f(x) Hot Summer – Kpop Music Mondays

June 20, 2011

Comments

Flaxton Street in Kpop Videos

Flaxton Street in Kpop Videos

Ok, so it seems like since we introduced our Kprop shop guy that we can’t stop ourselves from noticing all of the recycled props in Kpop videos. The use of Flaxton Street in F.T. Island’s “Hello Hello” was when we first started noticing the recycling of props, but now it seems like everything’s being recycled (or maybe we’re just thinking too much into this). The tank in this video looks like a painted version of the one in GD&TOP’s “Knock Out” and the telephone booth sure looks like the one in 2NE1’s “Lonely”. Korea doesn’t even really have a lot of telephone booths, or at least, we haven’t seen many that look like the telephone booths in these videos. We’re starting to think that there actually IS a Kprop shop somewhere here in Korea, some wearhouse that stores lots of random stuff in it that Kpop record labels rent out for their videos. We don’t know enough about the movie industry to know how this works, but someone mentioned last week that recycling material is common in the movie industry. If there is a Kprop shop, we call dibs on calling it the Kprop shop! They better not use that name!

Also, we might have been harping on about the heat issue for a bit too long. There’s a good reason behind it, though! Seriously, it has gotten very, very hot here in Korea. Really hot. And we don’t like it. We wilt in heat. Wintertime is best for us. We even sleep with the windows open, because we love the cold air. This time of year, though, is just inhospitable. Yuck! Worst part about it all is that our Air Conditioner is acting up. It’s not spitting out cold air in the afternoon. ARRGGGH!! So the only thing we could think of while we watched this video, sitting in our apartment and sweating, is how absurd it was for f(x) to dance around in a cloudless summer day in what looked like leather. Come on! Leather! We can barely wear sleeveless shirt without erupting into flames.

Is their dancing in leather in the heat outside really absurd, though? We kind of have our slight doubts. f(x) mention in the song something along the lines of showing the sweaty foreigners what to wear, dress in black, or something like that. We’ve noticed that Korean people don’t really seem to be affected by the heat as much as we are. They’re not sweating that much, and they often wear a lot more clothing in the summer than we could imagine wearing. Really! What’s your secret, Korean people? Please tell us! Are you really not as sweaty and hot as the two of us are, or is it that you really are sweaty and hot, but you’re just not showing it? Riding the bus in Korea is torture for us as well: taking the crammed bus from Seoul back to Bucheon, and the bus has nothing but two tiny windows in the back, which nobody wants to open, and barely any AC on at all either, and nobody seems bothered by this. HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!

We touched lightly, in passing, on the idea of recycling songs for use in Kpop, specifically SM’s rampant repackaging of other people’s music. We didn’t want to talk about it in depth in f(x)’s video, because we didn’t want to take away from the focus of an awesome song and fun video, so we’re saving this rant for a different video. We’ll post it tomorrow, on our bonus channel, and write about it in depth here on our site. For now, if you don’t know what we’re talking about, you can see here:

KE$HA – Run Devil Run vs SNSD – Run Devil Run

Kristine Elezaj – Razor vs f(x) – Danger

Monrose – Hot Summer vs f(x) – Hot Summer

Now, again, we’re not going to get into this here. What we want to avoid outright, though, is making anyone believe that we’re accusing SM of shenanigans, stealing songs, or anything illegal. They have bought the rights to these songs legally. Does that mean that they should re-release these songs once other people have sung them, though? We’ll talk about that tomorrow.

Anyhow, since we still are big fans of f(x) – and Amber especially after we talked to her when we were Backstage at Inkigayo – we recommend you check out f(x)’s Hot Summer Album here. It ships internationally. Huzzah!

Comments

f(x) Hot Summer – Kpop Music Mondays

1. KARA!! Go Go Summer actually sounds like a summer song :D

2. Kara’s GO GO Summer is the best

3. I like f(x) better. Kara is cute and all, but I like the colors in f(x) better

4. omg…. i guess “copying” or  “borrow” each other’s hits doing another version is a typical thing with Asian pop music industry… that includes Jpop(Japanese pop)  Kpop (Korean Pop) , or Cpop (Chinese pop)… and vice versa… with English pop songs (European, Australian, US, Canadian)

There was a Chinese band who took Canadian’s David’s Usher song into Chinese.
    (try to guess which song “without reading the youtube details” lol :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn308pbgUqc )

5. the koreans not sweating thing coculd it have anything to do with the sweat sheets iv heard of

“…..A stick on and deodorizing disposable cotton pad
    that effortlessly absorbs underarm perspiration to keep your clothes
    (and you!) dry and smelling fresh all day long. The highly absorbent
    pads lock in sweat to prevent embarrassing clothing stains and at only 1
    mm thick, they are virtually invisible and will never be noticed even
    when you raise your arms. For single use only; do not wash, dry or iron
    clothes with the pad still attached………”

6. f(x) lacks group chemistry and cohesion.  They seem like a group of cute girls randomly thrown together. I only can really appreciate Luna, even though Amber adds interest to the group.

