Exo – Mama: Kpop Music Mondays

April 10, 2012

Comments

Mama! Just let me be your lover! Wait…no. That’s a different Mama. This Mama is totally different, and still pretty damned AWESOME!

So EXO-K has finally made their very very long awaited debut! *cougheventhoughweconsideredthemdebutedwithWhatIsLovecough* First off, we are really digging this song. It is seriously epic and the video matches it perfectly. Great production value and great dancing. We totally enjoyed this music video! Hopefully you all had the chance to catch our three teasers leading up to this week’s Music Monday and we want everyone to know that we made those teasers all in good fun to inject some humour into EXO-K. Even though we loved this song and video, we feel like EXO-K is being presented in a very serious light, and by serious I mean not goofy. We’ve got the million teasers, the “prologues” leading up to their “story”, the totally super serious 1:30 mythological introduction which introduces their backstory, the monk like chanting, the serious expressions in the music video, and even the lyrics are serious about unhappy and serious issues…WHY SO SERIOUUUUSSS!!!!

We all know that in reality EXO-K are really just humans acting the part of aliens or mythological beings, and, really, they’re just a group of talented guys chosen by a company to play the role the company wants. Now we fully acknowledge this “deeper reality” part of the kpop world and frankly, we don’t give a crap about it because we still think the kpop members themselves are extremely talented and should be acknowledged as such regardless of their company backing. However, no matter how serious the band’s image is, there is always room to be poked fun of and joked with, because at the end of the day, it’s much nicer to laugh and smile then fight with people about their differing opinions. Our goal for Kpop Music Monday has always been to make people laugh, and we like to sprinkle that laughter with a few opinions about marketing trends and production value. So hopefully you all had a good laugh at our teasers and also enjoy our review of EXO-K’s “MAMA”.

Now onto more serious business. How freaking cute was Spudgy in his little bear ear monk robes? WHOA. Our dog is so patient with us. Now a lot of people wanted to know why the cat Chicken who we are cat-sitting for did not have a teaser video, and that’s really easy to answer. Chicken is evil. If Chicken was larger, she would try to eat all of us. In fact, she has already tried. We fully believe that Chicken does not want to be a house cat and does not enjoy being with humans. She should be set free into the jungle where she can terrorize other animals. Simon has grown up with four cats, all of which we adopted, one which was found feral in the woods, and even that cat was able to be trained into be a loving animal that wants to be pet. We have never met a cat that doesn’t want to play with feathers, eat catnip, be pet when arching, or clean itself obsessively. A cat that doesn’t want to groom itself when in a lovely patch of sunlight is off to me. Scary.

Thanks to our friends who forget to tell us the important detail of their cat being evil. “Oh she’s called Chicken because she’s just shy”. What you meant to say was, “Oh she’s called Chicken because she’ll make you a coward who’s afraid of the little kitty cat hiding under your couch”. Thanks Brian and Whitney. Thanks.

OMG back to EXO-K! A couple of things we wanted to address that we couldn’t fit into the video! The cartoon at the beginning of the video was SO SO SO top notch and well done. Even though the English was difficult to follow, wow, the graphics were just, WOW. Also the special effects were incredible and not cheesy at all. That fire bird was amazing! Regarding the lyrics, we know that people are going to comment on this so we’ve got it say it now before they start flooding in. The word “MAMA” can have a few different meanings, and although we joked about it meaning mommy in our video, in reality it probably means more like Queen Mother. It’s not used normally in everyday Korean conversation, but I’ve heard it in several Korean historical dramas to address the Queen, and considering that EXO are mythological forces of nature, they’re probably talking to mother nature, or some kind of magical mother deity. But if I could choose, I’d prefer it to mean Seungri’s version, of MAMA as a hot mamacita. That would definitely shake up the meaning of the song:

Die, kill, fight, shout – this is it a war
Help us super hot woman, super hot sexy woman, super hot woman, super hot woman, turn back
Help us realize super hot woman sexy hot woman super good looking woman super hot woman, rolling back
Clash, hit, take sides, fight – this is not a game
Help us sexy hot woman super hot woman smexy hot woman foxy hot woman super hot woman, turn back
Yeah!!!

But I see the English “turn back” and “rolling back” still don’t work…ohh…

Well, enough blathering! If you’re a fan of the song as much as we are, you can pick up the EXO album on either YesAsia or iTunes. Or, if you’re in the mood for something more epic *awkwardcough* you can check out the music we made for the teasers for EXO, for free, here!

