Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

April 18, 2011

Comments

Ok, so we started off our video review this week on a bit of a serious/preachy level, but for good reason! This is a really outstanding video. It’s a lot better than Big Bang’s Tonight, if you ask us, even though that was a cool video as well. We like this video a lot more, though, because it seems to go beyond the typical kpop video. Seriously now: there aren’t really any sexual conventions here. Nobody makes sexy faces to the camera, or rubs their lips for no reason, or humps the air or the ground, or rubs themselves, or does anything suggesting that they’re trying to be sexy. Compare that to just about every other Kpop Music Monday we reviewed and you’ll see what we mean, apart from TVXQ’s “Before You Go”. That video doesn’t count, though, because it’s got an interesting story, and still does loads of closeups of TVXQ’s faces. This video, though, has no story, no closeups. Even the camera angles cut off their faces. See what we mean? This video is really different and breaks so many conventions that it’s hard to call it a Kpop video, which is why we’re so impressed by it. Really, really good job.

We’ve read some people saying that this song is a rip off of U2’s “With or Without You.” We gotta admit, when we heard the song U2 was the first thing that came to mind. The song has one of those epic U2 songs feel to it, but that’s about all. It doesn’t seem like you can clearly say that parts of U2’s song were directly lifted and put into this one. It just has a similar sound to it, but that’s about all.

On that note, we’ve been thinking a lot about what Kpop is as a genre lately, and it doesn’t really seem like you can say that Kpop has a genre of music, the way rock is a genre and hip hop is a genre, because every Kpop song seems to take from different genres. On that note, you can really say the same about Big Bang as well. What is their genre, really? What is their sound? They’re clearly distinguishable by their voices, sure, but could you really listen to a beat and say that it has a Big Bang vibe to it? Anyone? Compare this song to Tonight, Baby Goodnight, VVIP, and High High. Aren’t they all toooootally different songs? You can easily say that one group has imitated Big Bang’s image, sure, but what about a Big Bang sound?

Otherwise, does anyone have any good guesses as to what the video’s about? From what we could see in the rubble, there was police tape, burnt cars, a gas station, shopping carts, telephone poles, a sign for a cathedral in Europe, and tires that spit out fire…and then a dropping car. It’d be easy to just dismiss this as weird stuff put together in a cool way, but there’s got to be a better answer for it than that. Anyone?

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for STILL translating our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, Big Bang just released the Special Edition of their latest album, so get yourself a copy by clicking on the image below. Bam!

Big Bang Mini Album Vol. 4

Comments

Big Bang – Love Song: Kpop Music Mondays

1. OMG IM ON TOP!!! I FEEL SPECIAL! :D

2. ummm I think that all the explosions and random stuff is just a reflection of wht they feel inside? As their walking the place seems to have even more explosions, and things burning. There is even a car that drops at the end of the video and explodes. I guess it represents their relationships. destroyed ruins that are on fire. And the car in the ens represents the end and total destruction of their relationship? and the Prauge sign……their girlfriends were from Prague? lol Im not toally sure, just my interpretation.

3. Man… it’s just a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream… Is this a dream?

When I first heard Love Song I was immediately addicted to the guitar, but it didn’t remind me of U2. But after listening to it again, I can so see the similarities!

About K-pop being a genre I completely agree. I used to just label my songs as K-pop on my itunes, but recently I’ve started to label them as the genres they really are (pop, dance, r&b, electronic, etc) because it’s not all ‘pop’

Anyway, thanks for doing this song! Keep up with the awesomesauce work!

BTW BIGBANG’s Love Song FTW! Smexy G-Dragonness makes everything better xD

4. BIGBANG’s Love Song… video was wayyy better than Rain’s and the song as well.. i love BIGBANG’s post-apocalyptic theme than Rain’s abs dance with ripped shirt, etc.

5. Big bang all the way. Their video is spool beautiful. Almost like looking at a moving painting. I love it. And the song is sooo sad.

6. RAIN! cuz its not repetitive and i can see smexxii dancinnn XDD

7. Awsome! :D How can you be like this every week? Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    As for who i vote.. My favourite Love Song is Big Bang. Although Rain`s song is good and sexy and cool.. and romantic, still I like Big Bang bettter. I found it more catchy and somehow different from what I`ve seen so far.

8. I voted for BB on FB before i even saw Rain’s video. I finally watched Rain’s video and while his abs are something special, BB love song is awesomer! I thought the music video visually displayed the emotions felt when you lose someone you love. Everything feels jumbled together and falling apart. it captured the loneliness so beautifully. I just had to watch it a few more times :) Top’s singing at the beginning gives me chills every time…I could go on ;) Thanks for giving me an excuse to watch the video a few more times :)

9. Lol. I died laughing with Simon’s impressions. Fo shizzle lol. And if Simon was in Big Bang than Tabi could feel better about his dancing lol. Simon should’ve been a math teacher lol. Yay for Miyoun winning lol. As for this week’s ugh I can’t choose! Why must you do this to me? I must go with Bi’s just because he has some more sexiness in the video. I so love my BB boys but ugh Bi was my first Kpop male love so I gotta show some love for him. Oh and who is that on Martina’s wallpaper on her computer? I can’t tell. :(

10. Why don’t you guys do a special review for Itaewon Freedom? (with all your spare time, you know, that you have lying around *sarcasm intended*) I don’t think enough people would vote for it, but it would be such a video! I mean…. I’d watch it…. a couple times.

11. rain !!!!!

12. I like Big Beng’s love song more :] And you guys are awesome! ^^

13. Bi Rain <3

14. I vote for Spudgy!!!! and simon’s shirts!!! SHAZAM

15. I vote for Bigbang. :> They’re just so adorable and cute. :3 Especially TOP. :”””>

• TROLOLOL. :))) =))) Do forgive me. I was experimenting. :))) =))))))))) =)))))
      Still I vote for BIG BANG~! :)

16. After a lot of hesitation and thinking I vote for Rain…I really really love Big bang but Rain is my biggest love ^^

17. Big Bang<3

18. I was kind of distracted by G Dragons pants throughout most of the video. everyone else is wearing more formfitting pants whereas his are flapping around and making his legs look twice as big. His whole outfit makes me think of 90’s fashion. Oh and what was up with the gauzey stuff that Seungri was wearing? It looks like it just got caught in his pants and he didn’t notice.
    Everyone else looked really good

19. Big Bang, definitely. splody car >>>>>>> creepy overly sexy dancing.

20. Hey! Why don’t you guys make videos about old kpop videos? Like, revisit the insanely famous ones that released few years back? It will be really fun to see your points of view! :)

21. Not the best idea to eat a croissant and drink coffee while watching this…. My Mac almost suffered….

BIG BANG is in Prague??? Where??? *rushes out the door to find them* … *returns a few hours later disappointed*

My first thought on the video… a group of Korean guys in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a lot of destroyed cars, with police tape that is written in English and a random sign written in Czech…. I even rechecked whether I saw Czech in the video, just to make sure my eyes didn’t fail me.

Together with the lyrics of the song and the video, I assume their signing about a love that most likely died in a car crash…. lots of destroyed cars, with one dropping out of the sky and a sign that indicates a church.

As for the favourite love song, mine’s definitely Big Bang’s Love song.

22. I vote for Love Song by Big Bang. I really like this song! Like a lot!! And I’m not even a BigBang fan (sorry Martina!).

23. LOVED the review, you guys are amazing ^^ As for my vote, it goes to TOP.. err I mean Big Bang :D

24. It’s just like gorillaz and how you can’t put them in a certain genre. Actually, gorillaz is more different in every direction than big bang,
    And what about flight of the conchords? They make parody songs off of all sorts of genres, and if were talking about FOTC, then ill have to mention weird Al too. And I’m sure there’s many more bands like that out there, and. Their all amazing.

25. I don’t like the song or the video as a Kpop genre, but I really like it as a pop genre.
    I vote for BigBang :)

26. Why does it seem like GD is the only one that cares that there is a car falling from the sky? Seriously, did any of the other Big Bang members look at the car?

27. RAIN!! omg Rain

28. For the song I’d have to say Big Bang’s but for the MV it’s Rain’s. :DD

Totally loved this week’s Music Mondays, it sure brightened up my Monday~!

(Hey, what’s that? *looks at ad above comment* It’s BIG BANG!! *spazz*)

29. First of all: WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! My name is on the list!!! Yay!!!

Second: Ahhhh!! I can’t choose between them! I like both songs. I love Big Bang, they had an amazing video but look at Rain’s hot body, I mean amazing dance, I mean… you know what I mean!! It’s impossibe to choose!

30. you cant put rain against anyone lol rain all the way