Exo – Mama: Kpop Music Mondays

April 10, 2012

Comments

Mama! Just let me be your lover! Wait…no. That’s a different Mama. This Mama is totally different, and still pretty damned AWESOME!

So EXO-K has finally made their very very long awaited debut! *cougheventhoughweconsideredthemdebutedwithWhatIsLovecough* First off, we are really digging this song. It is seriously epic and the video matches it perfectly. Great production value and great dancing. We totally enjoyed this music video! Hopefully you all had the chance to catch our three teasers leading up to this week’s Music Monday and we want everyone to know that we made those teasers all in good fun to inject some humour into EXO-K. Even though we loved this song and video, we feel like EXO-K is being presented in a very serious light, and by serious I mean not goofy. We’ve got the million teasers, the “prologues” leading up to their “story”, the totally super serious 1:30 mythological introduction which introduces their backstory, the monk like chanting, the serious expressions in the music video, and even the lyrics are serious about unhappy and serious issues…WHY SO SERIOUUUUSSS!!!!

We all know that in reality EXO-K are really just humans acting the part of aliens or mythological beings, and, really, they’re just a group of talented guys chosen by a company to play the role the company wants. Now we fully acknowledge this “deeper reality” part of the kpop world and frankly, we don’t give a crap about it because we still think the kpop members themselves are extremely talented and should be acknowledged as such regardless of their company backing. However, no matter how serious the band’s image is, there is always room to be poked fun of and joked with, because at the end of the day, it’s much nicer to laugh and smile then fight with people about their differing opinions. Our goal for Kpop Music Monday has always been to make people laugh, and we like to sprinkle that laughter with a few opinions about marketing trends and production value. So hopefully you all had a good laugh at our teasers and also enjoy our review of EXO-K’s “MAMA”.

Now onto more serious business. How freaking cute was Spudgy in his little bear ear monk robes? WHOA. Our dog is so patient with us. Now a lot of people wanted to know why the cat Chicken who we are cat-sitting for did not have a teaser video, and that’s really easy to answer. Chicken is evil. If Chicken was larger, she would try to eat all of us. In fact, she has already tried. We fully believe that Chicken does not want to be a house cat and does not enjoy being with humans. She should be set free into the jungle where she can terrorize other animals. Simon has grown up with four cats, all of which we adopted, one which was found feral in the woods, and even that cat was able to be trained into be a loving animal that wants to be pet. We have never met a cat that doesn’t want to play with feathers, eat catnip, be pet when arching, or clean itself obsessively. A cat that doesn’t want to groom itself when in a lovely patch of sunlight is off to me. Scary.

Thanks to our friends who forget to tell us the important detail of their cat being evil. “Oh she’s called Chicken because she’s just shy”. What you meant to say was, “Oh she’s called Chicken because she’ll make you a coward who’s afraid of the little kitty cat hiding under your couch”. Thanks Brian and Whitney. Thanks.

OMG back to EXO-K! A couple of things we wanted to address that we couldn’t fit into the video! The cartoon at the beginning of the video was SO SO SO top notch and well done. Even though the English was difficult to follow, wow, the graphics were just, WOW. Also the special effects were incredible and not cheesy at all. That fire bird was amazing! Regarding the lyrics, we know that people are going to comment on this so we’ve got it say it now before they start flooding in. The word “MAMA” can have a few different meanings, and although we joked about it meaning mommy in our video, in reality it probably means more like Queen Mother. It’s not used normally in everyday Korean conversation, but I’ve heard it in several Korean historical dramas to address the Queen, and considering that EXO are mythological forces of nature, they’re probably talking to mother nature, or some kind of magical mother deity. But if I could choose, I’d prefer it to mean Seungri’s version, of MAMA as a hot mamacita. That would definitely shake up the meaning of the song:

Die, kill, fight, shout – this is it a war
Help us super hot woman, super hot sexy woman, super hot woman, super hot woman, turn back
Help us realize super hot woman sexy hot woman super good looking woman super hot woman, rolling back
Clash, hit, take sides, fight – this is not a game
Help us sexy hot woman super hot woman smexy hot woman foxy hot woman super hot woman, turn back
Yeah!!!

