Korean Bakeries and Kpop Cafes

February 11, 2015

Comments

Oh man. This week’s TL;DR was a difficult one for us to do. Bread: it’s so important to us, and we didn’t know how much we missed it until we started living in Korea. Bread: it’s something that’s become so trendy in Korea, but something that’s still not done right, by our standards. But those are just our standards. I wonder if Korean people go overseas and eat bread and thing “gross! This is too savoury!” Hmmm. That’s something I’d love to know!

You know what’s surprising, though? We don’t have this complaint in Japan. The bakeries we went to in Japan were AMAZING. They all use butter, SO MUCH BUTTER! Korea…doesn’t really use butter. Korean croissants are really dry and sad. We had the second best croissant of our lives in Tokyo, in fact. You could count all the folded over layers, and it was so moist and baaaaagggghh it was divine. The best croissant we ever had, believe it or not, was in Amsterdam, at a bakery that was close to our AirBNB. Paris had disappointing croissants, oddly, from the places we visited. Maybe we just didn’t find the right places? Point is, Japan and Korea are similar in many ways, but we infinitely prefer Japan’s baking culture to Korea’s, and I don’t know how they got to be so different.

Something else that interests us in Paris Baguette’s attempt at expansion. It’s even opened up a location in, get this, Paris, but French people find Paris Baguette awful. Paris Baguette doesn’t offer French food, but Korean people who have never experienced French food don’t know that. If any of you watched Bugs Bunny back in the day, you might remember that hasenpfeffer episode, in which the king demands hasenpfeffer, and Bugs Bunny gives him a carrot, which the king happily eats, while thinking that it’s hasenpfeffer and not knowing that it isn’t. Just like how people think they’re eating Japanese sushi when they eat California Rolls, Paris Baguette has made an entire industry off of this same premise. It’s marketed to Korean people as an authentic French experience, with it being called “Paris Baguette” and with logos including the Eiffel Tower in it.

So why would Paris Baguette open up a location in Paris? Our guess: advertising, that’s why. Paris Baguette isn’t the only Korean bakery pretending to be French. Tons of others have donned French names in order to appear to be French. Hell, even today we went past a Korean bakery that sells Korean baked goods, yet it calls itself Malmaison, and has French written all over its sign. So what will make Paris Baguette stand out from the many imposters of the original imposter? Well, Paris Baguette now has a bakery in Paris, that’s what! How many others can say the same?

Oh man: there’s so much to say about Paris Baguette. Read their official brochure, and how they distribute the freshest of frozen dough. HOW THE HELL IS FROZEN DOUGH FRESH? Am I not up to date with baking standards and practices? If a company makes all the dough in a factory, freezes it, and then ships it out to stores where they can be defrosted and then baked, THAT’S NOT FRESH! Paris Baguette is to French Bakeries what Hot Pockets are to Italian Calzones. You’re a microwave dinner, Paris Baguette.

OK ENOUGH RANTING. There’s hope for us in Korea, still! We’ve definitely started finding more bakeries lately that cater to our sensibilities than before. We remember when Home Plus starting selling bread when we first came to Korea, and how surprised we were. Even though it wasn’t what we were expecting, we were still excited. But now we’ve got places in Seoul that we can go to when the going gets tough. Here are a few:

Publique

For those of you who have been following us for a while, you might remember the video we did in Fell & Cole for awesome ice cream in Hongdae. Well, right on the same street leading up to Fell & Cole (one of our favourite areas of Hongdae) is Publique. HOLY CRAP! I just remembered an older video we did ages ago, before we started doing WANKs, in which we were exploring Hongdae and we actually went to Publique. Well, there you go. Two videos that show you the area Publique is in, and one in which we actually enter Publique. Whoa: that video was way before we had the Eatyourkimchi Studio. So odd!

Anyhow, Publique is a reliable go-to shop for us whenever we need bread. Sure, it’s pricy, but some days we need a good, crusty loaf, and they do it right. You can find it here on Google Maps. It’s close to the studio as well. Yay!

