Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

March 13, 2012

Comments

Wow! Fantastic Baby! If you haven’t heard Big Bang’s fantastic song yet, check it out here.

So, for starters, this is definitely the funnest song they’ve released since their comeback. Blue was serious and contemplative; Bad Boy was swag and head-noddy. Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby, on the other hand, is a song that’s really difficult to listen to while sitting down. It’s demands that you get up and act ridiculous, and has a pretty ridiculous video to go with it.

It’s not a perfect song though. We’ve got a tiny issue with it, that I’m sure some of you might actually not find issue with: while “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” is fun to say, it really breaks the song apart a bit. The song builds up fantastically, and reaches a fever pitch with Daesung’s banshee scream, all leading up to the chorus where everyone’s ready to lose their mind…and then the song stops for them to say “Wow! Fantastic Baby!” Some people like it when the music stops like that. I don’t like that feeling. Sorry! The rest of the song is stellar, and TOP’s “Boomshakalaka” is so well edited: the distance and effects or whatever kind of music-magic was made in post-production just make it sound so freaking commanding.

Too bad TOP isn’t as commanding in the video as he is in the song. You can’t tell me we’re the only ones who are thinking this. We make fun of TOP for not dancing in his other videos, like in Tonight, but it seems like TOP is getting more and more disinterested in being in music videos. Or is it the image he’s going for? Supposedly TOP’s interested in pursuing a career in acting: maybe acting lifeless is something he’s interested in? I don’t know. Maybe some of you are into him looking all distant and aloof and disinterested.

Well, even if we don’t like TOP’s acting, we still totally dig this song, and the song before it, and the song before that one as well. The whole album’s pretty damned cool. If you haven’t picked it up on iTunes yet, get it delivered to your house by clicking on the link below. Boom!

Big Bang

Also, we’ve got bloopers as always! Martina’s feather lips were quite difficult to put on, and resulted in some general awkwardness.

Comments

Big Bang – Fantastic Baby: Kpop Music Mondays

1. I just love how Taeyang is like PARTYING HARD at 3.47 of the MV, like ‘YEAH YEAH YEAH” *shaking his head really hard* and T.O.P. is so cool, like, literally cool, he’s the only one who can do that haha OH and Really good and funny video, Martina and Simon^^ Loves you guys!!

2. Mirotic all the way!

3. TVXQ- Mirotic Hands Down  <3Cassiopeia FOREVER! That was a SEXY Jailbreak!

4. TVXQ- Mirotic Hands Down  <3Cassiopeia FOREVER! That was a SEXY Jailbreak!

5. Im voting for Mirotic!
    Great review, I laughed a lot – thank you! <3

6. So cruel!!
    I pick…
    Fan…
    ..no wait…
    …Miro…
    ……waaait!….
    Mirotic >____<

7. Boom shakalaka!!! Here to vote for Bigbang!

8. DSBK fer sure.

9. Ive been playing this song NON STOP WHOOOHOOOO BOOMSHAKALAKA!
    Voting for Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby for the best break out, I mean they don’t just run they reclaim their power.

10. And now I have to add “fantastic baby” every time I say “wow” as well. My entire vocabulary is becoming Kpop-alized. I swear, every single time someone says “hot”… >X [

And I’m voting for DBSK. I think the “jailbreak” concept is pretty equal in both videos, but I honestly liked Mirotic better. I loved Blue and Bad Boy but this song…not so much…

11. Mirotic was the first kpop video I ever saw. Gotta keep the faith.

12. my vote goes to DBSK!

13. bigbang never dance thats just bigbang !! don’t wait for it lol !
    *the MV is the full story of BigBang last year you will not really get if we were not VIP for a long time !
    *all vips will give this is the best bigbang MV ! + bigbang always leave the dance for the live performance

i vote for BIG BANG ^^

14. Mirotic has been my fav song for a long time… my vote must go to DB5k and the most sexy song ever

15. lol i luv how simon goes at the end oohh thats gunna b a tough one

16. boom shaka laka is used in South Africa to mean spicy I believe, I just heard it once somewhere. And I usually agree with everything you say but I think TOP did great in this video, it’s totally him. His whispers are like booms, he doesn’t need to put in effort to make it great, his cold demeanor just made it seem like yeah I don’t even need to get so worked up about breaking free because I was never scared of the enemy to begin with. He just seemed in control. He can start a rebellion without breaking a sweat.

17. at school, my friends and I keep saying “Wow, fantastic baby” to everything :P People think we’re crazy, and then we do the BOOMSHAKALAKA thing and they KNOW we’re crazy. FOR BIGBANG. btw I vote BB ;)

18. where do I leave the requests now? it’s been so long since I requested a video (since last B1A4’s comeback :P) so.. can I request in here? Please review Baby I’m Sorry by B1A4!!! coming in 16 hours yay!! sincerely, a bilasa raptor

• Go to the top of the page and click on Kpop Charts.  Reviewing is done strictly by voting now (that’s why they’ve done Big Bang 3 weeks in a row).  Videos can be added to the chart there as well.

