirBNB. Paris had disappointing croissants, oddly, from the places we visited. Maybe we just didn’t find the right places? Point is, Japan and Korea are similar in many ways, but we infinitely prefer Japan’s baking culture to Korea’s, and I don’t know how they got to be so different.

Something else that interests us in Paris Baguette’s attempt at expansion. It’s even opened up a location in, get this, Paris, but French people find Paris Baguette awful. Paris Baguette doesn’t offer French food, but Korean people who have never experienced French food don’t know that. If any of you watched Bugs Bunny back in the day, you might remember that hasenpfeffer episode, in which the king demands hasenpfeffer, and Bugs Bunny gives him a carrot, which the king happily eats, while thinking that it’s hasenpfeffer and not knowing that it isn’t. Just like how people think they’re eating Japanese sushi when they eat California Rolls, Paris Baguette has made an entire industry off of this same premise. It’s marketed to Korean people as an authentic French experience, with it being called “Paris Baguette” and with logos including the Eiffel Tower in it.

So why would Paris Baguette open up a location in Paris? Our guess: advertising, that’s why. Paris Baguette isn’t the only Korean bakery pretending to be French. Tons of others have donned French names in order to appear to be French. Hell, even today we went past a Korean bakery that sells Korean baked goods, yet it calls itself Malmaison, and has French written all over its sign. So what will make Paris Baguette stand out from the many imposters of the original imposter? Well, Paris Baguette now has a bakery in Paris, that’s what! How many others can say the same?

Oh man: there’s so much to say about Paris Baguette. Read their official brochure, and how they distribute the freshest of frozen dough. HOW THE HELL IS FROZEN DOUGH FRESH? Am I not up to date with baking standards and practices? If a company makes all the dough in a factory, freezes it, and then ships it out to stores where they can be defrosted and then baked, THAT’S NOT FRESH! Paris Baguette is to French Bakeries what Hot Pockets are to Italian Calzones. You’re a microwave dinner, Paris Baguette.

OK ENOUGH RANTING. There’s hope for us in Korea, still! We’ve definitely started finding more bakeries lately that cater to our sensibilities than before. We remember when Home Plus starting selling bread when we first came to Korea, and how surprised we were. Even though it wasn’t what we were expecting, we were still excited. But now we’ve got places in Seoul that we can go to when the going gets tough. Here are a few:

Publique

For those of you who have been following us for a while, you might remember the video we did in Fell & Cole for awesome ice cream in Hongdae. Well, right on the same street leading up to Fell & Cole (one of our favourite areas of Hongdae) is Publique. HOLY CRAP! I just remembered an older video we did ages ago, before we started doing WANKs, in which we were exploring Hongdae and we actually went to Publique. Well, there you go. Two videos that show you the area Publique is in, and one in which we actually enter Publique. Whoa: that video was way before we had the Eatyourkimchi Studio. So odd!

Anyhow, Publique is a reliable go-to shop for us whenever we need bread. Sure, it’s pricy, but some days we need a good, crusty loaf, and they do it right. You can find it here on Google Maps. It’s close to the studio as well. Yay!

Paul and Paulina

This one is a lot easier to go to when you’re in Hongdae. If you’re at the top of the hill that leads up to the university, and you’re looking at the university, turn left. It’s on the side street that Starbucks is on (and the new Paris Baguette, speaking of which). A few steps down that side street and you’ll see Paul & Paulina. It serves good croissants and nice loaves of bread, though the prices aren’t for the faint of heart. That doesn’t stop it from having huge lines most of the time we go there, though! Still, if you really need some bread, this place is a safe bet for you :D

The Bakers Table

We don’t go to Itaewon often. Most of the time it’s for vet appointments for Meemers, but whenever we do go, we stop by The Bakers Table to pick up bread. They’ve got lots of great loaves there. It’s also a restaurant, and serves some pretty wicked sandwiches, that we sometimes sit for as well, but it seems like every time we go it’s crazy packed, so we just pick up a couple of loaves and go back on our way. You get more bread for your buck here than you do in the first two locations as well. Check em out on Facebook

So, yeah, that’s it for our bread sources. If you’re living in Korea and have some that you go to, PLEASE SHARE! We need to stick together on this! Otherwise, we’d love to know what bread culture is like where you’re from, and if you felt picky about the bread when you visited other places. Anyone else try bakeries in both Korea and Japan and feel the same way? Let us know!