But I see the English “turn back” and “rolling back” still don’t work…ohh…

Well, enough blathering! If you’re a fan of the song as much as we are, you can pick up the EXO album on either YesAsia or iTunes. Or, if you’re in the mood for something more epic *awkwardcough* you can check out the music we made for the teasers for EXO, for free, here!

Woot! Lastly, it seems like this entire Music Monday was just a ball of bloopers. Here are this week’s bloopers, as well as the two EXO teasers and one Prologue we posted. Ooh! So…tease-ey!

KMM_Teaser_29_MARTINA (1) HD Full (English ver.)

KMM_Teaser_30_SIMON (1) HD Full (English ver.)

KMM_Prologue_1_Spudgy (1) HD Full (English ver.)

Comments

Exo – Mama: Kpop Music Mondays

1. EXO!

2. EXO!

3. i vote for EXO!!!

4. B.A.P all the way. I watched both versions of MAMA and it was just… Awkward. The whole face-tattoo-screamo was so random; I was sitting there thinking:”Why so rage-y?” (On the other hand, I wonder if they were trying to copy BIG BANG’s “Fantastic Baby”)

5. My vote is for B.A.P

6. EXO!!!!!

7. Hmmm I really liked both groups, but it took me awhile to like Warrior where as I instantly liked Mama, so I’ll go with Exo.

8. Hahaha, when I first watched the music video, I couldn’t understand a word of what was being said in the introduction part, but I thought it was because I’m not an english native speaker (even though I’m quite confident on my listening skills xD). Now I know the reason xD Ahh really, just a couple of mistakes would be alright, but that was too much lol
    And before a read the lyrics, I thought the chants were in latin O.o
    But overall, I like their concept. Superhot korean guys with superpowers? Please, count me in xD

Btw, my vote goes to BAP.

9. my vote goes to exo-k b/c i loved everything in the music video and also b/c there hot lols .///.

10. exo all the way, bap was explosive but exo is killing it.

i guess we’ll have to wait for their first nonlipsynched performance to tell but we already know theyve got the vocals. we just have to see if they can dance and sing and still keep everything so pristine (:

and the funniest thing is that they could have even gotten KRIS to edit the english since you know hes canadian and alll….. don’t even need to hire anyone LOL and yes i admit i didnt listen to what the guy said simply because he had an epic voice and i was just looking at the harrypotterdeathlyhallowsstorytelling-like graphics :D

11. B.A.P

12. EXO duh. I haven’t fangirled this much since SHINee’s Lucifer which was totally awesome and had omona open a new thread just for comments because it was too epic at that time!

13. I VOTE EXO. I WAS CONVERTED TO BEING AN EXOTIC AFTER I SAW MAMA!!!

14.  Sm really fooles me xD I wouldn’t have understood the intro without the animation. But since the animation was hella cool and the narrator had this epic nat-geo voice I understood the story and didn’t realize that it didn’t make sense.

The screamo part surprised me but in a good way. I also like heavy metal (despite my baby face) so Kai’s face art(?) was one of my favorite parts of the mv.

I heard so many good reviews about BAP, but it didn’t make me interested like… at all. I saw their debut stage with warrior and then never heard anything by them again. EXO in the other hand, had me interested since the very first teaser and before I knew it I was an EXOtic.

So I vote for EXO.

15. There can be only one vote…

BUNNIES

ARE

PUFFY!!!

No, but seriously… Not that this song and MV was bad, but warrior is just head’s and tail ahead of it. Without a doubt.

16. VOTE: B.A.P
    Even though EXO is really talented, I didn’t fangirlspazz the first time watching MAMA like I did with B.A.P’s WARRIOR. EXO was, oh cool powers :)… And B.A.P was OMFG THIS IS KPOP?!? @[email protected] So yea.

B.A.P Fighting~!! :)

17. Could anyone re-translate the tree of life prologue from the Korean subtitles? I’d like to understand better. Really, I do.

