Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

April 18, 2011

Comments

Ok, so we started off our video review this week on a bit of a serious/preachy level, but for good reason! This is a really outstanding video. It’s a lot better than Big Bang’s Tonight, if you ask us, even though that was a cool video as well. We like this video a lot more, though, because it seems to go beyond the typical kpop video. Seriously now: there aren’t really any sexual conventions here. Nobody makes sexy faces to the camera, or rubs their lips for no reason, or humps the air or the ground, or rubs themselves, or does anything suggesting that they’re trying to be sexy. Compare that to just about every other Kpop Music Monday we reviewed and you’ll see what we mean, apart from TVXQ’s “Before You Go”. That video doesn’t count, though, because it’s got an interesting story, and still does loads of closeups of TVXQ’s faces. This video, though, has no story, no closeups. Even the camera angles cut off their faces. See what we mean? This video is really different and breaks so many conventions that it’s hard to call it a Kpop video, which is why we’re so impressed by it. Really, really good job.

We’ve read some people saying that this song is a rip off of U2’s “With or Without You.” We gotta admit, when we heard the song U2 was the first thing that came to mind. The song has one of those epic U2 songs feel to it, but that’s about all. It doesn’t seem like you can clearly say that parts of U2’s song were directly lifted and put into this one. It just has a similar sound to it, but that’s about all.

On that note, we’ve been thinking a lot about what Kpop is as a genre lately, and it doesn’t really seem like you can say that Kpop has a genre of music, the way rock is a genre and hip hop is a genre, because every Kpop song seems to take from different genres. On that note, you can really say the same about Big Bang as well. What is their genre, really? What is their sound? They’re clearly distinguishable by their voices, sure, but could you really listen to a beat and say that it has a Big Bang vibe to it? Anyone? Compare this song to Tonight, Baby Goodnight, VVIP, and High High. Aren’t they all toooootally different songs? You can easily say that one group has imitated Big Bang’s image, sure, but what about a Big Bang sound?

Otherwise, does anyone have any good guesses as to what the video’s about? From what we could see in the rubble, there was police tape, burnt cars, a gas station, shopping carts, telephone poles, a sign for a cathedral in Europe, and tires that spit out fire…and then a dropping car. It’d be easy to just dismiss this as weird stuff put together in a cool way, but there’s got to be a better answer for it than that. Anyone?

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for STILL translating our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, Big Bang just released the Special Edition of their latest album, so get yourself a copy by clicking on the image below. Bam!

Big Bang Mini Album Vol. 4

Comments

Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Simon, i’d stan you if you were in Big Bang. And i have to vote for Rain

2. BIG BANG

3. rainnnnnn <3

4. I think I may be the only female not in love with Rain but I will vote for him anyway because he made MBLAQ :) and also I find his ridiculous shirt dance quite halarious!

5. I think Some love affair caused them to somehow be in a huge accident and time is breifly frozen so the members of BigBang can have a sort of out of body experience and lament their fate. They’re really in the car that explodes at the end. At least, that’s how I put it together. In the end though, it’s BigBang, so it really doesn’t matter if it makes sence…

6. itaewon freedom for music monday!!!

7. Rain Rain Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooo!!!!!!!!! And ya u should do a song by ft island!!!! Ok

8. Hey Simon and Martina~!
    I really wish you’d do a K-Pop music mondays for Itaewon Freedom because…well. It’s Itaewon Freedom- can’t say much more hahaha!
    However, I have a feeling that because of f(x)’s comeback, you will not be able to do so. I know a lot of viewers including me and my own friends would like you to at least do a short video, perhaps on the bonus channel, over your feelings about the video. No fancy schmancy video editing or fancy schmancy camera necessary xD

9. Really like both songs, but … RAIN wins this one <3

10. Ren

okay so theres this really funny website that makes fun of famous stars in korea and its really funny… check it out~ supper funnyy! >.<

11. My vote is for big bang love song !!
    hey guys why don’t you do a music show about FT island I really love them <3<3<3

12. without any doubt Rain

13. umm…unless BB can take their shirts off and “roll” their abs for me, then it must absolutely be Rain. And his song was just beautiful…when I wasn’t being distracted by the shirtlessness. >_>

14. Bigbang of course it is Bigbang … who esle ?!

You’re video was really awesome I laughed so much that I end up crying of laugh ! the dream part was awesome.