Lastly, I’m sure comments will pop up now like “Oh! Simon and Martina make fun of Korean bread without knowing how to cook in Korean fluently,” which we’ll respond by saying “yeah, we cook Korean food, too, all the time” but then they’ll respond by saying “yeah, but you do so with terrible accents seasoning. You have to be able to cook Korean food perfectly before you can talk about Korea making non-Korean food!” I’m sure :D

Comments

TL;DR

Korean Bakeries and Kpop Cafes

1. I can’t agree more on this REALLY IMPORTANT matter as I’m French and was deceived by Paris Baguette the first time I went to Korea…
    I stayed 3 weeks last time I was there and near the end it was clear that I had a bread deficiency (at least psychologically). A Korean friend of mine took me to one of Hong Suk Chon’s restaurant in Itaewon and THERE WAS GOOD BREAD ! That was definitively one of the best moments of my trip to Korea.

Thank you for the good bakeries locations, I now can go to Korea without any worries !

2. I’m from Austria and bread and pastries are SUCH a big deal here! We have tons of different types of bread, I’ve even read that the German speaking part of Europe has the most types in the world (supposedly about 1300 different ones). Also they come in various shapes like prezels or plaited buns or semmels.
    I think Austria/Vienna is also quite known within Europe for its pastries (in French pastries are called “viennoiserie”). It’s common that people bake cakes at home for the weekend – not because it’s a special occasion but simply because it’s weekend and I love it! :D

3. I’m trying to quit eating bread. It makes you fat. And my stomach can’t handle it. But it’s sooooo good. Fresh bread with butter. So much better than crispy bread (which isn’t as fattening) – unless the crispy bread is home made (which is quite yummy, I must say)

Baking bread is quite easy, though, if you have an oven. I guess that’s something for “You Are Here” café to handle? Yay!

In Norway, bread has been the most common thing to eat as food. Bread for breakfast (perhaps “havregryn” or porridge is more common for a lot of people), with “pålegg”*, like cheese (yay for brown cheese!), or jam or maybe even ham.

The bread I’m used to most people here buy (I guess?), is just “regular” bread from the super market (the more healthy, the better), so I guess bakeries is not where most people buy breads. Some people do, but not most people here. If people buy “bakery goods”, it’s probably because they’re eating at a cafeteria. Or at the canteen if people are way too lazy to make their own sandwich (which should be quite easy since the bread is already sliced from you bought it in the store. You have probably seen the bread slicer which every store has – which says something about how common bread buying there is). Bringing bread with “pålegg”* to school is something most kids have gone through.
    __

*”pålegg” – whatever you put on your bread except butter. Like cheese, ham, jam, etc.

4. I think we have a pretty good baking culture here in the UK. You can get reasonably fresh bakes from most of the supermarkets and there are plenty of local bakeries, I think this is true for most of Europe. However it is only in England (that I know off) that every summer the whole country tunes in to watch a show called “The Great British Bake Off”. Where a number of amateur bakers take part in a competition with no prize other than the title of “star baker” and any on screen misadventures become genuinely newsworthy the next day.

5. Adi

another off-topic here… a dose of Romanian song for you guyz… hope u like it… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JlfQCElDc

6. I don’t know how I would survive in a another country than Finland. Mostly I would miss the rye bread and Im not sure how meny countries have rye bread, other than nordic countries? Finland has really good amazing bakeries, but now that almost every big market has a baking stand the bakeries has started to slowly disappear.

