Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

March 13, 2012

Comments

Wow! Fantastic Baby! If you haven’t heard Big Bang’s fantastic song yet, check it out here.

So, for starters, this is definitely the funnest song they’ve released since their comeback. Blue was serious and contemplative; Bad Boy was swag and head-noddy. Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby, on the other hand, is a song that’s really difficult to listen to while sitting down. It’s demands that you get up and act ridiculous, and has a pretty ridiculous video to go with it.

It’s not a perfect song though. We’ve got a tiny issue with it, that I’m sure some of you might actually not find issue with: while “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” is fun to say, it really breaks the song apart a bit. The song builds up fantastically, and reaches a fever pitch with Daesung’s banshee scream, all leading up to the chorus where everyone’s ready to lose their mind…and then the song stops for them to say “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” Some people like it when the music stops like that. I don’t like that feeling. Sorry! The rest of the song is stellar, and TOP’s “Boomshakalaka” is so well edited: the distance and effects or whatever kind of music-magic was made in post-production just make it sound so freaking commanding.

Too bad TOP isn’t as commanding in the video as he is in the song. You can’t tell me we’re the only ones who are thinking this. We make fun of TOP for not dancing in his other videos, like in Tonight, but it seems like TOP is getting more and more disinterested in being in music videos. Or is it the image he’s going for? Supposedly TOP’s interested in pursuing a career in acting: maybe acting lifeless is something he’s interested in? I don’t know. Maybe some of you are into him looking all distant and aloof and disinterested.

Well, even if we don’t like TOP’s acting, we still totally dig this song, and the song before it, and the song before that one as well. The whole album’s pretty damned cool. If you haven’t picked it up on iTunes yet, get it delivered to your house by clicking on the link below. Boom!

Big Bang

Also, we’ve got bloopers as always! Martina’s feather lips were quite difficult to put on, and resulted in some general awkwardness.

Comments

Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Big Bang-Fantastic Baby

2. I didn’t really feel anything weird from TOP .-.
    He is my favorite in BB, but yeah, nope, until you said it, I didn’t feel like he was… bored? I dunno, maybe I was concentrating too much on his dyed eyebrows…

And I vote for TVXQ because … Well, I do prefer them over BB, one of the reason being that they were the ones with whom I first entered the fabulous world of Kpop but mainly because I didn’t get the idea that BB were breaking free from something, escaping or whatever (apart from Daesung’s part, but that’s because he reminded of Jaejoong ^^) whereas I didn’t have to think twice to see that theme in Mirotic ^^

So TVXQ it is!

•  Daesung’s part reminded me of Jaejoong too! And it’s sad how a lot of people did not make that connection, they were like DBSK whaaaa?

•  dude when BB debuts they were called dbsk wannabe, but then they make LIES by theirself and BANG! BIG BANG IS BIG BANG

3. TVXQ with Mirotic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. fantastic babies!, the same happends with my friends, i can`t say anything because  they start to troll me with the “wow!!! fantastic baby” and we just cant help start to dance!!! i love them as much i love you!

5. My little brother and I marathoned Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood last summer and when I watched this video with him we were all, “FATHERRRRRRRR!!!!!!” at the beginning with GD.  And then I felt like a nerd.

6. Ooh, man. Well, Although I liked Fantastic Baby’s concept, I thought it was better done in Mirotic. TVXQ gets my vote.

7. I know TOP is gettin sick of dancing. I mean in Blue, towards the end he kinds stops dancing. But I actually liked his posing in this video. I find it funny that he is so expressionless. It’s like he is too cool to care wats going on around him.

Btw, I vote TVXQ Mirotic bc of Jaejoong being changed to the wall ^_^ fav scene

8. why is there no mention about GD’s catch me on fire :P
    you guys are mean with this weeks battle so I choose both
    and by the way love the review you guys are ….. wow Fantastic baby :P

9. TVXQ’s Mirotic!

10. (i love u db5k but) i vote for my Fantastic Big Bang !

11. I totally love the live version of this song!!
    and yes, I agree, only TOP can put on that clothes and still look good (lol)

I vote for donate some clothes for Taeyang!!!
    Seriously!! He changes real fast. I kinda miss that shy boy (no matter how much i love seeing his abs!!)
    May be YG can get him somethings (lol~)

12. Mirotic is legend…I got youuuuu under my skinnn~~~

13. Well I actually don’t find the whole mama thing a big deal just cause, isn’t ‘mama’ the korean word for ‘your highness’? (‘goong’ anyone?). Well they may not use it that way, but that’s how I like to see it.

I actually really liked TOP in this MV. I thought he was sort of creepy, with the whole big smokey eyes and stuff, but really sexy (sort of like GD in She’s gone). Him not doing much fit with his image in the MV as well.

