Korean Like a Pro 3: Restaurant Talk

April 22, 2011

Comments

BAM! Welcome back, Korean Like a Pro. We never forgot about this segment. Never! We just got sidetracked for a bit with other projects. But this segment has a special place in our hearts, and we plan on doing more in the future, maybe not as a regular weekly segment, but we’ll do it every so often. Or should we do it as a weekly segment? What do you think?

Anyhow, I think the Russian part of this video needs a bit of an explanation. This might be a sensitive topic, but it needs to be discussed. KOREAN MEN: if you are reading this, please, please stop asking foreigner women if they are Russian. We know what you mean when you are asking. You’re not kindly asking if we’re from Russia. You’re not curious about our background or trying to start a conversation. You’re asking if we’re prostitutes, and it’s exceptionally offensive.

#1 Not all Russian women are prostitutes, and just the insinuation is unbelievably racist.

#2 Not all pretty foreigners are prostitutes. Just you asking is exceptionally insulting as well. Imagine if foreigners started asking random Korean women if they’re prostitutes. I don’t even know where to begin with this.

#3 And this is important, just in case people try claiming the opposite – not all Korean men are dirty perverts, either. Not all of them ask if you’re Russian. In fact, not many of them do, but it happens regularly enough to get you angry about it. Notice how we don’t go up to old Korean guys and ask them if they’re dirty Johns, either. Just because a few of them are, it’s far from reasonable to ask a random Ajosshi if he like prostitutes.

Ah well. I doubt scuzzy Korean men will be reading this anyways. They’re not really our target demographic. But we got that off our chests! And so, if you’re a woman coming to Korea, and you find yourself being asked if you’re Russian…well, now you know why!

Back to the movie: this time we finally go to a restaurant! As you might have remembered from our last Korean Like a Pro, we left our two characters just after they decided where they should eat. It’s been many months since then, and now they’re back in the Spring time ready to eat again, and their decision is the same as before! Woohoo! Dwegi Galbi 4 lyfe!

At the end of the video the guy says something along the lines of “very well. We won’t eat ice cream then.” It was really difficult to pronounce, because it’s supposed to sound like “Ice Cream Anmotgettneh,” but the transition from the T to the N sound is really difficult, especially since Simon had a cold, and he can barely pronounce his Ns with a stuffed nose. Note: we never claimed to be fluent in Korean to begin with!

If there are other scenarios or situations you’d like to see our Aegyo girl and her Oppa go through, so that we can try enacting some basic Korean that you’re interested in learning, let us know. We can’t promise that we’ll know how to talk about it in Korean, but we can at least give it a shot!

Comments

Random Magical Items!

Korean Like a Pro 3: Restaurant Talk

1. MB

LOL – and I actually did Laugh Out Loud. I stayed up till 1 in the morning watching all your videos last night!

2. May I ask, how often does it happen to Martina? Are all foreigners thought to be from Russia in general, or is it just the dirty old men who are looking for prostitutes thinking that foreigners are from Russia?

3. It was so CUTE when you guys speak in Korean (K-drama love it!!) I would not stop laughing.Hey Simon have you ever grown your hair that long before?

• haha you do look better with short hair. AND!! As a 한국사람, I must say your Korean pronunciation is really good! There are small parts when Martina spoke in Korean (the aegyo and the regular Canadian Martina) that sounded very very very fluent; I was quite surprised. Good job guys XD if only I can get my parents to speak English (they’ve been in America for 16 years lol and I still have to call about credit card stuff) :D

4. Nice! Very helpful~~I think I’ve had friends get asked that before, too. XP
    Random question: Even though you say (in Korea) I only speak a little, do you get people speaking fluent Korean to you? I always use that phrase and most of the time, I still get long replies. my response is often O_O? …몰라요! >_>

• ALL THE TIME! We’ll say that we speak a little Korean, a LIIIIIIIITLE Korean, and even make tiny motions with our hands, and they’ll say “ahhh………..AJSFWIUTAJ ajtwij bkajlkwito biuwoiuwet oiaoiutoiwe” really quickly afterwards. Nobody ever takes it easy on us :(

• I was like that with my very pitiful chinese, my korean is pretty bad too. But what they hey, you learn while making a foul of yourself :)

5. mya

LOL !!

6. Russian sah-ram would literally translate to Russian person or when someone says that you to in a questioning way it would be more like, ‘you’re Russian?’/’Are you Russian?’
    Lol, and no wonder… since there are a lot of young Russian prostitutes in Korea. Why? I don’t really know.

7. Actually OPPA is a brother not a guy! Huge FAN Na nun hangook sah ram ee ah

• Erm, it’s also something you can call someone you have a crush on…. I think it’s anyone you have a close relationship with that is a little bit older than you?? But it’s definitely not meant JUST for your brother.

8. Good movie and some good points made!

9. hey! i luv your web page!!! i was thinking that it would be great if you write subtitles in Korean so, viewers can read, watch or pronounce what you’re saying in Korean :-)
    and i also love your segment, kpop music mondays!!!! yay!! <3

10. Oh dear…. I’m Dutch and I have been told I look scandinavian… Because I’m tall, blond and pale…
    But it’s good to know that if a girl is asked something like that she can slap teh guy in teh face or beat him with her purse because that is disgusting! I don’t randomly go up to chinese people and ask if they will give me a massage with a happy ending! It’s so racist! Yuk!
    But I like the giggity giggity boom boom XD that just kills me!

11. A J

Hahaha, you guys are dorks!

12. Kay

Love the “oppa” translations haha and the typical “Are you American?” “Oh no I’m Canadian”…those are some of the most classic chitchats that exist haha.

13. hahaha you ROCK Martina!!
    + What’s up with Russian?
    I know they are recognized as pretty in Korea, but what’s wrong with that?

14. hahaha too hilarious

15. The thumbs up at the end, CLASSIC talk like a pro!

16. Thanks! We don’t have a proper keyboard, so we just bash away at the laptop keyboard. LAME! Still fun, though :D