Korean Ramen

February 19, 2011

Comments

A long time ago we did a video about a Korean Ramen Taste Test. In that video, though, we didn’t include Shin Ramen, which is hands down Korea’s most popular ramen. In our opinion, it would clearly blow the other ramens out of the water. Anyhow, enough excuses: now we’re doing an entire video dedicated to how we make Shin Ramen. Huzzah!

Before we start, though, I think it’s worth mentioning that there are many ways to spell ramen in Korean. It’s either “ramyun” or “ramyeon,” so to avoid confusion we’re sticking with the canonical “ramen.” So there!

Now, we don’t like to prepare ramen straight up. We like our ramen to be a little more…gourmet. Yes, it does sound ridiculous to make 50 cent ramen gourmet, but it’s possible! Our recipe calls for a slice of cheese, one beaten egg, some bok choy, and some odeng. We like our odeng from Busan, specifically from Nampodong market (which we didn’t make a video for out of our many Busan videos, unfortunately) which supposedly has the best odeng in the entire world. When Simon came back from Busan the first time, he brought a monster bag of it, and we’ve kept it in the freezer since then. It actually holds quite well in the freezer.

Also, in the video you see Martina using an iPod app to help with the ramen. We highly recommend the Korean Ramen Timer app. It’s fantastic. It lists lots of different varieties of ramen to choose from. Choose the brand and the size, and it will tell you exactly how long your water should be in there for the perfect serving of ramen. Isn’t that awesome? And it’s free! Better than that, it’s cute!

So, that’s that for our favorite way to make Korean ramen. If you’ve got a recipe you like, please share! We’re willing to try new things out. Another thing: we opened up another YouTube channel for bonus footage. We oftentimes have silly stuff that we can’t put into our regular videos, so we made an extra channel for that now. Huzzah! Subscribe to that channel by clicking on this button here. Also, thanks to JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* for subbing our videos. Sweet!

Comments

Food Adventure

Korean Ramen

1. Once i dropped an MM in (red) and belive it or not but it was… refreshing… delishious ^^
    It was like a mix of hot noodles with cold chocolate
    a mix of sweet with savory
    dessert with dinner… why wait!
    i would suggest that if you try it to not put the whole packet of MM's in (didn't turn out well) the whole bowl turned brown from the melted chocolate!
    also not everyone will like it!

2. Wow~ Martina your dance is very very super super supa dupa cute~!! >â–½<
    And.. I'm sorry but 'O-deng' is Japanese language T T
    I'm sorry if you know 'il-jae-gang-jeom-gi(일제강점기)' in Korean history(O My English is terrible), but I'll explain this(Can I be not rude?)
    Japan invaded many countries in 1900s and you know Korea includes in there, huh?
    So Japan pressure Koreans to use Japanese language, Jananese name, Japanese culture..
    And Japan abuse and oppress Korean in no reason TT
    So, in this process, many many Japanese language was into Korean's life and Korean uses many Japanese language to this day.
    (Please read next comment)

3. Thank you for the info! Your English is great! We understood you perfectly!

We're going to try calling it Eo-muk from now on. We heard a few people mention this to us. We didn't know about the history.

Thanks again :D

4. Tried my hand at the gourmet ramen today. Used a chicken-flavored Maruchan Ramen packet, a beaten egg, a hot dog and a slice of white American cheese. Definitely filling, and unique. I might do this more often.

5. SIMON'S POLISH! NEVER THOUGHT OF POLISH RAMEN! WOWOWOWOWOWWWWW!

Now, just to find Knore here in Korea. On a side note, I really miss perogies :(

6. Ha! It got lost in editing. Step 3 is "add the powder packets to the boiling water" Oops!

7. kim shi ramyeon

8. you are forgetting the kimchi!!!!!

9. I was able to make the same recipe here in Brasil, with the exactly same brand of ramen, but oh my god, the spice that comes with ramen is soooooo hootttt, it was very difficult to eat so i’ll probably try to put less spice next time, but inspite of this, it was actually a really great meal.

10. I was really weirded out by the idea of putting cheese in there, but it made it REALLLYYYY Good! I’d also never put egg in there, but I wanted to try. and I made bulgogi style chicken and threw that in there too. But no veggies because I didn’t have them lol. But really this was so good, I’m glad I listened to the cheese idea.

11. kim shi ramyeon

12. wow you guys put a lot of ingredients in ramen! :D

13. So at first when I cooked a package of Shin ramyun, I put the cheese in too soon. Right now, I'm eating it, with the cheese put on top after I put it all into a gigantic bowl. Oh, my God. It is AMAZING. At first I was sketchy about the idea, but I like to try everything once. Thanks for posting this! My ramyun is even more delicious now! :D You should try shredded cheese on top of fried rice too. My Korean friend told me about this and I looked at her with a "Wtf?" face, but it adds a nice zing. I hope to be going to South Korea this summer, and your videos are really informative and entertaining! Keep at it! Regards from a fellow Canadian :)

14. Welp, I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow