Brown Eyed Girls Sixth Sense – Kpop Music Mondays

October 4, 2011

Comments

FINALLY! Brown Eyed Girls have returned after a painfully long hiatus with Sixth Sense. If you haven’t checked out the video, here it is:

Wow. There was so much that we wanted to say about this song and video that we just didn’t have the time for. See, you saw some of my fanboying in our video, but we didn’t explain it all too well. I was the last between the two of us to be converted to Kpop. I stubbornly resisted it for as long as possible, would use it for classes when necessary (we still think that using Kpop is a great way for teachers to relate to their students), but I wouldn’t actually like it. Brown Eyed Girls’ “Abracadabra” changed that. It was an awesome song, and awesome video, and that’s what finally brought me over to the dark side. Couple that with Ga-In’s awesome “Irreversible” which we sadly didn’t get a chance to review, and you’ve got a fanboy in the making.

So yeah, I was happy for this video to come out, as was Martina. We’re both Brown Eyed Girls fans. When we first heard the song though, we were a bit disappointed that it didn’t rock our socks off like Abracadabra. It did grow on us, big time, though. Viewed in the Abracadabra light, it might be disappointing, but on it’s own, without any other context, it’s a pretty rocking song and video. Did anyone else think it sounded like Peter Fox’s “Alles Neu”? Tell me it doesn’t have a similar booming orchestra sound to it:

We also mentioned how this video seems to have been inspired by Trent Reznor’s “Art is Resistance” movement. If you check out the site and the stencils, you’ll see that the logo is similar to the one used in the posters here, as well as the same “You Have a Voice”.

Art is Resistance Brown Eyed Girls Sixth Sense

It does kinda look like Brown Eyed Girls were inspired by Trent Reznor's "Art is Resistance" movement, no?

Stuff like this makes us happy for Kpop videos. Sixth Sense isn’t easily dismissed as superficial fluff. It’s not a masterpiece that people will be studying for millennia, but it has a lot more thought put into it, than, say, Bilasa’s “Beautiful Target”, which doesn’t go much deeper than “OMG look at us we’re cute boyz!”

[incoming Martina rant]

Now the only problem we have with the message of “use your voice” and “rebellion” and “freedom of speech” is that BEG is still underneath a President who runs their label, and while they’re not under the 2 big labels in Korea (YG and SM) they are still not their own free band to act and say what they please. So is this video deeply, deeply ironic, in the sense that we’re praising BEG’s unique voice and call to freedom when this very video is being run by a secret man or women in a gold mask? How much influence do Brown Eyed Girls’ management have in their song and message?

Well regardless of the puppetry behind this video, at least it has a stronger message (or at least a message at all) in comparison to other kpop videos. Which is the other difficult position to deal with. We’ve taken a lot of flack from people who live in Korea and HATE kpop. They feel like they can only support everything which is Indie, and any support of a mainstream band is some kind of devil worship. We firmly disagree with this perspective and the snobby attitude towards kpop and anything mainstream. We, too, listen to many crazy Indie bands that are loved by a small groups of elite fans (do we announce that fact as if it’s some proud badge to be worn? No) but we also really love and respect kpop.

How can we come to grips with these two extreme positions regarding music and culture? To us, it’s the talent and passion of the members of the band that matter. Not everyone in the world can play an instrument, or sing, or dance, or write music. If you grow up playing the guitar and you form a rock band in your garage and fail for 10 years and make it in the 11th, we’re happy for you, but does that mean a kpop idol who trained to sing and dance for 10 years is any different? Yes, they have a label supporting them with money to get their names out there, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that kpop idols ARE talented. Opera singers don’t write their own music and are usually discovered only after appearing in many musicals backed by companies, but does that mean they’re not talented because they weren’t found singing Opera in a tiny university bar? Absolutely not. The same goes for many talented singers throughout the decades (even Elvis Presley).

I listen to bands that don't even exist yet

You saw Simon wear this shirt before. Ironic much?

The point of this long rant is that even though we can acknowledge that BEG and other kpop groups have big wig companies backing them, I’m tired of people immediately writing off kpop (and pop in general) because of that fact. I think the deepest irony in this whole situation is the very musician wants to be in the position of popularity that kpop bands have, but once they reach it (by their own means or via a record label) many fans will desert them, saying that they “sold out”. What you want to say is, “I’m jealous my special band no one knew is now know by many people. I’m sad they’re making money and supporting themselves.” So what do you guys think? Have you come across these kinds of people before, or do you hold a similar or differing opinion? I’d love to know!

[rant end…Martina gasps for air…]

Anyhow, since we do honestly dig this song and video, we decided to do another giveaway to show our support. Woot! We’re bought two copies of the new Brown Eyed Girls album. For our lovely YouTube subscribers (YOU GUISE ARE AWESOME!) all you gotta do is tell us what was your favourite part of the Sixth Sense music video. Oh, and since we love our blog readers as well, you can answer here, too :D. Just leave your YouTube username so that, in case we do pick you, we can make sure you’re a subscriber, of course!

Brown Eyed Girls Sixth Sense Album

Pick up the Brown Eyed Girls Album

If you don’t win the album, you definitely should still pick it up, because it rocks. Click on the picture to the right to get your copy. Get two copies. Get seven. And, as for the bloopers, you can see Spudgy’s terrible running skills when he encounters Simon’s raunchy kitty, as well as some terrible Snape impersonations. Poor Spudgy! His legs, as some of you may know, are pretty gimpy, so whenever he runs he moves faster than his legs can carry him, so he often falls over. What a dumb but sweet dog! Also, Martina’s a fan of the Tea Party. Not the American political movement thingy Tea Party, though. The dude with the pedophile moustache Tea Party. Yeah!

Comments

Brown Eyed Girls Sixth Sense – Kpop Music Mondays

1. Aww man… I voted for a review on the “rollin’ on ma sexy window” trio… JYJ! But I guess this is also good enough for me!

2. I think a lot of it is that people don’t want to seem like they are trying. They want to feel organically tied to whichever music, fashion, and tastes they like. I feel like living in a commercial culture, where every part of our lives is designed to get us to buy this or that you want to feel like you have free will, and you want to feel like there is something more to you than a consumer. When a band, or a scene makes it big suddenly you realize there are a bunch of people that like them, and you realize this intimate bond you have is being exploited by corporate interests to make money off of you, and it makes it feel really artificial. It feels shitty when you realize you have become a demographic and suddenly the things you were ‘organically’ tied to are the parameters for a new market. What makes it worse is when you realize that unwittingly you have become part of this thing, you are part of a scene without ever having made the conscious decision to join it, and so rather than admit that you have been subliminally drawn to whatever it is, you instead lash out at others because they must be the un-natural ones, they are the ones being manipulated, you are the one who liked it before it was cool.

That is how I feel anyway. I try really hard not to fall into the ‘I liked it before it was cool’ trap because I have come to realize that  it doesn’t really matter who liked it first or why they like it, because even in your own tastes there is a lot more at work than just personal feelings. Worrying about that will just make you bitter and jaded, and if you are going to be part of the system you might as well use your power as a consumer to your advantage to support the stuff you like.

3. Oh yeah .. I vote for BEG .. honestly dont know how that slipped my mind

4. 2NE1 !

5. I vote for 2NE1!!

6. youtube ID- jdawg3771556
    ^i know my SN is really lame but i’ve had it since 4th grade when the word dawg wasn’t gay
    my favorite part of the video was probably gain’s attitude throughout the entire thing. her facial expressions actually surprised me because of the fact that she could act tough without an ugly scowl *cough 2ne1 (all fo them) cough* they made something other than a superficial rebellion video where they go around with crazy hair and break stuff which also fit their image and got a message across. I LOVE BEG <3 they're seriously one of the most respectable kpop girl groups out there and deserve even more recognition than they already have.

there was a million other things i was planning on choosing but i decided on that one -__-
    i totally agree with you on the rant. on one side i wish they people in korea could get famous without having to know someone or be under somebody but lets be honest, even in america that not as true as we all hope it'd be. talentless people in the industry got into it because they know somebody or are under somebody. they don't focus on quality at all, they just make what they think the people want to see (i'm talking to you justin bieber and every other wannabe badass rapper on the radio whom i'm sick of hearing against my will at work) people are even famous for being horrible (rebecca black) it not an anomaly for someone to know you for something stupid you did rather than who you are as an artist (chris brown) but they do somehow get popular.
    now on the other spectrum of things i can totally see what you're getting at the the t-shirt thing. i know someone that listens to that underground stuff and she takes so much pride in it that if they get popular she'll just say "i liked them before they were popular. now they suck" and she'd just throw them away completely.
    as you can tell i don't really like american music so i feel like i'm getting off topic. i'll end it here.

PS. do they play american TV shows in korea? like is there an ABC, FOX, and CBS TV station? if there is, DID U SEE THE SEASON 8 PREMIER OF HOUSE MD!?!? i died. kbai :)

7. As for Martina’s rant:
    I have come across such people not only in the field of music, but also when it comes to literature. There are people who think it is “cool” to look down upon what others are listening to. My guess is that they like to feel exclusive. I know a guy who calls Beethoven “overhyped shit” while sneering at Metallica, Maiden, Priest and the other bands. He keels telling us that we don’t know what “real music” is all about.
    I can understand not liking a genre,(I have a friend who listens only to classical music) but disliking a band just because 20 million people out there like it??

Simon, you look more like a Fine Arts Gradate than Snape. Not even Spudgy would be scared of you.

8. My favorite part of the video would be the ending. The whole video builds up to a point where you cheer for the girls as they finally overthrow the oppressive regime, only to find out that it was all wishful thinking, as the entire force descends upon them with their batons drawn. This is what the real world is; you yearn for freedom but everywhere you are bound by rules and more rules, many of which were conceived during the Stone Ages but havent been changed because of “tradition” or some other explanation.
    (Youtube ID is TheRPGJunkie)

9. Hi Martina, your long rant is so true. I encounter that kind of people before in internet :)

In BEG MV, my favorite part is when GaIn sing, “Better than the love motion.” She looks so badass, so cool there. When I watched that part, I felt that there’s an arrow shot to my heart & I got love struck. I immediately had girl crushed towards her. The way she sing that line combined with her attitude when she said it are so perfect. I’m better stop here since I’m afraid of giving goosebumps to every one who read my comment =P

Anyway, joking aside, I really like that parts (both at first chorus & the last chorus). The way she sings, the expression, & the head movement are perfect. I immediately think that she is so cool.

My youtube account is cherrykotori.
    I found your youtube account just few days ago & I immediately watched your Kpop Music Monday series + Kpop Crunch in marathon. Those were so funny. My favorite is FT Island Hello Hello. I couldn’t stop laughing at those “how to save people from burning building” step until I had stomach ache =D
    After I watched those Kpop Music Monday, I seriously call B1A4 =Bilasa, B2ST = Batoost. To be honest, I never know that F.Cuz = Focus until I watched your video. I still found the abbreviation unbelievable.

I can’t wait for next episode. You are great. I’m sorry for long essay.

Fyi, http://www.allkpop.com/2011/10/lyricist-kim-eana-explains-the-symbolism-behind-brown-eyed-girls-sixth-sense-mv

10. 2NE1 is the best ^^

11. THERE IS SO MUCH I WANT TO SAY.

I was the same when I first heard Six Sense; I didn’t like it, but it grew on me. The same for one of my friends, it’s that kind of song. Pretty much, I agree on everything you guys said really …

AND OMG. YOU MADE ME ANSWER SUCH A HARD QUESTION. I literally had 0 words left on the word limit on YouTube. xD And I didn’t even say everything I wanted to. Either way, as much as I wanted for you to do JYJ’s Get Out, I did want you guys to review this video, as well as A-cha, so I wasn’t too bothered. This MV is by far one of the most powerful one I’ve ever seen. I did thoroughly enjoy it, especially once I understood it all.

12. That’s true if you expected somethings techno and catchy like Abracadabra, Sixth Sense will not satisfy you. But after listened to it several time it really grew on me so quickly….the power and message of Sixth Sense come out really really strong .The string orchestra music are simply breathe taking, Personally really like the bridging part as Miryo rapping with the sound of percussion and strings keep on coming up and up!!

This MV is not like those typical” K-Pop dancing and singing with cutie post” …but probably it have so much to show that have to give up some scenes of dance move!
    I’ve read some interview of BEG and the girls did mention they have input quite a lot for this song…I sincerely hope that BEG can make more awesome music as they are an mature music group with their own vision!

Finally a Million thanks for Simon & Martina reviews on Sixth Sense, you guys really make my day!!

13. Hi! How are you? I love the end. Really love the end.  I like the video as a whole: art, make up, photography. Reminds me “Pretender” of Foo Fighters + The Great Dictator of Chaplin + some Beyonce’s inspiration too jaja. I repeat, I like the video! Byeee
    Ahh I’m lolenenalinda =)

14. Tbh, I wouldn’t necessarily assume that there’s more thought put into Sixth Sense than Beautiful Target.
    Making a (somewhat) coherent “cute” video without being over-the-top / annoying is probably as difficult as making some artsy-fartsy stuff like this.

I do love the song though, and was pretty amazed that they can pull it off live as well.

15.   My favorite part is when Ga-in breaks it down in the very beginning with that nay-stay ‘touch mai
    bod-ay’ maneuver. (My friends and I now call it the “keys, keys, keys” dance.) I think that became a instant favorite  for me because I find myself breaking out in this song/dance combo and saying, “beach, beach” and the first time I watched the MV and saw that specific part all I could think about was Simon’s take on it would be.

I was not disappointed Simon :)
    Username: jinglesthejiggler

16. 2NE1!! Love, Love, Love Martina’s eye makeup, especially in this video! Unique and creative. Must have wonderful inspiration.

17. I have two favorite parts. The
    first part is the beginning from 0:39-0:45. The beginning
    of the song is so powerful and intense, and with the images of the riot police
    marching and the dictator in the mask clenching his hand in the chair really
    gives a chill moment and puts you on the edge of your seat. The last seconds of
    the video symbolizes how even though one tries to break free, at the end we
    can’t win and we are tied up and can’t break free from higher power and what
    society expects of us.
    Youtube: GrOaNoZlAbLaOr

18. My fave part hmmm I’ve got to stick with the one that was remarkable the 1st time I watched. Ga-In’s scenes with the chair, they’re just awesome, the way her hair and make up complements her character, sometimes she had that “insane” smile, mainly in the end giving the idea of resentful but not giving up. Specially after Miryo’s rap, that high note of despair and when she gets up and throw the chair. It’s just awesome :pSorry for any mistake, I’m from PortugalYoutube username: butterfly90s

19. It’s not fair i love both BEG and 2NE1<3 it's a tie for me lol

20. I am Ma-In’s biggest fan now!!! XD and… i love fabio… XD…

that Alles Neu video was.. kind of creepy… (I going to get monkey nightmares for sure TT)

Thank you again, for making Mondays into Fridays….M-idays…. Mydays! haha :D

Oh yeah, and my vote for Sixth Sense :)

21. The bloopers! I’m crying from laughing so hard! Spudgy got tricks. :P

22. Love the poetry reading! It really, ah…adds emotion to the meaningful lyrics. :D

23. I am terrible at analyzing and finding meaning in things (I usually take things at face value). Made English class doing imagery etc that much more painful. But I would have to say I like the scenes of Jea in the water. As someone who has difficulties floating (I’m a sinker!) and even though I’m sure she was buoyed up by floating devices, it must have been hard to be wet and filming for long hours and having to look hot while being chained and giving off the appearance of being half drowned is impressive to me.

youtube: aretina221

24. My favorite part is 53-54 secs in the video haha they did the ultraman move! hehe my  youtube name is Mrmiahtoots

25. Martina! I agree SO much. I LOVED b2st, and when I wanted to get my friend into KPOP, I showed her B2ST, and she loved them! So now, I stay away from B2ST, but it’s not like I hate them. :| So that’s why I”m never showing Big Bang to anybody :D

26. Your rant was preaching to the choir as far as I’m concerned! People who stop liking bands to keep their hip reputation unsullied are just as bad–nay worse!–than those who follow the stampede of the masses from one hit to another.  Good music hits me viscerally whether it be a youtube kpop video or the Shabazz Palaces on Vinyl or the Fleet Foxes live at the Fillmore, and its amazing the connections you can make through shared experiences of awesome music (case and point: I met a 75 year old woman at the fleet foxes show who regaled me with stories about her time homesteading in Alaska.  SO COOL!  But she could also be seen as a bellwether of the mainstream popularity that the FF have gained.)  When someone easily turns their backs on a band who has hit it big, I doubt the sincerity of their feeling for music, and even their character more generally.

HOWEVER,  I do feel conflicted in the arena of kpop.  I still support artists knowing full well that they are backed by big musical companies, but it makes me really uncomfortable to see those companies in bed with the broadcasting companies.  I’m not a huge ballad person, but I bought a copy of JYJ’s album mostly because of their divorce from SM and the subsequent repercussions that they have suffered from the broadcasting companies.  That whole situation makes me hesitant to support any SM entertainment on any level that I can help; and luckily, I don’t really feel engaged by any of that companies songs so conflict of interest averted!  If something crazy like that happened with a YG artist I don’t know what I would do as I am a huge fan of both BB and 2ne1.  I do like that YG sometimes pushes back against the broadcasting companies a bit, as it makes me think that YG is more in the artists corner, rather than trying to put them on as many variety and music shows as possible to maximize exposure.

My favorite moment of the BEG song came around  4:04 when the riot police dude throws down his helmut and you really see him and identify with him as an individual and not part of some amorphous riot police mob.

However I have to go with 2ne1 for this weeks poll…sadly the last scene of the BEGs video jsut proved that even sexy smouldering resistance is futile against gold mask.

Youtube: wideners

27. BEG is number 1

28. great

29. Yay! Finally a song I voted for gets to be on Music Mondays! Usually I’m in the minority on these things.

I totally agree with your rant, Martina. However, to distinguish, I do dislike it when bands with great music purposefully change their sound and image (for the worse, usually) to appeal to the mainstream, because I feel like it only encourages the mainstream to ignore all this awesome indie stuff. If an indie band gets famous, great for them! But they shouldn’t pretend that they’re “growing as artists” if they’re really just selling out. There’s a difference, and you can always tell. If you want to appeal to the masses, just SAY so! Don’t pretend to be all artistic and cool when you really just want to sell more records. Dang, that turned into a rant of its own, hehe…

My favorite part of the video is when Ga-in knocks the chair away. I love the way it’s shot, and heck, sometimes I feel like throwing chairs too, lol. Youtube username aomi250.

I agree that them being a pop group might make this whole idea of “freedom” seem a little superficial, but BEG and NEGA Network have a consistent track record of defying the norm. Also, of all the pop groups, they’re the ones that control their image the least. They pretty much say and do what they want when they want and don’t care about being perceived as one way or the other, and I love that about them. So this is believable coming from them. I do think they want to make a statement, and not just use a new gimmick to promote their album. If any other girl group did this song and video (save maybe 2NE1) I would have laughed in their faces. While they may not be standing up to their management, they could be standing up to the broadcasters who favor a certain kind of women when casting for dramas and variety shows, and the cultural commissions who are constantly banning songs for “harmful content”. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ban the video for “inciting rebellious attitudes in the youth.”  *sigh*

Also, I don’t see what’s wrong with a k-pop group speaking for freedom of expression. Someone has to say it in a public setting, and few other groups and companies have made any sort of statement against the censoring and controlling of image and music in k-pop. So more power to them if you ask me.

I love this song and the entire album, and I hope BEG keeps bringing their own sound and style to k-pop. It’s better off for it if you ask me.

30. i feel like you guys pit BEG against 2NE1 on purpose cause they both have huge fan bases and you’re tired of people voting according to fandom.

31. I thought that this was an amazing video, I admit it’s one of the most powerful Kpop videos I’ve ever seen… I personally voted for Super Junior’s A-Cha video for this week, but I actually am pretty happy that this video won for the review. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Super Junior, they are my favorite– but this was just an amazing video, with a pretty powerful-sounding song. I’ve never listened to a Brown Eyed Girls song or seen any of their videos before, so I’m happy to have found out about them. They really are awesome. I admire their tough-girl appeal in this video, and I find it really cool… I could never pull of such a thing (I’m admittedly really girly…argh).
    I honestly really liked the entire video, I didn’t get bored at all… it’s difficult to choose a favorite part, but I have to say that I really liked the intro (the beginning leading all the way to when they start singing) because it sets the mood for the video; it’s really powerful, especially when you see their little resistance group against the huge army marching against them. I thought it was something that was pretty brave (even though it’s just a music video, of course).
    Thanks again, Simon and Martina, for another great review, and for introducing me to Brown Eyed Girls! You’ve made me their fan ^__^

Oh, and it’s Brown Eyed Girls for me for the showdown ^ ^ I love 2NE1 too, but I thought that BEG was just more strong and powerful! My YouTube name is PrincessAria7, by the way.

32. First i’d like to say- I love Kpop.
    I got problems with this video though.It screams “FAAAAKE!” to me.I’m from country where things like in video actually happened in my life and COUPLE times during life of my grandma.
    What we got here?Video made by talented and hardworking producers/writers/director… performed by talented and hardworking artists.
    But it’s also video that wouldn’t be made if talented and hardworking producer thought is won’t make money.It’s ok as long as they don’t try to convince us that it’s more.If it’s:”Here’s show,have fun!”,I’m ok with it.
    Indie art is as often fake as mainstream.How many ridiculous “rebels” u can meet in local club? Big money doesn’t make good art but no money doesn’t make good art either.Whatever “good art” is.
    Question that comes to my mind everytime i turn on radio in my country is about “moral responsibility” of artist.Same question popped out as i read comments here.There r artists here that made big careers in democracy,during Nazism,communism and then again in democracy.They always praised current regime,always dispraised previous one by their art.They apologize it by their “right to make art”.Then there r artists who rather than praising regime chose to face ban (if not jail) and worked as workers for most of they lives.In BOTH groups r amazingly talented and hardworking people.So,is talent and hard work all that makes good artist?How would Gain,Narsha,Jea and Miryo choose if they really faced situation from video?I don’t know,U don’t know,they themselves don’t know.
    If they stick with “I’m acting a rebel” instead of “I am a rebel”…ok.

33. Martina! You rant is so true!

My sister is just like this. She really liked xx band, but once everyone liked it and knew about it she lost interest because they weren’t anymore something ”special” she said. I think this doesn’t make sense, if you like/love some band/music and it get recognized by the people, this should make you happy, not angry/sad… I remember a girl here I live was famous in the myspace, but once she appeared on a tv show everyone started to say she sold herself and didn’t like her anymore… funny because she never changed her way of acting or singing, she is still the same, just more famous.

34. HI Simon &Martina ! Good jog again I loved this music Monday !  I posted my comment in Youtube  (youtube user name : utena240)but i wanted to post it here too because of the words limit on youtube comment.
    BEG ‘s Mv is amazing and like a lot of Kpop lovers, i appriciate it more after reading the Meaning of the Mv’s Concept on” AllKpop.com”.Answering to your question: My favorite part start at 3mn11 s with “leave it up right away Miaouuuuuu ” the point of start of THE  Myro’s RAP PART because at this moment we can really feel that the power of the revolution & resistance is growing up and Myro’s with her attractive voice show us the way to freedom .And finaly the rebellion start with the powerfull Ga in Scream  the signal for fighting for freedom.At thsi moment the all fight for their freedom and they cats off their chains.
    i really loved this moment, the music , the BEG’s voices and the images really match well.This give us the feeling to leave and being a part of this rebellion movement with just watching this Mv .
    Thanks for all your hard work !!!
                              From a french Girl fan !! (^0^)/  fighting !!

35. ~

I watched the video then I searched up the lyrics translation, and the english did not do for me. I’ll just based to what i felt from the music video. The video is truly symbolic, which can be compared to the problems of this world..  My favorite part is the puppet and the mic.. People everywhere are not absolutely honest (esp government) where they only tell the people what they think they want to hear. People under some management are forced to say something the management wants to, to make it look ‘good’.
    It shows how the higher position make puppets of those in lower position.
    This mv shows rebellion for freedom.

I’m happy BEG is back, and it is AMAZING! their vocals.. :)
    I miss Gain & JoKwon together…

P.s. when simon was wearing the wig, it made me imagine him as a girl and he can make a pretty lady snape;)

36. I think NEGA network – BEG’s company – *is* different from the big corporate sharks like SM. I’m a big fan of BEG, and I’ve read a lot of comments that show NEGA gives them and their other artists more freedom than the other, bigger entertaiment companies. Besides, the girls (except Ga In) are older and have more freedom to say what they mean and to joke around that others. I read that, for this albums, the girls not only recorded three albums worth of songs that didn’t use because they weren’t satisfied afterwards, but even used their own money to produce Sixth Sense alongside NEGA. And if you’re truly interested in the meaning behind the MV, the lyricist of Sixth Sense posted her explanation and allkpop translated it: http://www.allkpop.com/2011/10/lyricist-kim-eana-explains-the-symbolism-behind-brown-eyed-girls-sixth-sense-mv . While reading this, I couldn’t help but remember the explanation of T-Ara’s Ya Ya Ya lyricist.

So yeah, they’re not the ultimate rebels who will guide a Musical Rebellion on the k-pop landscape, but just like a spy, I think this is kind of as far as they can go to talk about it without causing an scandal they wouldn’t be able to recover from.

37. I have to keep smiling because when first watching this song on soompi´s page I wrote a note:
    “I can clearly see a hot candidate for Simon´s & Martina´s review…”

38. 2ne1 for me because the English just annoyed me way too much for beg

39. That is a pretty cool dystopian video, with a giant boatload of symbolism. *English Major geekout moment*

Thanks for bringing up the point about bands’ talents and popularity. When I got into kpop very recently, I caught myself wondering, When I like a popular kpop band, what exactly is it that I’m liking? The management’s ability to cast great talent? The producers’ ability to make the band sound good? The songwriters’ ability to pen a great tune to which the band themselves did not contribute? The hard work of choreographers and makeup artists? But I don’t worry so much about it anymore. These singers have talent, and they work like mad to be good at their jobs. So I’m just going to enjoy it all!

40. 2ne1 I am the best for the showdown!