Paul and Paulina

This one is a lot easier to go to when you’re in Hongdae. If you’re at the top of the hill that leads up to the university, and you’re looking at the university, turn left. It’s on the side street that Starbucks is on (and the new Paris Baguette, speaking of which). A few steps down that side street and you’ll see Paul & Paulina. It serves good croissants and nice loaves of bread, though the prices aren’t for the faint of heart. That doesn’t stop it from having huge lines most of the time we go there, though! Still, if you really need some bread, this place is a safe bet for you :D

The Bakers Table

We don’t go to Itaewon often. Most of the time it’s for vet appointments for Meemers, but whenever we do go, we stop by The Bakers Table to pick up bread. They’ve got lots of great loaves there. It’s also a restaurant, and serves some pretty wicked sandwiches, that we sometimes sit for as well, but it seems like every time we go it’s crazy packed, so we just pick up a couple of loaves and go back on our way. You get more bread for your buck here than you do in the first two locations as well. Check em out on Facebook

So, yeah, that’s it for our bread sources. If you’re living in Korea and have some that you go to, PLEASE SHARE! We need to stick together on this! Otherwise, we’d love to know what bread culture is like where you’re from, and if you felt picky about the bread when you visited other places. Anyone else try bakeries in both Korea and Japan and feel the same way? Let us know!

Lastly, I’m sure comments will pop up now like “Oh! Simon and Martina make fun of Korean bread without knowing how to cook in Korean fluently,” which we’ll respond by saying “yeah, we cook Korean food, too, all the time” but then they’ll respond by saying “yeah, but you do so with terrible accents seasoning. You have to be able to cook Korean food perfectly before you can talk about Korea making non-Korean food!” I’m sure :D

Comments

TL;DR

Korean Bakeries and Kpop Cafes

1. I’m American but I’ve been living in Norway for the past 3 1/2 years, and although there’s definitely that really dense bread that Martina talked about, I feel like there’s plenty of bread that’s similar to what I grew up with in the US. What I do miss are all the desserts, and all of the distinct names we have for them. In Norway, most desserts fall into the category of kaker (cakes), kjeks (crackers/crisp cookies), or muffins. This works for Norwegian desserts, but there’s been a huge influx of American desserts like cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies. I work at a bakery and I constantly hear customers (and even my co-workers and boss who’s an educated baker) call cupcakes “muffins” and refer to chocolate chip cookies as “cakes.” But seriously, I miss dark chocolaty cupcakes with American buttercream frosting… Mmmmm…

2. can’t agree more Simon and Martina! I was in Korea from Aug-Dec 2014, was staying in Seogyo-dong, at Hapjeong station exit 9 area (superb neighbourhood!) There was this really nice bakery that served fresh bakes – i know cos the bakers are seen in the kitchen kneading the dough and nice buttery smells come out of the shop which I can smell from the entrance to the street. But it was so sad that the shop closed in end Nov and I dun think it’s just rare that I witness a closure of a small business in matter of 3 months but it’s just quite common across Korea now that conglomerates or big franchise chains are swallowing these small but good eateries, losing the unique flavours of the neighbourhood esp Hongdae which has such vibrant cultures. :( I dun think my landlord even knows that her favorite bakery closed down since she lives in Gangnam!

3. I’m kind of confused as to why Simon and Martina cannot find sandwich bread that’s not sweet. Korean bakeries and grocery stores should have 식빵, sliced loaf of bread, that’s not sweet. I live in the US (in New Jersey), and I can go to Paris Baguette here or any number of other Korean bakeries and get bread that I can use for making savory sandwiches. Is 식빵 like the below sweet in Korea?

Korean bakeries like Paris Baguette try to pack premium ingredients like butter, milk, etc. into their 식빵 (to justify the high price-a loaf of Paris Baguette bread with 10 slices cost $4.00 here) so their bread tends to be a bit rich but I do not think it’s any sweeter than let’s say Wonder white bread.