Judging by the music alone, Warrior makes a stronger first impression, but MAMA had a really awesome storyline involving the the boys using their powers to communicate with each other, and their dance is more technical, so my votes goes to EXO.

Hey! Kai’s Screamo was one of the best parts!

• I looked at the Mandarin version and even the subtitles there didn’t make much sense.

• U cannot understand the prologue?, its quite clear, i can help u out if u want…Its Very easy to comprehend and also interesting, I Liked…

• This is the tree of life prologue:
      When the skies and the grounds were one the legends, through their twelve forces, nurtured the tree of life.An eye of red force created the evil which coveted the heart of the tree of life and the heart slowly grew dry.To attempt to keep alive the heart of the tree of life the legends herby divided the tree in half and hide each side, hence time overturned and space turns obscure. (askew)The twelve forces divide into two and create two suns that look alike, into two worlds that seem alike.The legends travel apart. The legends shall now see the same sky but will stand on different grounds. They shall stand on the same ground but shall see different skies.The day that the grounds beget a single cloud to form one sky in two worlds that seem alike, the legends will greet each other.The day the red forces purify and the twelve forces reunite into one perfect root… a new world shall open up.

• Thank u..<3 <3 <3

• Thanks for trying, Weezy3685, but the confusing English voice over verbatim is not what I’m looking for.  I mean, “space turning obscure”? “eye of red force”? The two sentences about seeing sky while standing on grounds perfectly contradict each other. Since the grounds are different, how would the grounds beget (bring about?) one cloud? One single cloud equals an entire sky? @[email protected]

This is why it’d be nice if anyone could translate from the original Korean subtitles and clarify what SM meant to say! ^^? Any awesome bilinguals?

18. omg guy si love you :D i’m so glad you liked EXO ^^ i personally totally agree with you,that they should spend more money on super junior :(

19. B.A.P’s debut was very good but my vote goes to EXO. The whole concept is amazing. I also love the songs. Not only MAMA but most of the song from the mini album.

20. I vote for EXO!
    (I would also like to point out that it isn’t an acronym.)

21. EXO FTW!!!!
    honestly, call me crazy but the teasers and prologues and other crap never made me lose interest in EXO… yeah i know, crazy right? XD
    I CAN’T HELP IT THOUGH!!!! I’M SO ATTRACTED TO THEM

22. i vote for EXO!!! the song was amazing! as well as this video (i laughed so hard!)
    but i gotta say this, kai’s tattoed face really scared me ._. is like he appeared out of nowhere and screaming…  i almost fell off my chair >.>U
    anyway, greetings from Chile!

23. Hi, I love your blog i get so much laughs from them but i do have to ask. Why the part about Super Junior?  I mean  fair do’s i know you aren’t getting at super junior but more SM and their lack of money spending on the MV but still there was really a need to mention them in that way really.

24. EXO.

25. as much as i LOVE EXO, i think B.A.P was a bit more powerful for some reason… like, more in your face and longer lasting impact. i also liked the song much more so B.A.P for me ^^ (soz my bias Baek Hyun, i still love u T.T)

26. I know that you are not talking about korean bands’ other languages projects [wow, is it still in English? sorry :D ] but I have to say that EXO-M ver. of the mv was really more interesting!

Mandarin mv was dimmed, devoid of colour, darker and all super powers of members were more impressive. one of boys even could fly! he also has flame wings, but his were dragon wings :)
    one could stop the time [and knew martial arts :p ]. other used telekinesis….

also I love the moment when they started “seeing” each other through the same sky [living on different grounds :D ]

btw, the song reminded me of DBSK “tri-angle” very strongly. the same half pop – half heavy metal feel.

btw 2, why are all last songs by SMe artists so over-cried? they sing so loud! my ears hurt. it seems like they fight with eachother who sings louder. I prefer listening to Big Bang’s “blue” sung with whispers more.