And yeah! this MV is really great and in w&b it’s really great, quiet and everything, an exellent MV that proves once and again that Bigbang are just better than anyone … with style ^^
    They should try internationnal albums … I wish they could succed

15. Big Bang’s Love song..!

16. idc it has to be rain and bb. YOU CANNOT MAKE ME CHOOSE. YOU CANNOT!

17. Even though I LOVE BB and I’m a VIP but RAIN’S LOVE SONG HANDS DOWN.
    Rain <3 <3 <3

18. As much as I love Big Bang’s Love Song ive got to say RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN. <3 <3

19. BIG BANG LOVE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!….*fangirling explodes!!!!!!

20. acapella Inception music = epic.

21. BigBang’s Love Song! *scream*

22. You guys picked a hard one!! Both songs are good, both songs have a different feel to them. I will have to leave this one to my fellow kimchi watchers and readers.

23. BIGBANG! BIGBANG! BIGBANG! BIGBANG! BIGBANG!

24. MMs

I vote for Big Bang. The music video is so simple and beautiful.

25. I gotta vote for my man, Rain…i mean nothing can beat those abs..LOL, I’m hoping for Itaewon freedom next week too Simon!!!

26. i vote for BIGBANG!!! ^O^

27. Big Bang’s Love Song for sure!
    Big Bang Big Bang!

28. big bang

29. Rain “Love song” for sure.

30. big bang’s love song

31. “Love Song” analysis by icecream4younme (that’s me!)

I think the MV is supposed to symbolize a relationship breakup that was not by choice but by death. The lyrics (translated into English) speak more of an ethereal separation than a regular breakup where the two people are still here. The lover died in an accident and now the speaker is torn between trying to hang on to her or to be able to move on with his life- this is why the lyrics go immediately back and forth between a “yes I can forget you now” or a “no no I’m going to you now” type feel. Also I think they chose to shoot in black and white because that usually represents the past.

First, here are the lyrics that support that the lover is dead:
    1. “I’m scared, this world is meaningless” -This statement just sounds like when people are faced with life/death situations. You know when they’re worried about the “afterlife” and what’s this life that they’re living now? This one is more of a gut feeling on my part.

2. “Take me where you are,A PLACE WITH MOON AND STARS” – She’s in heaven/ in the sky
    3. “We WERE so beautiful, you know” – Past tense “were”; if she’s still alive it would still be “are” but again this could be a translation mishap.
    4. “The warm rays of the sun are from ANOTHER WORLD”- same thing– reference to heaven

5. “Holding a conversation I’ve yet to finish with her” — It’s as if something interrupted them so they couldn’t complete their conversation.. something like an accident! (Sure it could be a conversation he wants to have with her after their breakup but this sounds more unfinished and can’t be finished)

6. “You’re probably hiding BEHIND THE CLOUDS, YOU’RE PROBABLY A STAR” – same reference to heaven

7. “Time, please stop, don’t separate her and I/ Wind, stop blowing, this is my last letter to you” – This is that flip- flop of emotions I mentioned earlier. The speaker is referencing Time as the thing that separated them, there’s no reference to him doing anything bad in the relationship or her either so the only blame is Time…. accident!? The second line referencing Wind would carry his message up to the heavens to her but now he wants to stop.