Woot! Lastly, it seems like this entire Music Monday was just a ball of bloopers. Here are this week’s bloopers, as well as the two EXO teasers and one Prologue we posted. Ooh! So…tease-ey!

KMM_Teaser_29_MARTINA (1) HD Full (English ver.)

KMM_Teaser_30_SIMON (1) HD Full (English ver.)

KMM_Prologue_1_Spudgy (1) HD Full (English ver.)

Comments

Exo – Mama: Kpop Music Mondays

1. Although I really like EXO my vote goes to B.A.P!

They’re both really talented groups, but what I love about B.A.P is that they made such an awesome impression that blew me away – they were not even from the big 3’s. TS Entertainment is still in its infant stage compared to power house SM in a lot of ways, and more importantly financially.

Also, I really like the fact that they have a lot artistic freedom compared to many groups (no names here), and they themselves had a lot to say in the concept; songwriting, choreography, clothes.

But that said though, I prefer EXO-M’s version over EXO-K’s. And no, it has nothing to with Lu Han and Tao being my biases. *lie*

2. my vote’s for exo-k , -m or whatever… even though it took me a while to understand sm’s whole let’s split the group up exo concept. the song’s awesome and the mv’s pretty cool. but imho the exo-m versions kinda cooler ;)
    bap’s waaaaarrior is kinda catchy and i really liked the moves in the mv. but the whole video reminded me too much of a flashdancy mad max mash-up.

btw martina’s introduction’s hilaaaarious :D

3. i know what you mean about the narration at the beginning. i couldn’t pay attention to that story, i kept zoning out cuz it didn’t make sense.

4. D

This blog post just made my day. And all of the videos too. Ahhhah! I love the lyrics to the song if it meant mama like hot mamacita. Genius.

5. B.A.P all the way!!!
    WARRIOR!!!!!!!

6. U guys so awesome hehehe Hard work guys ^^ Love u <3

7. Love both bands but I have to say I like B.A.P’s first single over EXO’s “first” single.

8. The heavy guitars and Kai screaming at the camera bit and the whole thing with the monk capes just brought me to my nostalgic years of being a total TRAX fanatic – look at the MV for Paradox, then look at MAMA, then back at Paradox……………. Loving it, though, loving every second of it.
    You guys rock!

9. My vote goes to BAP :) even though I like EXO they didn’t make me turn into an immediate fan girl and spaz out like BAP…WARRIOR!

10. EXO over BAP. MAMA was amazing. Totally different.

11. BAP!

12. I just rewatched B.A.P.’s Warrior video — and re-confirmed for myself.

YUP. They got it. Their superpowers are killer Rap, fierce dance that can stomp cracks in concrete and unified bad-assery. B.A.P. for the WIN. :)

13. I though the EXO-M guys were more scarier tattooed! Kai looked almost like a maori warrior but the others were like undead army or at least Xiu Min was!

14. “When the skies and the grounds were one. The legends…. blah blah blah”

Could that be what is being said? :/

• I totally agree with this.

They need to invest in punctuation and real translators. SM you are banned from Google Translate!!

15. SO HARD TO CHOOOOSEEEEEE…….hmmmmm sorry B.A.P…you and your sexy blondenessssss, so-very-sorry …..but EXO-K BAYYYYBAYYYYY!!!! OH YEAH MAAAAMMMMMAAAAA!!!!

16. I vote for EXO, I mean seriosly, what else can you say about them besides sexy and fabulous?

17. B.A.P! woohoo~!

18. it’s surprising how many people likes metal n kpop at the same time . lool

19. B.A.P Easy… I have fallen in love with Exo, but Warrior had me addicted with the colors and aggression. I would never show a non-kpop loving friend the mama video… way too embarrassed.

20. BAP!

Im so bored with EXO that i havent even bothered listening to Mama yet. Not sure i will either. I got bored somewhere around teaser 5 :/

21. Imma go with B.A.P. – for their unified Swagger ~ they really burst out of the gate with talent and power —-► all in one GO.

They did not rely on endless pre-hype, teasers &  prologues (wtf?) and MorganFreeman/Captain Picard Led Zepplin riff-rip-off . Both groups are products of corporate machinery…yet, one must admit that ANY group produced by SM is going to have $$$$ and media opportunities that smaller companies can’t do.

So …pound for pound…based on the artists alone – I find B.A.P. to be more compelling.

22. BAP ! Yay !

23. Once you understand more of the symbolism and watch the Chinese Version, you can see how everything connects together. This was definitely a concept that they thought about a lot.

I think EXO had the better debut. I think their dancing and vocals are the best out of all the newly debuted rookies. You can tell they trained really hard.

