Korean Ramen

February 19, 2011

Comments

A long time ago we did a video about a Korean Ramen Taste Test. In that video, though, we didn’t include Shin Ramen, which is hands down Korea’s most popular ramen. In our opinion, it would clearly blow the other ramens out of the water. Anyhow, enough excuses: now we’re doing an entire video dedicated to how we make Shin Ramen. Huzzah!

Before we start, though, I think it’s worth mentioning that there are many ways to spell ramen in Korean. It’s either “ramyun” or “ramyeon,” so to avoid confusion we’re sticking with the canonical “ramen.” So there!

Now, we don’t like to prepare ramen straight up. We like our ramen to be a little more…gourmet. Yes, it does sound ridiculous to make 50 cent ramen gourmet, but it’s possible! Our recipe calls for a slice of cheese, one beaten egg, some bok choy, and some odeng. We like our odeng from Busan, specifically from Nampodong market (which we didn’t make a video for out of our many Busan videos, unfortunately) which supposedly has the best odeng in the entire world. When Simon came back from Busan the first time, he brought a monster bag of it, and we’ve kept it in the freezer since then. It actually holds quite well in the freezer.

Also, in the video you see Martina using an iPod app to help with the ramen. We highly recommend the Korean Ramen Timer app. It’s fantastic. It lists lots of different varieties of ramen to choose from. Choose the brand and the size, and it will tell you exactly how long your water should be in there for the perfect serving of ramen. Isn’t that awesome? And it’s free! Better than that, it’s cute!

So, that’s that for our favorite way to make Korean ramen. If you’ve got a recipe you like, please share! We’re willing to try new things out. Another thing: we opened up another YouTube channel for bonus footage. We oftentimes have silly stuff that we can’t put into our regular videos, so we made an extra channel for that now. Huzzah! Subscribe to that channel by clicking on this button here. Also, thanks to JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* for subbing our videos. Sweet!

Comments

Food Adventure

Korean Ramen

1. Is that timer app still around and if so what’s is it called? I’d like to see if its available for Android.
    If it’s not available, do you have another you use now?

2. Hey Simon and Martina I Just want to say thank you guys for shearing this recipe I tried it and it was so Flipping yummy I can’t even begin to describe how happy it made me but since I live in the states Odeng is hard to come by so I replaced it with Marinated grilled chicken instead lol any way Thanks Again I Love You Guys Keep Doing What You Do Cause You’re AWESOME!!!

3. After a long search, I finally found Shin Nong Shim Ramyun in a local Asian Super Market (OMG – Heaven <3)
    So I'll try it out tonight. Sadly, there's no bok choy, odeng or processed cheese in my fridge, so an egg needs to be enough xD
    Got some extra Kimchi as a side dish, though :D (I'll eat my Kimchi HAHA)

Some time soon (after gathering the other ingredients like bok choy and processed cheese – no odeng available here in Germany! maybe I'll try out chicken breast) I'll try to make a gourmet ramyun dish just like yours. It looks so mouthwatering yummy!

4. Instead of odeng, I used one small can of sliced chicken breast. It was great! Can’t wait to have this again next weekend.

5. YAY

Where do you get your ramen timer i looked all over for it!

6. I did the egg wrong :( But it still came out very good! Thank you for this wonderful ramyun tutorial!.

7. —–Toppings——
    Dduk is delicious in ramen! I’m talking about the kind in the rice cake soup (dduk gook…? sorry I can’t romanize korean letters at all). Bok Choy, cabbage, dumplings, and others are all great. Egg is awesome too (boiled, poached, or stirred in)

—–Soup Base—-
    Also if you experiment with bases such as a daenjang base or a gomtang/sullungtang (beef bone) base you’ll get nice other flavors! Personally I like the gom tang base because it makes the ramen nice and thick- great for cold winter days!
    Also there are noodle techniques like if you try to lift up your noodles frequently as you cook they tend to come out thinner and not as thicker or soggy :)
    —–Neng Shin Ramyun (Cold Shin Ramen) ——-
    There’s also a cold variation which i like to use in the summer. I cook the noodles and soup separately where the noodles (+ veggies or no veggie packet) are cooked until thoroughly soft and washed in cold water (sometimes i put ice with it to help). The soup is cooked with very little water, probably like 1/4 or less than usual then cooled by adding ice which will increase water content and making it less concentrated. Put it together and viola! Neng Shin Ramyun! You can add a boiled egg and I heard of some people added vinegar but I haven’t tried it :P
    ——————–Shin Ramen Spagetti———-
    Okay I definitely haven’t tried this often enough to perfect it but the concept behind it is to make a thick sauce with the seasoning… kinda like jjapagetti or jjajjaroni. So you cook the noodles + veggies with water, pour out some of the water and add the sauce in…. You may need to add flour or starch to really thicken it up though. Add poached egg on top if wanted (maybe cheese?) and tada. Shin Ramen “spagetti” style.
    ———————Shin Ramen Dry Snack——————
    Every Korean child has tried this before and basically its where the Korean snack “bboo shuh bboo shuh” came from. You get a shin ramen bag, beat it up, open it and add the seasoning powder and shake it all up. Throw away nasty veggies or keep them for later :D Eat and enjoy!
    ———-Shin Ramyun Jook (Shin Ramen Rice Porridge)————
    Okay this is a personal creation of mine and I really like it actually. You can add whatever toppings you want but the basic recipe is that you have some of the Shin Ramen Dry Snack (look above) left over and you boil it in a small amount of water. So you’ll have crushed up noodles + soup + roughly 1/2 water. Boil until noodles are soft and then add cooked rice. Boil it all together until it makes a thick consistency and there you have it… Ramen Jook >;;;

8. Lol totally forgot about the Nigella moment in this XD But it’s so accurate.

9. whoaaaa what is the ramen timer app you use called?

10. totally made shin ramen with kimchi today and added cheese.the ramen timer app really helps me.

11. you dont stir in the cheese, you lay the cheese on after the meal is finished… and you eat the cheese first, bite by bite with the ramyun… only a noob would mix in the cheese, that makes the soup look like vomit.

• I like mixing my cheese with my soup – it kind of reminds me of spicy cheese soup. It doesn’t look like vomit, but then again, this is my opinion. To each his/her own?

12. Sooooo, I had to post again because I made ramen again and this time I added in red peppers to the mix. REALLY good. I also ate the the last bits of ramen and sauce with rice and crispy seaweed. Seriously, one of the best meals EVER.

13. I was really weirded out by the idea of putting cheese in there, but it made it REALLLYYYY Good! I’d also never put egg in there, but I wanted to try. and I made bulgogi style chicken and threw that in there too. But no veggies because I didn’t have them lol. But really this was so good, I’m glad I listened to the cheese idea.

14. I was able to make the same recipe here in Brasil, with the exactly same brand of ramen, but oh my god, the spice that comes with ramen is soooooo hootttt, it was very difficult to eat so i’ll probably try to put less spice next time, but inspite of this, it was actually a really great meal.

15. you are forgetting the kimchi!!!!!

16. kim shi ramyeon