f(x) – Electric Shock: Kpop Music Monday

July 2, 2012

Comments

F(x)’s Electric Shock topped the KpopCharts this week, as they’re finally back with a super duper awesome song but really boring music video. Check it out here:

Ughhh. What a predictable disappointment. Not with the song, mind you. The song itself was unpredictably AWESOME! We really love it. Like, REALLY really love it, and we’ve been singing it all week. The music video, though, we had to watch over and over again and it just got worse with each watching. IT’S SO BORING!

Now look: we know it’s difficult to be creative. We have to be creative weekly with all of our videos, especially with Music Monday. We frequently have to dig deep into our crazy imagination when we deal with music videos like this, so that we can think up something at least remotely funny that can make you guise giggle. Yes, a whole bunch some of our Music Mondays are not great, but we’re just two people who sometimes have creative brain farts and simply burnout. SM Entertainment, on the other hand, is a multi million dollar company, isn’t it? Doesn’t it have a WHOLE SLEW of people producing videos for them? Like, it’s their only job for the company: direct and make music videos? And yet, all they can come up with is THIS music video?

Seriously, this looks exactly like a live stage performance with a few costume changes. It’s like the director sat down and said, “hey, let’s make a music video in a room, with electric looking lights, and then they’ll dance. Oh and weird costumes, AKA, make a video out of their performances on Music Core” Really? I know we kind of ripped into Big Bang’s “Monster” a couple weeks ago, and now I feel like taking it all back. At least they tried to do something interesting, even if it was a little overwhelming and disorganized. It was different, though! With a title like Electric Shock, we imagined so many interesting music videos that could have been. We are going to share just two ideas, but we had many more:

Music Video Possibility #1) f(x) is walking down the street, wearing normal and dull coloured clothing, talking and humming their song, when Luna catches the eye of a hot guy walking the opposite direction. As they walk passed each other, they brush hands just as the EEEEEEElectric shock chorus hits in. Their touch sends out an electric shock wave ripple, which in turn causes everyone’s clothing to change to neon colours and super funkiness. Then, everyone dances on the street to the chorus – obviously – but when the chorus is done, the camera zooms out from Luna’s shocked face (and the other guy is shocked too), and they’re both surprised because none of that actually happened. It was just in their minds, and they keep walking past each other, but they look back shyly. The video would progress the same way in different locations, like grocery shopping (eye contact), or a library at school, and eventually it would end at a club where they meet on the dance floor and their “touching” causes everyone to change for real. BOOM!!!

Music Video Possibility #2) f(x) is hanging out outside having a picnic, when suddenly a storm rolls in and they all get struck by lighting from a weird looking pink cloud (not the same one from f(x)’s “Danger”). When they wake up, they all have crazy clothing on that’s all bright, and they’ve also got crazy teased hair (like the huge hair from Orange Caramel in Bangkok City). They then discover that they have the power to shoot electricity from their hands which makes people happy and fall in love. So, if a couple is fighting, f(x) would zap them, which would result in in the couple changing into funky clothing and also being back in love. They would then join in on the dancing with f(x). The video would continue with f(x) going around the city injecting colour, life, and love into all the people, until the camera zooms back and the whole city looks colourful and happy as they all dance with f(x).

See how easy that was! Sure, it’s gonna cost more money than dancing in a box, but it’ll at least not be boring.

Well despite our disappointment in the music video, I guess it really doesn’t matter as much as if the song is good. And the song is good. I guess from our perspective we will always respect an attempt to be creative rather than just a music video for the sake of making a video. Especially a really dull video loaded with unblockable advertisements that stay on the screen for five to ten seconds. “Hello, yes this is SM Entertainment. Why yes, we ARE looking for ways to make more money while saving money on our music videos. How did you know!”

OK ENOUGH RANTING! This song’s too awesome for us to end this on a bad note. We love this song, and we’d be surprised if you don’t like it. IT’S SO GOOD! Pick it up either on iTunes or YesAsia, because it’s so good. And, lastly, we’ve got bloopers as always. Martina had the late night crazies, and someone said Fart. HA! Fart jokes still make us giggle :D

Comments

f(x) – Electric Shock: Kpop Music Monday

1. You guys should go work for SM and get paid millions to come up with music video ideas and correct their Engrish. Seriously, your ideas were amazing! I find it difficult to believe that no one on any creative team at SM could come up with anything better than dancing in a box. I’m sure there were people who were like “let’s do this and this and this” and the bosses at SM were like “we are a billion dollar corporation that produces and markets music, videos, and people, and you expect us to SPEND money? You’re fired!” *points finger Donald Trump-style. Perhaps SM really stands for “save money.”

• SM… Simon and Martina… They could secretly take over the company and not even have to change the name. I vote for a mutiny led by Spudgy!

• I have to wonder what their budgets are for every music video. I’m sure even with whatever miniscule amount it would be, S&M could make a way more interesting vid than oddly-lit rooms and, um, using tasers.

• Yeah, right ^^ I could totally imagine the MV’s Simon and Martina describe ^^

• i believe that to SME, since they are already famous, they know that stans will buy whatever they do.
      just when they think that the production is important that they actually start to care ¬¬

2. No mention of Amber’s first shot at singing instead of rapping? I’m surprised!

3. Why can’t SM realize that if they just spent a little more money, which they probably have, they can think outside the oddly-lit boxes and fix their horrendous English, and maybe I could convince my friends that I am not crazy for liking Kpop, and SM would have more fans, more sales, and more money!

• i know right!! they used to be soo creative. remember TVXQ mirotic? fan girls are still drooling over that years later. at least they are still somewhat creative with SNSD, no one can argue that.

