f(x) – Electric Shock: Kpop Music Monday

July 2, 2012

Comments

F(x)’s Electric Shock topped the KpopCharts this week, as they’re finally back with a super duper awesome song but really boring music video. Check it out here:

Ughhh. What a predictable disappointment. Not with the song, mind you. The song itself was unpredictably AWESOME! We really love it. Like, REALLY really love it, and we’ve been singing it all week. The music video, though, we had to watch over and over again and it just got worse with each watching. IT’S SO BORING!

Now look: we know it’s difficult to be creative. We have to be creative weekly with all of our videos, especially with Music Monday. We frequently have to dig deep into our crazy imagination when we deal with music videos like this, so that we can think up something at least remotely funny that can make you guise giggle. Yes, a whole bunch some of our Music Mondays are not great, but we’re just two people who sometimes have creative brain farts and simply burnout. SM Entertainment, on the other hand, is a multi million dollar company, isn’t it? Doesn’t it have a WHOLE SLEW of people producing videos for them? Like, it’s their only job for the company: direct and make music videos? And yet, all they can come up with is THIS music video?

Seriously, this looks exactly like a live stage performance with a few costume changes. It’s like the director sat down and said, “hey, let’s make a music video in a room, with electric looking lights, and then they’ll dance. Oh and weird costumes, AKA, make a video out of their performances on Music Core” Really? I know we kind of ripped into Big Bang’s “Monster” a couple weeks ago, and now I feel like taking it all back. At least they tried to do something interesting, even if it was a little overwhelming and disorganized. It was different, though! With a title like Electric Shock, we imagined so many interesting music videos that could have been. We are going to share just two ideas, but we had many more:

Music Video Possibility #1) f(x) is walking down the street, wearing normal and dull coloured clothing, talking and humming their song, when Luna catches the eye of a hot guy walking the opposite direction. As they walk passed each other, they brush hands just as the EEEEEEElectric shock chorus hits in. Their touch sends out an electric shock wave ripple, which in turn causes everyone’s clothing to change to neon colours and super funkiness. Then, everyone dances on the street to the chorus – obviously – but when the chorus is done, the camera zooms out from Luna’s shocked face (and the other guy is shocked too), and they’re both surprised because none of that actually happened. It was just in their minds, and they keep walking past each other, but they look back shyly. The video would progress the same way in different locations, like grocery shopping (eye contact), or a library at school, and eventually it would end at a club where they meet on the dance floor and their “touching” causes everyone to change for real. BOOM!!!

Music Video Possibility #2) f(x) is hanging out outside having a picnic, when suddenly a storm rolls in and they all get struck by lighting from a weird looking pink cloud (not the same one from f(x)’s “Danger”). When they wake up, they all have crazy clothing on that’s all bright, and they’ve also got crazy teased hair (like the huge hair from Orange Caramel in Bangkok City). They then discover that they have the power to shoot electricity from their hands which makes people happy and fall in love. So, if a couple is fighting, f(x) would zap them, which would result in in the couple changing into funky clothing and also being back in love. They would then join in on the dancing with f(x). The video would continue with f(x) going around the city injecting colour, life, and love into all the people, until the camera zooms back and the whole city looks colourful and happy as they all dance with f(x).

See how easy that was! Sure, it’s gonna cost more money than dancing in a box, but it’ll at least not be boring.

Well despite our disappointment in the music video, I guess it really doesn’t matter as much as if the song is good. And the song is good. I guess from our perspective we will always respect an attempt to be creative rather than just a music video for the sake of making a video. Especially a really dull video loaded with unblockable advertisements that stay on the screen for five to ten seconds. “Hello, yes this is SM Entertainment. Why yes, we ARE looking for ways to make more money while saving money on our music videos. How did you know!”

OK ENOUGH RANTING! This song’s too awesome for us to end this on a bad note. We love this song, and we’d be surprised if you don’t like it. IT’S SO GOOD! Pick it up either on iTunes or YesAsia, because it’s so good. And, lastly, we’ve got bloopers as always. Martina had the late night crazies, and someone said Fart. HA! Fart jokes still make us giggle :D

Comments

f(x) – Electric Shock: Kpop Music Monday

1. 2NE1 ^^

2. LOVE the SM joke!

3. Kim

2NE1

4. Did anyone else find this song incredibly similar to BoA’s Hurricane Venus? Whenever we hear the chorus of Electric Shock, my sister and I end up singing ‘Hu-hu-hu-hurricane ve-ve-ve-venus!!’

5. 2ne1

6. 2NE1 for Bamaratata! It’s nonsense but it still gets stuck in your head. Love your ideas for music videos. So detailed and creative!