7. AAAAGH NOW I’M HUNGRY! D;

I live in a very small town in Sweden (under 1,000 people) and there’s 5 bakeries! Not counting the ones right outside of town. ._. I’ve been to all the ones in town but my favorite one has these perfect fluffy, light, flavorful sourdough crisps that are to die for. But their cupcakes are even more amazing. <3

My mom actually owned a little cafe/bakery in the town we used to live in, but when we moved she sold it. Business was great and we had lots of regulars but I'm actually glad she sold it because I was getting chubby from all the food lol. xD Coincidentally, she actually wants to open a new one but hasn't decided yet.

When I go to Korea, I promise I'll bring you guys plenty of cheese and bread!! :( I can't imagine life without cheese or bread. ;A; That's a nightmare! HANG ON, MARTINA! DON'T GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT!!

8. When i was studying at korea university i loved going to this little bakery called dear bread. Decent savory breads baked fresh though they sell out pretty quickly!

9. Hello~! I also experience cravings for real bread, especially SOURDOUGH!!! GAH!! Often I try to find a friend to buy me a bunch from the Army Base in Yongsan. They have a bakery in the grocery store and it’s pretty close to what I used to eat at home in the US.

I also wanted to suggest a little bakery in my neighborhood. It’s close to Hongdae over in the Yeonnam-dong area call Tom’s Bakery. While their menu is small and a little pricey they use real butter on their fluffy crusty croissants! Also it’s a little far and probably still aimed at Korean taste buds, but Richmond Bakery ( http://map.naver.com/local/siteview.nhn?code=31583489) is part of a very old Korean bakery school. I bought a strawberry yogurt cake there and it was so fluffy and moist and unlike any cake I’ve eaten in Korea.

Anyway~ your blog is wonderful! I always enjoy your videos~ ^^ I’ll have to stop by the cafe soon~

10. I’m a shameless bagel snob, loyal to the New York style. As a result, I sneer at the mass produced garbage the big names (I’m looking at you, Tim Hortons) pass off as “bagels”.

When it comes to bakeries and baked goods (and a lot of other things), I find that quality is inversely related to diversity of product. Bakeries which dabble in all of breads, cakes, pastries, etc. may have edible end results, but rarely excellent results. I’m lucky enough to have access to a few places locally which focus on nothing but bagels; you have to go elsewhere for the cream cheese! But man, those bagels are to die for.

Your experience with Korean bakeries mimics my experience with bagels in Montreal. They have some excellent bagel shops, but I prefer the New York style vs. the Montreal style. And if you want a par-baked frozen ring-shaped lie, there’s always Tim Hortons.

11. So~ Simon and Martina you really should go to 사당! I recently was living there and I was right behind 남성 시장 which is really one of the best traditional korean markets in seoul with a high quality of food and friendly people but there I was, super desperate for bread and my korean friend told me about a decent bakery that was in the market called Bread Box. I was decently impressed and if you arrived earlier enough in the day you had many breads (including crusty bread) available to buy. I believe it is not a chain (I hope not>< I have never seen another) and I am confident they make their bread handmade. It satisfied my cravings! It is worth a visit plus the market is awesome and there is also a great little korean bakery stand ran by a woman who is super sweet! Let me know if you want to try it out! I can give you directions^^. (The market is a gem of great places such as restaurants, cafes and the people were very kind to me. And oh man. The fresh tofu was to die for.)

12. I live in NYC and Paris Baguette has two or three stores, and their bread is truly, painfully, awful. Now, that being said, Americans have managed to make crappy long-shelf life weird chemical bread too. I grew up on bakery bread, though, and living in a major city really helps. Plus, we have access to awesome Middle Eastern and Mediterranean baked goods and breads, which is lucky. Also, our Vietnamese restaurants make really good baguettes too! Probably left over from French colonial rule. The Vietnamese sandwich made on baguette is heavenly.

Now, being married to a Frenchman, here’s the secret to bread in France: the best baguette and croissants (in my humble opinion) are found in Lower Normandy and Brittany, and even Upper Normandy. It’s where the best climate for things like…cheese, butter, milk, and all those rich things we love! Paris is hit-or-miss – you have to find the smaller, quality boulangeries and patisseries. They are there, but not as visible. The fact that Paris Baguette opened in Paris is truly insulting to my husband. Hopefully, the French will eventually run it out of town, but then again, franchises seem to be the way the world is going – just look at McD, KFC, Subway, Starbucks, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Disney World, and the list goes on. It’s kinda depressing.