I did some googling and found out that a slice of Wonder white bread has 2 grams of sugar and the Paris Baguette bread I linked above has 3 grams of sugar. Paris Baguette bread does have more sugar but I believe the size of each slice is bigger as well so I highly doubt that the Paris Baguette bread is too sweet to be used in making sandwiches. I must be missing something?

• the problem is that “shik-bang” is too white and dense and chewy for some of us. i do not like wonder bread and can’t find sandwich bread that isn’t like it. all bread in korea seems to only use refined flour and too much white sugar. even the “multi-grain” at tout les jour/paris baguette is too processed. man what i wouldn’t give for a sourdough, whole-wheat, or 9-grain. the sweet snack breads that korea has is okay once in a while, but i miss my toast in the mornings.

4. I live in NYC in a very Dominican neighborhood. I was so happy when I moved into the neighborhood and found a bakery one block away from my apartment since I too am a huge bread lover. But. I was surprised to find that Dominican bread is also very sweet. I don’t care for it. Its just a different way of making bread then I’m used to.

So I don’t go to my barkery for bread anymore but their pastries are fantastic! And I’m not too sad since there are some amazing bakeries in other neighborhoods just a subway stop away. I did want to cry though when last week I went to a friend’s house and he surprised us all on game night by supplying a selection of cheese, breads, and fruit compotes.

What I’m saying is…Bread is love. I am sorry for you both. And you guys are great, love every video!

P.S. On a weird side note, talking about Starbucks, I feel like Dunkin Donuts has taken Starbucks place, at least in New York. I have four within a 10 block radius. And the one closest to me just became an all kosher Dunkin Donuts…

5. When I lived in China, the bread was really sweet there too. They had bread labelled as sweet and we accidentally bought that, but then when we made sure to buy the “whole wheat” bread the next time, it was even sweeter than the sweet bread! What the heck, China? haha To be fair, there was one brand of bread that was just plain old bread except it wasn’t as fluffy as American bread and I actually prefer that, so it wasn’t all bad!

6. MASTERBAKER! JAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA I CRIED! JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ

Well, I live in Venezuela, and well, THERE IS NO FUCKIN’ FLOUR…like many other basic stuff, flour is quite scarce right now! Thanks to our shitty-crazy-communist-wannabe government! YEEEEI! In general, there is a very diverse bread culture over here, with a lot of salty and sweet varieties…it’s only that right now, bakers need to bake what they can and the most demanded varieties! I’m trying to quit most bread, it’s more healthy.

Most people consider our “arepas” to be something like bread, as it has the same “function” in melas jajajaja it is a “bread” prepared from a salty corn flour, and it is a basic part of breakfasts, sometimes a siding.

Greetings guys! And hey Simon…think about putting a name to that beard! IT’S ALIVE! WUAJAJAJAJA

• Really? That’s intense. How do you not have flour? Isn’t that a staple in most foods? What do you use as an alternative, then? I’m so curious!

7. I can’t agree more on this REALLY IMPORTANT matter as I’m French and was deceived by Paris Baguette the first time I went to Korea…
    I stayed 3 weeks last time I was there and near the end it was clear that I had a bread deficiency (at least psychologically). A Korean friend of mine took me to one of Hong Suk Chon’s restaurant in Itaewon and THERE WAS GOOD BREAD ! That was definitively one of the best moments of my trip to Korea.

Thank you for the good bakeries locations, I now can go to Korea without any worries !