7. HAH!! Totally get a cat!! And call it spudgette!! Oh guys, have you figured out your cupple name yet!? Thats okay i have one you be Sitina? Ororor Marton!? Orrrrrrr if u included spudgy you could be ..SPARTON!! I know what your thinking … FREAKING EPIC RIGHT!? Anyways back to the video … I dont think you will ever see an sm video where it doesnt have two or three boxes they dance in T-T you guys should write a letter saying that you could do a better job than them. Love you guys! Oh!! And if u ever need alittle minion … Im your gal!! :D

8. I vote for Fx because i swear, that “nanananana” was stuck in my head for the entreity of my french final exam -.-

9. Preach Simon and Martina preach! SM are quite stingy and narrow minded. I think if SM want to compete in a global music market and grow their international fan base (I assume this because of the SMTown tours in LA, NYC and Paris) they need to up the ante. Good songs and good music videos go hand in hand. There needs to be variety and some level of innovation with each new album or era to keep old fans excited and to attract new fans. It seems with their established groups they do a really good job with SHINee. With each album SHINee has released there has been different themes and concepts going on from Replay (Noona’s So Pretty) to Juliette to Ring Ding Dong to Lucifer to Sherlock. The other groups just get out-of-the-box teaser photos that have nothing to do with the MV and extreme hair colour and cut changes. Boy oh boy how I wish SM would watch Music Mondays and read the comments.

10. 2NE1 of course 0/

11. Definitely 2NE1!!!! They r super duper awesome!!

12. I found that new group have more interesting music videos than their sunbaes.
    In most SM music videos, they dance in a tiny room and look into the wall and try to touch it. It does get boring.
    And I vote for 2NE1 for their non-sense English

13. I agree with Martina in the fact that SM is not putting enough effort in the videos of their most popular artist because the people already know them so if much useless, but it has to change because new people are becoming fans so they own them that!

14. My vote is for 2NE1!

15. Of course 2ne1! “electric shock” is so boring. IMHO

16. one vote for 2NE1’s BAM TARATATATA TARATATATA! Makes no sense, but you can sing along with it ;)

17. “heart of farts” wahahahahahahaha

18. I vote 2NE1! :)

19. im not a big SM fan, but i agree, their videos are almost always disappointing.
    the music is awesome, but i feel like they just pick a director’s name out of a box filled with directors who have proved to be some of the world’s most boring video directors, hand said director a pile of cash, and say “go crazy.”
    i’d have to say a big reason why i’m not a huge fan of the majority of SM’s groups is because of the boring videos, which is honestly an easy thing to fix. i know i would definitely pay more attention to SM if their videos were more attention grabbing and interesting, like what they did with exo’s “mama” (but with actual story lines added in there.)

20. Oh my god, I actually started cracking up when I read Music Video Possibility #1; I love it!!! I wish SM Entertainment would read your reviews because that was an awesome video idea right there. For real.

21. I vote for 2NE1’s I AM THE BEST (BAM RATATATA…) so much cooler!!!

22. 2NE1. No questions asked.

23. My vote is for 2NE1!

24. how about T-ara’s Yayaya.. the full song is made up of our favorite childhood vocab.

25. Great Music Monday, as usual :) My vote is for 2NE1!

26. I wish Simon and Martina will review Super Junior’s “Rockstar” in addition to “Sexy, Free, and Single”
    I’m still giggling every time I listen to it (thumbs up if you understand what I mean)

27. OMG, you guys are getting a cat!! I’m super excited! In other news, I wonder how long it will take before SM fans start throwing stuff at the boring box videos and never watch them again. That might take awhile, but I can see it happening if they keep going down this lazy route. I vote for 2NE1 who is also coming out this week!

28. oh! It’s 2NE1 New Evolution World Tour Picture! Will you guise come to the concert? :O

29. 2NE1
    Bamratatataratatatata~<3

30. 2ne1 back! I love them!! I love both groups, but vote for 2ne1! their boom-pa-ta-ta so stuck in my head! it was great! Nana pall, and the boom-Ratatouille original!

31. dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada

32. 2NE1!! For the Win!!!!

33. At random times throughout the day I just bust out singing BAMRATATATA!! It’s a problem really. I’m looking into getting help…or am I? BAMRATATATA!!!! Lol. <3 2NE1!!

34. 2ne1 exactly!!!!!!!!

35. gosh..if you guys were real directors or whatever, your mvs would be mad hits

36. 2NE1’s nonsense words seems more ‘nonsense’ to me it seemed like how cavemen would talk but f(x)’s nonsense words were a bit too normal like we hear it all the time in different songs so im going for 2NE1! ^^

37. wahhhh i love u guys so much^^ you are really so awesome, actually today is extrem hot and i had a stressful and bad day. but after watching your vid you made my day^^

i just have to ask: i had the feeling that you were a little anxious when you explained the dislikes of the song. i mean like: we have to calm the fans everytime we say something that we don´t like about f(x)
    but it doesn´t change the fact that the mv was boring and chaotic. this song DESERVES BETTER DANCEMOVES and MV.

38. SM obviously pours all their money into their new groups. So supernatural EXo has eaten a large portion of their budget for the year…. half of SUJU is heading off to the army so they may drop a bit of cash on a last hurrah for them but who knows. SME is selective if they can get away with a cheap vid and big sales… they’ll do it.

39. 2ne1’s Bomratatata<3..i catchier