The odd thing here – or maybe it isn’t, someone let me know? – is that these Korean bakery franchises are masquerading as French bakeries, which is wholly misleading. At least McD’s and Starbucks doesn’t pretend to be something it isn’t? Or can we argue that Starbucks is simply the American bakery masquerading as a French bakery? Although no Frenchman I know would consider Starbucks as anything other than a coffee take-out joint. What do you guys think?

13. *Raises hand* I am an expat in Asia, and I miss bread. I’m from the UK and live in Cambodia – it used to be a French colony so you can actually get reasonably authentic baguettes everywhere, but that’s not my bread and that’s all you can get. I still dream about granary bread, or, better, seeded bread. Even sliced bread is pretty rare – you order a BLT and it comes in a huge white baguette and the bacon-to-bread ratio is not good.

I shared my pain with other European expats and they told me, oh no you can easily get brown bread just go to this convenience store, so I went, and I wept. It was all baguettes, apart from like a $5 packet of four slices of “artisan” “organic” “gluten free” nonsense that went bad a day later. I just want normal bread, why would they taunt me like that?

But Cambodia gets a lot of Korean tourists and investors so there are a lot of Korean-style bakeries around, and the capital has a few branches of Tous Les Jours that I like to visit whenever I’m in town. I have a sweet tooth so I loved the bakeries when I was in Korea (the Paris Baguette theme music is still stuck in my head), and here at least they offer some variety. Even if it isn’t proper bread.

14. So off topic, but have you seen the video with Viktoria Modesta?

Oh. Yeah. Bread.

I like bread.

15. Hey Guys! I’m from Australia, but I was just recently living in Taipei and I found out the hard way how sweet bread is in Asia. Having worked in a bakery in Australia for 2 years I really grew to love the art of baking. SO as you can guess it was such a culture shock to go to a “western” brunch cafe and bite into my sandwich and be overpowered by cake-like bread! It was so sweet! I could taste nothing else but the cake. I thought maybe it was just a one off thing, but the next morning I bought a green onion (spring onion) bun from Family Mart, praying for a savoury breakfast, but of course it was unbelievably sweet. It was like someone has decided to garnish a spongecake with vegetables… not a good mix. I quickly got over my disappointment however, thanks to the abundance of food available walking down the city’s streets. So yes, I share your feelings. P.S, Bread and bakery’s in Australia are pretty fantastic, but I might be a little biased :p

16. Off topic, but do you happen to know if Hongdae Fest is happening again this year? I’m going to be in Hongdae for all of March and am hoping that it’s being held again this year, I would love to see some of my fave Indie bands live!

17. Hi guys, I’m David from San Cristobal, Venezuela. Actually here bread is really, really important so we treasure it a lot. Thanks to many Portuguese-descendents families here, we get to eat fresh baked bread all the time, almost at every corner of the City. It’s so good that we have to eat it at any time with black coffee. Close by is Colombia, so the bread changes a little but doesn’t actually taste bad, they still make it a lot like the ones here so It’s okay. Bye.

18. I’m from South Africa and am living in korea at the moment. I am a bread fiend and I miss all things italian, french and portuguese! the flour , the butter! Ahh I’m salivating just talking about it. I grew up cleaning my plate after eating with bread lol (the italian way). Ahhh… bread…. hmmm

19. I don’t really eat from American bakeries since it’s hard to tell where their pastries come from and the tastes are pretty common to a lot of other places except each places name them differently. And this is from small business bakeries. If you want the good stuff (fresh bake everyday), you need to fork up top cash at high ended locations. For cheaper prices, I often go for Chinese bakeries in Chinatown around my area. They are made fresh everyday and you can actually see bakers at the back busting in and out to restock the shelves. American bakeries are all in pre-packaged boxes so it’s difficult to tell how long it’s been on the shelf in the box. You could be paying full price for old, moldy bread and you wouldn’t know it until you opened and checked it yourself. People these days have no respect for food anymore; anything to make money.