8. I’m from Austria and bread and pastries are SUCH a big deal here! We have tons of different types of bread, I’ve even read that the German speaking part of Europe has the most types in the world (supposedly about 1300 different ones). Also they come in various shapes like prezels or plaited buns or semmels.
    I think Austria/Vienna is also quite known within Europe for its pastries (in French pastries are called “viennoiserie”). It’s common that people bake cakes at home for the weekend – not because it’s a special occasion but simply because it’s weekend and I love it! :D

9. I think we have a pretty good baking culture here in the UK. You can get reasonably fresh bakes from most of the supermarkets and there are plenty of local bakeries, I think this is true for most of Europe. However it is only in England (that I know off) that every summer the whole country tunes in to watch a show called “The Great British Bake Off”. Where a number of amateur bakers take part in a competition with no prize other than the title of “star baker” and any on screen misadventures become genuinely newsworthy the next day.

10. I’m trying to quit eating bread. It makes you fat. And my stomach can’t handle it. But it’s sooooo good. Fresh bread with butter. So much better than crispy bread (which isn’t as fattening) – unless the crispy bread is home made (which is quite yummy, I must say)

Baking bread is quite easy, though, if you have an oven. I guess that’s something for “You Are Here” café to handle? Yay!

In Norway, bread has been the most common thing to eat as food. Bread for breakfast (perhaps “havregryn” or porridge is more common for a lot of people), with “pålegg”*, like cheese (yay for brown cheese!), or jam or maybe even ham.

The bread I’m used to most people here buy (I guess?), is just “regular” bread from the super market (the more healthy, the better), so I guess bakeries is not where most people buy breads. Some people do, but not most people here. If people buy “bakery goods”, it’s probably because they’re eating at a cafeteria. Or at the canteen if people are way too lazy to make their own sandwich (which should be quite easy since the bread is already sliced from you bought it in the store. You have probably seen the bread slicer which every store has – which says something about how common bread buying there is). Bringing bread with “pålegg”* to school is something most kids have gone through.
    __

*”pålegg” – whatever you put on your bread except butter. Like cheese, ham, jam, etc.

11. I’m from Toronto and I can’t complain about breads. Sorry. Depending on what I’m craving for, there’s quite a few choices for me.. some close by my place, some a short drive away. I like challah, sour dough, pumpernickel, chabatta, focaccia, and baguette breads. But I remember traveling for work in Asia (South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan) that they do favor sweet style breads. I’ve vacationed in the Philippines and they have good breads, which was probably a contribution from the Americans. Although from what my cousins tell me, there’s a few franchise from Europe of bakeries like Paul’s from UK.

12. I agree about the Japanese bakeries, I don’t think I would have survived there a whole year without the amazing one by my university (where there was even free coffee!). But I still had trouble finding a decent loaf of bread, like your bread loaf options were 4, 5 or 6 really thick slices of white bread only. It was still quite sweet, and even more worrying, never seemed to go off…
    The place I most longed for decent bread was actually New Zealand – never thought I’d have a problem there, but most of the store bought bread there is seeds and grains for the most part, with very little actual dough. It was still nice, and probably much better for you, but sorry, I like me my good old proper British crusty white bread! ;D

13. Hello. Simon and Martina I,m korean who is student of Korea University. I recently stared to watch your videos thesedays. The last paragraph was littlebit mean. Actually I’ve been US for 6 month but I don’t feel any difference when it comes to backery. It may be because we have rice almost every meal. And I’d like to taste Swedish and Japan and figure out what is fantastic. Why don’t you open some bakey shop in Korea?

14. I’m from Poland and let me just say- for me personally, there’s no bread like Polish bread anywhere in the world (mayyybee at our neighbours’ like Ukraine etc…?) and I cry a lot for it while I live here in Korea….And I don’t mean it in a way like “oh, it’s the best” or something like that,but it’s just that it has something different in the taste than other European or Americen breads ;) Thankfully I managed to find some quite good bakeries (still not THE Polish style,but they’re tasty anyway ;).