The MV background set and symbolism –
    Continuing on with the idea that the lover is dead, I think they are set in this wasteland that simultaneously represents 2 things:

1. the place/image of the accident where the lover died

2. an emotional representation of the Speaker’s state of being. All of the directional arrows symbolize the different paths he can take from this disaster but he’s overwhelmed cause no matter which way the arrows point to, he can’t see beyond the disaster and sees absolutely nothing in the distance to help him guide him to one way or the other.

Can he forget her? Does he want even want to move on?
    Everything in the MV is destroyed and represent movement– many of them are means of transportation (tires, cars, shopping car (TOP traveled in one of those in the “Lies” video, remember?) haha ;) but truly, it still has wheels and represents physical movement. But also since they are all destroyed it represents a symbolic destruction of movement — the speaker is stuck with his distraught emotions.The other noticeable thing that is destroyed in the MV are the electricity/phone lines/poles–a means of communication- something that he absolutely cannot have with the lover since she is dead. This is why he can only send messages via #7 Wind.

I personally think that the “love song” he hates is not an actual song but the story of what he’s going through, something that he keeps replaying over and over in his mind. When he says that he ” hate(s) this love song”, the love song is the life situation he’s in (the lover is dead and his emotional battle). It’s such awesome symbolism because relationships always replay in our heads just like songs. The next line is “I’m going to sing it smiling” which means even though he’s going through this tough time he’s going to be strong and move on with his life.

Ending and What the…falling car?
    I find the chorus so interesting– ” I hate this love song, I’m going to sing it smiling/ In order to cure your loneliness/ I’m going to go to you now” So the first two lines I explained above but then the last two lines make it sort of.. Well, it’s just a bit bi-polar, isn’t it?

I get this Romeo & Juliet feel, two lovers torn apart for reasons not their own. He’s ready to move on with his life but then decides that no, he’s going to stay with his lover- either join her in death or only love her until he dies to join her in heaven. The end of the MV is the only time they move completely away from the disaster zone and it finally looks like he’s decided to move on with his life, that he’s chosen one direction.But then BAMM! A car falls out of the sky.

With so many references to the lover being in the sky/heaven, I think the car falling in the path when they were finally moving is trying to tell us that she died in a car accident. It literally came from the sky- that’s where we know she is. It also shows that he’s chosen to “go to you now” and there she is in the car accident. (Obviously we don’t see anyone in the car but the image of it) Also that no matter which way he goes the “love song” just comes out of no where and lands in his path-the accident just keeps coming up and playing over and over.

I also think they left it like this because it might continue on to their next music video. I recently JUST saw the official MV to “Don’t Go Home” on youtube since it was banned to be aired on TV. But the end of this video is where “Baby Goodnight” begins. The car falling from the sky just seems to abrupt/random to stop there.

That’s all- I’m super sick right now, a horrid cold virus but please let me know what your thoughts are. I was going to mention the mirror image that Simon and Martina caught around 3:00 into the video but personally, i think it’s just a stylistic choice since the camera spans generally to the left throughout the video. i read that they used those cameras used on wires like how the NFL uses to televise live sports games. so they probably circled around them and flipped the image. to also make it look like they are continually moving left.. kinda just walking for miles and miles instead of in circles on a set.

32. Rain’s Love Song is the best, no doubt

33. spudgy is super cute in this video

34. spudy is super cute in this video

35. Eve

Bigbang!!! Plus the video is Art. Truely beautiful. Genre discussion – wondering about that also. “Pop” certainly doesn’t cover all that is “Kpop”. Love the diversity. Bigbang is the prime example. Thanks for bringing this up!

36. BB FTW!! well this was a like one of the best music monday ever!! :P Simon, since now you will allways be my favorite BigBang’s double, Oh yeah!!

37. can Big Bang and Rain count cause i cant make up my mind hahahaha

38. This is just funny. Good luck trying to get anyone to take you seriously, BTB.

39. BIGBANG BIGBANG BIGBANG BIGBANG 10000000000000000000000000000000000000X of BIGBANG for sure!

40. Big Bang for sure.

And you MUST review Itaewon Freedom next week!