Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

April 18, 2011

Comments

Ok, so we started off our video review this week on a bit of a serious/preachy level, but for good reason! This is a really outstanding video. It’s a lot better than Big Bang’s Tonight, if you ask us, even though that was a cool video as well. We like this video a lot more, though, because it seems to go beyond the typical kpop video. Seriously now: there aren’t really any sexual conventions here. Nobody makes sexy faces to the camera, or rubs their lips for no reason, or humps the air or the ground, or rubs themselves, or does anything suggesting that they’re trying to be sexy. Compare that to just about every other Kpop Music Monday we reviewed and you’ll see what we mean, apart from TVXQ’s “Before You Go”. That video doesn’t count, though, because it’s got an interesting story, and still does loads of closeups of TVXQ’s faces. This video, though, has no story, no closeups. Even the camera angles cut off their faces. See what we mean? This video is really different and breaks so many conventions that it’s hard to call it a Kpop video, which is why we’re so impressed by it. Really, really good job.

We’ve read some people saying that this song is a rip off of U2’s “With or Without You.” We gotta admit, when we heard the song U2 was the first thing that came to mind. The song has one of those epic U2 songs feel to it, but that’s about all. It doesn’t seem like you can clearly say that parts of U2’s song were directly lifted and put into this one. It just has a similar sound to it, but that’s about all.

On that note, we’ve been thinking a lot about what Kpop is as a genre lately, and it doesn’t really seem like you can say that Kpop has a genre of music, the way rock is a genre and hip hop is a genre, because every Kpop song seems to take from different genres. On that note, you can really say the same about Big Bang as well. What is their genre, really? What is their sound? They’re clearly distinguishable by their voices, sure, but could you really listen to a beat and say that it has a Big Bang vibe to it? Anyone? Compare this song to Tonight, Baby Goodnight, VVIP, and High High. Aren’t they all toooootally different songs? You can easily say that one group has imitated Big Bang’s image, sure, but what about a Big Bang sound?

Otherwise, does anyone have any good guesses as to what the video’s about? From what we could see in the rubble, there was police tape, burnt cars, a gas station, shopping carts, telephone poles, a sign for a cathedral in Europe, and tires that spit out fire…and then a dropping car. It’d be easy to just dismiss this as weird stuff put together in a cool way, but there’s got to be a better answer for it than that. Anyone?

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for STILL translating our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, Big Bang just released the Special Edition of their latest album, so get yourself a copy by clicking on the image below. Bam!

Big Bang Mini Album Vol. 4

Comments

Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

1. obviously BIG BANG!!!!!!

I still can’t accept man-bra, or shirt-bra, or whatever it is.

2. what caution rape?

3. HAHA good times~~love the imitations and fangirl explosions. It would SO happen. XD

My vote goes to Rain. I mean come on…he bared abs, arms, and had raunchy thrusting! XD and those outifts…were amusing. lol

4. Eva

sorry, but i have to point out the fact that simon has manboobs! :s

5. The song is about how much it hurts to hear the love song that was written to a love who died so maybe it was an accident and that was the scene? Just guessing ><
    Btw Simon, you counted "I" twice so technically your maths was a 5 out of 5 the first time round :D

6. im guessing its the scene of the accident where the girlfriend died and thats why they hate this love song because now shes gone. and the car the falls at the end, is her car. thats what i think!

7. The first step to understanding the music video is understanding the lyrics. They’re not singing about a girl who broke up with them, they’re singing about a girl who left them by dying
    You notice that although they’re in a barren landscape, there’s a bunch of road symbols, caution rape, street signs, construction boards, etc. I think the story starts at Big Bang is visiting their past, and is so completely absorbed in it they he doesn’t notice anything else. That’s why everything else is just blank space. and for the colorless mv, i think it’s because without her, his world is just black and white. and for the dance, it’s about life that spontanious. and their dance is not syncron. that like people’s mind that diffrent from each other. and for the car that drops to the ground, as like something that unexpected but expected( g dragon is turn around). YG never had a cliche mv. there’s must be sumthing in it

8. I can’t help but to think of something post-apocalyptic whenever I see the set. Maybe it’s time for me to stop watching 2012.

9. i totally voted for Itaewon Freedom…i say do it anyway and pretend that everyone voted for it. or make a poll where thats the only option… XD

ps. martina, what would you do if TOP actually contacted you?

10. the video I love this week! and dies a TOP that if you learned the choreography!
    Lisen! http://youtu.be/GAaSVJkPVQw

11. Does anyone else have to rewind the first 5 seconds of Simon’s screen time because they were busy reading his T-shirt?