20. 1. Mister Bates. His name is MISTER Bates.
    2. There are two pages (so far) of comments about bread. Who knew bread was such a bountiful topic.
    3. I feel like there should be a series of bread puns happening here.

21. Sooo, what you’re saying is that there is a wonderful opportunity for some enterprising individual/s living in Korea to start a North American style bakery to satiate the needs of the North American expat community.

22. As someone who also loves bread (which also goes to my butt :/ ) I gotta agree! I’m from the USA, but honestly I’m not very big on store bought bread (even if it says that it’s made in a bakery there and whatnot). I LOVE homemade, fresh out of the oven, fragrant, savory bread. In my personal opinion, homemade can’t be beat. However, if I was in your situation, I’d still be somewhat picky but not overly. I’d make do with what I could find, just like you guys. But, speaking of bread… A few days ago I made some bread from a wonderful All-purpose- dough recipe (you can use it for bread, pizza crust, etc it’s amazing!). I made a few knotted rolls, and 5 braided loaves. I don’t mean to make you guys feel bad or anything, but they were delicious! I wish I could post pictures on here… When I come to Korea in a couple years (if all goes as planned), I’d be happy to make you guys some real fresh bread :) Btw Simon, nice ponytail, are you planning on growing it out some?

23. When I was in Austria I feel in love with a bakery chain called Der Bäcker Ruetz, they have amazing pastries and delicouse fresh bread. But I’m pretty sure it’s only in Austia, which is a shame because they have such yummy baked goods. I also enjoy making fresh bread, this is the recipe I use, http://bakedinthebush.blogspot.co.at/2011/01/bread-and-poetry.html

24. I’m from Germany and as other said, we have a pretty amazing bread culture. But we have also a Market with francaise. What is making me sad is, that many supermarkets, at least where i visited, are selling now their own bread which they only warm up, but don’t make themself, but in front of the supermarket is a real bakery. Even if its cheaper i don’t like it and buy myself my read at the bakery. We also have the problem here that traditional bakerys are closing down because of the francaise bakerys. Becuase i’m living in saxony, they are russian bakerys and also some from polen. I was a little stunned how different the bread and also the sweet stuff tasted.

25. Last summer I went to the Window Bakery Collection and sampled a bunch of bread, deserts, ice cream and coffee for free! The event showcases small businesses in Seoul. My favorite bakeries from that event were Slow Bread Ever and Bread Lab. Check out the Facebook page for the Window Bakery Collection here: https://www.facebook.com/WindowBakeryCollection. They have events every year to showcase the best bakeries in Seoul!

26. Hey guys,
    As I used to work in the bakery department of a organic food shop, I am quite familiar with how thinks work in there. We used to get the half of our breads pre-baked. The breads were made in the night and delivered in the early morning (around 5-6am). The reason they are pre-baked is because that way the breads are better transportable. Furthermore, on saterday,you need to finish the baking process for around 100+ breads before 8.30. With only 4 ovens and six breads per oven max, do the math. You’d need to get up real early, something none of us were all too exited about. Because the breads are pre-baked, they only need to be baked for around 20 minutes and then they are fresh :).

the other 40% was from a German brand, and would be delivered all complete, but those were rather expensive. I’d like to add, equally as good as expensive. They had the really heavy, hard on the outside with the almost moist insides breads that the slicing machine would nearly break on (we actually broke a couple of the slicing machine saw/knives on those breads). Always fun if a customer asks for a sliced rye bread and it doesn’t want to to through the slicer… You’re like “tralalalala… GO THROUGH YA DAM BREAD… tralalalala” while the machine is going like “YOU SHALL NOT PASSSSS”.
    Remember to always keep smiling :)

And then there are the last 10% that are delivered frozen. They are cheap and delicious.
    The pastries were also deliverd frozen. Except for the german brand who had them all finished and ready to eat.

Anyway, I do miss the breads but I love the pastries here. So sweet :D love it!

Are there any other part-time bakers around here?

