Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

January 25, 2011

Comments

Oh boy. This video’s now as old as TVXQ “Keep Your Head Down” and MBLAQ “Cry,” and there are lots of new songs that we could be reviewing instead, but – well – did we have any choice? Sure, it was delayed as more requests came for the other songs, but after Martina’s sadness last week lots of people pitched in to add their vote for GD&TOP’s Knock Out, so here it is!

Right off the bat, we can say that we don’t like this song as much as “High High,” but we do like this video better. This song is really catchy, sure, but it doesn’t have the same kind of shout-my-heart-out-cuz-I-love-this-song energy to it. But this video’s a lot cooler, and a lot more like what we’d expect from a YG Entertainment video. GD&TOP sit in butt chairs, dance around a tank, and have a puppy. A puppy! Also, here’s a cheesy joke: Why do GD&TOP have Segway’s in this video? Cuz that’s how they role! Ha! Lame joke, I know.

Also, we’ve really started to notice how much Top isn’t into dancing. Like, at all. He’ll do it for a video, but barely, and a bit awkwardly. What’s he doing at the end of the video? Riding an invisible motorcycle? Cuz that’s how he rolls! Ah, no that joke wasn’t funny.

More seriously, though, we’re finding the music banning going on lately a bit silly. Sorry, but it’s silly. This song has been banned by KBS, SBS, and MBC. Why? Not because it depicts drugs or violence or sex. Not even because it uses profanity. But because it’s somehow considered damaging to the national psyche. Can somebody please tell me what this national psyche is, what the rules are for it, and – more importantly what’s the criteria for what’s damaging or not? Seriously, a ban like this is just silly, and doesn’t paint Korean Broadcasting in a good light. And what’s the ban doing apart from making the song more popular and sought after? The taboo makes it more interesting. Ah. Rubbish. Korean Broadcasting, please stop banning songs.

As always, JB and Annie from [닉쑤] Enjoy Your Happy Life~* are awesome for so diligently translating all of our videos into Korean. Huzzah! Also, if you’re as much a fan of GD&TOP as Martina is, you can buy GD&TOP’s Album by clicking the link here. Yeah!

Comments

Kpop Music Mondays: GD&TOP “Knock Out”

1. GD and TOP's Knock !!

2. gd and top of course! their video really blows my mind unexpectedly. their videos are totally the definition of cool, awesome, and dorky but sexy. no idols have don't this kind of video before. great job GD and TOP and DIPLO. ssoo addicting

3. Someone knows the real title of the "happy party music" ?
    This is so addictive ! :0
    I love Martina's dance too :p

4. Only GD&TOP! I love SNSD very very much, but 'visual dream' is only for promote Intel! I think that wasn't good idea… (Although they maybe took a money) And it's only my think, GD&TOP's musicality and quality is very very good even though Knock out's lyrics is only praise themselves.

And request: Seungri-'What should I do?'
    Wow, its autotune is very neat than other singers, and its music video is supa dupa sexy. Come to think of it, Seungri's music is all sexy! (ex: Strong baby, What should I do, etc. (I don't like strong baby cause it's lyrics is too erotic to hear!))

P.S. I'm Korean so I may incorrect in English grammar, and sorry about it. ^^

5. what do u mean top don't really dance and they can't sing. are u serious? have u seen garagara go? in that videos top totally look like dancing to me. and they are the best singers in korea. wahhh
    u should watch more bigbang concert or live videos though.

6. My bad! Sorry about the confusion. We filmed this really late at night (past midnight) after having a really busy weekend. Sometimes we totally don't notice that what we're saying might be interpreted the wrong way. Bah!

7. Have you guys ever seen a movie with TOP in it? It's something like watching TOP doing all sorts of things for 2 hours. I was Just wondring cause Martina seems like a big fan of TOPs

8. Yeah Simon! I vote for SNSD!!

9. I like SNSD but not as much as I love GD&Top, my vote goes to the double combo.

10. i vote for GD & TOP.

11. GD & TOP of course!!!!! YG does much better videos!!!
    request: To stay in YG spirit, please do Seungri's VVIP or What Can I Do >< we need to support Bigbang's maknae :D it didnt come out long ago so its quite recent and interesting, and you get to see another side of YG videos :D btw since Martina is a big fan of YG, could you say something about the Kwon Twins? we see them in many videos and i would like some funny and interesting points of view about them :)
    I love your show!!! It's bbeokigayo too ^^

12. GD&TOP vs SNSD
    i say GD&TOP

i hope you could do G.NA 'Black and White' for next week :D

13. GD&TOP FTW. :D

Oh and GD and TOP can sing,Simon D:
    There are enough examples on the album.