The first one is on Garosu-gil, it’s called Boulangerie le Alaska and it’s in front of a cafe called Able. Here’s the link to the cafe (in Korean): http://map.naver.com/?lng=127.0230844&lat=37.5235333&dlevel=11&mapmode=0&pinId=30926913&pinType=site&enc=b64

The other one is called Amandier and it’s near Insadong. You have to get off at Anguk station, exit 1. They have really good sandwiches (nd macarons) Here the map: https://www.google.co.kr/maps/place/%EC%95%84%EB%AA%AC%EB%94%94%EC%97%90/@37.5760813,126.9853176,17z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1s1F+Anguk+Bldg.+New+Wing+175-3+Anguk-dong,+Jongno-gu,+Seoul,+South+Korea!3m1!1s0x357ca2c3011a574d:0x3b593498eacb4f55?hl=pl

The third one in on the exact same street. Sadly I don’t remember the name,but if you find Amandier,you will find it too, because you also have to get off at Anguk station,take exit 1 and then turn left(you have to turn right to get to the Amandier) and you will pass by cafe bene or coffee beans (I always mix them up xD) and a post office too, I think(I have been there only once,so I can’t remember exactly) and you shall find a small and a little dark bakery- they have great bread and sandwiches also :)

Lastly, when I’m too lazy to ride 1,5 hour to buy my bread, I go to Shinsaege Department Store- they have a franchise called Milk and Honey and I personally find their dark bread and chocolate filled french bread/pie(?) very yummy ^^

P.S. I hope all of these bakeries are still out there xD
    P.S.2 Polish bread – I miss you SO MUCH! :(((((((((

15. MLE

Well if you’re looking for a french pastry chef to expand the items at your cafe, my sister just graduated from le cordon bleu in london and is looking for work haha :) (her macarons are on point!)

16. Ina

When I studied abroad in China I went through the same thing. The only time I found real (American) bread was at an international supermarket or Subway (sadly). It was hard eating a sandwich with sweet bread T.T I do not miss those days but they definitely had delicious deserts/sweet breads when I wasn’t craving French bread.

17. Sounds like Tim Hortons. They’re freshly baked but not freshly made in the store (if that makes sense).

18. Compare the Paris Baguette in the US with the ones in Korea! I’ve heard ours are a little better, since I’m assuming we have different menu items and use different ingredients. Where I live, a Paris Baguette and Caffe Bene opened recently and Tour Les Jours is at h-mart in the suburbs. I’m obsessed the Cinnamon Syrup Flat Cake at PB, although I’ve compared the one where I live to ones in Manhattan and my PB is definitely better (thicker, sweeter) :p

19. kinda random but your comment at the end about wanting a steampunk brace made me think about these facemasks that i’ve seen popping up in japan. they’re facemasks but they look like kabuki masks, or i’ve seen ones that look like the vilains from Dragon Ball, lol. sorry it has nothing to do with the topic haha, but i thought you guys might find that cool :p

there are a lot of bakeries in Japan, and several bakery chains as well, but it doesn’t seem to be as bad as korea… there still are a lot of smaller, independent ones as well. and if you want white bread, they you’re good, but it’s nearly impossible to find any other kind, and if you ever seen baguette sold anywhere, it’s never the right texture, always too soft… and of course no other kind of fancy breads like multi-grain or brown bread either… but japan looooves their bread. in fact, be careful cuz, like75% of the time, when you think you’re buying some kind of cake or donut…. nope!! it’s bread! with icing on top! :/ and japanese people don’t like sweet stuff so even if you see super stylish, beautiful little cakes, most of the time, they taste like nothing (they especially fail at chocolate cake… T_T) the only cakes that Japan does really really well are shortcake and cheesecake. other than that, you’re taking a big chance…

20. nice video:)

I was just in San Francisco for a week and had awesome, local, allergy-friendly sourdough bread delivered to my hotel by breadsrsly. so good!