Have to say that this is my favourite MV out of all 3. It’s sooo addictive. My vote for this weeks showdown is ‘Fantastic Baby’. In Mirotic Changmin is playing with water and Junsu with lights

14. Im the only one in my house that listens to k-pop or even kno wat k-pop is…and i use a lot of these k-pop references 2..especially fantastic baby…and..well…everyone looks at me like im weird lol…2 bad there’s no one around that i can share all the k-pop references/insiders with cuz it would be so much funnier.

15. TVXQ with Mirotic!

16. Sorry but I have to vote for the KINGS, DBSK!!!!!!!! The way Chanming stood up from the water thighy reminded me of Count Dracula rising from that coffin. But I freakin love BB.

And Martina, for the love of God, I try really hard to forget Shinee’s pictures. As much As I love Shinee, this promotion was to much for me. Mr. SM Ent, pls, don’t ..no more pictures.

•  B-but … Onew isn’t even naked in that picture? Why forget it?

17. I vote for Mirotic !
    I’m sorry I’ll make a more relevant comment tomorrow, just want to make sure my vote will be counted, I’m in a hurry tonight.

18. The random quoting of fantastic baby and breakout dancing has been happening at my house too. Though it is mainly the 7 and 4 year old doing the dancing :)

I’m not sure who to choose for the show down. I really like both songs. I’m not sure TVXQ actually break free though. Their eyes are all possessed at the end. It’s like they fought hard, but ultimately failed in escaping, while BB actually won and had a dance party. SO final verdict is Big Bang.

19. Love the hair Martina and Simon very funny shirt. You guys rock!!!!

20. This one is really hard..i luv Big Bang..but I might vote 4 TVXQ on this one

21. This one is really hard..i luv Big Bang..but I might vote 4 TVXQ on this one

22. I totally vote for Mirotic.. I mean.. come on.. LEGENDARY! I got yoooouuuu~

23. I totally vote for Mirotic.. I mean.. come on.. LEGENDARY! I got yoooouuuu~

24. TVXQ!!!! the way they escape is aweeeeesome!!!

25. TVXQ!!!! the way they escape is aweeeeesome!!!

26. Even though I love Big Bang my vote goes for TVXQ, Mirotic is one of my all time favourites. :)

27. I vote Mirotic!
    great video this week btw!

28. TVXQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD i just love the tied up jaejoong XD and changmin in a bathtub was cool too. so yeah tvxq. although tvxq’s breakout is much more of a relative song but i guess its japanese so you cant put it in :(

29. TVXQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD i just love the tied up jaejoong XD and changmin in a bathtub was cool too. so yeah tvxq. although tvxq’s breakout is much more of a relative song but i guess its japanese so you cant put it in :(

30. I thought that BEG would be up against Big Bang but I like this match up too.

31. I thought that BEG would be up against Big Bang but I like this match up too.

32. BIG BANG!!! TO victory!!!

33. BIG BANG!!! TO victory!!!

34. Thumbs up for Big Bang and Fantastic Baby!
    Thanks S & M! WOW..wow and wow!
    Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby is a very much of a unique MV and I’m obsessed with this song and video.
    And of course, the Inkigayo comeback stage was Fantastic, too..I have never been hit so hard by a comeback stage!!! LOL
    Vote for BIG BANG, but to say I really like and respect DBSK!

35. Yes, T.O.P does look a bit timid in the video (but the frame scenes were cool), however if you see the live performances then he has a completely different feel. The energy in the live perf. was really really awesome by all the members.

36. Love Onew’s Sherlock teaser photo in the background ;) and Martina, GD totally copied your hairstyle, are you gonna sue him or what? ^^

37. Love Onew’s Sherlock teaser photo in the background ;) and Martina, GD totally copied your hairstyle, are you gonna sue him or what? ^^

38. I actually didn’t have a problem with TOP in this video.  I thought it worked with the persona he was portraying.  However, I do have a problem with the English during DaeSung’s part of the song.  Even if you split it up, it just doesn’t work for me, especially when with the way it is sung it feels more like one confusing mess of a sentence.  I also didn’t have a problem with the flow of the song.  The pauses for the “Wow! Fantastic, Baby!” made perfect sense to me and flowed just fine given the overall feel and point of the song.

As for voting this week… I love Mirotic, but Fantastic Baby was a better video and honestly, I like the song better.  I feel horrible saying that since Mirotic is responsible for my love of KPop in the first place, but I have to be honest about it.

39. Big Bang – Fantastic Baby, because Changmin and Junsu had really strange jailbreaks.  I mean Max just stood up.  I was a bit disappointed with Yunho’s as well, but I love that song.

40. I vote for DBSK. The video made more sense with the lyrics :)