Korean Like a Pro 3: Restaurant Talk

April 22, 2011

Comments

BAM! Welcome back, Korean Like a Pro. We never forgot about this segment. Never! We just got sidetracked for a bit with other projects. But this segment has a special place in our hearts, and we plan on doing more in the future, maybe not as a regular weekly segment, but we’ll do it every so often. Or should we do it as a weekly segment? What do you think?

Anyhow, I think the Russian part of this video needs a bit of an explanation. This might be a sensitive topic, but it needs to be discussed. KOREAN MEN: if you are reading this, please, please stop asking foreigner women if they are Russian. We know what you mean when you are asking. You’re not kindly asking if we’re from Russia. You’re not curious about our background or trying to start a conversation. You’re asking if we’re prostitutes, and it’s exceptionally offensive.

#1 Not all Russian women are prostitutes, and just the insinuation is unbelievably racist.

#2 Not all pretty foreigners are prostitutes. Just you asking is exceptionally insulting as well. Imagine if foreigners started asking random Korean women if they’re prostitutes. I don’t even know where to begin with this.

#3 And this is important, just in case people try claiming the opposite – not all Korean men are dirty perverts, either. Not all of them ask if you’re Russian. In fact, not many of them do, but it happens regularly enough to get you angry about it. Notice how we don’t go up to old Korean guys and ask them if they’re dirty Johns, either. Just because a few of them are, it’s far from reasonable to ask a random Ajosshi if he like prostitutes.

Ah well. I doubt scuzzy Korean men will be reading this anyways. They’re not really our target demographic. But we got that off our chests! And so, if you’re a woman coming to Korea, and you find yourself being asked if you’re Russian…well, now you know why!

Back to the movie: this time we finally go to a restaurant! As you might have remembered from our last Korean Like a Pro, we left our two characters just after they decided where they should eat. It’s been many months since then, and now they’re back in the Spring time ready to eat again, and their decision is the same as before! Woohoo! Dwegi Galbi 4 lyfe!

At the end of the video the guy says something along the lines of “very well. We won’t eat ice cream then.” It was really difficult to pronounce, because it’s supposed to sound like “Ice Cream Anmotgettneh,” but the transition from the T to the N sound is really difficult, especially since Simon had a cold, and he can barely pronounce his Ns with a stuffed nose. Note: we never claimed to be fluent in Korean to begin with!

If there are other scenarios or situations you’d like to see our Aegyo girl and her Oppa go through, so that we can try enacting some basic Korean that you’re interested in learning, let us know. We can’t promise that we’ll know how to talk about it in Korean, but we can at least give it a shot!

Comments

Random Magical Items!

Korean Like a Pro 3: Restaurant Talk

1. Ahaha you guys sound really good to me! XD

2. no.. I don’t think you know what Martina is talking about
    I don’t want to offend you but I think its very naive of you think that way

There are actually many real Russian prostitutes in Korea,
    the reason Korean Johns started to ask foreign girl such question is because there are actually such girls.
    This is very offensive to Russians I think.. I am very sorry.. :(
    Well now foreigner population has grown so much and people started to think of them being here more naturally but even just few years ago, foreigners were so few.. almost like 95% of them were US soldiers and as for young causian women population, most times they were Russian girls came here for inappropriate job! (of course its not the same now!)

A girl in your age not being familiar of this is understandable, its natural.
    like Martina said in the video, a young girl(like you!) asking if you are russian would actually mean if she comes from Russia.
    (I mean why ask such question if there were no such girls??)
    But there’s more to the reality than you know

3. you guys so funny! and martina, your Korean pronunciation is goooooood! you so-ju lover~

4. lol this video always make me laugh *moves eyebrows* russian saram??? haha

giggity!!

5. I love your translations of Oppa. They are so funny. I’ve always wondered why girls would call their crushes their older brother? The idea in America is if you think of someone as your brother you wouldn’t want to date them, then again it is a different culture so hey.

6. Hey guys, just stumbled across your channel. Very entertaining! I’m also trying to pick up a bit of Korean as I will be visiting in a few months. Your videos do help as you don’t say them too fast and like I said, entertaining to watch =) Please try to include a few more day-to-day phrases!

7. I am a Korean, and I never knew that the word “러시아 사람” had such a connotation! Shame!98% of Koreans love Russia, America, and Canada. So bad that you met some ugly Koreans.

8. I love following you guys! Great stuff. Would rather watch your posts than anything on TV. I’m Korean-American, and your insights are spot on. Great Ttuck boki recipe BTW. xoxo

9. oh my goodness I would GLADLY sub the Korean for you guys!

10. I forgot to write this…
    I can’t be 100% sure because there are always exceptional people.
    I recommend foreign travelers don’t go out alone when it gets dark outside.

11. You guys are so cute, and your Korean is excellent. I am impressed.

12. lol! Russians and Eastern Europeans are generally recognised as prostitutes in south korea but that kind of things happen all the time. When ‘Australian’ prime minister visited south korea for G20 summit last year, they presented her with a doll dressed in a ‘Austrian’ traditional costume. haha!

13. I want to download this as a podcast on iTunes but it’s not listed. :-( I’ve genuinely been wondering for a while how to say “I want this one” or “I want that one” in Korean. I’m going to take a quick trip to Seoul soon and eating is very important to me. So I need to communicate my neeeeeds (yeah, that sounds kiiiiinda dirty but whatevs) haha! :-)

Along those lines, you know what’d be great?? If you did some kind of top 10 Must Eat dishes, or top 10 street foods to gorge yourself on. I know this isn’t necessarily a food blog, but you know, I’d appreciate your personal recommendations! For real for real.

14. oy that russian thing is creepy

15. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooo happy to see KOREAN LIKE A PRO again!!!!!!!!
    i remember when i first watched it… it was really amazing..
    I kept saying “Daebak” watching you!!
    this time, i noticed this episode is kind of controversial but i think you pointed the truth exatly..
    anyways, i will be looking forward to watching the next episode! C YA ;-D

16. i have a request prease – could you add the written romanized script somewhere in your future posts? thanx!

and yes i’d love to see these vids with greater quantity and frequency! =D

your blog is awesomeeeee!