There are a lot of (gluten-filled) bakeries in Oregon. Many amazing ones. I’m sorry you guys miss out so much. A few years ago a bunch of folks got on this “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” kick and made amazing-tasting bread in very little time. It might be fun for you guys to dink around with sometime? http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes-ebook/dp/B000XPNUPY/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424327635&sr=1-8&keywords=artisan+bread+in+five+minutes+a+day
    My mouth is watering now…

21. Uwe

Dear Simonandmartina,

some months ago I was looking for something completely different on youtube and came upon a video for how to eat ramen like a pro. Although I didn’t know what a ramen is, I thought to myself: whatever it may be, if it can be made like a pro, I have to know it.
    Since then I got stuck to your videos and watched (felt) several thousand of them. Not that I ever will go to Korea (neither North nor South), but to improve my English. So you did a good job as English teachers and gave me a glance on a lot of expressions that were sometimes hard to check out on different dictionary websites. Despite your high speed diction it was not only stressful, but also a big fun and a great delight to learn about completely useless things.

Thank you for that. Now I want to give you something back.

I can feel with you and your problem with Korean bread. I am from Germany, more precisely from Bavaria, more more precisely from Franconia and most precisely from Nuremberg. So if you are any familiar with it, you know by now that I’m from the place with the best Brot, Bier und Wurst in the world. I like to travel anywhere in the world, eating anything the natives would eat. But the thing I miss most after two or three weeks, is bread. Bread with a crispy crust. Bread not only of wheat but of rye. Bread like this: http://www.hasi-schmeckerbaecker.de/admin/dbbilder/Krustenbrot-freigestellt.png

But even without good bakeries in your town it is no problem to make a good bread by yourself. Without any knowledge. Just with the right machine (such as those: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bread+maker).
    Here in Germany we can buy ready to use convenience blends for many different kinds of bread for 79 cents a kilo (example: http://www.friessinger-muehle.de/produkte/brotbackmischung/klassisch.html). If you buy it on Amazon, it is slightly more expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Kuechenmeister-Baking-Mixture-Farmer-Bread/dp/B00EIRJFMK ;-)
    Just add half a Kilo of the blend and 300 ml of warm water, press the button and wait two or three hours. That’s it, idiot proof. I do it every few days although I could buy good bread on every corner. But I like to play around, add some seeds or nuts or what.

Have a look at it. And if you think it’s good for you, tell me your address and the hows of importing things to Korea, and I’ll send it to you. And if you are in Germany next time, don’t miss to come to Bavaria. I would be glad to show you lovely landscapes, good beer and strange food. And if you come around Christmas, there is gingerbread, what Nuremberg is also famous for (http://www.lebkuchen-schmidt.com/Nuernberger-Lebkuchen/Lebkuchen-Dosen/)

Read you / see you
    Uwe

22. can you talk about blackface in korea

23. Paris Baguette is exotic in New York City. There are already several.

My least favorite baked good location in the world is Tibet. It might have changed since I was there in the mid-2000s … however … Not only is what passes for bread disgusting, but they use Yak butter (made from Yak’s milk), which …. well … there’s a reason why Yak is both a noun and a verb.

24. The Baker’s Table, runs by German’s on Noksapyeongdaero. Chef Meili’s Deli, brochen and pretzels, Austrian run behind Geckos across from the Hamilton. One I can’t remember the name of it, but was in Inchon dong, near Asan Hospital on the north side of the road. Get your fix!

25. You’ve talked a little about modesty in Korea, but what is a teacher expected to wear? Are sleeveless shirts ok? What about denim pants? Just wondering what the school-atmosphere dress code is like…

26. Guys try Dear Bread (디어브레드)in Anam near Korea Uni!! Strongly recommended

27. I’m german and i loooove bread.
    But as you mentioned also in europe bread is different:
    I’ve lived in Italy for some years (with my family), and even there we missed german bread. So that my mum baked her own bread for us. It’s just germany is the country in the world with the most varieties of bread. So we have all types from white to dark bread. In italy the bread is different. It’s more white and we also had a small bread and when we cut it in half there was nothing inside! Just a big hole. That was creepy…

28. I was in Korea last month and I love cafe hopping. I tried to avoid going to all the franchise cafes. One that I really love is Dallroll. Its a cafe that sells diff types of roll cakes and has got the most amazing drinks. I love their latte very much coz of the thick foam. My friends love that cafe as well. Its like in between Hapjeong and Hongik. Totally recommend that cafe!