27. So, I lived in Korea for two years. How many times was I duped by the red bean that looks like chocolate? Or the sweet potato cake that looks like orange? So many times. So many sad, sad times.

On the other hand this blogger steampunked a walking cast: http://copperbadge.livejournal.com/2774180.html?nojs=0

And Alexander McQueen designed prosthetic legs: http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/tag/no-13/

So, really, there’s no reason why you can’t have an amazing brace that matches your pretty dresses.

28. I’m Iranian (Persian) and bread is an ESSENTIAL. Bread is everything! I live in the U.S. and I usually stay away from the bread here because they’re filled with chemicals and weird ingredients, whereas in Iran the bread have 5 ingredients MAX (and taste WAY better).
    In Iran, we mostly eat pita bread, tandoori bread, and naan. So, ya, its not those typical European loafs and dense breads, but it’s still AMAZING! They’re mostly flat types of bread, AND THEY’RE SO YUMMY. America can’t get pita breads right like how they do in the middle east. I remember anytime I would visit Iran, my uncle would go to the bakery around 6 AM and bring a HUGE stack of bread warm and fresh from the oven. Then we would have to sit down and fold them all to eat later in the day. And any time my mom and I would go to the bakery to get bread, by the time we get home half of the stack is gone (cause we ate all those carbs:D) The bread taste the best when it’s hot from the oven! God, now I’m craving bread from talking about all the breadporn (yes, that is a thing, believe it or not)

29. My grandma is from Finland so whenever we would visit her we would be stuffed full of dark bread and crackers with lots of cheese and butter. *cries at the lack of all three things in Korea* My dad also occasionally goes on business trips to Germany and it is expected that he will buy a large loaf of something dark and stuff it in his suitcase so we can consume it the moment he steps back into the house. The bread is almost more important that him. Last month I went to the new Korean IKEA and when I saw the Finish rye wheels in the snack area, I almost cried. I bought that thing so fast and (along with some lingonnerry jam and Daim chocolates). So good!

30. The struggle is real guise… I live in Korea and I’m from WI. My hometown is actually very close to an Amish community and their baked goods are sooooo delicious (and so are their cheese curds *slurps drool*). Anyway, I’m also definitely a sandwich and chips person, so the lack of proper sandwich bread and meats has really had an impact on my eating habits. I also haven’t found any decent cookies here. I’ve taken to making my own, but of course, I then eat all of them in a couple days. :P

• OH MY GOD AMISH BAKED GOODS ARE THE BEST. I used to live close to indiana (which has a large amish community) and I was spoiled rotten and then I moved to Minnesota this last year and I was confused because their bread dreadful. Why is it so difficult to understand and replicate. Being in Minnesota was difficult enough but I just got back from korea for the second time recently and that was so so miserable….I think this year I will become a professional baker before moving back to korea next year. I am serious about my sandwiches.

31. In downtown Waegwan there is what I believe to be a local bakery called Hans and they out bake PA any day. Their cakes are beautiful and delicious and they have bread that tashes like what I am used to in America. It is a wonderful little shop.

32. I’m from Oklahoma and there’s a lot of franchise bread unless your in a major city. And if you do find a small bakery it’s a mom and pop place so that’s always fun to find. When I was in Korea we went to Kutchen Brot in Yunheedong. it was pretty amazing and 10x better than Paris Baguette. It still had the vibe of possible franchise? But there looked like real bakers walking around checking the bread soooo I’m not sure xD

33. I live in the US so fresh made bread and bakeries are not a problem. I actually don’t know many “regular” small locally owned bakeries but it seems more are popping up. Mostly I get fresh made bread from the grocery stores and they do a pretty good job. When I say regular I mean bakeries that sale various types of breads. What I know as regular where I live is Mexican bakeries that sale most Mexican sweet breads, pastries and cakes. They will also bake fresh bolillos and tortillas. Makes me wish I could send on your way so you could try their lovely desserts.