7. sm also did the same thing with tvxq’s mirotic cept they worked it out by region. tvxq got asia and the other artist, i forgot her name, she got europe and north america i think.

and im azn, but i sweat like crazy too XD its kinda of annoying wen like my friends and i go out, but im the only one sweating XD

8. I vote for Kara (any time)

9. HOLY CRAP I’M GLAD I’M NOT THE ONLY FOREIGNER DYING OF HEAT HERE IN KR! Seriously, if you find out a secret let me know because this SUCKS! It’s not even the hottest part of the year!

Also, I’m really looking forward to your video on SME and the reselling already released songs. You’d think with how much money they’re making they could house some more permanent songwriters specifically for SME.

10. hot summer <3

11. oh. my. gosh.  you guys are so hilarious!  seriously, your videos get better and better, each and every time!  thank you for these creative-educational-funny-totallywonderful videos!!

12. I vote for f(x) Hot Summer!!! :D I love them anyways!

13. f(x)-Hot Summer!

14. noooooo you threw SHINee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. HOLY CRAP I’M GLAD I’M NOT THE ONLY FOREIGNER DYING OF HEAT HERE IN KR! Seriously, if you find out a secret let me know because this SUCKS! It’s not even the hottest part of the year!

16. Is that a Big Bang wallpaper?? Of course it is..! I love those photos from “Dazed & Confused” and it’s really cool to find out that you just love it as much I do..! Big Bang Fighting.!

And my vote goes to F(x) Hot Summer..

17. The original version of the song was definitely better…f(x)’s version…was a bit of a disaster..sigh I hope f(x) is given better songs soon, and Amber is given more parts soon gah! >< I pick Kara for my vote, btw :)

18. Have you noticed that JYJ aren’t rollin’ down their sexy windows anymore? They kinda just hold their fists out – no rollin’.  Seriously, check any recent performance of Ayyy girl and you’ll see what I mean.

I wonder if they’ve seen eatyourkimchi? LOL!

19. definitely KARA :)

20. That’s a very cool wallpaper!!
    I have the same Dazed and Confused pictures as my wallpaper and I just keep staring at GD’s blond hair which is very distracting…
    ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹
     I’d like to share a link which is VERY useful to all international VIP ‘cuz they are very up-to-date =)

enjoy!!^^

21. Hot Summer wins. That song is so addicting. The arobic/air my crotch dance move is one of the first moves I can actually dance, so…huzzah!

22. Go Go Summer by KARA!!!

23. kara…

24. i personally think that f(x)’s hot summer is much better. their MVs are always colorful and fun to watch! :)

25. i find go go summer better than hot summer so…. KARA for me :)

26. OMGsun its sort of weird seeing my name appear on the request list because its Carmen as well XDDDD…………JYJ 4 LIFE….Love you Simon and Martina…..:DDD

27. kara’s go go summer

28. kara’s go go summer, hands down

29. KARA!!KARA!!KARA!!KARA!!KARA!! GO GO SUMMER! THEIR DANCE WAS WEIRD BUT FUNNY~!!KARA GO GO SUMMER FOR ME~!

30. KARA!!KARA!!KARA!!KARA!!KARA!! GO GO SUMMER! THEIR DANCE WAS WEIRD BUT FUNNY~!!KARA GO GO SUMMER FOR ME~!

31. The funny thing is Victoria and Amber are kind of foreigners, so the other f(x) girls will teach them how to wear? yeah right.

and i vote for KARA’S GO GO SUMMER!!!

32. kara! ;)

33. SME receives 1000+ submissions every week from all over the world. They have full time employees just to evaluate submissions. They select a few to license. I heard this on a TV interview.

34. I vote for KARA because it had more of a summer feeling to it then f(x)’s music video(: YES! MARTINA WAS DEFEATED! (no offense LOL) SHINee RULES!(:

35. im gonna say KARA . their mv has more of a summer feel than hot summer.
    summer = beachhhh ~!

36. so cool xD

37. How hot is it temperature wise in Korea??? I decided to check cause you made it sound horrible but it doesn’t look that hot. Man, i wish it were hot in Utah, it was seriously FREEZING yesterday-50 degrees (F) is waaaayy tooo cold :) But it should be better for the rest of the week.

38. yo_