27. voting for EXO!!! ^.^

28. Exo! omfg I was on tumblr when it was released and sh*t went CRAZY fnrjsikgrs. anyways. I’m a huge fan of Eat Your Kimchi ;; <3

29. Have you guys ever taken acting lessons? The acting in this MM was BRILIANT!!! SuSad, ooops I meant SuHo (one with the water) was acted out perfectly!!! Martina did an amazing job acting as the director (I think) and teleportation dude.

The only problem I found in the video was that I thought Martina was acting as Kai since he has the teleportation power, but I guess she wasn’t since she was asking if he knew that tattos were permanent… O_O?

Also, why did you guys made SuHo a crybaby? Were you aware that his nickname was SuSad?

30. The song’s awesome and I’m in love with the graphics, but I still love EXO-M’s version more. Their dancing isn’t as good as K’s but I prefer their overall sound. Kris did a MUCH better job than Kai in the scream part and had this awesome David Bowie thing going on (and he had a dragon A FLIPPIN’ DRAGON!) Tao’s rose petal scene was beautiful as well.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Lay’s badass unicorn. (3:26)

• You deserve a like for mentioning David Bowie. And I also prefer the overall sound in EXO-M’s version.

31. 1. Did you guys watch “The Fountain” movie? It was the first thing I thought of when the tree of life appeard, really, I was almost expecting to see bald Hugh Jackman sitting under that tree ;]

2. The butterfly guy reminded me of Park Bom.
    3. I loved the teasers and the prologue! Especially Martina’s teaser :D
    4. I’m voting for EXO.

32. should’ve mixed the two videos, cuz EXO-M still plays K-POP but in chinese, but i know, i know, just korean stuff, get it… =[ but i’d love to see your reaction when Kris just jumps and flies away ~  i loved the tatooed faces at the rock/rap part and i love the “no one who care about me” part, cuz i consider it as a prayer for the MAMA who kicked them out of their epic EXO-Planet and left them alone on Earth where fangirls will rip them into little pieces. – sigh. –
    vote: EXO [ not like EXO-K or EXO-M, but EXO. WE ARE ONE. <3. ]

33. Ooh and I forgot, since you already did this, I suggest you do the parallel world of EXO-M (although that is not Korean)

34. Seriously, for me this song is like a mix of Iyah, Tri-angle  and some musical music (Mozart for example). Besides, I seriously though I can hear Changmin from DBSK at some point :P
    About this scene with Kai and his painted face… seriously…. dear uncle LSM, did you want to try out your beloved visual rock element again? This is exactly what Shinhwa said here: http://youtu.be/n3Jf2CmsE6E?t=1m6s :PPP Who’s gonna be next? kkk

35. B.A.P! Because their debut was just like BAAAAM! CRAZY AWESOMENESS APPEARING OUT OF NOWHERE AND BLOWING OUR MIIIIINDS! Hahaha.. whereas we all have been expecting EXO to have an awesome debut for a long time. And it was awesome, don’t get me wrong! But BAP gets my vote. :)

36. This is my favorite Music Monday so far. It was so funny and I love your commentary on SM. Oh, and Martina, I adore you for this! That part with Shindong killed me. Epic!

37. Now I finally know why I failed to understand to the monologue at the beginning. At first I was, like, totally freaked out: “OMFG, MY ENGLISH IS DYING!!!!!!!!”

Turn out it was the video. Haha, thanks a lot for clearing that up for me guys :”>

38. The engrish was amazing this week….I personally would have given it a negative score because it confused me so very much….but I’m glad you guys were fair…^^

I vote B.A.P. because even though I loved EXO’s History, I love BAP as boys more….their show on MTV made me fall in love with each of them….however, the gazillion teasers SM released didn’t tell the viewers anything about EXO as boys, they just showed their dancing or modeling skills, which is good if you love looking at pretty faces, but I like to see the real side of my idols too…^^….so B.A.P. for the win….^^

39. oh man you guys are totally making me wish they had an actual movie or something now!!!! and that Kai part in your re-enactment thing just killed it!!! it was hilarious!!!!!
    i like EXO’s song more!! it was so freaky and cool and just something different for me! so obviously i vote for them!!

40. B.A.P. ^^ ♡