29. My sentiments exactly; Paris Baguette and Tours les Jours were kinda meh. Cafes feels similar to Starbucks to me and I’m not a fan of Starbucks myself. Angel In Us cafe makes really good waffles though!
    Perhaps I am spoilt because I get fresh (sandwich) bread everyday (perks of having a dad who works at a bakers), and we also have very very good coffee/cafes here in Melbourne. I guess when you’re spoilt you tend to get picky lol.

30. Hey, did you know there is this machine that makes bread?? You put all the ingredients inside, program it and it bakes it for you, you can even like put all the ingredients in before going to sleep and program it to have your bread ready and warm for the time you get up.
    Well, i don’t know if this is new for you, but since it’s become very popular here, i thought it would be cool to share the information in case you haven’t heard of it yet. In Argentina, it costs about u$s90 ($1.000 more or less) and you can buy it online.
    Ok guys, hope you find this useful! Love your videos :)

31. Wow ! First of all I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cover with SJ Eunhyuk . ^_^
    Second, I’m an Arab from Israel, and I eat Arabic bread. Do you know how that’s like ?? Here is the URL for a google search: https://www.google.co.il/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CAFB_enIL624IL624&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=arabic%20bread%20in%20israel
    However, this bread makes you fat . hhh :D I have been on a diet from this bread for half a year already . So what do I eat ? I eat full-whaet bread, and the best from those come from the Angel Bakeries. Luckily enough they have them on Wikipedia. Here’s the URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Bakeries

Thanks so mch for the always interesting and lovely topics. Have a great day !! :)

32. So I feel sad that bread we are use to isn’t available but I live in Dallas Texas and in Carrolton, 10 min away, where all the Korean shops and restaurants are, inside our Hmart is a Tous Les Jour and I like it simply for one product…. Melon Bread *-* I use to dream about trying it when I was in high school, because I lived in a small town 2 hours from Dallas, and when i discovered the sweet symphony that is melon bread, my life became complete. But yea good old fashioned wonder bread or whatever loaf is something we in Texas find it’s a staple food for many meals. Couldn’t imagine being without it -_-

33. Would you please make a video about mukbang in Korea?

• We’ve been thinking about it, but so many people are talking about it and I’m not sure what we could offer to the discussion that’s new, you know?

• I for one would like to see your perspective on mukbang. I recently saw Muchies’ video on it, but I didn’t care much about their approach, ’cause it made mukbang seem sinister somehow, as if there were a hidden facade to be uncovered. However, I was definitely intrigued! I mean, how can such small people eat so much food? One of the BJs on Munchies did seem noticeably heavier from it, but generally speaking, they eat as much as an Olympic athlete requires (perhaps more). I believe that eating some these BJs’ portions would drive me into a coma, and this is all coming from someone who enjoys food and eating.

34. I would love to intern/extern at a Korean bakery! Any ideas how to make a connection? Or who to speak with? (I would want to wait until my korean is pretty fluent… like 2017-ish lol)

35. Hi Simon and Martina! I live in New York but I kinda get where you’re coming from. If you go to some of the Chinese bakeries in Chinatown (or a Chinese neighborhood), the bread tends to be sweet. They do have some more savory choices, but the bread used in the savory item is still sweet. For example, they sell hot dog buns. While the hot dog is savory, the bread itself is still sweet, so it kinda just tastes like two different things wrapped around each other.