14. GD & TOP KO!!!

15. GD&TOP!!!!woohoooo!!!

16. SNSD! (just because I'm a fangirl). But i love knock out too! :D . . . . I have a feeling that SNSD will get crushed, hmmm, why is that? let's check the comments-OMG! they're getting crushed. aaaaahhh, my nine angels <3 T_T Gz too GD&Top tough :D

17. Hmm even though I'm not a great fan of SNSD and Bigbang, I would choose BigBang (FYI, I'M A GIRL) MWAHAHAHA

18. 1. TOP's not very confident in his singing voice. GD doesn't like singing either but he's warmed up to it. They're rappers, not singers. GD, however, is pretty good in singing. Listen to Baby Goodnight's live performances.

2. TOP does not dance.

3. That puppy is Gaho, he's GD's dog. He's mentioned in the song too. "It's insulting when you like other oppas, when my dog Gaho is more popular than them."

4. That stuffed toy is Chow Chow. Seungri owns it and is basically Seungri's baby. GD borrowed it for the video to cuddle it :)

As for the MV, GDTOP's Knockout. YG's MVs are always high quality.

19. Yeah finally! Thanks! ^___^
    Of course my vote goes to GD&TOP! ^____^

20. lol…
    I think it's obvious GD&Top will win this round…
    lol… nice try Simon…
    but… the category of the videos are too different too… :/

21. That's a great story, in fact :D Thanks for sharing.

22. Hey Guys,

This was easily your best KPOP Music Monday episode to me. I really enjoyed this one. I'll give me vote to GD & Top. Keep up the stellar work.

The Waygook Effect

23. Looks like someone got a haircut ((:
    GD&TOP OF COURSE, YG <3
    Do Infinite's BTD next week please and thank you!

24. Kay

What? No subs for what Simon ACTUALLY said? :P…er I mean Simon your voice was so manly in this video…..
    When you said the only convincing crier was JoKwon….I could see it….when you said he probably cries everyday…..I had to have a sad laugh inside….poor Kwonnie….
    My vote goes to SNSD….only because they don't have butt chairs….which disturbed me.

25. snsd visual dream ftw

26. duh! knock out by GD&TOP! hands down! XD gr8 review, guys! Martina's so cute in here!

27. SNSD VISUAL DREAMS

p.s. did someone have a birthday cause the age changed if so happy birthday

p.p.s haha pp I love you guys

28. Simon doing Mobb Deep LOL

29. pleasee. why did u guys even put snsd as the rival? they not even have the same standard.
    gd and top are overratedly great. 100000% for gd and top and like 0.0001% snsd
    next week please put seungri's VVip and what can i do. he's justin bieber's rival u know. WATCH BRAZIL TV.

30. Eve

GD & TOP!! Totally agree with Martina!! Great snow celebration scene and VoiceOver. Next week request – TOP -Turn It Up or Seungri – What Can I Do.

31. can put the video super luv teen top ??

32. I vote for GD&TOP!!!! <3

and Seungri' V.V.I.P for next week please!! :) Or Park Jung Min's Not Alone. I'd be happy w/ either one!

33. i vote for GD and TOP's Knock Out over SNSD
    thanks sooooo much for reviewing this MV
    and i hope you'll do Seungri's next week

34. Yup, yup, they definitely look like "wrappers" in this video!
    TOP actually said that while promoting for GD&TOP (in a High High-era interview), GD told him that he (GD) would do all the moving & prancing around and to just occupy the middle of the stage, but after the 3rd performance, you could see TOP got a little more into it and started looking less like a rusted robot on stage.

I vote for GD&TOP over SNSD (who's music video seems like an advert for orange juice or something…)

35. Both GD&TOP and SNSD's songs/videos are good but this is defiantly not SNSD's best work. I mean the line for example in the front row someone was always covering up someone in the back. Also I thought they were supposed to be getting away from the cute scene? Haha but the dance was different which is Kool and the outfits weren't bad. I like how they put more of Sooyoung in ( She's the best!) They usually always have her off to the side or in the back. But GD&TOP win! I love the video y'all made this week! Y'all are great!
    How about 2NE1 – Don't stop the music or Teen Top – Supa luv

36. I vote for GD & TOP! :D

And I agree, the reason for banning this song was RIDICULOUS lol

37. GD & TOP!!!

38. I have to put my vote for GD&TOP. Love them! :)

39. GD&TOP video!!
    Great choice Martina~haha :)