• OMG YES!! I like kpop because my friend showed me MBLAQ’s ‘Its war’ mv which was super duper awesome but I can’t convert more people to kpop with boring music videos!!!

4. You two should totally review on Super Junior’s Sexy, Free & Single XD IF SMent ever releases it OTL Stupid trolls always release musicvideo’s too damn late T_T

As for the poll; i’d go for Bomratatata~ idk it sounds more powerful than nananana~ XD

5. nice~~~and, oh, hey wait a minute~~did you~~you did, didn’t you? was that a– wait was that a Monty Python Dead Parrot reference?!? i knew i loved you guys for multiple reasons…

6. dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada

7. 2ne1 back! I love them!! I love both groups, but vote for 2ne1! their boom-pa-ta-ta so stuck in my head! it was great! Nana pall, and the boom-Ratatouille original!

8. 2NE1!! For the Win!!!!

9. At random times throughout the day I just bust out singing BAMRATATATA!! It’s a problem really. I’m looking into getting help…or am I? BAMRATATATA!!!! Lol. <3 2NE1!!

10. gosh..if you guys were real directors or whatever, your mvs would be mad hits

11. 2ne1 exactly!!!!!!!!

12. 2NE1
    Bamratatataratatatata~<3

13. oh! It’s 2NE1 New Evolution World Tour Picture! Will you guise come to the concert? :O

14. 2NE1. No questions asked.

15. I vote for 2NE1’s I AM THE BEST (BAM RATATATA…) so much cooler!!!

16. My vote is for 2NE1!

17. how about T-ara’s Yayaya.. the full song is made up of our favorite childhood vocab.

18. OMG, you guys are getting a cat!! I’m super excited! In other news, I wonder how long it will take before SM fans start throwing stuff at the boring box videos and never watch them again. That might take awhile, but I can see it happening if they keep going down this lazy route. I vote for 2NE1 who is also coming out this week!

19. I wish Simon and Martina will review Super Junior’s “Rockstar” in addition to “Sexy, Free, and Single”
    I’m still giggling every time I listen to it (thumbs up if you understand what I mean)

20. Great Music Monday, as usual :) My vote is for 2NE1!

21. 2NE1’s nonsense words seems more ‘nonsense’ to me it seemed like how cavemen would talk but f(x)’s nonsense words were a bit too normal like we hear it all the time in different songs so im going for 2NE1! ^^

22. wahhhh i love u guys so much^^ you are really so awesome, actually today is extrem hot and i had a stressful and bad day. but after watching your vid you made my day^^

i just have to ask: i had the feeling that you were a little anxious when you explained the dislikes of the song. i mean like: we have to calm the fans everytime we say something that we don´t like about f(x)
    but it doesn´t change the fact that the mv was boring and chaotic. this song DESERVES BETTER DANCEMOVES and MV.

23. As probably the richest kpop company, it’s funny how SM probably spend the least amount of money on music videos. (besides EXO, of course)

24. I found the nonsense language in Electric Shock more awesome than in the 2NE1 song. But seeing how most of EYK voters are YG biased, I don’t see them winning.

I actually found this Music Video better than some of their previous ones since the oddly lit rooms actually complement the song quite well. Music Video Possibility #1 looks legit ;)

In the lyrics when Amber says ‘Gage’, I thought it was a Korean word.

The most awesome thing about this song is definitely Luna’s vocals, especially the first chorus. It was amaaaaaaaazing!

The dance was great as well. The dance at 2:50 of the video was very sexy.

Anyways, I really love the song and my vote goes for f(x)!

25. I like your glasses. You 2 are funny. Greetings from Slovenia

26. 2ne1 Bambratatata… it always get stuck in my head (─‿‿─)

27. OMG My friend, who’s korean, HATES KPOP. Why? He saw one SM video and was completely… taken aback? He now thinks kpop is weird. -.- Anyways, 2NE1 ALL THE WAY!!! BOOKM SHAKALAKA… Ahem. I mean BAMRATATATA!!!

28. like dollar store exploed all over them. LOL!

29. 2ne1 wins. Their nonsense is so much more badass. F(x)’s just sounds like playground mockery. “Na na na na na naaa! You can’t catch me!”

30. SM obviously pours all their money into their new groups. So supernatural EXo has eaten a large portion of their budget for the year…. half of SUJU is heading off to the army so they may drop a bit of cash on a last hurrah for them but who knows. SME is selective if they can get away with a cheap vid and big sales… they’ll do it.

31. 2ne1’s Bomratatata<3..i catchier

32. from a huge SM & f(x) fan, i must say i agree with you with the creativeness of their MV. IMO, i was expecting alot for f(x) Electric Shock MV, but it just doesn’t bring ANY justice to the song. It was actually boring and familiar looking for me. Even their choreography is just sooo “MEH” for me. i preferred NU ABO and CHU’s dance more.
    Don’t get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE THE SONG, just the MV doesn’t cut it out for me :/

• I agree. NU ABO was a good dance and the sense of them being ASIA’S POP DANCE GROUP is on Chu~♥ and NU ABO.

33. 2ne1 for sure! :D

34. hey, guys.! i’m new here. kinda… anyway, where can we vote for the showdown.? my vote goes to f(x) because they’re consistent using it. even since their debut la cha la cha cha ta (La Cha Ta), chu chu chu (chu), na na na na na (Nu Abo, electric shock), cha cha cha (pinocchio). so what i’m tryinna say is it’s like their music identity.! so f(x) for me.

35. 2NE1