• It’s one of my favorite shirts :D We post a link to it in the sidebar if you want to buy it, by the way. It’s only five bucks now I’m pretty sure :D

12. by the way, i vote for big bang. i mean, i really love rain and thats because rain made me loves kpop!! but then, i think love song just too over exposed.

13. I am totally voting for BigBang!!!!!

You guys are AWESOME! Totally love all your videos ;D

14. I vote for BIGBANG!!!!
    BIGBANG fighting!!!
    Rain is handsome
    but BIGBANG is AWESOME!!!!

15. Bigbang!!!! YAY!!!!

16. I vote for Rain! Because, while I appreciate that Big Bang is trying to break the K-pop mold (and doing a pretty good job of it), I have no qualms about owning up to the fact that I really very much enjoy exposed abs, biceps, lip-touching, raunchy thrusting, and etc. in my K-pop vids. :D

Also, YES ITAEWON FREEDOM PLEASE I have been voting for it every week since it came out, lol.

17. It was a kind of shock when I saw the Love song MV for the first time…because I’m from Czech Republic and as I saw the “Kostel p.Marie” sign I was just like: “Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!! Czech words in a Big bang MV?!!!” :D I can’t understand it till now…:D But I’m kind of excited..

18. Nicely done; you always have a fun take on everything. I loved the Big Bang video, and most of the people I talked to think it was done in one shot, but now I’m not so sure. I’ll have to go watch it again. I’ve only watched it once, but I think it is probably one of the most beautiful MVs I’ve seen. As for which love song is better. . . . . .I DON’T KNOW! I think I’ll have to watch both again and vote then.

19. I personally think RAIN is freakin HOTT !! But I gotta vote for Big Bang’s LOVE SONG. I dont totally get the concept of the video but in Rain’s it feels a lil like its dragging compared to Big Bang’s. BTW Martina: T.O.P is MIIIIIIIIIINE !! So back up off my man !! hehe j/k

20. police caution TAPE ?? :OP

21. This was kind of uncomfortable….but it was good and cool

22. I honestly really want you guys to do Itaewon Freedom cause I know it would be hilarious! You guys are actually the ones who introduced me to that song.

23. Big Bang started out as dominant ‘hip-hop’ group. But now, they’ve pretty much gone through all kinds of genres (maybe except heavy metal and country). I just can’t wait to hear more Big Bang! :D

24. definitely Big Bang’s Love Song

25. Big Bang ALL THE WAY :D

26. Simon sez about the video – “..it doesn’t use any of those ‘Look at me I’m sexy’ easy cliches”

…are you kidding? In the opening sequence TOP’s swagger-laced meander towards the camera is totally a sex-slither ~ ~ ~ He even does it backwards, he’s so PRO.

LOL !! (joking, joking) Yes, I agree…the vid is way more visually sophisticated than typical Kpop-age. I only wish I liked the song more. My favorite of the new releases is Daesungs’s solo, which undoubtledly will NOT get a video. DaeDae appears to be BigBang’s red-headed stepchild when it comes to promotion. sigh.

Thanks for another GREAT vid ! and Happy (early) Easter.
    (__/)
    (^_^)
    (“)♥(“)

27. Rain’s love song all the wayyyyyy!!!! RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN :)

28. My vote: Rain’s Love Song

29. my name is not in the credits =PPPPP not cool hahaha
    on the flip side, BIGBANG ALL THE WAY. as much as i love changmin from 2pm, bigbang will always be #1 in my heart (unless shinee is involved)
    btws i rly liked the music video too <3

30. Big Bang “love song” wins. It’s more rythmic and I like lirycs more. ;)

31. Rain’s Love Song because it’s just a better song imo. /kanyeshrug

32. So i just had to make a gif of Martina’s Happy Big Bang Celebration Disco Party Yaaaa dance
    it will be forever relevant with other topics of joy and giddy

33. I loved this review! My favourite part was the Inception one. Also props for using the Ayy Girl dance wherever it may fit. And I voted for Itaewon Freedom, oh o-oh.

34. Loved your video — my vote Love Song by Rain

35. BIGBANG they don’t need to rip their shirts or try to be sexy or try sexy moves to be sexy…TOP is always clothe and he’s the sexiest man alive (i’m sure Martina feels the same)

36. My vote: Rain’s Love Song

37. Rain’s Love Song!!!

38. Rain’s Love song. Because I think that the video explaim more a love story that big bang Love song.

39. Rain’s Love song
    cause it’s touch heart and reach to deeply feeling (:

40. RAIN 비 of course ;D