34. The baking culture in Germany is really good. We have chains like Engel which (at least in my area grow really fast). I live in a small town in Northrhine-Westfalia and we have 3 of these bakeries. I think they get their dough frozen but it’s really yummy to be honest. We also have bakeries that are known for pre-baked and then end(???)-baked stuff like backfactory but we also have a lot of bakeries that make everything themselves (even ice cream OwO). So we have a lot of different styles of bakeries and I really like that. :)

35. Hi! I enjoyed your video a lot, haha more than I should. I lived in Korea for some time and experienced that hellish thing they call ‘bread’. Only joking, after some time I found some places that had decent bread and I’ve never appreciated bread more than in that moment. Anyways, besides the bread, I’m from Amsterdam and I just read that you had the best croissants in Amsterdam so I’m very curious to know where you got these! Please let me know if you remember the name or which area it was! Pretty please?

36. To be fair: the frozen system isn’t that bad. Nowadays, we can control much, much better the fermentation temperature with special incubator (low and high temperature). So, the yeast work in constant without deviation. It’s a good thing

The “wow factor”, I guess, is missed because bread is a “simple” formulation. If you follow all the steps, you’ll have bread. And in this case is made for a large audience, so the product is average to please them.

And I don’t wanna crush your dreams, but today isn’t not very common bread made manually. I mean the baker kneading dough. Everything is made in machines, even the “artisan”. If it’s a small bakery, maybe the portion step is made by hand. But we have machine for that.

If I knew, I would suggest a bakery in Japan. The top baker in Brazil helped opening a bakery in Japan… he makes all those types bread you like. He is amazing! :D

p.s.: yes, I though you guise recorded the video last week. hahahah Same outfit! Sorry! hahahahah

37. My friend took me to MayBell Bakery in Itaewon, and I was pretty happy with the prices and the loafs. The only problem is they are so popular that they have early morning lines and sometimes (maybe often) sell-out very early!

38. So I’m half French, and although I’ve grown up in the US, going to France every summer is a real treat just for the FOOD. The baguettes there, even the cheapest ones (like 89 Euro cents–they’ve had a law there since the 1793 Revolution that sets a limit on how much places can charge on basic food necessities, namely bread) are sooooo much tastier than any American baguette. It’s crazy. Although I grew up on square white bread, my typical morning routine now includes a slice of toasted 12 Ancient Grains bread, which I find much more delicious than white or whole wheat bread. I love the diversity of breads you can find in the US though, from sourdough to pumpernickel to rye… That’s something that I can totally understand missing in bakeries overseas that only sell one type of bread. (Likewise, I totally understand your frustration with misleading bread displays! I’d be mad too! lol)

39. I, fortunately, have only ever had positive experiences with bread “culture shock.” I lived in Ireland for two years (I am from, and currently live in Portland, Oregon), and I have to say, I love Irish bread. I’m not just talking about the Irish interpretation of breads we know and love, like sourdough or rye, etc. I am talking about honest to goodness Irish breads, like Brown bread, Soda bread or (I apologize for the funny name, but for realz, this is the real name of it) Spotted Dick, which is like if soda bread and scones had a baby with raisins, dried black currants, sultanas, and sometimes, even cranberries…

There is a lot that I miss about my time in Ireland, and the bread is a big part of it. I have even taken to ordering my preferred tea brand online because American style tea just can’t cut it anymore! Now if only I could source a supplier for black and white pudding, I would be set!

• oh, and Irish style bacon, or “Rashers” as they are called. Can’t stand American style bacon, never have, never will. Too fatty and I don’t like my bacon crisp. I prefer “floppy” bacon that is more meat and not so fatty. Irish, New Zealand, and Australian bacon are all very similar and are a bit like Canadian bacon…Soooooo good! *drools*

40. There’s a small typo in the first paragraph– “thing” instead of “think”. ;)

It’s not just Korea… Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China are also crazy about bread! There’s a Taiwanese chain called 85°C, which is now rapidly expanding in California. But, there’s bakeries in Chinatown (SF and Oakland) that have sold bread/buns for decades.

Anderson Bakery has been around here for a while, and I’m sure most people don’t know it’s actually Japanese owned and Danish inspired.