19. TVXQ – Mirotic!

20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_Up2FB_Fk&feature=related
    If ya wanna listen to TOP going “boom shaka laka” for ten minutes, then be my guest :P

• I actually listened to it last week, it’s the first time I was able to listen to this type of video for the whole time without getting bored or annoyed!

21. And this is tough because I like both songs… but… my bias is always Big Bang. Big Bang over TVXQ. >.>; Symbolism wins out.

22. Vote for BIGBANG! Mirotic was a bit meh for me, especially Yunho…

23. I vote for TVXQ in Mirotic.

24. I actually really like GD’s new hair…maybe it’s just me haha
    And the only problem I have with TOP is how he only mouths half of his lyrics…but hey…he’s way sexy so I can forgive him lol

25. The video is one huge symbol. TOP looks disinterested because he was modeling. He modeled during BB’s hiatus, so he was playing the part. Each of them relived 2011 in an abstract way in the video; TOP was reduced to a pretty boy in 2011, so TOP’s constraint reflects models being seemingly unemotional and disinterested; it’s about the “look” with modeling. *Insert TOP’s sexy come-hither look* I personally feel the lack of emotion was fitting, especially since “wow, fantastic baby” sometimes comes across as sarcastic in the song itself.

Symbolism is fantastic, baby.

26. Definitely BIG BANG(: They’re just so Fantastic………baby… -.-

27. OMG!!!!!! Did anyone notice the picture of Onew’s teaser picture for Sherlock on the computer screen.

28. DBSK please :)

29. OH! THATS A HARD ONE!!! D: uh……. oh man! I guess I’m going o go with TVXQ! Sorry BigBang, i love you guys but Yunho was first!

30. FANTASTIC BABY!
    Fantastic Baby calls you to dance. Oh Yeah!
    Mirotic calls you to be their slave. Ang!

31. Seungri is obviously being held against his will by fan girls, cat fan girls :)
    And…MIROTIC for Life!

32. Ahh I’m going to have to go with Mirotic!! I love their idea, but sorry Big Bang, DBSK looked GORGEOUS while breaking free. And I liked Mirotic as a song more (esp the special version with the strings <3 <3 <3)

33. what i found the strangest is how tough-sounding TOP goes all aegyo in this video when he’s in the frames. i mean, what’s with the big puppydog eyes?? they’re *really* cute, i’ll give him that…but they don’t suit this video OR the general vibe i normally get from BigBang or TOP. and he didn’t really look like he wanted to be in this video…at least in the solo scenes.

my favourite part is when taeyang and gdragon kinda do that head-banging bit together. it’s just short, but so fun. i love this video overall. love this song. MAKES ME SO FREAKIN’ HAPPY!!

and now i leave you with a picture of my dog, monster, and his imitation of TOP in this video…

34. FANTASTIC BABY, surely! It has the idea of “breaking free”; “Dancing on my own”; “Nothing gonna stop us”
    Mirotic is a classic k-pop song. But… the theme is “be my slave”, “be my sexual slave”… nearly so…

35. B I G to the BANG!!!

36. awwwwwwww spudgy looks soo sad D=
    i noticed in the mv daesung is surronded my broken down cars
    wich can mean only one thing
    he’s expressing the time where he got into a car acident
    im suprised u didn’t add dat simon and martina =o!

37. I agree with your thoughts on top! He was almost an eye-sore in this music video. But I love Taeyang and don’t agree with your thoughts on this one… For him (I think) the angry/passonate look is pulled off really well with him not wear a shirt. Just saying! Although I have to ask, are all those tatoos real?! It took me 3 or 4 days of watching this mv on reply before I realized he had all those tats, but are they real? I vote for TVXQ! And spudgy is looking pretty sleepy in the last little bit of the vid! So cute!

38. I am a massive TOP fan as well (my TOP edition of Alive arrived yesterday yaaaaay) but ARGH why doesn’t he DO anything lately? I wasn’t joking when I said he’s looking more and more like my grandfather these days. What happened to that fierce power rapper from the days of yore? Haaaaaaa…….

And right on with the acting point there; if he wants to be an actor, he needs to do more than just stand and stare into the camera (although I can understand why….those eyes….*swoons*). I’ve seen all his movies and dramas, and so far the only one in which I’ve found his acting to be good enough for my standards (I’m very picky) was Nineteen. Because, uh, he actually shows emotion in that one. *AHHH DONT KILL ME*

Whenever I need some TOP therapy, I just rewatch the first 20 seconds of Goodbyebaby on repeat. Lol.

• So you think TOP was acting better in Nineteen that in 71 Into The Fire? Surprising standards! ^^

39. hmmm…i vote for Big Bang :)

40. That is a hard challenge Simon but i have to say Big  Bang had the more impassioned escape