I’ve also visited a Paris Baguette in Manhattan and Queens. Their items are decent, but not great. It’s also pretty pricey for some items (a few dollars for a small popsicle…). One time, I had some of my friend’s green tea cake and noticed that the bottom crust part was a bit to hard to chew. By the time I swallowed, I realized I had eaten the paper that they used to “bake” it with ._. The paper was almost the same color as the actual crust so I couldn’t tell T~T At that point, my friends and I only ate the cake and left the crust alone. You’d think the crust would be hard to separate from the cake…it wasn’t. Basically, I have mixed feelings about Paris Baguette lol (a few of their regular size cakes are good).

36. Zoe

Oh? You guys don’t get multi-coloured bands on your braces? Awww :-( To be honest though, I had mine for so long that my orthodontist wired up my train tracks in a special way so that my teeth would stay put as they didn’t need to move anymore. Therefore I had no need for pretty-coloured bands. When I did need them I got a good selection of colours though e.g. pink, green, purple, blue…

I don’t have much to say on bakeries because we don’t go to our local one, we used to buy gingerbread men from there but nowadays we have a bread maker (to be honest I actually prefer the shop-bought white sliced bread but don’t tell me mam). The last bakery I went to was in France on the way to my placement, and I bought breakfast for a homeless guy twice that week *halo*

37. Bakeries in the Netherlands can vary widely wether you’re north or south. In the north a kind of bread called ‘roggebrood’ (I’m not sure what ‘rogge’ is in English, it’s a type of grain) that’s very loose and usually served in cracker-like slices is eaten a lot. Then there’s sukerbole, which translates from Frysian as ‘sugar bread’, and as its name suggests it has sugar in it. It’s also quite sticky and usually eaten with just some butter on it.

I guess because the southern part borders Belgium and Germany we also have some of our types of bread from them. Sourdough is quite popular, and I like it too.

When it comes to pastries most stores that I’ve been have pretty similar selections. There’s always apple and chocolate cakes, and raspberry pudding-like cakes. Appelflappen are also found pretty much everywhere; it’s a triangle of dough folded and stuffed with raisins and apples and coated with sugar.
    It was kind of a shocker when I was in Korea that bread as I’m used to couldn’t be found here. Most of what I ate was really sweet and sticky hahaha. But then I’ve also been to India several times, and there it is also quite difficult to find a bakery in any form.

Speaking of celebrities and their mums endorsing chains, one of my friends met Leeteuk’s mum while visiting a cafe and took a picture with her. It was pretty cool because that was apparently one of the few times she herself was present in the store. Another of my friends met Niel (of Teen Top)’s mum while visiting a different cafe. I don’t know if the cafe’s/bakeries they went to are part of a larger chain though.

38. I have a question on for your next TL;DR, I am going to Korea for 2 month and i don’t know what to bring or anything so. What important things should i bring to Korea???

• I’ll be going to Korea for 4 months soon; it really depends on the season and etc. Just take what you think you’ll be needing, like a sweater. Whatever else you need when you’re in Korea and forgot to take with you you can get when you’re there. I also think Simon and Martina already did a number of videos about life in Korea.

39. In the UK our baked goods are super sad tasting. What you can get in the nicest bakeries here is still bad in comparison to what you can get in a french gas station. I’m going to Vienna soon and just plan to surround myself in cake the whole time because baked goods in this country make me so sad. You can get good bread here in bakeries though as least.

40. I don’t really eat from American bakeries since it’s hard to tell where their pastries come from and the tastes are pretty common to a lot of other places except each places name them differently. And this is from small business bakeries. If you want the good stuff (fresh bake everyday), you need to fork up top cash at high ended locations. For cheaper prices, I often go for Chinese bakeries in Chinatown around my area. They are made fresh everyday and you can actually see bakers at the back busting in and out to restock the shelves. American bakeries are all in pre-packaged boxes so it’s difficult to tell how long it’s been on the shelf in the box. You could be paying full price for old, moldy bread and you wouldn’t know it until you opened and checked it yourself. People these days have no respect for food anymore; anything to make money.