• Actually there are so many people envious of EXO making a ess with their mouths, EXO is Awesome, I love them too. SOme  Koreans are envying them, even in Japan without any promotion EXO is topping #1 and #2 in chArts.

24. Although both debuts were amazing and epic, I’d have to go with EXO for this one. They killed it!

25. I vote EXO over BAP.

26. EXO!!

27. B.A.P Warrior. Sorry, but that was A. less confusing, whilst still full of symbolism. B. a real debut. Not, like, six singles in. Also, I prefer their style.

28. I vote for EXO, I like MAMA better than Warrior. *hides from BAP stans*

29. B.A.P was really good and explosive BUT….EXO was much better, their songs, MVs, dance moves, lyrics, live,… are PERFECT with no doubt. So my vote is for EXO……WE ARE ONE
    Go EXO

30. EXO~mama!

31. Hahaha now you made me think of what would it mean if it was an acronym xD Maybe…Exposure to X-ray is the Origin xD  Maybe that would be a better explanation of the source of their superpowers hahaha

32. EXO XD

33. as much as i pretty like exo

BIBIMBAPBAPBAPBAPBAAAAAAAAP !!!!!

B.A.P !!!!

they had something really unique and so powerful and catchy and i just fell in love at the very first hearing/sight !
    They didn’t have to release a thousand of teasers or prologue singles. Just a simple teaser and a simple debut single and bam, they caught my heart.
    Plus, honestly, at first hearing, i wasn’t excited at all by exo. and their concept, i’m not sure about it. also the fact they’re separated in 2 units and all. it’s all so kinda complicated. i like them now but it actually really took me time. like, really.

• Whats wrong releasing thousaND of teaser, Arent they having mobey for that? They could have just debuted without this also, I love EXO i hate so much rap of BAP, i like singing more than talking talking

•  and why on earth are you replying to me this NOW ? wow… you really dig far ! it’s been a while i mean, it’s been more than a week ! (the show down between EXO and B.A.P is over. Plus, EXO won. *shrug*)
        Well. I’m sorry !!! this is my opinion !!! B.A.P released just one very powerful teaser and MV and they managed with just that to gain a lot of fans. (maybe not as much as EXO, no, but still enough to make a tight with EXO’s popularity on the web on here).
        That’s, my point of view. I honestly believe that if EXO have released just one or very few teasers and 1 official debuting MV i’d have been more interested and seduced by them naturally. What i mean is when they finally officially -debuted-, there were no any surprises and thrill since we’ve already seen a bunch of teasers (that i didn’t watch all cause too much is too much for me) and 2 MV. There were no more surprises !! I still liked the song and the MV, but there were no surprises or over-excitement or breath taken away like there were with B.A.P.
        And yeah EXO comes from SM and they have a lot of money. But it doesn’t mean the more money the use the better it will be, the more complicated they make it the better it will be. Sometimes we make the best things with nothing. (But anyway. And i’m not saying B.A.P did simple though. it’s simpl-er than EXO but well).
        A thousand of teasers is just plain annoying. sorry. my point of view. it’s like screaming to your face -look at me look at me look at me look at me i have money look at me look at me only look at meeeeee here another teaserrrrr weeeeeeh !!!!!! we’re exo exo exo exo exo your new fav group exooooo weeeeeh !!!… … Sometimes over promoting, it’s my opinion, kills the whole thing. I have nothing against the boys themselves. The boys are nice. It’s just their management/company and how they promoted them. It’s like brainwash. “YOU !! Will love EXO !!!”… and the worst part is that it works. Like i said, at first hearing and all i wasn’t attracted or interested at all by EXO, nor by the song, nor by the mv, nor by the boys… but they’ve been so many promotion and mv and people talking about them all over the web that… you just end up being used to them, that end up liking/loving them, although you didn’t at first.

SO ! I have no idea why i feel the need to explain myself this to you ! and why you felt the need to randomly reply to some people just… now.
        Ok ! Allright ! You love EXO, you hate B.A.P. You prefer EXO’s debut. I love B.A.P. And i love EXO. Didn’t like the way they promoted and the craze and over-excitement there’ve been about them. And i love B.A.P’s debut better cause it actually really blew my mind. But that’s it.End, of the story.

34. my vote for B.A.P

35. Kai Bai Bo…that will be stuck in my head forever!

36. Definitely EXO!!!!

37. How can you make me choose between these two D:
    Horrid >..<

38. B.A.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. B.A.P

40. B(lond). A(sian). P(eople). – Warrior!
    Also SM finds Google Translate much better than any English speaker.