Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

March 13, 2012

Comments

Wow! Fantastic Baby! If you haven’t heard Big Bang’s fantastic song yet, check it out here.

So, for starters, this is definitely the funnest song they’ve released since their comeback. Blue was serious and contemplative; Bad Boy was swag and head-noddy. Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby, on the other hand, is a song that’s really difficult to listen to while sitting down. It’s demands that you get up and act ridiculous, and has a pretty ridiculous video to go with it.

It’s not a perfect song though. We’ve got a tiny issue with it, that I’m sure some of you might actually not find issue with: while “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” is fun to say, it really breaks the song apart a bit. The song builds up fantastically, and reaches a fever pitch with Daesung’s banshee scream, all leading up to the chorus where everyone’s ready to lose their mind…and then the song stops for them to say “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” Some people like it when the music stops like that. I don’t like that feeling. Sorry! The rest of the song is stellar, and TOP’s “Boomshakalaka” is so well edited: the distance and effects or whatever kind of music-magic was made in post-production just make it sound so freaking commanding.

Too bad TOP isn’t as commanding in the video as he is in the song. You can’t tell me we’re the only ones who are thinking this. We make fun of TOP for not dancing in his other videos, like in Tonight, but it seems like TOP is getting more and more disinterested in being in music videos. Or is it the image he’s going for? Supposedly TOP’s interested in pursuing a career in acting: maybe acting lifeless is something he’s interested in? I don’t know. Maybe some of you are into him looking all distant and aloof and disinterested.

Well, even if we don’t like TOP’s acting, we still totally dig this song, and the song before it, and the song before that one as well. The whole album’s pretty damned cool. If you haven’t picked it up on iTunes yet, get it delivered to your house by clicking on the link below. Boom!

Big Bang

Also, we’ve got bloopers as always! Martina’s feather lips were quite difficult to put on, and resulted in some general awkwardness.

Comments

Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Definitely Big Bang Fantastic Baby…

2. :-/ Martina G-D isn’t wearing feathers on his lips. They are painted to look like his bandana. Hence his ease in singing. That said with that much paint on my lips they would drier than the Sahara Desert!

3. Some people here brought up the reference about Dragonball, but I also noticed that TOP has an anime reference as well. Although he said he got his inspiration from an ice cream, don’t you think he looks like Grimmjow from Bleach? See picture attached.

Martina and Simon, you’re both awesome and I agree with your points most of the time, but I didn’t find anything wrong with TOP. I think his role was meant to be this arrogant yet refine king meant to uphold a cold demeanor/facade, so I didn’t expect him to be all boombastic like his usual self. The concept GD&TOP is quite different from Fantastic Baby, so his seemingly lack of enthusiasm doesn’t necessarily mean disinterest or boredom; his behavior is based on the role he was given in MV. Besides, isn’t he an actor? Contrasting the MV, his live performance is VERY passionate and energetic for this song so for that, I can’t imagine him being disinterested in this new concept BB is flossin’.

Gotta admit though, he is looking mighty fine. This new look he’s sporting is really interesting and what I like the most is that it IS a change and it’s different. TOP constantly surprises and I’ve come to a conclusion that he’s not just your average Korean rapper. He’s so cool and I love him so much!

4. Oh, and of course my jail break vote goes to BIG BANG!

5. Gotta agree with the TOP part though. He is lacking energy with his BOM SHAKALAKA line. LOL!  Of course my vote is for BigBang!

6. I vote Big Bang for the Jail Break as well. They really seem like they were breaking out.

7. I so agree with you Martina about GD’s hair. It’s cool but not so much a permanent thing. I feel the same about TOP, he doesn’t move in this video at all, but I still love it! Yes, Shinee is coming back, but I’m afraid of what they are doing to them…

8. That’s a hard choice you’ve left me with…but I’m going to have to go with DBSK’s jailbreak. <3

9. Ooops forgot, TVXQ jail brake! I love seeing Jaejoong bust those ropes out of the wall (^_^)

10. My vote goes to Big Bang because they’re FANTASTIC BABY~!
    Yeah. You guys are right about that K-pop disease after all. BOOM SHAKA LAKA! <3333

11. Our take on the various roles each of them play actually had us relating each of the members to some sort of dichotomy about things to stand for and be passionate about. GD seems to stand for individuality and uniqueness (maybe you can forgive his hair for that, haha) versus conformity and being bland…we noticed he seems kind of robotic and emotionless in that small part where he’s got bleached extensions and stark white clothes and it looks like his mouth was sewn shut with makeup. He has a lot more life with colors in his hair. Taeyang, with the monks and the animal skull on his throne, has that death versus life and spirituality dichotomy. Daesung is easily being trapped versus being free (his throne has a nautical theme for some reason, so maybe freedom and adventure and exploration all go together). TOP is like a decorated war hero…in classical paintings. We figured war=destruction and art=creation. And finally Seungri, with his kitty harem and spiky leather chair and scratches, we thought could have the dichotomy of pain versus passion and overall just being able to feel something. It’s the best way for us to justify him being covered in benches while the rest of them seem to be suffering.

Uhh, sorry for the TL;DR, but we totally analyzed the crap out of this video when we saw it, so heh…

“Wow. Fantastic Baby.” ._.

12. Vote for TVXQ Mirotic

13. Big Bang’s break free is definitely the on I prefer!! <3

14. Thought I was the only one who thought TOP was standing around and lip synching awkwardly. I love his frame poses but I think Taeyang was more into saying Boomshakalaka. They all danced around like crazy but not TOP…I love his blue hair! BTW I need many people in high school who had G-Dragon’s hair. This was however in the late 90’s, and usually it was a cholo or a goth girl (I have no clue why I worked out that way but it did). I had something similar, minus the shaved head.

15. Didn’t we go over this last time, Simon. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER tell Taeyang to put on clothes. NEVER!!!!!! EVER!!!!

16. Didn’t we go over this last time, Simon. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER tell Taeyang to put on clothes. NEVER!!!!!! EVER!!!!

17. i thought it would be between Big Bang and BEG~ but i vote for OUR KINGS!!! BIG BANG!!! WOW FANTASTIC BABY~!

18. I love BB with all my crown shaped heart but TVXQ and Mirotic definitely win this for me. I mean Changmin’s high note, and the memorable chorus, you can’t go wrong.

As for Big Bang, the only one who actually looked like he had something to break away from was Daesung, in all though each of the scenes have a bit of symbolism to them.

GD and his bandages represent him healing from his incident and the throne and all the people in the gas masks represent VIP’s and how he is still a king to us.

T.O.P’s scene is a bit odd to me but my guess is he has become used to looking and acting a certain way the he feels stuck but then he is on the throne it’s like he is free from the same thing and is going to change.

Taeyang defrosting and then meditating is like him awakening from their hiatus and then in the next scene he has one arm in armor could represent them all being renewed and willing to fight back against anyone who says they can’t.

Seungri i think his scene represents him showing that he isn’t a little boy anymore(have you seen ‘STRONG BABY’?) and that he is going to be more passionate.

Daesung’s scenes are the most symbolic to me. At first he is chained to a wall,representing the accident and everyone accusing him. Next he is seen falling onto a crowd of people in gas masks(VIP’s) waiting to catch him,this represents that even though he thought he was falling from people liking and supporting him, his fans were always ready to catch him. In his last scene, he is shown in a space with cars that had been destroyed but he’s standing in front of them meaning that he has put the scandal behind him and is ready to move forward.

The final scene where the boys are dancing around with the “VIP’s” shows the VIP’s celebrating BIG BANG’s return and BIG BANG celebrating the love and support of the VIP’s.

A bit long i know, but i had to get that out. After reading this, i think that BIG BANG did have a better break away video but visually Mirotic wins.

• Wow your explanation about daesung’s scenes is totally cool. And those symbolism are making sense. Cool.

19. Random but i felt the need to say : Spudgy is the cutest thing in Korea.

Also, voting for TVXQ, because no matter what, they’re still the kings of Kpop. (c’mon, Mirotic, it’s epic, no matter how Fantastic Fantatis Baby is… (although, actually, among those 3 BB mv, this last one is my least favourite actually !). TVXQ… I got yoooouuuuu… UNDER MY SKIN ! Forever. Can’t escape you).

20. Don’t get me wrong…I love T.O.P., but I honestly think that it’s not so much un-enthusiasm (is that a word?) on his part, it’s just that out of all of the group he’s the only one that really can’t dance. G-D, Seungri and Taeyung are all touted as being dancers as well as singer. Daesung isn’t a dancer per say, but he has enough energy and musical rhythem to make up for it.. T.O.P. is the the straight-up rapper and rappers aren’t really well known as dancers. This song does make you just wanna get up and DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE. I vote for it to best best breakout.

21. Anyone else think that G-Dragon’s hair is a nod to Skrillex?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFUJ2BIFFk — interview with BIGBANG in NYC

22. I think the comparisons are too unfair. Mirotic was legen….wait for it…. DARY!!! Fantastic Baby is also on its way to being a legend but of course most people will vote for it right now because it’s brand new and the group still exists as a whole. It’d be more practical to compare it to a song from this year or the last year.

And speaking of Mirotic, I went through ALL of your old videos to see if you ever did a review on them. You had just moved to Korea when it came out…? I only saw it mentioned once =( IF YOU EVER HAVE FREE TIME, especially this summer, then can you review Mirotic??? Pretty pretty please????? ^____^

So yeah, voting for Mirotic!

• They did a mini review on it in one of their Kpop Cocktail segments: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/k-crunch-cocktail-mirotic-paradise-step-bikes/

23. I don’t really like this song but Top’s part got stuck in my mind and i’ll start to dance randomly..i’ll choose DBSK

24. My vote goes to TVXQ’s Mirotic. <3

25. ur wallpaper… I LUV U GUISE SO MUCH XD. BB 4 me, as much as i luv TVXQ

26. As for me I have never found TOP very energetic… so he seems perfectly fine in those 3 last MV! lol! And finally I have to say I looooove GD’hair!!

27. TVXQ with Mirotic all the way!

28. Spudgy!! Y U LOOK SO TIRED?

U IS ALRIGHT?

29. I vote for TVXQ~ :D

But this is by far my favorite song + video from Big Bang’s comeback.

30. My vote’s for Mirotic!

31. your lack of enthusiasm for big bang videos is disheartening.. I know your trying to be fair but your a VIP you know you wanna fan girl about it!!!

32. “derelicte” LMAO. <3

33. TVXQ’s Mirotic is too epic and greatt :D

34. bigbang~~~~

35. bigg bangg!!!

36. Bigbang fantastic baby!

37. I’ll go for Mirotic for that break-free edition though Junsu was sort of funny in that video fighting with laser lights (?).

Anyways, this song is so silly that’s why we’ve been playing it nonstop and dancing along with my roommate! Good review guise! ^__^ v

38. Big Bang!

39. Wow…Big Bang make history in K-Pop Monday as the first group to feature 3 straight weeks in a row!!

40. Yeah, I really love Fantastic Baby. It’s awesome comeback but I still love TVXQ more, so it’d be horrible if I didn’t vote for them, so – I vote for MIROTIC :)